Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,462 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,294,398
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » What is a chaos chest?

13 posts found
  Raserei

Advanced Member

OP  11/30/12 2:23:24 PM#1

1.) What is a chaos chest?

2.) Are there random world treasure chests while exploring?

RobbHood

Novice Member

11/30/12 2:29:05 PM#2

Chests just laying around in the world as you explore.  Not hidden really,  just out there.

Someone may be watching it, usually not,  It will contain some goodies.  Original DF had gold, from a little to a lot, a nice weapon of some sort and at times a house deed.

When I would find a really nice one, I would be nervous as hell looking for a bank if I was a long way out from our city.  No feeling like it in any other game. The constant fear of impending gankage. 

Always travel with a buddy. Then there is a 50% chance you can escape while your buddy is being murdered and looted.

And there were locked chests in areas that a looted key would open. Also a great place to ambush. Usually around mobs or deep in a dungeon for the good ones.  And remember, dungeons are not instances in DF. Really just another part of the world where anyone could be.

RobbHood

Raserei

Advanced Member

OP  11/30/12 2:40:55 PM#3
Are keys crafted, dropped, or both?
  Badaboom

Hard Core Member

11/30/12 2:43:19 PM#4
Originally posted by Raserei
Are keys crafted, dropped, or both?

Keys were from drops and the different keys for the different chests vaired in rarity.  The dungeon chest locations were fixed.

RobbHood

Novice Member

11/30/12 2:45:02 PM#5

No keys are need for chaos chests though. Just the locked chests in dungeons.

RobbHood

DarthRaiden

Novice Member

i make art,
till someone dies.

Forum Terrorist

11/30/12 2:47:09 PM#6

1) a random spawning chest with random loot.

2) thats what a chaos chest is.

The problem : For a long time it was the only source for house deeds !  Yep such a sandbox feature depends in Darkfall on riding around and try to be lucky finding a house in a chest ??! or some lucky dude was a owner of a keep because he had luck and your clan has no chance for a keep in a village EVER AGAIN and depend on  if one of these few lucky guys (count them on your fingers, yes from all the player just 7 !... in DF1 and that number will not change radically in DF:UW..is a joke really) drop Darkfall and is willing to sell such a Keep for a horrendly sum of dappers).

Thats how AV treats main sandbox gameplay, crafting is second thought, housing "is optional".

DF is not sandbox ! 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
$OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Uzik

Novice Member

11/30/12 2:47:15 PM#7
Chaos chests are the bane of every siege force.  Every time one pops up the entire force scrambles to see who can get to it first.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

raapnaap

Hard Core Member

12/01/12 10:39:14 AM#8
Originally posted by Uzik
Chaos chests are the bane of every siege force.  Every time one pops up the entire force scrambles to see who can get to it first.

Pretty much...

If you ever played an RTS game like Command & Conquer in skirmish or multiplayer, you might remember randomly spawning bonus chests on the map. Chaos chests are exactly that, they randomly spawn (no pre-set locations, they spawn 100% random) in the game world and can contain items.

Still wishing for a 1% chance to pick up a crate that explodes, killing you and people near you. :(

User Deleted
12/01/12 11:11:11 AM#9
Originally posted by Raserei

1.) What is a chaos chest?

2.) Are there random world treasure chests while exploring?

Its a random loot roll.  Usually you get between 70-150 gold, a medium potion, and a random item.  Typically not even worth the effort.

Sometimes you get epic stuff though.

There are keys of varying quality to go to certain chests, that are static.  Its great to explore for these chests but most just use the 3rd party map website to find their locations...since they are static.

Those chests usually are not worth the effort in iteself, their rewards do add up a lot.  Typically they will be in dungeons, and getting a key drop off mobs (they are not crafted) will yeild you a nice bonus for your time spent.

in 1.0 i had many of just about every key type and had to make an effort to use them.  i did it more for the chance of an enchant i needed than for the gold and gear.

So basically chaos chests are random spawning chests that require no key and will dissapear after a set time and respawn elsewhere, its only a very rare occasion you get something epic, typically its dissapointment is all it contains.

Then there are static chests with keys, they drop enchant mats quality level based on chest and static, a set range of gold, a chance for rare ore, and a random enchanted piece of equipment with garbage durability (all non crafted gear has shit dura).  Hardcore enchanters would buy the right keys and typically be a good idea to sell to them, usually the chests were a pain to get and have a cool down that makes using a mass amount of keys a total pain.

Serignuad

Apprentice Member

12/02/12 2:16:37 PM#10

I have to say that Chaos Chests are just brilliant! They are one of the more simple and brilliant MMO mechanics I've come across.

As an explorer I absolutely loved them.  Not that I usually needed too much encouragement to do so, but knowing I would uncover Chaos Chests as I explorered made doing so that much more worth while.

ChaosChest

Novice Member

12/02/12 11:23:27 PM#11

The problem with chaos chests were they spawned to often and had crap loot 99% of the time.

If they lowered the spawn rate and increased the chance to get good items than it would be an improvement.

exiled_child

Novice Member

12/03/12 12:41:42 PM#12

I dols a guest room furnitautre for 1.5 mil

pretty sure i coudl have gotten 5 x more out of it :(

it allows othe rpepoel to bind to your house, and lets them pay your rent

gravesworn

Novice Member

12/03/12 7:19:03 PM#13
It would be nice to be able to craft traps to spawn on the different chests. Also a lock pick mechanic would be cool to counter it.