Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Camelot Unchained | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,444 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,823
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » PvE server for darkfall UW?

19 Pages First « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 » Last Search
365 posts found
  Falesh

Novice Member

10/05/12 1:23:56 PM#221

Originally posted by DAS1337It's so mind-boggling as to how DF supporters can continue to defend their game and the company who made it years after launch, AND after the company itself admits to it's own FAILURE. I mean, really dude? Take off the blinders and call it for what it is. DF:UW will do little in the way of bringing new players to the game in the end. It will keep existing players happy, and perhaps a few more subs will be made.

I think you are confusing potential and success. Darkfall is the best game I have played by a long long way since UO. That is categorically not a failure, calling a game a failure when what I feel is mirrored by so many others is mind-boggling. It could, however, have been even better and it could have appealed/not put off many more people. That is why they made DF:UW.

Mad+Dog

Advanced Member

10/05/12 1:25:53 PM#222
Originally posted by Falesh

Originally posted by DAS1337It's so mind-boggling as to how DF supporters can continue to defend their game and the company who made it years after launch, AND after the company itself admits to it's own FAILURE. I mean, really dude? Take off the blinders and call it for what it is. DF:UW will do little in the way of bringing new players to the game in the end. It will keep existing players happy, and perhaps a few more subs will be made.

I think you are confusing potential and success. Darkfall is the best game I have played by a long long way since UO. That is categorically not a failure, calling a game a failure when what I feel is mirrored by so many others is mind-boggling. It could, however, have been even better and it could have appealed/not put off many more people. That is why they made DF:UW.

Falesh is my hero and I love him!!

apocoluster

Novice Member

\m/,

10/05/12 1:28:18 PM#223
Originally posted by Beacker
Originally posted by NC360

The Devs for the game are hardcore PvPers themselves, who are focusing on a niche market. In other words: they don't want to make a game for you. Seriously, they understand there are other games for that.

^^^ This right here. I only wish there were more like minded devs who would create these types of games for us hardcore pvp'rs.

But you already have Darkfall..why would you need more  :)

It is a smaller market but most games now a days PVP is just a lacking afterthought. People who PVP don't usually care about PVE so why would we want a PVE server?

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Jasz

Novice Member

10/05/12 1:41:09 PM#224

I love the pve in Darkfall, its tough. There is always the fear of getting ganked. You can't find a rush like that in any pve game or on any pve server.

I am horrible at the pvp in darkfall. That being said, I wouldn't change a thing. The way the game is set up makes it fun and exciting for the DF carebear such as myself. The risk of losing everything you work for adds to the entertainment value of the game.

Finding a way to make the money and craft the things others need in an extreme enviroment..there is nothing like it. If only every carebear experience was like that.

Aelious

Elite Member

World > Quest Progression

10/05/12 4:04:59 PM#225

Although sandbox and PvP are not synonimous with one another I do respect AV and DF fans for wanting their game to stay true to itself.  I'm sure they know a PvE server would bring in more revenue but they may also lose fans in the process.  One person said play Vanguard which I would agree has a close feeling to it and oh how I wish VG had an open skill based system.

I hope DF:UW turns out great as it's a unique title and calls for a dedicated fanbase.

Hancakes

Novice Member

10/05/12 4:18:23 PM#226
Originally posted by Jasz

I love the pve in Darkfall, its tough. There is always the fear of getting ganked. You can't find a rush like that in any pve game or on any pve server.

Sadly, many people will never experience that rush.  They've been programmed to fear real PvP are are too scared to enter the deep end. 

Aelious

Elite Member

World > Quest Progression

10/05/12 4:55:19 PM#227
LOL

Or maybe people just play for different reasons. I personally loved playing a PvP game for a while and now I prefer something different. Or maybe you're right, maybe there's something wrong with me for not liking what you do lol.

Stay hardcore bro :)
  Hancakes

Novice Member

10/05/12 5:06:19 PM#228
Theme Park PvP doesn't count, that's like PVE with really bad AI.
  User Deleted
10/05/12 6:30:49 PM#229
This thread needs to be taken out back and shot.
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

10/05/12 6:52:10 PM#230
Originally posted by Wraithone
Originally posted by bunnyhopper
Originally posted by SlyLoK
Originally posted by xpiher
A PvE server would be pointless. Name one reason DFO would be fun to play PvE only? The entire core of the game is built around PvP. You would have to develope a completely different game to make PvE only viable. 

I would try the game if it had a PvE server and I am probably not the only one..

UO is still going because of Trammel after all.

In spite of Trammel you mean.

No. Having been in UO pre Trammel, the ganking and griefing was getting way out of hand.  Lots of people leaving, really forced their hand.  Absent Trammel, I doubt UO would still be in operation.  The modern western audience has changed. The majority will not tolerate a game that allows (let alone encourages) ganking and griefing.  That in and of itself, limits such a game to a niche market.

But CCP managed to carve themselves out a nice sized niche by encourging ganking and griefing.  Difference is, there are many controls in place that permit a player to manage their level of risk which I'd like to have seen implemented in DF:UW, but it's not to be.

And that's what will likely happen here, this title will cater to a solid niche that is looking for exactly this type game, so it's all good. 

Fortunately not every developer sees the need to swing for the fence as it were and try to drag in WOW sized numbers.  We can only hope more try to be different in the future.

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
"People can do with their money what they want. But... that doesn't make it smart" - COORS
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Wraithone

Advanced Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

10/05/12 8:05:42 PM#231
Originally posted by Kyleran
Originally posted by Wraithone
Originally posted by SlyLoK
Originally posted by xpiher
A PvE server would be pointless. Name one reason DFO would be fun to play PvE only? The entire core of the game is built around PvP. You would have to develope a completely different game to make PvE only viable. 

I would try the game if it had a PvE server and I am probably not the only one..

UO is still going because of Trammel after all.

In spite of Trammel you mean.

No. Having been in UO pre Trammel, the ganking and griefing was getting way out of hand.  Lots of people leaving, really forced their hand.  Absent Trammel, I doubt UO would still be in operation.  The modern western audience has changed. The majority will not tolerate a game that allows (let alone encourages) ganking and griefing.  That in and of itself, limits such a game to a niche market.

But CCP managed to carve themselves out a nice sized niche by encourging ganking and griefing.  Difference is, there are many controls in place that permit a player to manage their level of risk which I'd like to have seen implemented in DF:UW, but it's not to be.

And that's what will likely happen here, this title will cater to a solid niche that is looking for exactly this type game, so it's all good. 

Fortunately not every developer sees the need to swing for the fence as it were and try to drag in WOW sized numbers.  We can only hope more try to be different in the future.

But we've both seen the evolution of Concord, and the high sec ROE.  They didn't do that because they wanted to (CCP being one of the most rabid pro PvP companies I've seen in a long time ^^). They did it to protect their business model, and to keep as many CareBears as paying customers as possible.  You do remember all of the howling about that evolution, from the Usual Suspects, I trust? 

Its still a niche, but its one that they have demonstrated is more than profitable for their purposes. But also don't forget that EVE sets the bar for some of the best space themed art assets in the world.  They have world class talent doing their ship designs, and also optimization server cluster side. 

But as these games get more and more expensive, I doubt we will see many who are willing to take the risks involved.  The mixture of funding/talent/experience and timing that made EVE possible, is very rare. 

thinktank001

Advanced Member

10/06/12 12:57:41 AM#232
Originally posted by Hairysun

Ok, so I was completely opposed to a pve server for DF:UW.  Earlier in this thread I even stated that it was like asking Blizzard if WoW would ever have a pvp full loot server.  It'll never happen, the developers don't believe that what makes a game good.

Thinking on the subject I came to an interesting compromise for everyone.  What if they had a server that was PvE on certain days of the week and PvP on others.  The PvE-ers could have time to explore, grind out some spells or weapons, craft ... etc.  The PvP-ers would have some sheep to slaughter providing the PvE-ers were at a level of skill they felt comfortable giving it a go.  Say, on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday and Sunday, the mixed server would have PvE and consentual PvP.  On Friday and Saturday it would be on ..... open PvP with full Loot.

