Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,572 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,240,819
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » In case you missed DF 1.0 and are curious...

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
65 posts found
  Hephaestus_Xii

Novice Member

“Best way to ease your mind is in another world”

11/11/12 9:33:10 AM#41
Good times lets hope there are many more in DF:UW 

Sabotage Gaming TS3 Open To All Gamer's

Teamspeak IP. 162.243.205.195

Jupsto

Advanced Member

11/11/12 9:57:40 AM#42
Originally posted by PsyMike3d
i just found this Darkfall video, its so funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXscO9pV6ec&feature=related

thanks for link that video was very funny.

My blog:

SEANMCAD

Spotlight Poster

11/15/12 1:49:27 PM#43

I miss Darkfall 1 and soon it will be gone forever. I just dont have time anymore.

I will say what I dont like about what I have seen on the new version is the is targeting system. What I liked about Darkfall 1 is no target help.

Correlation does not imply causation

User Deleted
11/17/12 1:56:11 PM#44

Missed Darkfall? Which one?

Darkfall, Darkfall 2010, Darkfall 2.0, or Darkfall: Unholy Wars? Which is the the one that isn't vaporware?

I'm so confused...

Justin9820

Novice Member

11/17/12 2:09:57 PM#45
Originally posted by grimgryphon

Darkfall, Darkfall 2010, Darkfall 2.0, or Darkfall: Unholy Wars? Which is the the one that isn't vaporware?

I'm so confused...

There was only ever one darkfall...

Cecropia

Gumshoe

Poacher killer.

11/17/12 3:10:10 PM#46
Originally posted by Justin9820

I'm so confused...

Yup. Just one.

And contrary to the hopes and dreams of a few little "odd specimens" it clearly never ended up as vaporware. Too bad so sad.

"Chuck's a good fighter but he's a UFC fighter... this is Pride." - Quinton Rampage Jackson
"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

wormed

Hard Core Member

11/17/12 3:12:24 PM#47
Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I miss Darkfall 1 and soon it will be gone forever. I just dont have time anymore.

I will say what I dont like about what I have seen on the new version is the is targeting system. What I liked about Darkfall 1 is no target help.

As far as I know, there is no targeting help. Still need to aim all attacks.

Rohn

Apprentice Member

11/17/12 3:14:50 PM#48
Originally posted by Cecropia

I'm so confused...

Yup. Just one.

And contrary to the hopes and dreams of a few little "odd specimens" it clearly never ended up as vaporware. Too bad so sad.

It wasn't vaporware, but sadly it also wasn't anything even close to being a sandbox game.  At best, it was a clan warfare themepark, with the worst community imaginable.

Hoping the next version will be much, MUCH closer to what the original game was supposed to be.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Cecropia

Gumshoe

Poacher killer.

11/17/12 3:23:25 PM#49
Originally posted by Rohn

Yup. Just one.

It wasn't vaporware, but sadly it also wasn't anything even close to being a sandbox game.  At best, it was a clan warfare themepark, with the worst community imaginable.

Hoping the next version will be much, MUCH closer to what the original game was supposed to be.

I could not disagree with you more about the game being a theme park, but I do hope you find what you're looking for with UW. There's a hell of a lot of sandbox fans out there that could really do with a quality alternative to the mighty EVE.

"Chuck's a good fighter but he's a UFC fighter... this is Pride." - Quinton Rampage Jackson
"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Justin9820

Novice Member

11/17/12 3:23:53 PM#50

I'm so confused...

Yup. Just one.

Im don't really agree with you. while it isn't a full blown sandbox, it was extremely far from themepark. Themepark gets its name because when you play a themepark game, you are just along for the ride. Darkfall was a game where you made the ride, sure there was premade mob spawns and you couldn't truly shape the world, but on every other level than that it was  a baby sandbox game.

Betaguy

Elite Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

11/17/12 3:26:49 PM#51
Originally posted by WhisperXIII
Originally posted by PsyMike3d
i just found this Darkfall video, its so funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXscO9pV6ec&feature=related

One of the funniest moments I've ever seen in a Darkfall video:

http://youtu.be/eKrTwddk7eI?hd=1

>.<

Oh god, lmao.... that was fracking halarious....

