Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,600 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,175,179
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » Swords/Shields not used often? Always 2 handed weapons?

5 posts found
  Imperator101

Apprentice Member

OP  12/07/12 12:02:22 AM#1
I have seen many videos of the original Darkfall and it seems like most people use 2 handed weapons. Why is this? Is the game unbalanced and 2 handed weapon are better to use? I prefer using a sword and shield, hope I won't be at a disadvantage for using it.

phantomghost

Novice Member

"Kill me, my man kills you, that's how you lose."

12/07/12 12:10:27 AM#2

I prefer using 1h and shield or 2 1h but the game does not seem to focus on 1h combat. 

Depending on your class role 1h and shielf may be best, but I cannot say for sure.  Most likely you will see the majority of players using 2h weapons in the melee roles.

"I see they watchin' me and takin' notes on my moves, Run up on me it's all I want I ain't got nothin' to lose."

karmath

Novice Member

12/07/12 12:19:07 AM#3
Originally posted by Impeator101
I have seen many videos of the original Darkfall and it seems like most people use 2 handed weapons. Why is this? Is the game unbalanced and 2 handed weapon are better to use? I prefer using a sword and shield, hope I won't be at a disadvantage for using it.

It's due to the range of two handers being vastly superior to one handed weapons, so its incredibly easier to land a hit. The defensive stats on a sheild in DF1 did not make it an even trade off in standard melee combat. While 1 handers/sheild was used, it was usually only used as a clutch defense when you were CC'd in a Wall Of Force and could not move, but quickly switched back to a two hander after the CC duration.

Hopefully we see an decent incentive for a role to use a sword and board in UH, if not make a thread on the DF boards post launch and try and get people behind the idea. AV seems to be listening quite close this time around so a pretty common suggestion like this will get their attention at some point if it hasnt allready.

BuniontToes

Novice Member

12/07/12 1:35:41 AM#4

It is actually due to a nerf on how disabling blow was implemented.  In the bieginning it was a difficcult but semi viable play style.

Hopefully it  is  more balanced in DFO2.

Even with the nerf, 1H  + Shield was an essential part of anyones kit for defensive situations though.

Jupsto

Advanced Member

12/07/12 3:38:35 AM#5
Originally Posted by schlock: Will one-handed melee ever be viable? If so, how do you plan on doing that? We feel that the balance and importance between the different play styles is not like we want them to be.
  • We spoke above on the armor specialization. You can excel at using one-handed melee to the point where you should be able to compete with other play-styles. Combined with a shield and a new mechanic for blocking , you will be very viable within the constraints of the melee specialty, since there are trade-offs to be made.

this is from an old darkfall 2.0 interview. I really hope there is a new blocking system, but am kind of doubtfull.

My blog: