Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,774,884 Users Online:0
Games:721  Posts:6,189,276
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » IMO: Why DW:UW will be great!

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
21 posts found
  Raserei

Novice Member

OP  11/17/12 12:59:34 PM#1

First off, I'm NOT a fan of Darkfall 1.0! So before you say fanboi, think again. I have played every single MMORPG since The Realm back in 1996. Since then, there hasn't been many sandbox games similar to Darkfall. Ultima Online, for me, started this trend of opened ended madness.

Back to Darkfall... I bought the game for 79.99 as a package. I got a year subscription and the game. I played the game a total of a few hours. The actual game wasn't the issue, it was the interface. The interface, inventory, and new user experience was so bad that I just gave up. 

Meanwhile, I paid close attention to others playing Darkfall. Youtube videos, streams, etc... I said to myself, if this game had a better interface and more direction (New user experience), it would be a hit. 

Years later, we have Darkfall: Unholy Wars. At first, I said, WOW! What a money grab! They just want our money! WRONG! If you own Darkfall, you get DF:UW for the price of a subscription.

Here is why that is such a big deal:

Darkfall is not an ultra "known" game nor does it have a ton of advertisement. Darkfall has a medium sized fanbase of the original game and THAT'S IT. To literally give the NEW game out for FREE and shutdown there first game is an instant sign of saying, "Hey, we understand what we needed to change in the first game and this is how serious we are in making it better."

And now we get:

-New and improved graphics

-New character and monster models

-Improved meta game

-Role system to make you an individual instead of the same as everyone else.

-Improved new user experience

-Improved interface (Inventory, skills, health bar, mana bar, stamina bar. Everything is improved)

While we don't have all the details, these are just the features that were presented to us so far. I have a feeling we are in for a suprise come December 12th. This game has the potential to be the greatest sandbox game ever made. This is my 2cents on why I think it will be good and not just hyped up for no reason because there is no money grab, there is no "buy me now" gimmick... They literally took initiative and made the game better, shutdown the original, and are getting ready to deliver the new vision of Darkfall! 

Get ready for Darkfall: Unholy Wars!

Raxeon

Hard Core Member

11/17/12 1:23:59 PM#2
in before it wont launch on dec 12th : ) but i agree with you
  wormed

Hard Core Member

11/17/12 1:34:50 PM#3

I stayed far away from Darkfall due to hearing a few friends tell me how utterly horrible it was.

However, I'm very excited about Unholy Wars, surprisingly. Finally, a game that is all about open world PvP. I can't wait to feel that 'excitement' I haven't felt in a long, long, time.

naljeja

Advanced Member

11/17/12 2:17:19 PM#4

For those who looked beyond the flawed GUI and other issues, Darkfall was more than a game, it's a word that makes the heart do a double pump if you come across the word in a random read somwhere.

What DF suffered from bottom line was population. 90% of the players who have played darkfall the last 2.5-3 years would still play DF as it is if it only had a good population because the epicness to experience in the game makes every other mmo crumble on the ground. And without doubt, DF UW will be a very good game that is certain be full of epicness aswell as have a good population due the good changes. It certainly will be great

Raserei

Novice Member

OP  11/17/12 2:25:19 PM#5

Another reason why I never really gave DF1.0 an honest shot is because of WoW. I was one of those super hardcore WoW players who played 16+ hours per day, completely sucked in. Any game I played didn't really satisfy me because of the addiction I had to WoW.

If I were to try DF1.0 today, it would be a different story, most likely a better one.

Whatever you do, don't go into Darkfall expecting "the norm" or expecting something familiar. It is completely brand new. 

You spawn into the world of Agon and you then do what you want. There is no linear quest line, there is no "random item stats" like in WoW/Diablo, there is no hand-holding... You become what you want in the confines of the game.

Whether you want to be a sword wielding assassin who kills any player he see's

or

An archer who wants to support larger battles

or 

A dedicated crafter and you hire other players to protect you and in return you craft them gear (Will they stab you in the back?)

The game is like that... You make it what you want within the limits of the game.

The issue I had with Darkfall 1.0 was that you can maximize EVERY skill in the game which was good on paper but ultimately, in the long run, everyone would be the same. I LOVE the announcement of the role system. It will define who you are... You can work on any role you want but it will limit what skills you have within your current role.

The game comes down to exploring, killing monsters to get equipment, gathering minerals to craft, crafting better equipment, killing other players and stealing there loot, clan warfare which involves politics and castle sieges, water battles which include a ship you probably crafted...

Imagine when you were a kid and you played with action figures and you imagined/enacted epic battles between them. You had a broad imagination. This is what Darkfall does... It grants you mechanics within the game in which you are free to explore/utilize how you see fit. Just because it's full loot PvP, doesn't mean it's a 100% full loot pvp game. There are a lot of other aspects which you create as part of the community.

xDayx

Novice Member

11/17/12 3:22:23 PM#6

The whole no first person debacle could stop me from playing it.  And the fact that Adventurine isn't even commenting about it scares me even more. 

