Trending Games | Dragon Age: Inquisition | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,645,588 Users Online:0
Games:685  Posts:6,081,954
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » Just curious about full loot

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
28 posts found
  AtlanNor

Novice Member

Joined: 10/02/04
Posts: 36

 
OP  10/09/12 9:25:42 AM#1
I am very interested in UW but I've never played a full loot game.  So could someone tell me how you protect all the cool gear you get other than just leaving it in a chest somewhere.  Seems like I would find some cool gear and lose it almost immediately when some higher level decides to crush me.  How does this whole dynamic work in DF:UW?  I know, I'm a noob.
  gravesworn

Novice Member

Joined: 6/15/12
Posts: 325

10/09/12 9:31:11 AM#2
Well the good news is you dont have to protect the gear, every single weapon and armor is craftable. They do take durability damage over use and they cant be repaired, but a master crafter can make armor that is far mor durable than scavanged armor. Unless of course you killed a master craftsman and took it as your spoils of war. The armor and weapons do have tiers but it isnt as important as other games. If you were so inclined to keep your armor then group up and run around. Saftey in numbers mate. Trust me though, there is a wonderfully sick satisfaction in killing someone and taking their armor. Hell, they can always make more. Basically if you have nver tried it, you should, games like this offer that adreniline rush that few other genres can offer.
  Jakdstripper

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/14/10
Posts: 2101

10/09/12 9:33:05 AM#3

gear in DF is actaully very easy to come by. 80% of gear is quite disposable so really when you die and get looted you just farm Iron for a little bit and make yourself one other set of armor.

it's really not that big a deal losing armor.

or course there is some very nice and rare armor that is made with very rare ores, and most people will not wear that unless it's a huge fight and you have lots of friendlies ready to loot your body if you die.

also you do lose gear, but when you kill others you also gain gear. so you'll have days where you lose 5 sets of armor, and days where you gain 5 sets of armor. it's really not that big a deal. sometimes you'll just be walking arround and find a body of a dead player with full set of armor/weappons/loot....win.

 

  Entris38

Hard Core Member

Joined: 6/14/12
Posts: 171

10/09/12 9:34:57 AM#4
The common misconception in most "full loot" games is that people have a fear of losing precious items. Almost every full loot game I've played has been the opposite where as gear was increcdibly easy to come by and replace. I'm not a pvp fanatic anymore as I was in my younger years, finger dexterity is shot hahah. I now prefer PVE games with minimal pvp. I did play DF for some time and it was very easy to craft, so I had a good stock of armor and weapons in the bank.
  Topherpunch

Novice Member

Joined: 9/08/12
Posts: 87

10/09/12 9:38:18 AM#5

Imagine you have a chest piece that you found from a mob, han five secounds later you figure out the mob drops that same chest piece every three times it dies. Withing an hour of farming you now have 50 of those same pieces. Go to the bank and put them in there, if you can make it.

Basically all the gear is in such abundance that you really don;t have to worry about losing it. The only time you should be in fear of losing something is if you have something of great value, like a large ship or a house deed. Hopefully if you do have one of these items you are being escorted by some friends. Nothing better than loot a corpse only to find something like that on a player.

Honestly the FFA loot system is not as bad as people say it is. Even if you lose what you have out of your bag it is so easily replaceable. Aside from the really rare stuff, like a house deed or crazy good and enchanted armor you might only have for a certain mob deep in hiding. Really you wouldn't get mad if you lose your stuff 90% of the time. You would just go make another bag and go out and do it again.


Come check out what I have to say on my blog http://civilgamer.com

Also check out http;//agonasylum.com for Darkfall player trading and stories forums

  kaiser3282

Tipster

Joined: 5/21/08
Posts: 2528

10/09/12 9:53:20 AM#6
Originally posted by Topherpunch

Imagine you have a chest piece that you found from a mob, han five secounds later you figure out the mob drops that same chest piece every three times it dies. Withing an hour of farming you now have 50 of those same pieces. Go to the bank and put them in there, if you can make it.

Basically all the gear is in such abundance that you really don;t have to worry about losing it. The only time you should be in fear of losing something is if you have something of great value, like a large ship or a house deed. Hopefully if you do have one of these items you are being escorted by some friends. Nothing better than loot a corpse only to find something like that on a player.

Honestly the FFA loot system is not as bad as people say it is. Even if you lose what you have out of your bag it is so easily replaceable. Aside from the really rare stuff, like a house deed or crazy good and enchanted armor you might only have for a certain mob deep in hiding. Really you wouldn't get mad if you lose your stuff 90% of the time. You would just go make another bag and go out and do it again.

Pretty much this.

You cant go into a full loot game like this with the preconceptions of gear you have from other games. If you took "good" gear in other games, youre typically talking stuff that took tons of time doing things like raids just to get a single piece. But in a game like Darkfall youll be constantly going back to sell and bank stuff for every hour or 2 you spend out farming mobs for quests and leveling your skills because you become over encumbered. Theres certain mobs youll focus on farming for some very useful gear, even if its just temporary while youre short on funds or cant craft better gear yourself. Once you get your crafting skills up you can usually pump out full sets of gear quite easily.

When I played in the past we had bags, dozens of them at all times, piled up in the clan bank of decent sets of gear for people to just grab one and toss it all on and get back to PvPing when we needed them because its expected youre oing to die and lose your stuff. We would have full sets of various types of armor (different ones for mages, hybrids, and melees) armor, a 1h melee, 2h melee, bow, staff, a few potions, and a small amount of regs for spells in each bag so people didnt have to go searching for stuff. On top of that people also had their own stashes full of better gear eithe rin the forms of ready bags like in the clan bank, or partial sets like if they had a preference for certain armor setup, or had high grade and / or enchanted stuff they wanted to grab for going and pvping. People also specifically held onto low durability gear for PvPing because chances are you will die at some point, so why waste a full durability one that you could take for farming mobs for a couple of hours anyway.

Just kind of need to get over the whole idea of "OMG gear is so valuable it sucks so bad to lose it". Just expect that youre going to lose it 1 way or another. If not from having it taken, it will break from durability loss anyway. Just make sure you stockpile a good supply of mob dropped gear until youre at a point where you can focus on making your own better gear and then stockpile that. Just bank regularly and youll quickly get over worrying about losing stuff. "Dont take what you cant afford to lose" is a pretty simple rule most players in DF live by.

  phantomghost

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/05/11
Posts: 604

"Kill me, my man kills you, that's how you lose."

10/09/12 10:01:52 AM#7
Originally posted by AtlanNor
I am very interested in UW but I've never played a full loot game.  So could someone tell me how you protect all the cool gear you get other than just leaving it in a chest somewhere.  Seems like I would find some cool gear and lose it almost immediately when some higher level decides to crush me.  How does this whole dynamic work in DF:UW?  I know, I'm a noob.

In DF1 you had some garbage weapon that could never be taken.

 

There are no higher levels, just better geared/more skilled players.

 

All the gear will be relatively replacable with minimal efforts.

Typically, if you are going around alone or in small numbers you would bring appropriate gear... maybe not the top end gear... keep that in the bank.

 

If you are in a major war where every bit may help you might bring the high end gear.  Typically, you will lose/gain gear in battles as you die your stuff is looted, as others die it gets looted... it just depends how you make out at the end of the fight... or how your allies are willing to give back gear they looted of yours or offer up some gear to replace gear lost.

 

I know my clan would typically all  work towards crafting gear/weapons for attacks as a group.  Then that would be our gear for war so if we lost it, it was not a big deal.

 

You will get use to full loot.  The only thing I hated was disconnecting and losing my mounts or getting killed, but nothing you can do there, but hope your internet or the game does not crash.

 

 

Also as you progress you will notice early on you saved up some low end gear in your bank... then one day you will take that out and sell i because you replaced it with slightly better gear... until you got loads of great gear,

"I see they watchin' me and takin' notes on my moves, Run up on me it's all I want I ain't got nothin' to lose."

  Znarf

Novice Member

Joined: 7/08/05
Posts: 80

10/09/12 10:15:04 AM#8

DF1 (because DFUW could be slightly different...) is much more skill based than gear based.

that is PLAYER skill based: a top pvper with medium gear will beat a bad pvper with top gear every time!:)

also if you are lucky you can find the tombs of guys killed by mobs and take all !:)

  VikingGamer

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/08/10
Posts: 1187

The strong are sometimes wrong but the weak are never free.

10/09/12 10:23:12 AM#9

It it important to realize that in these kinds of games, armor and weapons are simply tools to help you get a thing done. They never last and are not intended to. Unlike games like WoW, your progress is not made in terms of levels AND gear. That is why loosing gear in a WoW like game would be so harsh, because getting better gear either leveling or at end game is part of your development. You might as well also have exp loss on death if you are going to play that way.

In DF your gear has nothing to do with your progress. Gear with any kinds of bonuses are more like having temporary buffs. The important thing is to have a sword so you can stab the enemy and have extras stashed so that you can replace it.

It also helps to keep the perspective that something is not really yours to keep until you have it stashed safe in a bank somewhere. You don't want to always try to maximize your looting by completely filling up and only then heading to town. The more you get and the longer you stay out the more risk you take. Make more frequent trips back to the bank if you want to reduce your risk.

A lot of people have trouble making this kind of conceptual transition in Eve Online as well. Your ship is not you, it is just a tool to let you run missions or mine or pirate or whatever. A ship has a halflife. it will get destroyed sooner or later. make the best use of it while you still have it. Same in DF. Your gear is not who you are, your progess is measured in other ways. Your gear is just a tool to allow you to get other jobs done. Your gear has a halflife so don't get attached. Use it, make the most of it and then replace it.

The Law of Conservation of Stupidity:
For every Fan there will be an equally vocal Troll with the opposite opinion.

  AtlanNor

Novice Member

Joined: 10/02/04
Posts: 36

 
OP  10/09/12 10:25:03 AM#10

Awesome.  Thank you all for your insight.  I have just been trying game after game with no satisfaction and not really sure what I'm missing in games any more.  There are so many things about games like this that do appeal to me and the one game where I truly felt at home at was Asheron's Call years ago.  Loved the skills based system and how you had to work for things and it wasn't all just handed to you.  love the concepts of UW, looking forward to trying it.  Hopefully it will come out sooner than later...hehe.

I will not accept the notion that I'm getting too old and outgrowing games...I just can't.

  xDayx

Novice Member

Joined: 9/08/11
Posts: 713

10/09/12 10:28:33 AM#11

All gear eventually breaks over time anyway.  The higher skills you have the better gear you loot and can craft.  You always have roughly about 8 sets of replacement gear in the bank just in case you lose 1 set.

 

  phantomghost

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/05/11
Posts: 604

"Kill me, my man kills you, that's how you lose."

10/09/12 2:33:09 PM#12
Originally posted by AtlanNor

Awesome.  Thank you all for your insight.  I have just been trying game after game with no satisfaction and not really sure what I'm missing in games any more.  There are so many things about games like this that do appeal to me and the one game where I truly felt at home at was Asheron's Call years ago.  Loved the skills based system and how you had to work for things and it wasn't all just handed to you.  love the concepts of UW, looking forward to trying it.  Hopefully it will come out sooner than later...hehe.

I will not accept the notion that I'm getting too old and outgrowing games...I just can't.

I know what I miss from games is just the overall grouping with other players and actually forming friends/allies etc.  I also enjoyed progression and working towards better gear, not the do a quest and have decent gear or do pvp bgs.

 

DF you will at least get that group feeling... not necessarily the same way some of the old games did for PvE... although you will do group events in PvE... you will mostly group up for PvP (to prevent it in some cases, or because you want to start pvp).

"I see they watchin' me and takin' notes on my moves, Run up on me it's all I want I ain't got nothin' to lose."

  Zushakon

Novice Member

Joined: 12/09/08
Posts: 120

10/09/12 2:41:04 PM#13
Originally posted by VikingGamer

It it important to realize that in these kinds of games, armor and weapons are simply tools to help you get a thing done. They never last and are not intended to. Unlike games like WoW, your progress is not made in terms of levels AND gear. That is why loosing gear in a WoW like game would be so harsh, because getting better gear either leveling or at end game is part of your development. You might as well also have exp loss on death if you are going to play that way.

