Trending Games | Trove | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | Shroud of the Avatar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,766,913 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,186,234
Hammerpoint Interactive | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Horror | Status:Final  (rel 12/17/12)  | Pub:Hammerpoint Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Infestation: Survivor Stories Forum » General Discussion » Developers looking at ways to stop this being a gankfest including pve servers .

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
50 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  10/21/12 3:23:22 PM#21
Originally posted by Icewhite
Originally posted by roo67
Originally posted by Jakdstripper

ganking is what pvp players like to do. you can't make a pvp game and avoid ganking.

True but as people have pointed out this is ment to be a survival horror game and not simply about pvp . So you do need some checks and balances to make sure it doesn't get out of hand . Theres a big difference between a pvp game and a gankfest which  will put off a lot of players .

Every mmo company must find out the hard way.  About three seconds later, 'carebear' first appears...

And the official war between company needs (new player retention) and pv-peen (gankin da nubs) is on.

I think your post shows exactly why theres need for different types of servers and why lots of people want to avoid playing with people like yourself .

bubaluba

Novice Member

10/21/12 3:35:41 PM#22
Whiners forget something :) You have same chance as anyone else, it is not fault of good pvp guys that you suck so much. Simple as that it is not game for some of you guys. I bet that most of the whiners used to say in some other mmo's--If you want easy way go play wow. I say now same thing to you--GO PLAY WOW if you want instant respawn . And that comes from guy who plays  wow for over 8 years.  I die from laughing when i see in game  this kind of guys in panic missing me with 10 bullets. You don't die for real guys, why are you afraid so much :)
  DAS1337

Advanced Member

10/22/12 2:21:24 AM#23
Originally posted by bubaluba
Whiners forget something :) You have same chance as anyone else, it is not fault of good pvp guys that you suck so much. Simple as that it is not game for some of you guys. I bet that most of the whiners used to say in some other mmo's--If you want easy way go play wow. I say now same thing to you--GO PLAY WOW if you want instant respawn . And that comes from guy who plays  wow for over 8 years.  I die from laughing when i see in game  this kind of guys in panic missing me with 10 bullets. You don't die for real guys, why are you afraid so much :)

No, you don't actually.  You can't attack someone with nothing.  If you have a flashlight out, you are going to be a huge target for everyone at night.  Plus, who is going to win?  A flashlight or a shotgun, or assault rifle, or sniper riflt?  The answer is obvious.  People are killing people for no reason, other than because you can.  It's a big reason why WarZ will never be what it could be. I personally believe that private servers would do this game a lot of good.  If not private, then PvE servers.  If you don't want to be bored and you don't want to play a 'crappy' version of the game, then join the normal PvP servers and get your gank on.  By hating on giving the players options, you are just making yourself look like you want people to be unhappy just because you don't like something.  

Id rather just have the normal servers balanced properly, but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

User Deleted

OP  10/22/12 8:30:03 AM#24
Originally posted by bubaluba

Again this shows why faction based servers and pve ones are a good idea . You dont seem a paticulary social person so you would be better playing on hardcore servers where you wont get player interaction and you can kill and gank people to your hearts content . Just what would you have against there being different server options ? You dont have to play on them if you don't like them . More options with servers will mean more people playing which means the game might survive longer . You really havn't thought this through have you ? Doesn't supprise me one bit though .

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

10/22/12 9:14:09 AM#25

Originally posted by coretex666

Originally posted by roo67 I've just noticed this like on the War Z facebook page . It does sound like they are listening to concerns about this becoming a gankfest . http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?35575-PVP-problem/page54 This includes the possible inclusion of different types of servers including pve ones .
I think that pve servers would lack the spirit of the game. At least for me, this type of game is about it being realistic.

I played only DayZ, not this one, but I believe it also relies a lot on the atmosphere and setting.

It just wouldnt be the same if you cant kill another person.

It's a zombie apocalypse. ZOMBIES. It's not a realistic representation of anything. Aside from the ZOMBIES, people don't behave the same way in real life as they do in video games. "Realistic" is just a bad argument for anything in a video game or virtual environment.

From a developer's perspective, it makes sense to reach as many people as you can, with the resources you have available without compromising the vision the developer has for their game. If a developer isn't tied to a particular style of server, then there's no reason they shouldn't explore more possibilities. A server with factions or a PvE based server with optional PvP are definitely options to explore, if for no other reason than to rule them out as viable models for their game.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

Zadawn

Apprentice Member

10/22/12 9:25:59 AM#26
Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by roo67 I've just noticed this like on the War Z facebook page . It does sound like they are listening to concerns about this becoming a gankfest . http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?35575-PVP-problem/page54 This includes the possible inclusion of different types of servers including pve ones .
I think that pve servers would lack the spirit of the game. At least for me, this type of game is about it being realistic.

I played only DayZ, not this one, but I believe it also relies a lot on the atmosphere and setting.

It just wouldnt be the same if you cant kill another person.

It's a zombie apocalypse. ZOMBIES. It's not a realistic representation of anything. Aside from the ZOMBIES, people don't behave the same way in real life as they do in video games. "Realistic" is just a bad argument for anything in a video game or virtual environment.

From a developer's perspective, it makes sense to reach as many people as you can, with the resources you have available without compromising the vision the developer has for their game. If a developer isn't tied to a particular style of server, then there's no reason they shouldn't explore more possibilities. A server with factions or a PvE based server with optional PvP are definitely options to explore, if for no other reason than to rule them out as viable models for their game.

If this zombie apocalypse would be real and you would run around with a bottle of water and a gun while i would be thirsty then be sure that i wouldn't ask you for it ,i would rather kill you than take chances.

It is a survival game,do whatever you have to do in order to survive,even if that means killing others to CHECK if they have something.

Sora2810

Novice Member

10/22/12 9:33:03 AM#27

I've just noticed this like on the War Z facebook page . It does sound like they are listening to concerns about this becoming a gankfest .

http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?35575-PVP-problem/page54

This includes the possible inclusion of different types of servers including pve ones .

Stop this right now. I'm tired of this falsehood. Stop posting ignorant threads that follow the same suit the modern media does.  "Oh justin beiber took a shit today--he must hate all races!" 

Fun fact! You can rent your own server. Fun Fact! You CAN'T disable PVP. Gee, how about password protecting your server so you and your close friends can play PVE style games? (Dramatic recreation) "Oh Em Ghee! F2P P2W this game cater's to carebears!"

TL;DR - No servers will be only PVP or PVE. None. Just like in DayZ; you can password protect servers and keep bandit/gankers out-but if you shoot at someone, they die. 

They want to discourage spawn ganking. That's it. Players are exploting the game and camping spawns. They are not targeting the players who camp towns or loot spots; only those who sit at the designated spawns. Hey! Guess what! You can still spawn camp; they only want to encourage you to stop by making you life harder in some way. They won't give new player spawns a protective bubble of invincibilty!

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

sfc1971

Hard Core Member

10/22/12 9:38:45 AM#28

Open world PvP has been pretty much given up on by the big developers and there is a simple reason, it doesn't sell.

Oh, the ideas are solid enough and in theory it could be a lot of fun but in reality it will be swamped by a small minority of grievers who chase all your paying customers away and then bitch there is nobody left to gank.

It is the online equivallent of letting your fast food joint be taken over by a small group of youths who scare away the paying families or your gym by a small gang. Oh, those small groups aren't nearly as dangerous as most think but when you are paying for something, you don't want to be hassled.

I remember being ganked in some korean game by a REALLY bad player, so bad I in fact won and my god, you never saw so much butt hurt whining. Most gankers cry to high heaven when it is THEM being ganked to the point you had endless posts on the SWTOR forums about how bounty hunters should be able to hunt jedi, yet NONE of those detailed plans included the lore true end of bounty hunters, sarlacc food. (yeah yeah, I know the extended universe has done a rewrite on Booby Fett from doofus wiped out by a blind smuggler to some kind of unstoppable killing machine).

Open world PvP is like opening a mall and putting a big sign up, "Welcome all angty teens hanging around menacing and really slow moving old people".

The first game that truly delivers balanced non-exploitable non-griefing PvP will be earning so much money they can buy Apple from money in their couch. 

But in the meantime, any game that has ganking and griefing basically is saying "Hi, after a lousy day at the office and a soul killing commute, why not give us some money to be annoyed by a kid with nothing better to do". 

There just ain't enough masochists in the world. Paying people don't pay to be someone elses entertainment. 

SabbathSMC

Novice Member

10/22/12 9:45:32 AM#29

There are multiple things going on here. First being killed 2 secs after you spawn cause someone is sitting there waiting for you to spawn to kill you is total BS.

The map is very small for this section of testing so people are spawning either on top of each other or very close. But you have people going to those spawn points to kill people entering the game.

Then you have server jumpers that log in long enough to see if anyone is around if nobody is there to kill they just jump to the next loot location and keep doing so until they do find someone to kill.

I do agree opening up the map will help some but its not toaly going to help. They have some issues and from what i have seen so far they will fix them.

I my self even being ganked at least 20 times now as i spawn into the game with a brand new character still love the game.Once you do get your character out of that crap fest and actually get to enjoy the game its a pretty good game design.

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

Zipp_23

Novice Member

10/22/12 9:46:17 AM#30
PVE servers in WarZ feels just wrong to me. It would (for me) absolutely lose its atmosphere. It would be like bumper cars without possibility to hit others, like vegetarian steak....
  Caldrin

Hard Core Member

10/22/12 9:56:57 AM#31

LOL PVE servers in this would be stupid.. what would be the point in the game..

You can melee zombies no problem so guns would be  a waste, i guess you could use thme if you wanted.. then build a base.. well put up some barricades to stop nothing.. game done thanks and bye...

Boring thats what it would be LOL...

IF you spawn in and someone is camping that spot, just keep making new character and keep spawning in so they waste all their nice very rare ammo.. infact get all your mates to do it as well..

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

10/22/12 10:52:56 AM#32
Originally posted by Caldrin

LOL PVE servers in this would be stupid.. what would be the point in the game..

You can melee zombies no problem so guns would be  a waste, i guess you could use thme if you wanted.. then build a base.. well put up some barricades to stop nothing.. game done thanks and bye...

Boring thats what it would be LOL...

IF you spawn in and someone is camping that spot, just keep making new character and keep spawning in so they waste all their nice very rare ammo.. infact get all your mates to do it as well..

The game could be designed so that the humans in the world are "forced" to band together or at least be strongly encouraged  to work together to defeat the zombie hordes threatening to exterminate humanity from the planet. (a la Tabula Rasa)

It doesn't have to designed to reward players for exterminating each other, that's just one possible scenario.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

10/22/12 10:56:33 AM#33

Originally posted by Zadawn

Originally posted by lizardbones  

I think that pve servers would lack the spirit of the game. At least for me, this type of game is about it being realistic.   I played only DayZ, not this one, but I believe it also relies a lot on the atmosphere and setting. It just wouldnt be the same if you cant kill another person.
It's a zombie apocalypse. ZOMBIES. It's not a realistic representation of anything. Aside from the ZOMBIES, people don't behave the same way in real life as they do in video games. "Realistic" is just a bad argument for anything in a video game or virtual environment. From a developer's perspective, it makes sense to reach as many people as you can, with the resources you have available without compromising the vision the developer has for their game. If a developer isn't tied to a particular style of server, then there's no reason they shouldn't explore more possibilities. A server with factions or a PvE based server with optional PvP are definitely options to explore, if for no other reason than to rule them out as viable models for their game.  
If this zombie apocalypse would be real and you would run around with a bottle of water and a gun while i would be thirsty then be sure that i wouldn't ask you for it ,i would rather kill you than take chances.

It is a survival game,do whatever you have to do in order to survive,even if that means killing others to CHECK if they have something.

It's still a video game. People just do not behave the same way in video games as they would in the real world. We have areas of the world where the governments collapse and what most people do is huddle together. A few people go on a rampage, but it's not wholesale slaughter. The War Z isn't any more realistic than any other video game. It might be realistic compared to other video games, but it's not realistic compared to the real world. The only way realism is a good argument for how to setup the mechanics in a game is if the developer wants things to be that way.

