Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,852,208 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,458
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » PvE server for darkfall UW?

19 Pages First « 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » Last Search
365 posts found
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

10/07/12 8:08:58 AM#241
Would be cool if someone made a fantasy mmo with a simmilar setup to eve.

1 massive world
Varying levels of low sec and high sec
Offline skilling
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

10/07/12 8:13:50 AM#242
It strikes me a pve server for darkfall would be like a pvp server in these raid oriented games like wow, rift, swtor et all.

Half arsed, tacked on at the last minute and badly done.
  Galadourn

Advanced Member

10/07/12 8:19:58 AM#243
Originally posted by ShakyMo

1 massive world
Offline skilling

well, #1 and #3 are already in DF. Let's see if they've done anything for #2

http://kck.st/Xo38HT

Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

10/07/12 8:31:11 AM#244
It strikes me a pve server for darkfall would be like a pvp server in these raid oriented games like wow, rift, swtor et all.

Half arsed, tacked on at the last minute and badly done.

Well stated. Thats *exactly* the problem with most games.  In order to appease the bean counters (investors/publisher) they attempt to distort the game into something its not.  PvE and PvP require not just different rule sets, but different talent/experience sets as well. 

CallsignVega

Novice Member

10/07/12 11:11:18 AM#245
Originally posted by Galadourn

1 massive world
Offline skilling

Terrible idea. One of the most frustrating thing's in Eve is that the vast majority of players all hide in virtually zero risk areas. So the amount of players you PvP against is very small compared to the overall numbers. So unless you suicide, like 70% of the player base is untouchable which is silly for a "PvP" game. 

Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

10/07/12 11:31:20 AM#246
Originally posted by CallsignVega

1 massive world
Offline skilling

Terrible idea. One of the most frustrating thing's in Eve is that the vast majority of players all hide in virtually zero risk areas. So the amount of players you PvP against is very small compared to the overall numbers. So unless you suicide, like 70% of the player base is untouchable which is silly for a "PvP" game. 

Not from a business point of view.  Which of course is the objective.  That is what is behind the evolution of Concord, and the high sec ROE.  As pro PvP as CCP is (which is VERY), they are also realistic enough to understand that they would lose a LOT of money, without Concord and the current high sec rules.   To paraphrase Bob; "They may be Care Bears, but their money is still Green"... ^^ 

I seriously doubt that would work for DF or MO. 

User Deleted
10/07/12 11:48:27 AM#247
Originally posted by Wraithone
Originally posted by CallsignVega

Not from a business point of view.  Which of course is the objective.  That is what is behind the evolution of Concord, and the high sec ROE.  As pro PvP as CCP is (which is VERY), they are also realistic enough to understand that they would lose a LOT of money, without Concord and the current high sec rules.   To paraphrase Bob; "They may be Care Bears, but their money is still Green"... ^^ 

I seriously doubt that would work for DF or MO. 

Indeed, you are right, but I don't think it is even just from a business perspective. CCP did/are trying to build a complex sandbox which caters to a multitude of play types (within the sandbox niche playerbase). Having the game driven by pvp, but also providing high levels of protection (whilst importantly still not making anything 100% safe) makes perfect sense.

Darkfall on the other hand is completely pvp focused. It is a pvp game. It just happens to be in a persistent, open world. And as you say, it really would not suit the EVE model or pve servers as it is not trying to be EVE, nor cater to people not interested in a big old, ffa pvp fest.

Jakdstripper

Novice Member

10/07/12 1:51:47 PM#248

honestly i believe they should have a pve server, just so they can have a solid revenue stream to rely on. PVP only games never have a big enough sub base to be able to survive.

Melkrow

Novice Member

This is my quote.

10/07/12 9:18:04 PM#249

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Originally posted by Drvanitus If they can implement it properly, WHY NOT!! GO FOR IT AV!  
The multiple reasons as to WHY NOT!!? have been stated multiple times throughout this thread.

They're all stupid extreme reasons that make no sense what so ever.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.

Pratt2112

Elite Member

10/07/12 9:47:23 PM#250
Originally posted by DavisFlight
Originally posted by DAS1337
Originally posted by 123443211234

Sorry to burst your bubble but DF1 did not fail it is stil going.  People that seem to want to change the ruleset of DF just don't get we aren't looking for millions of players not even hundreds of thousands just.....thousands of like minded individuals that want to play in a harsh environment where it takes actual skill to survive and thrive.

We like our niche game, aren't looking to make bazillions of dollars just a ffa full loot niche game.

It did fail based on what they could have achieved.  I am certain that a huge percentage of the people whoe tried DF, have quit.  That is a massive failure.  When you are in development for as long as DF was and had been released for as long as it is, then the developers decide to scrap their original and create a new game because of how many flaws and mistakes they made, that is a failure.  I fail from time to time at things, I don't die from my mistakes, but that doesn't mean they weren't failures.  Understand?