In DF your gear has nothing to do with your progress. Gear with any kinds of bonuses are more like having temporary buffs. The important thing is to have a sword so you can stab the enemy and have extras stashed so that you can replace it.

It also helps to keep the perspective that something is not really yours to keep until you have it stashed safe in a bank somewhere. You don't want to always try to maximize your looting by completely filling up and only then heading to town. The more you get and the longer you stay out the more risk you take. Make more frequent trips back to the bank if you want to reduce your risk.

A lot of people have trouble making this kind of conceptual transition in Eve Online as well. Your ship is not you, it is just a tool to let you run missions or mine or pirate or whatever. A ship has a halflife. it will get destroyed sooner or later. make the best use of it while you still have it. Same in DF. Your gear is not who you are, your progess is measured in other ways. Your gear is just a tool to allow you to get other jobs done. Your gear has a halflife so don't get attached. Use it, make the most of it and then replace it.

Good post!

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
Zushakon Odi

  Galadourn

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/06/08
Posts: 1039

10/09/12 2:45:59 PM#14
as others have said, gear is really not something you'll be worrying about in DF. The sense of progress will come each time you hear a ding (figure of speech) from a skill leveling up. That's what character development is centered on, gear is an afterthought and frankly, quite easy to stack in the bank.

http://kck.st/Xo38HT

  xpiher

Elite Member

Joined: 8/22/08
Posts: 3235

10/10/12 4:58:52 AM#15
Originally posted by AtlanNor
I am very interested in UW but I've never played a full loot game.  So could someone tell me how you protect all the cool gear you get other than just leaving it in a chest somewhere.  Seems like I would find some cool gear and lose it almost immediately when some higher level decides to crush me.  How does this whole dynamic work in DF:UW?  I know, I'm a noob.

Epic gear doesn't exist in the traditional sense. There aren't any bosses that will drop a super powerful sword 1/100th of the time. Instead, that boss will drop lots of crafting mats that can be used to craft an powerful weapon; however, there will be other places to get those mats. Replacing gear in a FFA Full loot game is only an issue for people who do not know how to farm or min-max gear for farming. You never travel in your best stuff, you save that when you want to go hunt other people. Even if you do farm with your best stuff, its by comparison, easy to replace


Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

  Yamota

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/05/03
Posts: 6391

There's a beast within every man that stirs when you put a sword in his hand

10/10/12 5:06:39 AM#16
Originally posted by AtlanNor
I am very interested in UW but I've never played a full loot game.  So could someone tell me how you protect all the cool gear you get other than just leaving it in a chest somewhere.  Seems like I would find some cool gear and lose it almost immediately when some higher level decides to crush me.  How does this whole dynamic work in DF:UW?  I know, I'm a noob.

Cool gear does not really exist in full loot games because as almost everyone are getting killed they are to sure to lose that gear. This, unfourtunately for me, removes the element of playing to get good gear which is why full loot games are not for me.

You need to decide if it is for you or not. I.e. do you care about getting cool gear and keeping it? If so then full loot games are not for you either.

  Caldrin

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/02/04
Posts: 3879

10/10/12 5:13:27 AM#17
Originally posted by AtlanNor

Awesome.  Thank you all for your insight.  I have just been trying game after game with no satisfaction and not really sure what I'm missing in games any more.  There are so many things about games like this that do appeal to me and the one game where I truly felt at home at was Asheron's Call years ago.  Loved the skills based system and how you had to work for things and it wasn't all just handed to you.  love the concepts of UW, looking forward to trying it.  Hopefully it will come out sooner than later...hehe.

I will not accept the notion that I'm getting too old and outgrowing games...I just can't.

main thing to remember, find yourself a good guild to run with.. DF is not designed to be played solo.. you can play solo but its hard, very hard.

