Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | Pirate101

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,243 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,246,189
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » am i correct from my readings...

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
30 posts found
  Hancakes

Novice Member

Joined: 2/06/11
Posts: 1106

4/07/13 11:33:30 AM#21
Originally posted by xpiher
Originally posted by Hancakes
Originally posted by xpiher
Originally posted by Hancakes
Originally posted by xpiher
Originally posted by Aragon100
Originally posted by itchmon

i see thanks for the advice.

 

it's really a shame because with just a couple rules changes and i think it would basically be an ideal game for me (and probably others)

 

it's like, o the devs understand PVP should have consequences... i agree with that (no wow arenas for me when the only penalty for losing is that you've lost)  but lets take that a step further.  all actions in a true sandbox should have consequences.  that includes "crime".  it makes the criminals more notorious because it makes their career of crime so much harder to do well, and it also makes it more rare while not making it nonexistent.

Ultima Online got it right with statloss for PK.s.

Without consequences being red is just another colour, it's ridicolous.

The thI'll repeat it again: Territory control games cannot have hard PK consquences like that. Look at EvE for a good alignment system. 

DF1 had consequences and  what does Eve have to do with DFUW not having any alignment system? 

It did not have consquences. 

Oh really! Getting tower zapped in NPC cities wasnt a consequence?    

Not really because

 

1) You could be healed through it

2) Chaos cities offered you everything a NPC city did

3) There was no point in following alignment at all once you were in a clan with a city (every clan had a city at some point)

Thus it WAS a consequence,...not everyone had access to clan cities, NPC cities were safer and rolling into a city red required a group.  To say it wasn't a consequence is completely false.

 

If going red wasn't a deterrent why did people grind it off?  Going red was crippling at the beginnging when DF had a healthy population. 

 

 

  User Deleted
4/07/13 1:54:43 PM#22

OP highlights the largest misconception with games like this.  That people are going to grief you non stop.

 

At launch there will be people camping outside of safe areas, considering most people will be in the same areas its going to be like this.  Just like in 1.0 as the game progresses, as clans fight for cities and establish themselves your going to get a very small group of people who care enough to kill noobs, and even at that none of your gear or items, aside from consumables, are going to be worth looting.  In 1.0 a new player was more likely to recieve a bag overflowing with gear from the older players than to die and lose his stuff, though sometimes you would get ganked then given loot.

 

I know theres a big portion of mmo players who are TERRIFED at losing their items and fantasize about games like this being a nightmare with them getting ganked every 30 seconds and having to unstiall the game, tears in eye, over the issue.

Its not like that, launch will be rough if your solo or retarded.  If you dislike pvp then im not sure why you would even consider.  If you are one of those "well i like pvp but it has to be super fair and im that guy who will say yes to a duel then take 45min preparing for it" then this isnt the game for you.

 

The game is much more about the clan vs clan meta game and seiges.  Yeah youll get ganked, yes youll probably lose some easily obtainable items, and if your not in a clan and dont have back up...then your just not going to have the areas of the map that you know will be more safe than others.

 

As the game matures youll see much less interest in the starter areas, the good stuff is on the pvp islands and center map, that is where the decent players will be and that is where the good players will go for pvp.  That and raiding enemy clan holdings.

I LOL at these comments "i really want to play this game BUT..." no you dont really want to play you just want to complain that there is no pvp system and no pvp sytem like in whatever game you do play.  Its cut and dry with the pvp.

For the record the douchebags you speak of will be tormented in the game.  Their holdings will get taken, they will get camped at whatever chaos bank they will be forced to live out of, yeah they will kill a bunch of noobs and people will probably get heated about it.  Its just how it goes.  Join a larger clan, make a small clan and ally with others...or be at the mercy of those who want an easy target...unless you are god mode at the game then youll do fine solo and enjoy scroaching and interfering with larger clans seiges which can be fun.

  Hancakes

Novice Member

Joined: 2/06/11
Posts: 1106

4/07/13 2:55:44 PM#23
Originally posted by BrownAle

 

For the record the douchebags you speak of will be tormented in the game.  Their holdings will get taken, they will get camped at whatever chaos bank they will be forced to live out of, yeah they will kill a bunch of noobs and people will probably get heated about it.  

What are you talking about?       Why wouldn't they just live in a NPC city with all it's protections, resources and no fear of reprisal? I'd assume you haven't yet played DFUW based on your above misinformed statement.  Chaos bank???? There is absolutely no consequences to griefing / going red in DFUW. 