They could even mix it up a bit more by doing open PvP but not full loot on some days.  I know this goes against the very essence of what Darkfall is. Personally, I am fine with the full loot PvP mechanic, I just know a lot of people wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole because of it.  Just some thoughts on how to ease people into the brutal world that is Darkfall.

It is also entirely possible that this has been mentioned before.  I did not read through the whole thread.  If so, then ...... carry on.

Hairysun

I didn't mention this exactly, but it is what I was explaining more broadly in my posts.    A PvE server doesn't need raids.   It just has to have a more strict set of PvP rules.  

User Deleted
10/06/12 5:44:35 AM#233
Originally posted by thinktank001
Originally posted by Hairysun

I didn't mention this exactly, but it is what I was explaining more broadly in my posts.    A PvE server doesn't need raids.   It just has to have a more strict set of PvP rules.  

A more strict set of PvP rules for a persistent, open world pvp game. Built by a pvp orientated development team, wishing to create a pvp centric game to cater to a pvp focused subset of the mmo playerbase. With all the major mechanics of said pvp game being interlinked or otherwise dependant upon, pvp.

Yes a PVE server or more restrictive pvp makes perfect sense.

znaiika

Novice Member

10/06/12 1:15:17 PM#234
I would play DUW if it has pve and pvp servers.
  Hancakes

Novice Member

10/06/12 3:18:44 PM#235
Originally posted by znaiika
I would play DUW if it has pve and pvp servers.

Guess you wont be playing

pdabb38

Novice Member

10/06/12 8:30:18 PM#236

zomg. If you want a lot of pve content within a safe zone, that has meaningful pvp.You are basically describing DAoC. From what little I have read about  TESO, it is being made by the original team that developed DAoC and supposedly has the three distinct realms with thier own unique races in a three faction type pvp. AKA Realm Vs Realm. That is most likely the game to follow instead of Darkfall.

I'm gonna play Darkfall because I know that guild/alliance battles/wars with open PvP and no seperate pve sanctum rocks. It sounds like ShadowBane type of play. I'm sick of playing basically solo PvE games.I remember how cool it was in shadowbane to log on at 6est and roll out of your keep with your crew. I think many who are crying for a PvE server are envisioning a typical solo type experiance that all the new games like GW2 are about. In an open pvp game you don't really have to be great at pvp to play. Just show up on time and roll with your group.I usually play support which im good at in these type of games.If your group gets rolled,well at least you aren't in a predicimant by yourself.

Melkrow

Novice Member

This is my quote.

10/07/12 4:36:24 AM#237

If they can implement it properly, WHY NOT!! GO FOR IT AV!

They could even do like mainland PVE and continents PVP, and of course there is clan warfare that can take place anywhere, not to mention sieges. It could work well and it would be popular server, probably more so than PVP server. I hope they do it. I'm definitely not gonna play on it, but whatever brings more people to DF as a whole is a good thing.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.

User Deleted
10/07/12 5:53:14 AM#238
Originally posted by Drvanitus

The multiple reasons as to WHY NOT!!? have been stated multiple times throughout this thread.

znaiika

Novice Member

10/07/12 8:27:22 AM#239

The multiple reasons as to WHY NOT!!? have been stated multiple times throughout this thread.

Tell me, how in the world would pve server break your experience on pvp server?

Two separate servers would never interact with each other, like someone said, that would make a whole two different games.

With pve server added, developers would have a lot higher population and be able to pay for maintance.

User Deleted
10/07/12 8:46:06 AM#240
Originally posted by znaiika

Tell me, how in the world would pve server break your experience on pvp server?

Two separate servers would never interact with each other, like someone said, that would make a whole two different games.

With pve server added, developers would have a lot higher population and be able to pay for maintance.

The reasons are repeated over and over in this thread. I (and others) have pointed out several times now why it is a bad idea.

Each time you get someone new coming in going "oh yeah just whack a pve server, why not!!!!".

19 Pages First « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 » Last Search