Dahkot72

Apprentice Member

11/17/12 3:28:22 PM#7

I love the idea of DF:UW.

My concern is the studio is silent and dodgy at best ,and their track record gives me no reason to believe they are any better than they were.

naljeja

Advanced Member

11/17/12 3:30:32 PM#8
Originally posted by xDayx

The whole no first person debacle could stop me from playing it.  And the fact that Adventurine isn't even commenting about it scares me even more. 

they already posted a video showing FPV and TPV being toggleable. Check the youtube/forum/blog for link

User Deleted
11/17/12 3:34:35 PM#9
Originally posted by Dahkot72

My concern is the studio is silent and dodgy at best ,and their track record gives me no reason to believe they are any better than they were.

Yeah let's get over the hurdle called "release" before we get too excited about the game. AV isn't known for hitting deadlines. I'd put money on late 2013 for DF:UW, if at all.

Cecropia

Gumshoe

Poacher killer.

11/17/12 3:40:49 PM#10
Originally posted by grimgryphon

Yeah let's get over the hurdle called "release" before we get too excited about the game. AV isn't known for hitting deadlines. I'd put money on late 2013 for DF:UW, if at all.

Well, when it comes to launching games they had only one delay with the original Darkfall. So stranger things have happened.

"Chuck's a good fighter but he's a UFC fighter... this is Pride." - Quinton Rampage Jackson
"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Justin9820

Novice Member

11/17/12 3:41:16 PM#11

i would say that late 2013 is a pretty ignorant estimate. I've played darkfall since launch, so you dont have to tell me about them and their deadlines. However, this is the first time they have given a date that inclues a day/month in it, rather than just "we're expecting it for q3 2010", so i actually have a pretty strong faith that AV with get this game launched before the end of february at the latest.

Edit: Also, previous dates were not launch dates, they were estimates. they are clearly TERRIBLE at estimating, but thats not what this is. although them being poor at estimation could lead to them underestimating the true launch date, i serously doubt it will be by much.

Noctie

Novice Member

11/17/12 4:20:26 PM#12
Yea im also very interested in the game, however i did not buy the first one and i heard only ppl that bought it can play unholy wars on launch day, i hope thats not true
  Niburu

Advanced Member

11/17/12 5:11:21 PM#13
Originally posted by Noctie
Yea im also very interested in the game, however i did not buy the first one and i heard only ppl that bought it can play unholy wars on launch day, i hope thats not true

Only people which bought the previous game don't need to buy the new game they only need to pay a monthly sub.

People that don't own Darkfall on there account have to buy Darkfall: Unholy Wars which will also include a sub.

Noctie

Novice Member

11/17/12 5:33:49 PM#14
Originally posted by Niburu

Only people which bought the previous game don't need to buy the new game they only need to pay a monthly sub.

People that don't own Darkfall on there account have to buy Darkfall: Unholy Wars which will also include a sub.

Yea i know, but some people have been saying new players just wont be able to buy unholy wars till some months after release 

naljeja

Advanced Member

11/17/12 5:58:27 PM#15
Originally posted by Niburu

Yea i know, but some people have been saying new players just wont be able to buy unholy wars till some months after release 

lol that's not true

Kaminaxius

Novice Member

11/17/12 6:22:53 PM#16
rofl thats a lie, who told you that  *_*
  aerelis

Novice Member

11/17/12 6:35:17 PM#17
best game I have ever played regardless of the shitty company making it. Log in and have fun.

Aere Bourne

User Deleted
11/17/12 6:55:30 PM#18
Originally posted by Justin9820

i would say that late 2013 is a pretty ignorant estimate.

Now that I think of it, you're probably right. It's an ignorant estimate.

Summer 2014 sounds more accurate.

Raxeon

Hard Core Member

11/18/12 1:20:14 AM#19
Originally posted by Justin9820

i would say that late 2013 is a pretty ignorant estimate.

Now that I think of it, you're probably right. It's an ignorant estimate.

Summer 2014 sounds more accurate.

12-12-12 unless somethign really gets messedup it slike the first release delay

thinktank001

Advanced Member

11/18/12 2:42:46 AM#20
Originally posted by Raserei

And now we get:

-New and improved graphics

I really don't understand why anyone gets excited over the improved graphics, and with the PvP nature of the game most people probably play on minimum settings.

-New character and monster models

Same situation as the graphics and could arguably be considered the exact same subject.

-Improved meta game

This will be interesting to see how the new alliance/siege mechanics work together.   I don't have my hopes very high with the information they have already given.

-Role system to make you an individual instead of the same as everyone else.

The role system doesn't have anything to do with individuality, and I don't understand where you come to that conclusion.  

-Improved new user experience

Do you mean safe zones?   I don't really see the starting areas being much different, except for this fact.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search