Trending Games | ArcheAge | Pirate101 | Wasteland 2 | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,219 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,245,939
Hammerpoint Interactive | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Horror | Status:Final  (rel 12/17/12)  | Pub:Hammerpoint Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Infestation: Survivor Stories Forum » General Discussion » Full Loot? 24hr lockouts? Permadeath? Oh.

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
109 posts found
  DavisFlight

Elite Member

10/07/12 1:42:31 PM#41
Originally posted by elvenwolf

Well i don't like full loot games... but.. thre is a market for such games and is good they do exist

Yeah, about a million big, DayZ. Bigger than most WoW clones.

FrodoFragins

Advanced Member

10/07/12 2:49:51 PM#42
Originally posted by seniorfrito

Guys we're talking about a post-apocalyptic world where the basic objective is to survive.  The game isn't about collecting "phat lewt".  It's about killing zombies with some friends and surviving.  You will die, probably a lot.  If losing your precious gear sounds too terrible for you, then don't play.  But, in this type of game, it just makes sense.

Killing time in an FPS game with perma death makes perfect sense.  It really doesn't make much sense in an MMO.  Just saying.

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

10/07/12 2:51:57 PM#43

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366739/WOW-Servers-hacked-entire-cities-dying-LOL.html

Now, imagine just for a moment, the howls in a permadeath game...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

coretex666

Advanced Member

"I shall take your position into consideration"

10/07/12 2:59:37 PM#44
Originally posted by GwapoJosh
Originally posted by coretex666

Isnt this an example of that oldschool hardcore people keep shouting for?

Permadeath kind of suits a game of this kind.  Waiting 24 hours seem to be the less favorable option.

What old school MMOs had permadeath?  I don't remember any..

I was referring to the fact that many people tend to complain about new MMOs being too easy and too casual. People often mention that in the past, MMOs were better in this regard. It does not necessarily mean that they had permadeath. It is just something that makes the game harder...

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

bubaluba

Novice Member

10/07/12 3:09:29 PM#45
You don't like easy mode, you don't like hard mode, you don't like ..... Some people never like  anything. SO if you don't like don't play.
  Ridan477

Novice Member

"My names Commander Shepard and this is my favorite site on the internet" - Commander Shepard

10/07/12 5:25:26 PM#46
Originally posted by bubaluba
You don't like easy mode, you don't like hard mode, you don't like ..... Some people never like  anything. SO if you don't like don't play.

I think you have it completely right. People like to bandwagon and complain about everything.

Someone else also said it right, perma death and lockout make sense for this genre and type of game. If there was not a system like that inplace it would be just a left for dead game with a large map.

I may be wrong but I thought I read that they have a sort of bank/locker system  that allows you to stache some of your gear. Sor if you are playing on normal mode and die, once you log back in you can access that gear that you have stached up.  Hardcore you still lose it all.

Scoobin it up on the daily.

Aralvar

Novice Member

10/07/12 10:23:51 PM#47
Originally posted by seniorfrito

Guys we're talking about a post-apocalyptic world where the basic objective is to survive.  The game isn't about collecting "phat lewt".  It's about killing zombies with some friends and surviving.  You will die, probably a lot.  If losing your precious gear sounds too terrible for you, then don't play.  But, in this type of game, it just makes sense.

Oh really? Play DayZ then. I hate it when people are narrow minded about games, like two genres can't mix. Survival and RPG, is that really so scary to you? When you die you lose random items from your inventory (excluding ammo), but keep all equipped items. Maybe you lose xp, if the game has a skills/leveling system. Or we could just do it the generic and lazy way "LOSE EVERYTHING ON DEATH". You'd think this stupid permadeath plague would have it's own audience, and a Zombie Survival RPG would have it's. Instead, the permadeath plague has to infest any Zombie Survival game that exists or will ever exist.

cchow4

Novice Member

10/08/12 10:37:27 AM#48

I think people are just viewing this the wrong way.

