Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,545 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,821
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » what does no limit on crafting mean?

13 posts found
  shadowmonke

Novice Member

OP  12/03/12 8:46:07 PM#1

does it mean level 1's can craft top tier gear if they have the mats?

or that you can skill up crafting to eventually craft everything?

if it's the 2nd option then I don't understand how that is bad

Gdemami

Elite Member

12/03/12 8:47:45 PM#2

It means you can skill up and produce anything without any limitations or restrictions - the game is currently now.

How is it bad?

If everyone can produce everything, there is no market since everyone can just craft whatever they want.

jdlamson75

Spotlight Poster

There's some lovely filth down here.

12/03/12 8:50:50 PM#3

I'm not sure if I misunderstood the OP, but there are no "level 1's".  There are no levels.

And yes, as was in DArkfall 1.0, everyone can make everything, given they have bought the skill necessary.

hockeyplayr

Advanced Member

12/03/12 8:56:30 PM#4
Originally posted by Gdemami

It means you can skill up and produce anything without any limitations or restrictions - the game is currently now.

How is it bad?

If everyone can produce everything, there is no market since everyone can just craft whatever they want.

was it that easy to level crafting in the first game? The way I look at it there should be a market if the crafting is grindy.  Not everyone is going to want to put countless hours into training a certain crafting skill if they have enough gold to just buy an item. I am thinking of runescape's way of crafting when I say this

shadowmonke

Novice Member

OP  12/03/12 8:59:10 PM#5

but I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of lazy people that don't really want to waste time on crafting if they can just pvp + buy stuff with the gold they loot from corpses

or sell the mats they find off the corpses on the market to buy clothes

Badaboom

Hard Core Member

12/03/12 9:13:25 PM#6
Originally posted by jdlamson75

I'm not sure if I misunderstood the OP, but there are no "level 1's".  There are no levels.

And yes, as was in DArkfall 1.0, everyone can make everything, given they have bought the skill necessary.

Not completely true as you have skill levels as well as prerequisites.  The bitching is about anyone crafting everything resulting in everyone not needing anything.  

jdlamson75

Spotlight Poster

There's some lovely filth down here.

12/03/12 9:20:40 PM#7
Originally posted by Badaboom

Not completely true as you have skill levels as well as prerequisites.  The bitching is about anyone crafting everything resulting in everyone not needing anything.  

Gotcha.  Wasn't sure if the OP meant "level 1" in the traditional sense of an mmo.  The whole "ding" thing.

And while I see what people are worried about, I know that until the holy-crap-skillup weekends, I hadn't gotten any crafting masteries; I just gave stuff to a clannie and him or her make the stuff for me.  With trueforge and such, there was still a place for dedicated crafters, at least for a little while.

The debate on crafting could go on forever.  I'm glad I won't be paying attention to forums for a while once 12/12/12 arrives...if, indeed, that date sticks.

Badaboom

Hard Core Member

12/03/12 9:33:01 PM#8
Originally posted by Badaboom

Gotcha.  Wasn't sure if the OP meant "level 1" in the traditional sense of an mmo.  The whole "ding" thing.

And while I see what people are worried about, I know that until the holy-crap-skillup weekends, I hadn't gotten any crafting masteries; I just gave stuff to a clannie and him or her make the stuff for me.  With trueforge and such, there was still a place for dedicated crafters, at least for a little while.

The debate on crafting could go on forever.  I'm glad I won't be paying attention to forums for a while once 12/12/12 arrives...if, indeed, that date sticks.

The thing is by restricting crafting you will be making crafters happy. With happy crafters, you have a good economy and more sheep for the wolves to hunt. 

Cecropia

Gumshoe

Poacher killer.

12/03/12 9:33:42 PM#9
Originally posted by shadowmonke

but I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of lazy people that don't really want to waste time on crafting if they can just pvp + buy stuff with the gold they loot from corpses

or sell the mats they find off the corpses on the market to buy clothes

We'll see.

The issue is: what are people going to do once their done (or even just satisfied with) skilling up their PVP related skills? MMORPG gamers typically enjoy progressing their characters, so I really am concerned we will end up with far too many super crafters that kill any chance for a healthy economy in the long-term for DF:UW.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Raxeon

Advanced Member

12/03/12 9:40:29 PM#10

How is it bad?

except most people wont grind up the crafts like me

Caldrin

Advanced Member

12/04/12 5:08:38 AM#11

it worked ok in darkfall before the super skill gain weekends where everyone maxed everything out..

Before that most people would only really have had the time to work on one crafting skill type maybe two so there was a decent enough market but it was usually all within guild.. so even a small guild of 10-15 people would probalyl have every crafting skill needed so it was pretty rare to buy outside of the guild..

Buying from outside of your guild would involve travelling to another player city, asking them to turn off defenses and not to kill you then hope it was not a trap to steal all your money LOL.. most of the time trading outside of the guild was just too dangerous..

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

User Deleted
12/04/12 5:23:55 AM#12

How is it bad?

There are pretty much no restrictions to what crafting you can learn and what you can produce in EVE in terms of artifical caps (outside of a time restriction). In SWG you had mega crafters who either just ran a shed load of crafting toons across one or more accounts. Or they simply rinse and repeat respeced their toons as an when they needed having mastered all the crafting professions, no of which was lost when respecing back.

Even in games where there are crafting restrictions, most guilds cover that in house, quite often on alts. DF happens to be a guild/clan heavy game so expect to see crafting in house regardless as to whether there is a cap or not.

Being able to master all the crafting professions is not suddenly going to see trade hammered into the ground, or a lack of need for other crafters. First of all a large amount of the players will either have zero interest in crafting, or be too lazy to make their own stuff all the time. Secondly how long is the crafting "grind" and how rare are high end resources? If it is anything at all like the old game then there will be plenty of players buying.

If someone is going to go on about potential issues with the economy, well the lack of regional banks/trade and the lack of unique resources/items in terms of stats would be the things to focus on. Because they are going to have a far greater impact than someone being able to take the time to max out a shed load of crafting skills.

Jupsto

Novice Member

12/04/12 8:35:47 PM#13

You still gotta grind the skills, enchanting was an extremely hard and expensive crafting skill to raise in darkfall 1.

Im not sure who first got 100 enchanting but it was probably like a year or more after release, and throughout most of darkfalls life cycle very few people had 100 enchanting. 

just because there is no theoretical limit does not mean anyone can craft anything.

My blog: