Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,754 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,891
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » Unholy Wars : What we know so far

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
57 posts found
  CallsignVega

Novice Member

10/04/12 10:23:11 PM#41
Originally posted by Biskop
Originally posted by Rorschach1797
Originally posted by Caldrin

Yes its not up to the stadnards of todays SP and maybe not quite there with AAA mmorpg titles but it does appear to be better than the origional..

But all the other games out there are instanced Crap. In DF u have one big World where u can go from the Northern Part down to the most southern part without stupid loading screens

Yeah, that's one of the things that makes DF unique. No other game has such a huge, seamless world - with the exception of Vanguard perhaps which, truth be told, separates the world into three continents with loading screens in between. DF's dungeons are instanced however while VG's aren't. 

It's funny though, we keep hearing from AAA devs that making open worlds is so hard and not doable at all, hence all the corridor-styled, rail-like "worlds" they keep selling us...

But DF is here and proves them all wrong; AV built their own engine and made possibly the largest map in any MMO, you can run across it without a single loading screen, and you have (or had at least, lol) battles with hundreds of players fighting it out with real-time, twitch-based combat.

So it always makes me smile when I hear guys like the TESO devs claiming that making an ES-styled MMO is impossible, despite them having 100x more $ than AV had they still have to feed us the same instanced, tab-targeting crap...

What do you mean DF's dungeons are instanced?

chryses

Novice Member

10/04/12 11:28:21 PM#42

This is a hard call. I didn't like the first game because the graphics was a little outdated (how can anyone play the Orc? I couldn't see over my shoulder).

However I could still live with that if the inventory/UI was up to scratch. What I am reading gives me hope that this may be a great game if enough people play it. 

But if I find myself dragging and dropping 100's of items and seeing a messed up inventory/bank, then it would be hard for me to stick to this.

I am really hoping this is my hardcore pvp sandbox game I play alongside GW2.

phantomghost

Novice Member

"Kill me, my man kills you, that's how you lose."

10/04/12 11:32:45 PM#43

They said they did change some of the inventory things

Finally, we have made item management much neater and more streamlined with new stacking features, a dedicated weapon and item bar, and a reduced number of spell reagents.

Kind of minimal answer but just tells you they did at least think about it.

"I see they watchin' me and takin' notes on my moves, Run up on me it's all I want I ain't got nothin' to lose."

Atlan99

Advanced Member

10/05/12 12:08:59 AM#44
The one thing that worries me is that there are still a lot of things up in the air with the launch date about a month away.
  phantomghost

Novice Member

10/05/12 12:14:12 AM#45

The way I look at it... $30 is not that bad. 

Launch of DF1 was best time I have had in an MMO since I quit EQ.  I plan to play at launch.  And I hope the game turns out better than I hope and expect.

"I see they watchin' me and takin' notes on my moves, Run up on me it's all I want I ain't got nothin' to lose."

psykobilly

Novice Member

10/05/12 1:11:55 AM#46

So what are they doing to make races equal?  Just making all the hitboxes the same regardless of the character model?

It sounds like bunnyhopping is still in, but you go unconscious if you do it too much.  Should have just made it one bounce.  I wonder if lop-sided world phsyics is still in (begone etc.).

The role system seems really generic.  I hope that mages won't get access to every mage spell and that there is a lot of specialization in each role.  I'm really curious if there will even be any attempt to balance mages vs. other roles 1v1.

Removal of rays is great.  Ray scripts were really annoying.  I hope that whirlwind is removed or fixed... auto-hit whirlwind was really lame.

What do they mean by macroing won't work any more?  How will you gain skill in spells that are non-offensive?  Can't these always be macroed some how?

I feel like some questions were answered but a lot was left open.  It's hard to believe anything Tasos says as is, but especially hard to believe it launches in 7 weeks or so and no beta is announced?

phantomghost

Novice Member

10/05/12 1:20:09 AM#47
Originally posted by psykobilly

So what are they doing to make races equal?  Just making all the hitboxes the same regardless of the character model?

It sounds like bunnyhopping is still in, but you go unconscious if you do it too much.  Should have just made it one bounce.  I wonder if lop-sided world phsyics is still in (begone etc.).

The role system seems really generic.  I hope that mages won't get access to every mage spell and that there is a lot of specialization in each role.  I'm really curious if there will even be any attempt to balance mages vs. other roles 1v1.

Removal of rays is great.  Ray scripts were really annoying.  I hope that whirlwind is removed or fixed... auto-hit whirlwind was really lame.

What do they mean by macroing won't work any more?  How will you gain skill in spells that are non-offensive?  Can't these always be macroed some how?