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

  Kshahdoo

Novice Member

Joined: 8/06/07
Posts: 560

10/10/12 5:42:31 AM#18


Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by AtlanNor I am very interested in UW but I've never played a full loot game.  So could someone tell me how you protect all the cool gear you get other than just leaving it in a chest somewhere.  Seems like I would find some cool gear and lose it almost immediately when some higher level decides to crush me.  How does this whole dynamic work in DF:UW?  I know, I'm a noob.
Cool gear does not really exist in full loot games because as almost everyone are getting killed they are to sure to lose that gear. This, unfourtunately for me, removes the element of playing to get good gear which is why full loot games are not for me.

You need to decide if it is for you or not. I.e. do you care about getting cool gear and keeping it? If so then full loot games are not for you either.


Wrong, there is cool gear in FFA Full Loot games. For example those titans in EVE worth more, than any wow account. The matter is how this cool stuff is used. I mean you won't fly your titan if you aren't sure it's safe. You won't run with your full dragon/R80 Q5 enchanted gear just to kill a couple of raiders in DFO. It's for tournaments and very important pvp-events. And only if you are a pro-pvper or have a few million golds in your bank.

  Thaliost

Novice Member

Joined: 12/08/06
Posts: 89

10/10/12 6:47:56 AM#19

I was amazed at how much I disagree with most of the feedback given.

 

My view:

It is full loot, but they can only steal what you are wearing or have on your backpack. All the stuff that you have stored inside your bank is safe.

 

Now, this does not mean that you might get very pissed when you die and you lose all your stuff that you are carrying. So the best response is, never wear anything that you are not willing to lose.

 

Although gear and weapons are easy to come by, good gear and good weapons aren't so easy. You need to have a thick skin and not get dispaired over losing your stuff. Also, killing other people/winning helps a lot :D

 

I usually wear stuff according to what I am doing. When I am going about my normal life, I use normal stuff that I will not be pissed off to lose. When there are sieges (city conquest), I use my best stuff, specially, when you are defending your own city from an offensive siege. When I was defending my own city, I didn't give much importance to losing good stuff because trying to keep the city was much more important and every bit of advantage (stats-wise) was worth using.

 

 

But it is this strong emotion of full-loot that makes this game so awesome. If you die in WoW, what do you really lose? ... So how do you feel when you die? Not very bad...

 

In Darkfall, when you go into PvP or just hear noises in the middle of the countryside, your heart rate jumps because you know you might be dragged into a battle and if you do fight, you know that you might lose the stuff you are carrying or win some1 else's. This is the best gaming feeling there is!

Immortals [EU] - Darkfall:UW Clan
http://immortals-online.eu/

  123443211234

Novice Member

Joined: 7/08/07
Posts: 220

10/10/12 4:03:01 PM#20
Originally posted by Thaliost

I was amazed at how much I disagree with most of the feedback given.

 

My view:

It is full loot, but they can only steal what you are wearing or have on your backpack. All the stuff that you have stored inside your bank is safe.

 

Now, this does not mean that you might get very pissed when you die and you lose all your stuff that you are carrying. So the best response is, never wear anything that you are not willing to lose.

 

Although gear and weapons are easy to come by, good gear and good weapons aren't so easy. You need to have a thick skin and not get dispaired over losing your stuff. Also, killing other people/winning helps a lot :D

 

I usually wear stuff according to what I am doing. When I am going about my normal life, I use normal stuff that I will not be pissed off to lose. When there are sieges (city conquest), I use my best stuff, specially, when you are defending your own city from an offensive siege. When I was defending my own city, I didn't give much importance to losing good stuff because trying to keep the city was much more important and every bit of advantage (stats-wise) was worth using.

 

 

But it is this strong emotion of full-loot that makes this game so awesome. If you die in WoW, what do you really lose? ... So how do you feel when you die? Not very bad...

 

In Darkfall, when you go into PvP or just hear noises in the middle of the countryside, your heart rate jumps because you know you might be dragged into a battle and if you do fight, you know that you might lose the stuff you are carrying or win some1 else's. This is the best gaming feeling there is!

LOL see that part in red, ya you didn't actually read any of the other posts because if you had you would realize your post says the exact same thing as almost every other post in this thread.

 

TLDR:  Only take out what you can afford to lose.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search