It's a niche game and a failure because it could be so much more.  I personally believe the PvE server idea is a bag one.  However, one of the main reasons that DF is a falure is because they are focusing too much on PvP.  Games like UO and SWG survives and thrived because they were more of an open world fantasy simulator than a large PvP arena. 

Those two games also had huge teams of experienced developers with big budgets behind them. Darkfall did not.

And a large percentage of people quit EVERY MMO.

I'd hardly call Darkfall a failure considering it made enough profit to raise a second server and hire 30 new devs. You don't do that when you're a "failure".

I don't think it's inaccurate, nor insulting, to say that DF failed to achieve what AV intended it to. I mean, Tasos has pretty much indicated that himself. The fact that they're creating a new game because DF was just "too broken" to be worth fixing, it's pretty hard to argue that it didn't fail on some level. It didn't fail utterly. It's still up and running and playable. But it didn't reach its possible potential, due to myriad mistakes made from very early on, as well as things AV were too slow to address.

That said, I think it would be a mistake and a bad idea to try and split the game up into, essentially, two different games, just to appease a hypothetical population of people who we are supposed to assume would enjoy it enough to make it worthwhile.

If AV was to do that, they would have to commit equally to both games - the PvP and the PvE. Unless they were somehow able to afford the cost of doubling their staff to have a full team working on each version, they would have to split their already small team in half, dividing their efforts. This means neither game would be getting 100% attention it requires and deserves, both versions would suffer. We already see this being the case in other MMOs that have tried to cater to both playstyles. Inevitably, one side or the other complains of being neglected with the other being favored.

Plus, again, Aventurine was formed from the very beginning with the intent of creating an old-school open world MMORPG with FFA PvP and full loot. That was their goal. That's what their time, effort and passion went into doing. It's still what that's all going into doing. It can be argued all day long what a PvE server would or wouldn't do for the game. At the end of the day, I think that's all for naught, because a PvE game just isn't what Aventurine is interested in creating.

There are literally hundreds of MMOs out there catering 100% to PvE content. Some of them are even sandboxy games. DF is one of very few - you can probably count all of them on one hand - that truly cater to the FFA PvP crowd.

AV wants to create an engaging and exciting FFA PvP-enabled MMO experience. 100% of their attention should go into doing so.

"Devs need to stop trying to make MMOs for people who don't like MMOs" - thevampirelematt/Reddit

znaiika

Novice Member

10/07/12 10:11:57 PM#251

Can any of you guys name a sandbox mmo without full loot and no pvp, please.

Because every sandbox game with modern graphics are turned in to a pvp, seriously that make me upset. 

znaiika

Novice Member

10/08/12 1:40:12 PM#252

When you start DF the very first time you have this protecting flag, which make you pvp off, why not making this flag to be turned on whenever you please but if you turned pvp flag on? you would not be able to turn it back off ever again.

That way everyone can take part in the same game and no need for pve server.

And with pvp off you also keep your loot, but you have to go back to get it if you fall victim.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

10/08/12 1:50:08 PM#253
I would like a fantasy game with varying security levels like eve and perpetuum, wouldn't necessarily have to have as much low sec as eve, but I like the managing your own risk factor, I like that its a sliding scale rather than a binary completely safe / completely unsafe setup.

Not sure that would go with darkfall though. But someone should do it.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

10/08/12 1:52:07 PM#254
Znaiika:

It's entirely possible to play eve or perpetuum without hardly ever pvping. Your never completely safe but its very very rare to get attacked in high sec areas.
  senadin

Novice Member

10/08/12 1:53:41 PM#255

Originally posted by karmath

Originally posted by Yalexy  

Originally posted by 123443211234 NO Everything in Darkfall revolves around pvp and the ability to be killed at any time.  A pve only server would be an entirely different game.  Although the pve in Darkfall is better, harder, and more interesting than any other mmo I've ever played it will never come close to preparing someone for a pvp encounter.  (i.e. your get comfortable and transfer comment)
  And that's exactly the reason why DF:UW will fail the same way as DF1. A meaningless gankfest with FPS-combat.... I'd rather play any other FPS where there's no monthly subscription.
Because your actions as player having a persistant non scripted impact on the game world is meaningless. ok.

Why you people even bother to come on sandbox game forums when you cant seem to grasp the very basics of why people like sandboxes I cant understand. There is a plethora of themepark titles relevant to your interests, go there and leave us with our interest.

Sandbox does not equal to PVP inclusively.

User Deleted
10/08/12 2:22:54 PM#256
Originally posted by Drvanitus

Originally posted by Drvanitus If they can implement it properly, WHY NOT!! GO FOR IT AV!  
The multiple reasons as to WHY NOT!!? have been stated multiple times throughout this thread.