Obviously the developer of War Z isn't that happy with how things are turning out, and would like to try something different. This is the most sensible way to approach things. They should make the game they want. If that means a PvE Zombie Apocalypse, then so be it. If it means a faction based PvP game, then so be it. If it means the FFA PvP game they have in place now, then so be it. It would be a lot better for them to try the different things out and evaluate how they feel about them, rather than just sticking to one dead end path forever.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

Caldrin

Hard Core Member

10/22/12 11:02:00 AM#34
Originally posted by Kyleran

The game could be designed so that the humans in the world are "forced" to band together or at least be strongly encouraged  to work together to defeat the zombie hordes threatening to exterminate humanity from the planet. (a la Tabula Rasa)

It doesn't have to designed to reward players for exterminating each other, that's just one possible scenario.

Yeah that would be cool but they would still need to keep the PVP in as its one of the main parts of the game.. you will always have people who want to take things the easy way..

So criminals and bad people as such might band togeather to form gangs just like in real life, but on the flip side you would then have good people that band togeather to try and form a community..

Either way the game is still in alpha so there is a lot of work to go with game balance and so on... hopefully we will see some more mechanics coming in that discourage PVP to a certain extent :)

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

10/22/12 12:09:25 PM#35
Originally posted by Caldrin
Originally posted by Kyleran

Yeah that would be cool but they would still need to keep the PVP in as its one of the main parts of the game.. you will always have people who want to take things the easy way..

So criminals and bad people as such might band togeather to form gangs just like in real life, but on the flip side you would then have good people that band togeather to try and form a community..

Either way the game is still in alpha so there is a lot of work to go with game balance and so on... hopefully we will see some more mechanics coming in that discourage PVP to a certain extent :)

Hey, all possible designs are good, they can keep it a total frag fest if that's what the player base would prefer.

Lots of room in the MMORPG space for different sort of zombie apocalypse games and since this is pretty new studio probably best if they focus on making it very good in one area first, then consider expanding in other directions.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

10/22/12 1:46:46 PM#36

I think your post shows exactly why theres need for different types of servers and why lots of people want to avoid playing with people like yourself .

What am I like, exactly?

Come on, you can go first.  But I get to make up a bunch of qualities and assign them to you, too.  Fair is fair.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Ozivois

Novice Member

10/22/12 1:59:51 PM#37

The solution is simple: limit how many ffa pvp players a character can kill per day, but allow players to spawn in and play as zombies where they can kill as many as they want. 

Or create a system where players are penalized by becoming and playing as zombies for an hour, account bound.  Would also be a great death penalty in general, too.

You can get loot as a zombie that you can retain for your character.

Talonsin

Spotlight Poster

10/22/12 2:03:27 PM#38
I can tell you the official forum mods are deleting posts about it being a gankfest.  I posted there asking about the game and commented I had heard it was a gankfest and asked it the players felt that way and my post was deleted after several hours when over 3 pages of players had commented to how bad the ganking was.

Caskio

Advanced Member

MMOs are entertainment, not lifestyles.

10/22/12 2:04:15 PM#39

They could just make it so that bandit players have a high chance to spawn zombies on their location.  At least that way they would have to contend with something other than unsuspecting players.

I've been playing the game and I've been killed by players with sniper rifles only.  Even one of my own friends shot me, even when I told him I was almost to his position.  he didn't think twice to just kill any player that ran into his view.  Because really, who's going to stop him? The zombies? Not likely.  Other players?  Nope, they all die to the camping sniper players.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

SlickShoes

Novice Member

10/22/12 2:05:58 PM#40

Most of the ideas in this thread are great evidence to why none of you are game developers.

I haven't played WarZ but in DayZ if you take the threat of players out then there is nothing left, it is a lovely big map to explore but once you have explored it then that's you done. These games need the PvP to keep people coming back.

In WarZ it sounds like its currently a gank fest because of the high torch damage, small maps and close spawn points. If the opened a whole map of 200km square, spread out the spawns and you didnt start with a weapon the amount of people getting killed on spawn would drop massively.

In DayZ the spawns are spread out and generally when you spawn you have enough time to make a run for it before anyone can find you and take your painkillers and bandage.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search