Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,297 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,246,615
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » Aventurine underestimated the force of dedicated crafters

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
63 posts found
  VendettaDFA

Novice Member

12/04/12 3:04:18 AM#21
Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Aragon100

Dedicated crafters would bring more subscribers and a larger variety of players, not just the PvP interested ones.

Unlikely, since game would be still centered on PVP with little space for crafters.

To attract more players, they would need to shift from their core design which they are apparently not going to do, considering upcoming re-launch.

It is better for Aventruine to focus on things they can improve and crafting and economy is far beyond their capability - resources and ability wise.

Be happy they are not trying to make crafting and economy worthwhile, it would be a disaster and lots of wasted development time.

Then enjoy your little niche game. Failure to implement a successful crafting and economic design is a disaster and would be a waste of my time and money. Frankly never even knew there was a Darkfall game previously out there. This must be why.

Raxeon

Hard Core Member

12/04/12 3:36:49 AM#22
Originally posted by VendettaDFA

Dedicated crafters would bring more subscribers and a larger variety of players, not just the PvP interested ones.

Unlikely, since game would be still centered on PVP with little space for crafters.

To attract more players, they would need to shift from their core design which they are apparently not going to do, considering upcoming re-launch.

It is better for Aventruine to focus on things they can improve and crafting and economy is far beyond their capability - resources and ability wise.

Be happy they are not trying to make crafting and economy worthwhile, it would be a disaster and lots of wasted development time.

Then enjoy your little niche game. Failure to implement a successful crafting and economic design is a disaster and would be a waste of my time and money. Frankly never even knew there was a Darkfall game previously out there. This must be why.

darkfalls crafting wasnt that bad and it had meaning and uw its changimg it a lil bit i believe. with out crafting you have no good gear

Aragon100

Elite Member

OP  12/04/12 10:31:57 AM#23
Originally posted by Raxeon

darkfalls crafting wasnt that bad and it had meaning and uw its changimg it a lil bit i believe. with out crafting you have no good gear

A almost dead economy and a crafting system that make all selfdependent on all gears isnt a good craftingsystem.

Darkfall werent ment to only be a PvP game. Read up on the early intentions.

Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

12/04/12 10:48:56 AM#24
Originally posted by Raxeon

A almost dead economy and a crafting system that make all selfdependent on all gears isnt a good craftingsystem.

Darkfall werent ment to only be a PvP game. Read up on the early intentions.

Cant call themselves a sandbox and neglect the other aspects outside of pvp lol. And when as stated above, every player is selfdependednt, it ruins the player economy in a huge way. But most combatants dont care, and this is why 97% of player didnt care for DF1.  You can not have a sandbox without a strong player economy, pve, pvp, housing, crafting, and so much more. Them slacking on things outside of pvp will only hurt this game, DF1 had what 10k subs? Bet you if it was a true sandbox they would have a lot more.

User Deleted
12/04/12 10:51:00 AM#25

Not going to happen.  If you want skill caps and lots of alt rolling youll have to try failed sandboxes like MO or Dawntide...well MO since dawntide is dead.

I like i can pump out some stuff on my combat without worrying about having to reroll or regrind...same with recourcing....its really one of the things that makes this game unique...no need for more than one character...which is why im assuming the wow-kiddies are protesting for the system to be changed to something non-unique.

Perhaps the time and place for these protests was back in 2010...not a few days from launch.

thinktank001

Hard Core Member

12/04/12 11:38:26 AM#26
Originally posted by Onomas

Cant call themselves a sandbox and neglect the other aspects outside of pvp lol. And when as stated above, every player is selfdependednt, it ruins the player economy in a huge way. But most combatants dont care, and this is why 97% of player didnt care for DF1.  You can not have a sandbox without a strong player economy, pve, pvp, housing, crafting, and so much more. Them slacking on things outside of pvp will only hurt this game, DF1 had what 10k subs? Bet you if it was a true sandbox they would have a lot more.

Darkfall: Unholywars was never really designed to be an MMORPG.   If you look at the game as being online and arena based, then everything they have ever done makes a lot more sense.   It also justifies why they have designed their systems to be the way that they are.  

sunny_lifton

Novice Member

12/04/12 12:25:29 PM#27
I think the problem with limiting crafting is that you can only have 1 char per account.  The reason this worked in UO is because you could have multiple alts.  It would take too long for a solo player to have to hunt out a gear set after dieing to be able to get out and pvp.
  Badaboom

Advanced Member

12/04/12 12:27:59 PM#28
@ sunny. You would buy multiple sets. When you are in a pinch you would where monster dropped gear.
  Wulfyn

Novice Member

12/04/12 2:07:23 PM#29

To all the people saying that Darkfall is not about crafting it is about full loot I have a question : why do all the items have attrition? If it is about being able to rob gear off of other people and not about making new stuff then why do all items have a usage limit before they break. Eventually gear, no matter how often it is passed around, will break.

How do you account for that being in the game if crafting doesn't matter?

www.ygworlds.net

Lahuzer

Advanced Member

Sit on my face and tell me that you love me...

12/04/12 2:27:36 PM#30

I was saddened to hear that every1 would eventually be able to make everything. I like my crafting, and I want my crafting in a sandbox to be complex and fun. Hopefully AV can listen to the nerd cries all over about crafting, and can fix it down the line. But I guess I´m hoping for to much here. To much focus on the PVP it seems. Even though I like that aspect as much as the next guy, I would have loved a decent crafting system and a flourishing economy that comes from it as well.