User Deleted
11/17/12 7:50:31 PM#52

Yup. Just one.

Sadly, my restrained cynicism was lost on both of you.

I'll try using less complex sentences next time.

Cecropia

Gumshoe

Poacher killer.

11/17/12 8:12:32 PM#53

Sadly, my restrained cynicism was lost on both of you.

I'll try using less complex sentences next time.

No, no. Caught it, thanks. Simply pointing out the reality of DF's history for those who may not know better. Feel free to be as complex as you think you can.

Sounds like you're having yourself a fun evening. Enjoy

Flute

Novice Member

12/04/12 9:08:27 PM#54

I'm so confused...

Yup. Just one.

Im don't really agree with you. while it isn't a full blown sandbox, it was extremely far from themepark. Themepark gets its name because when you play a themepark game, you are just along for the ride. Darkfall was a game where you made the ride, sure there was premade mob spawns and you couldn't truly shape the world, but on every other level than that it was  a baby sandbox game.

This is pretty much spot on imo.  Darkfall : Unholy Wars needs a lot more sand to be a true sandbox game, however part of the whole point of re-making the entire game is so that Aventurine can actually add and modify things more easily.  They simply couldn't do a lot of what they wanted before due to technical limitations they didn't appreciate in the original game.  Rather than patching the original code to oblivion, they just started fresh which is both nearly unheard of but also absolutely the best way to go.

The one key feature that Darkfall 1.0 had which nearly no other MMO out there had or has with the exception of CCP's EVE Online, and which Unholy Wars will without a doubt have, is player-driven drama.   The importance of this cannot be underestimated.  Many games talk of the community creating content, and of players having a meaningful impact on both the game and the world - in Darkfall, you really could.  Sure all the players want a great deal more sandbox features to be able to modify the actual map (etc), but empires really did rise, go to war with other empires, and fall in flames to the sounds of cannons and conquoring armies.  

The simple question to ask is "could someone write a novel about thier adventures in this game?"  Typically the answer is "no", because in themepark games everything you do has already been written by someone else, there is little if anything remaining to write about.  In contrast, some events were so Shakespearean in Darkfall 1.0 that players in the community at one point actually queried whether it was a couple of GMs/Devs playing out a Shakespearean tragedy - but it wasn't, it was just two players, love and betrayal most foul wrapped up into the game and played out unscripted for all to see.  In themeparks someone writes such storylines, in Darkfall they simply happen as a consequence of the world's design and ruthless systems.

Yes darkfall needs more sand in the sandbox, but like EVE, over time this game will undoubtedly get more sand.  Will it ever have the freedom EVE does?  Maybe, but that would take nearly a decade.  But in the meantime, yes Darkfall Unholy Wars is definitely one to play.  Also remember that to see the big drama of the world you need to do something most games don't actively encourage - you need to talk to others in the game.  You can solo, do quests, and never interact with anyone, but then you would risk missing the drama.  So if you do try Darkfall, do yourself an incredible favour and say "hello" to people in the game rather than just trying to level up skills etc in the themepark way of gaming.  You will never meet your future friends or your dastardly nemesis if you treat everyone else like well-written NPCs :)

Lifeole

Novice Member

12/12/12 12:22:55 PM#55
Hey WhisperXIII. I approve =)
  attckdog

Novice Member

12/13/12 7:54:18 AM#56
Best thread eva, Good job with the pin!
  Xandros

Novice Member

12/14/12 2:41:20 PM#57
nice pile of info :)
  Rodirx

Novice Member

12/15/12 7:50:00 AM#58
nice info
  contest

Novice Member

12/15/12 12:35:43 PM#59
agree flute
  CalvinAMi

Novice Member

4/23/13 7:06:02 PM#60
I don't play DF anymore but I'll never forget the epic raids and seiges we had. Cerberus (Revenge Factory) against LoD = WEEKS of enjoyment and uber drama. Such fun!
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search