You can farm noobs to you hearts desire then walk into the safety of town to bank your newly gained loot. While your victims stand there unable to do anything about it due to you being in the same safe zone. 

  Realbigdeal

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/28/08
Posts: 1648

4/07/13 3:02:20 PM#24

lol, well said everyone. I don't have to add anything else in this thread.

DF UW is dull and boring without any consequenses for the pkers. Lol, you kill 5-10 players and they can't go looking for you because ho wait, you're in the safe zone too.

I hope it's temporary. 

 

Xpiher losing every argument in the main forum and in here too. Laughable. 

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

  TheJoda

Novice Member

Joined: 8/12/10
Posts: 492

"Yes...... that's a Duck Staff of D00M!!!"

4/07/13 3:05:16 PM#25
Originally posted by itchmon

am i correct in hearing that there is no "criminal flag" or "pk flag" system in dfuw?

 

i really wanted to play uw, and i dont mind pvp with looting, but if there are no consequences for being a douche, guess who is going to show up and play the game?  douches.

 

it might be a dealbreaker for me.  is it true?  if so are there any rumblings about either changing that rule or else having a server with a different ruleset?

 

thx for answers, as always, in advance

 

 

 

...I wish i can be red flagged for buying this turd of over promised under delivered shell of a game.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

  User Deleted
4/07/13 6:14:40 PM#26
Originally posted by BrownAle

 In 1.0 a new player was more likely to recieve a bag overflowing with gear from the older players than to die and lose his stuff, though sometimes you would get ganked then given loot.

 

This is absolutely true. In fact, I got way more from being ganked and then talking with the other player and asking for tips on how to play. Usually, they just killed because they didn't know if you were a noob or  not. I got mounts, armor, weapons, and offers of help if I needed it. Sometimes they just kept the reagents and gold. 

 

Sometimes there were people who just killed you for no apparent reason, but that was the exception. And I never got camped. That was in 2 years of playing DF, mostly solo except for running in a small 5-man clan for a little while. 

 

Yesterday, I browsed the public clan section of the forums and saw a lot of clans recruiting. I found one that suits my play times an play style and joined last night.  It's not a problem to find a group of people to play with, and that will pretty much take care of your ganking problem. 

  itchmon

Elite Member

Joined: 1/21/07
Posts: 1552

 
OP  4/07/13 8:50:15 PM#27
Originally posted by BrownAle

OP highlights the largest misconception with games like this.  That people are going to grief you non stop.

 

At launch there will be people camping outside of safe areas, considering most people will be in the same areas its going to be like this.  Just like in 1.0 as the game progresses, as clans fight for cities and establish themselves your going to get a very small group of people who care enough to kill noobs, and even at that none of your gear or items, aside from consumables, are going to be worth looting.  In 1.0 a new player was more likely to recieve a bag overflowing with gear from the older players than to die and lose his stuff, though sometimes you would get ganked then given loot.

 

I know theres a big portion of mmo players who are TERRIFED at losing their items and fantasize about games like this being a nightmare with them getting ganked every 30 seconds and having to unstiall the game, tears in eye, over the issue.

Its not like that, launch will be rough if your solo or retarded.  If you dislike pvp then im not sure why you would even consider.  If you are one of those "well i like pvp but it has to be super fair and im that guy who will say yes to a duel then take 45min preparing for it" then this isnt the game for you.

 

The game is much more about the clan vs clan meta game and seiges.  Yeah youll get ganked, yes youll probably lose some easily obtainable items, and if your not in a clan and dont have back up...then your just not going to have the areas of the map that you know will be more safe than others.

 

As the game matures youll see much less interest in the starter areas, the good stuff is on the pvp islands and center map, that is where the decent players will be and that is where the good players will go for pvp.  That and raiding enemy clan holdings.

I LOL at these comments "i really want to play this game BUT..." no you dont really want to play you just want to complain that there is no pvp system and no pvp sytem like in whatever game you do play.  Its cut and dry with the pvp.

For the record the douchebags you speak of will be tormented in the game.  Their holdings will get taken, they will get camped at whatever chaos bank they will be forced to live out of, yeah they will kill a bunch of noobs and people will probably get heated about it.  Its just how it goes.  Join a larger clan, make a small clan and ally with others...or be at the mercy of those who want an easy target...unless you are god mode at the game then youll do fine solo and enjoy scroaching and interfering with larger clans seiges which can be fun.

i'm actually very heartened that in your opinion, and it sounds like an informed opinion, the game will not devolve into a gankfest.  that makes me lean more towards trying it.  i didnt know about the charity of vets in df1.  i had heard that people were essentially just asses 100% of the time and i'm happy i was incorrect.