And to tell us crafting lovers that it´s to late to cry about this now and  that we should have done it earlier. Well, we just found out how it´s gonna be now. The desire for a more complexed crafting system has been there all the time.

thinktank001

Hard Core Member

12/05/12 12:48:28 AM#31
Originally posted by Wulfyn

To all the people saying that Darkfall is not about crafting it is about full loot I have a question : why do all the items have attrition? If it is about being able to rob gear off of other people and not about making new stuff then why do all items have a usage limit before they break. Eventually gear, no matter how often it is passed around, will break.

How do you account for that being in the game if crafting doesn't matter?

Nobody said it wasn't about crafting, and about full loot.   It is all about PvP and designing the crafting to supplement it.   If  DF:UW was really about making a full fledge MMO, then they would be changing it and a few orther game mechanics to support a healthy economy.   However, crafting is unchanged from the original because it needs to support PvP.

stonylein

Novice Member

12/05/12 2:07:59 AM#32

1 topic dominating the forum? rotfl you should stop taking drugs, kid. there were 2 or 3 people who spammed a few threads about this but noone actually cared and they are almost all vanished already.

also, tasos already announced there wont be any crafting limits so this is completely futile.

DarthRaiden

Novice Member

i make art,
till someone dies.

Forum Terrorist

12/05/12 6:10:04 AM#33
Originally posted by stonylein

1 topic dominating the forum? rotfl you should stop taking drugs, kid. there were 2 or 3 people who spammed a few threads about this but noone actually cared and they are almost all vanished already.

also, tasos already announced there wont be any crafting limits so this is completely futile.

Way to reinterpret the result of 75,22% on official forum DON'T like the way of how AV treats crafting in DF:UW.

75,22% of DF playerbase  say NO to DF:UW crafting, 24,22% think its ok for no limititaion.

also posts on various crafting topics on first page = 400+ 

with second being "get rid of global messages" = 100+  (another sandbox related topic and request) 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
$OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Genadi

Novice Member

Stupidity can't be taught

12/05/12 6:18:15 AM#34

He said in the same interview about 10 times that "this isn't set in stone" and "we really want player feedback about this".

Calling someone kid on the internet to further your point was redundant in 2000.

sakkdaddy

Novice Member

12/05/12 6:21:18 AM#35

I don't think that it's so worthwhile to get bent out of shape with their decision.  I personally prefer more depth to things like crafting, and also other sandbox elements that are even less related to combat and conquest.  However, this isn't going to be a big deal at release either way.  Limiting crafting specialities is only one approach to having a healthy economy.  It looks like they are focusing more on raw resources as a way to stimulate a healthy economy over crafting specialities, and that approach has some obvious gameplay benefits as well.

I think that it would be cool to have crafting roles that could be changed just like other roles though.  Gatherers would have skills to help track nodes and escape gankers.  Seigemasters could have big passive defensive bonuses but minimal offensive skills and be able to transport heavier loads.  That kind of thing.

This close to release though, I wouldn't start yelling that the sky is falling over such a small design decision.  I just want the game to release so I can get my fix.

DarthRaiden

Novice Member

i make art,
till someone dies.

Forum Terrorist

12/05/12 6:46:36 AM#36
Originally posted by sakkdaddy

I don't think that it's so worthwhile to get bent out of shape with their decision.  I personally prefer more depth to things like crafting, and also other sandbox elements that are even less related to combat and conquest.  However, this isn't going to be a big deal at release either way.  Limiting crafting specialities is only one approach to having a healthy economy.  It looks like they are focusing more on raw resources as a way to stimulate a healthy economy over crafting specialities, and that approach has some obvious gameplay benefits as well.

I think that it would be cool to have crafting roles that could be changed just like other roles though.  Gatherers would have skills to help track nodes and escape gankers.  Seigemasters could have big passive defensive bonuses but minimal offensive skills and be able to transport heavier loads.  That kind of thing.

This close to release though, I wouldn't start yelling that the sky is falling over such a small design decision.  I just want the game to release so I can get my fix.

Then what ?  wait for meaningfull crafting  like for promised 4-legged run ?

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
$OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

sakkdaddy

Novice Member

12/05/12 7:13:21 AM#37

Then be thankful that we get a new game, and hope that it truly solves the most important failings of DF1.  Reducing grind, dropping the need to macro 24-7, fixing bugs, and adding the role system are all great changes.  I'm happy to play the game even if it doesn't have everything that I want, as long as these core features are done well.

A lack of specialty crafting roles just isn't a release-killer.  They are more of a 'very nice to have' feature.

Aragon100

Elite Member

OP  12/05/12 8:56:01 AM#38

Stop believing your own lies. 75% of the players that voted dislike today crafting system. That is a vast majority. And there are new crafting threads popping up almost every day. Players want a needed change.

And kid, ROFL, i been arround in one of the most successful hardcore PvP-guilds since UO beta -97 so do the math. We also love complex gaming so a better economy and crafting that give us the players a more interesting game is why i make these threads, who know, maybe Tasos read it? =)

SabbathSMC

Novice Member

12/05/12 9:13:01 AM#39

anyone saying crafting is not a big part of this game has thier head up thier ASS. I played the first one and i was pretty much dedicated crafter. Where do you think all those ships come from? you can just roll up and make one, it takes dedicated crafters.

Weapons armor as well. sure you can get drops as good or better than crafted items but they were lining up for my crafted bows and arrows. And when it came time for ships who do you think was making them lol.

crafters are a much larger part of this game than people realise. and it shows by the poll.

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

stonylein

Novice Member

12/05/12 11:42:39 AM#40

75% rotfl i love how delusional some trolls are

of the 30 people that even did take part in the multiple polls asking the same question, the majority basically just said "no crafting limits" every single time. but who cares anyway. its just funny watching sheep with their futile attempts to change something.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search