I feel like some questions were answered but a lot was left open.  It's hard to believe anything Tasos says as is, but especially hard to believe it launches in 7 weeks or so and no beta is announced?

I think I read you can choose like a primary and secondary spell tree.  But you cannot do fire and water... or earth and air... you can't do the opposite type.

I am curious too about the role system.  I hope they put limits on the roles to make people more specialized. 

As far as macroing won't work... I am sure there are ways around it but they probably have something implemented to prevent it. 

As far as races that seemed confusing they seemed to sort of state they are making it equal but then at the same time they said do not let the benefits of one make you not play what you want... so guess we will see.

They had good ideas for the different races it was just a lot never got implemented which meant those races did not have advantages but did receive disadvantages.

ChaosChest

Novice Member

OP  10/05/12 1:32:41 PM#48
Originally posted by phantomghost

Launch of DF1 was best time I have had in an MMO since I quit EQ.  I plan to play at launch.  And I hope the game turns out better than I hope and expect.

If you still have your DF1 account info you won't need to pay the 29.99 client fee.

So whatever the subscription fee is , is all you will need to pay for DF UW. So possibly only 9.99-14.99 to try it out for a month to see if you like it  or not. Also the first month or 2 will probably be a lot of fun as well.

corpusc

Advanced Member

CHATTANOOGAN

contact me if you are seriously interested in
* C#
* making an old schoolish FPS

10/05/12 1:34:55 PM#49

everyone interested in DFUW should be following

dfstuff.com

The End
---------------------------
i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

phantomghost

Novice Member

10/06/12 4:37:56 AM#50
Originally posted by ChaosChest
Originally posted by phantomghost

If you still have your DF1 account info you won't need to pay the 29.99 client fee.

So whatever the subscription fee is , is all you will need to pay for DF UW. So possibly only 9.99-14.99 to try it out for a month to see if you like it  or not. Also the first month or 2 will probably be a lot of fun as well.

Yeah I got both accounts I used (EU and NA account still)

Falesh

Novice Member

10/06/12 4:52:22 AM#51

Originally posted by corpusc

dfstuff.com

I agree, but I made the site so I'm biased. :p

corpusc

Advanced Member

CHATTANOOGAN

contact me if you are seriously interested in
* C#
* making an old schoolish FPS

10/06/12 2:41:15 PM#52
Originally posted by Falesh

Originally posted by corpusc

dfstuff.com

I agree, but I made the site so I'm biased. :p

8)

nice job, and thanks for that

The End
---------------------------
i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

10/06/12 4:23:37 PM#53
I'm going to check this game out, sounds interesting.

Am I right in guessing the pvp in this game takes the best from;

Eve - skill based, politics, economy driven, high and low security areas but no complete pve areas?

Daoc - big feck off siege battles, simmilar sort of world with open dungeons / no instancing?

& planetside - real time & first person combat?

If so, and its not a buggy mess, might be just the game for me.
  Falesh

Novice Member

10/06/12 5:22:12 PM#54

Originally posted by ShakyMo
I'm going to check this game out, sounds interesting.

Am I right in guessing the pvp in this game takes the best from;

Eve - skill based, politics, economy driven, high and low security areas but no complete pve areas?

Daoc - big feck off siege battles, simmilar sort of world with open dungeons / no instancing?

& planetside - real time & first person combat?

If so, and its not a buggy mess, might be just the game for me.

Pretty much. Politics has a massive role in Darkfall be it overt of covertly making clans/alliances fight each other. The sieges can be anything from small scale to truly epic in size with hundreds of combatants. Combat is FPS style with only manual targeting of spells, melee and archery. As a side note Archery is my love in Darkfall as the arrows have a travel speed, an arc and go exactly where you aim. This makes shooting enemies a real joy.

With regards to bugs you can be pretty confident in the games solidity as they have had three and a half years of experience and are properly funded now.

KatlaOdindottir

Novice Member

10/06/12 8:14:32 PM#55
This is going to be so epic, can not wait!

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

Ravenmane

Novice Member

I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.

10/07/12 10:35:07 AM#56
Want to play.  Want to play.  Want to play.  Sorry, I really enjoy Darkfall but I can't wait for Darkfall: Unholy Wars.

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."

User Deleted
10/11/12 10:56:11 PM#57

It was really pleasing to read that older gamers does'nt need to buy it; I have 3 accounts. This means I can give 2 away when I return. Which means no fear of wasting any money on a game that I might not like :)

If there was something about the subscription fee; I missed it. Anyone knows what that will be? Another thing I wonder about too is if it will be "like" DF1 where you almost "had" to have a 2nd account to harvest/mine with or do some other uninteresting afk grind just to be able to keep up or be self sufficient?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search