Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Villagers and Heroes | Landmark | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,051 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,671
Hammerpoint Interactive | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Horror | Status:Final  (rel 12/17/12)  | Pub:Hammerpoint Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

7 posts found
  Raserei

Advanced Member

OP  12/04/12 1:30:22 PM#1

Current "beta" review....

About myself: 28 years old.... Been playing MMO's since I was 14 years old. (The Realm being my first) All I do is play MMORPG's and online games. The market is flooded right now and it is very hard to put a game out there to attract a ton of players since there are so many options.

Since this is a zombie survival game, I will go over each feature.

Items: This game revolves around an elaborate time sink. The time saver is the cash shop. While you might think it's like that in most cash shop games, this one is very different. The entire game revolves around you looking for equipment to survive or fight. The better weapons rarely spawn in small towns and semi-rarely spawn in large cities. That might sound find, but it takes literally 30-40 minutes sometimes more depending on player killers/zombies to get to a large city or cross the map. There are no vehicles "yet". This is where the cash shop comes in. You spend REAL money to buy a gun but you still lose it if you die.

Travelling: This is the main part of the game. Let's say you only have 1-3 hours per day or per week to play games. This is what you will experience. Login, walk around for 1-3 hours, find some food/water, MAYBE get killed by a player, see a few zombies, and that is your time in War Z. In order to get the "Big Guns", you need to spend time travelling to big cities and learning where they spawn. The travel time alone and searching will take you hours. Then you must server hop to get the gun respawned. Some players camp servers at these locations and kill server hoppers. To me, this isn't even a zombie survival game, I have no idea what it is.

Death: Not only does it take hours to travel, hours to find items, but then if you get killed by a player, you lose ALL your items AND you can't play the game for 1 hour. What kind of game locks you out for 1 hour after one death?

MMO?: Game servers currently hold 40 players. That is hardly an "MMO"... They say there are plans for a 200 person server but that won't change much. The game feels like a mod you could download in say Counter-Strike. There is a game lobby with a list of servers and you join whatever one you want.

Beta: Main arguement to my opinions is that it's beta. It is now in "closed beta". It is no longer an alpha. Well, I was in Alpha and played until this new beta and there were VERY FEW changes. They fixed a few bugs, added anti-cheat, and thats about it. I don't expect much to change in the next 6 months. They might add the 200 player maps and a few small features and thats it.

Verdict: If you don't mind logging in and literally spending hours walking around a desolate zone with nothing to do except randomly encounter players or zombies, go ahead. Players will argue, "This is a survival game", well, ok.... In this game, you literally go around finding water/food and survive. That's it... Mix in a few player killers and some terrible AI zombies and a 1-hour lockout after you die and BOOM, you got The War Z. 

Score: 3/10

deathshroud

Novice Member

12/05/12 4:15:36 PM#2
 give it a 5/10

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

xenorace

Elite Member

12/07/12 6:16:56 PM#3

I tried it, and within 20 minutes called the support number for the payment processing and asked for my money back.

After playing Dayz the mod for quite awhile and enjoyed every minute of it I desided this would be cool. It looked to be an actual FPS with some zombies in it and might be worth some action packed shootouts. I was wrong. I was killed by hackers 3/5 times I died, in 20 minutes. The spawn locations were way to close and not being able to hear footsteps was just retarded. I was going for the sneaky hiding route and found that was foolish as twice somebody just ran up on me and bashed my head in with a flashlight before I knew they were there.

I understand when a game is in alpha and what not, but IMO, this game doesn't even show promise to me. The reason I enjoyed Dayz was not because it was polished, but because the way it's set up makes me believe it will stand out. Each attempt was exciting, thrilling, intense when you hear a distant gunshot. The War Z just feels flat. I did not feel anything in it.

S.C.I.F.I
<Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

Haruto

Novice Member

You can't spell slaughter, without laughter...

12/07/12 6:21:58 PM#4
Definently sounds like DayZ is the better game. So far I have only heard negative things about The War Z. Looked like it had decent potential too.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

xenorace

Elite Member

12/09/12 8:36:22 PM#5
Do not just take peoples word for it. Although I am not suggesting spending money on this game either. I installed and instantly enjoyed Dayz. I installed and instantly disliked The War Z. IMO The War Z should have been tested for free, at least people would not have been so pissed off for the most part.

S.C.I.F.I
<Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

aRtFuLThinG

Apprentice Member

12/09/12 8:58:47 PM#6
Originally posted by Haruto
Definently sounds like DayZ is the better game. So far I have only heard negative things about The War Z. Looked like it had decent potential too.

Yeah the 1 hour lock out alone probably makes it better to just play DayZ instead.

Amount of hackers will be just as much regardless.

nateslo

Novice Member

12/09/12 9:05:13 PM#7
Originally posted by Raserei

(The Realm being my first)  

Woohoo The Realm! Don't find many others who played it :)