 

the ad hominem attacks on the other hand are kind of uncalled for dont you think.

 

and dont think that i, or any other player with the same opinion as i have, are just afraid of losing stuff, or of an unfair fight.   eve is full of unfair fights and i've been on both sides of them.  the only thing that i, personally, fear,about DFUW, is losing 30 bucks and 20+hours of my life.  that's why i'm trying to figure out whether or not to buy it and spend the time to give it a fair try.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

  Realbigdeal

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/28/08
Posts: 1648

4/07/13 9:15:23 PM#28
Originally posted by Naowut
Originally posted by itchmon

am i correct in hearing that there is no "criminal flag" or "pk flag" system in dfuw?

 

i really wanted to play uw, and i dont mind pvp with looting, but if there are no consequences for being a douche.

 

[mod edit]

You don't know shit about the DF community if you think theyre not. 

Now, nothing will stop us with no flagging system. I will kill anything on my way even if you're not worth it. It's not like i will have to pay a price for killing a super naked newb who just wanted to travel a little further away from his safe zone to explore. Being red doesnt matter anymore. Then, il take your rank 1 weapon to salvage it and receiving some of your rage tells.

Seriously, i don't know who in his right mind would dare skipping an opportunity to kill anything when there's no consequences. There's no BG's or arena's so we will find anyway to compensate. 

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

  xpiher

Advanced Member

Joined: 8/22/08
Posts: 3301

4/07/13 10:40:06 PM#29
Originally posted by Hancakes
Originally posted by xpiher
Originally posted by Hancakes
Originally posted by xpiher
Originally posted by Hancakes
Originally posted by xpiher
Originally posted by Aragon100
Originally posted by itchmon

i see thanks for the advice.

 

it's really a shame because with just a couple rules changes and i think it would basically be an ideal game for me (and probably others)

 

it's like, o the devs understand PVP should have consequences... i agree with that (no wow arenas for me when the only penalty for losing is that you've lost)  but lets take that a step further.  all actions in a true sandbox should have consequences.  that includes "crime".  it makes the criminals more notorious because it makes their career of crime so much harder to do well, and it also makes it more rare while not making it nonexistent.

Ultima Online got it right with statloss for PK.s.

Without consequences being red is just another colour, it's ridicolous.

The thI'll repeat it again: Territory control games cannot have hard PK consquences like that. Look at EvE for a good alignment system. 

DF1 had consequences and  what does Eve have to do with DFUW not having any alignment system? 

It did not have consquences. 

Oh really! Getting tower zapped in NPC cities wasnt a consequence?    

Not really because

 

1) You could be healed through it

2) Chaos cities offered you everything a NPC city did

3) There was no point in following alignment at all once you were in a clan with a city (every clan had a city at some point)

Thus it WAS a consequence,...not everyone had access to clan cities, NPC cities were safer and rolling into a city red required a group.  To say it wasn't a consequence is completely false.

 

If going red wasn't a deterrent why did people grind it off?  Going red was crippling at the beginnging when DF had a healthy population. 

  

Going red wasn't crippling in the begining because you could easily kill another race person to go back blue and chaos cities were EASY to live out of in the begining because there was an unspoken law between everyone in the chaos city that fights dont happen in its borders. 

The only people it negitvely affected where those who actively tried to stay blue and potentially carebearish solo players. Everyone else ignored it COMPLETELY because it was pointless.

 

Note: I hate the current implementation of safe zones. I've developed a comprehensive system to address the issue of safe zones which is posted on the DFO boards. You can read it https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ER9hl7PnrZb2OcTS3hEKnWjEbGNgRoeRS_Sfgq2AGUY/edit under the pvp rule set


Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

  itchmon

Elite Member

Joined: 1/21/07
Posts: 1552

 
OP  4/07/13 11:13:30 PM#30

xpiher i cant speak for much of yur suggestions because i havent played UW yet, but your pvp tiers is a good starting-off point for a discussion IMHO (which, as we both have a good respect for eve, you probably could have figured out without me telling you).

 

instead of limiting the safe zones by number though i would suggest doing the designation of lands by percentage, ex: 10 % of the landmasses safe, 40% med-safe and 50% FFA or something like that.  (i think eve is 25%each high and lowsec and 50% null, not counting WH)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

2 Pages « 1 2 Search