The company involved in creating the game, are pvp fans, setting out to create a pvp centric mmo, not a PVE, everything for everyone, game. They simply show no inclination whatsoever, they don't want to make a non pvp game. No, that's not a stupid reason.

The company involved are aiming it at a specfic niche audience, they are well aware that they could churn out a themepark and probably make more money. But they want to stick to their vision. They don't want Darkfall Lite, they want to focus on Darkfall the open world pvp game. No, that's not a stupid reason.

All the major mechanics of the game are built upon, or interlinked with FFA, open, loot based pvp. Changing that is not "simple". It takes time, moneyy and effort, something the devs should be spending on the core model. No, that's not a stupid reason.

People who signed up for the game, as a pvp centric sandbox, want the development team to focus 100% of their time, money and effort on the core model. Not some half assed pve server just in the off chance that they might get more subs from an audience the game was never aimed at in the first place. No, that's not a stupid reason.

Not every sandbox is trying to be like EVE, not every game is aimed at everyone. This game happens to be aimed at pvp centric, open world players. A pve sandbox might be great, butchering a pvp sandbox into one, nope that isn't a great idea. So no, that's not a stupid reason either.

I'm not sure what is so difficult to grasp with the fact that the company doesn't seem to want to do it, the fact that the fans have a major issue with time and money being devoted on a form of the game they didn't sign up for and the fact that it isn't easy to remove pvp from a game completely built upon pvp. It's a pvp game, built by a pvp fanboi dev team, for a pvp audience. "PVE server plox!!!!!!!".....

But let's consider the arguments for it to be fair. Oh right they are: "I would totally play a pve version of a pvp game dude" fantastic reason. "Like they would make so much more money if they just deviated completely from their core ideas". Yeah, really solid arguments from the pro PVE camp thus far.

Mad+Dog

Advanced Member

10/08/12 2:32:17 PM#257
Originally posted by Drvanitus

The company involved in creating the game, are pvp fans, setting out to create a pvp centric mmo, not a PVE, everything for everyone, game. They simply show no inclination whatsoever, they don't want to make a non pvp game. No, that's not a stupid reason.

The company involved are aiming it at a specfic niche audience, they are well aware that they could churn out a themepark and probably make more money. But they want to stick to their vision. They don't want Darkfall Lite, they want to focus on Darkfall the open world pvp game. No, that's not a stupid reason.

All the major mechanics of the game are built upon, or interlinked with FFA, open, loot based pvp. Changing that is not "simple". It takes time, moneyy and effort, something the devs should be spending on the core model. No, that's not a stupid reason.

People who signed up for the game, as a pvp centric sandbox, want the development team to focus 100% of their time, money and effort on the core model. Not some half assed pve server just in the off chance that they might get more subs from an audience the game was never aimed at in the first place. No, that's not a stupid reason.

Not every sandbox is trying to be like EVE, not every game is aimed at everyone. This game happens to be aimed at pvp centric, open world players. A pve sandbox might be great, butchering a pvp sandbox into one, nope that isn't a great idea. So no, that's not a stupid reason either.

I'm not sure what is so difficult to grasp with the fact that the company doesn't seem to want to do it, the fact that the fans have a major issue with time and money being devoted on a form of the game they didn't sign up for and the fact that it isn't easy to remove pvp from a game completely built upon pvp. It's a pvp game, built by a pvp fanboi dev team, for a pvp audience. "PVE server plox!!!!!!!".....

But let's consider the arguments for it to be fair. Oh right they are: "I would totally play a pve version of a pvp game dude" fantastic reason. "Like they would make so much more money if they just deviated completely from their core ideas". Yeah, really solid arguments from the pro PVE camp thus far.

I love you, EPIC post.

PVE Care Bears, leave our game alone, go play your 10000000 of PVE games, we literally only have a few.

znaiika

Novice Member

10/08/12 4:28:47 PM#258
Znaiika:

It's entirely possible to play eve or perpetuum without hardly ever pvping. Your never completely safe but its very very rare to get attacked in high sec areas.

Eve and perpetuum are both space type games, there aren't any open world sandbox games with optional pvp and without FFA loot, all those games are hijecked by pvpers.

Realbigdeal

Apprentice Member

10/08/12 6:07:47 PM#259
Originally posted by znaiika

When you start DF the very first time you have this protecting flag, which make you pvp off, why not making this flag to be turned on whenever you please but if you turned pvp flag on? you would not be able to turn it back off ever again.

And with pvp off you also keep your loot, but you have to go back to get it if you fall victim.

With pvp off, there will be so many spy. This is the number 1 reason on why im against it.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

znaiika

Novice Member

10/08/12 6:43:21 PM#260
Originally posted by Realbigdeal
Originally posted by znaiika

With pvp off, there will be so many spy. This is the number 1 reason on why im against it.

Well, this is a good thing not knowing who is spy and who is not, you would have to outsmurt those spy agents, and that make's the game more interesting.

19 Pages First « 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » Last Search