Warz isnt suppose to be your traditional mmo. u join servers with w/e u have and you go at the world. it doesnt matter what you lose when u die, u evntually get good enough to gear up quickly upon respawn. Its all about doing better on respawn and the next time around.

Its like in counterstrike. noone complains that u dont keep ur stuff after dieing. same mentality should be applied here imo.

sadeyx

Novice Member

10/08/12 10:41:24 AM#49

You have to keep in mind that "survivor" games like this are more like simulators, than they are like games.

I was actually pretty disapointed to hear there was anything OTHER than permadeath in War Z

TsaboHavoc

Novice Member

10/08/12 10:59:05 AM#50
Stay away from this game dude, ITS NOT FOR YOU,  you already have Wow and lot of other games for careless- easy play -keep ur phat lootz to show ur l33tnees.  U AND THE REST OF THE CAREBEARS FATGEARSATTACHEDRAID! GTFO. ITS A SURVIVAL GAME S U R V I V A L G A ME
  General-Zod

Advanced Member

Kneel.

10/08/12 11:31:18 AM#51
Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
Stay away from this game dude, ITS NOT FOR YOU,  you already have Wow and lot of other games for careless- easy play -keep ur phat lootz to show ur l33tnees.  U AND THE REST OF THE CAREBEARS FATGEARSATTACHEDRAID! GTFO. ITS A SURVIVAL GAME S U R V I V A L G A ME

This. No perma No survival

Yes we are all aware that something can go horribly wrong with internet / hacking / Power-outage ...bascially any imaginable situation thats out of your control that would cause you to lose your stuff... In the end this is what I chose and im prepared to deal with it.. after all its just a game

Instead of just joining any thread that has the word "permadeath" just to state that you dont agree with it... there are 2 very simple options

1. Play hardcore get great loot and risk losing everything.. permadeath

OR

2. Play normal get average loot and dont lose everything.. spend real money on revives

All games cant be the way you want them to be... sorry

SlickShoes

Novice Member

10/08/12 11:37:14 AM#52

Honestly, if you want a Zombie game that does NOT have permadeath then just go to the shops and buy one! There are many available!

Currently the only permadeath Zombie game is DayZ which is currently just a mod that will be turning in to a stand alone product soon. There is also The War Z which will be in alpha soon too, that's 2 games vs LOADS of softcore zombie games currently available.

Without permadeath the whole surivival angle is a giant waste of time.

Aralvar

Novice Member

10/08/12 4:29:03 PM#53
Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

Yeah, using magic and swords isn't the same as a zombie apocalypse you fucktard. The point of an MMORPG isn't just to stock up on "phat lewt", play another MMORPG game from Runescape once in a while. I love it when people prove my point: "OMG YOU AREN'T HARDCORE ENOUGH TO BE PLAYIN' DIS". If it were real survival, you would die one time and that would be it. So please stop with this "its reelistik and stuff lol it so hardcore i are a badass". You are a stupid person, who is narrow minded. Go play DayZ for fuck's sake.

Aralvar

Novice Member

10/08/12 4:33:48 PM#54
Originally posted by SlickShoes

Honestly, if you want a Zombie game that does NOT have permadeath then just go to the shops and buy one! There are many available!

Currently the only permadeath Zombie game is DayZ which is currently just a mod that will be turning in to a stand alone product soon. There is also The War Z which will be in alpha soon too, that's 2 games vs LOADS of softcore zombie games currently available.

Without permadeath the whole surivival angle is a giant waste of time.

You people, you just don't understand. How is permadeath the main ingredient in zombie survival? Because DayZ was built like that? I'm pretty sure I can have a nice survival experience without having to lose my stuff every single time. The reason I say "you people", is because you don't seem to realize that a lot pf people want an open world zombie apocalypse/survival game. OMG LEFT 4 DEAD SHOOTIN' ZOMBIES IS JUST WHAT I NEED. Oh wait, "you people" think permadeath is just the only thing you need. I'm tired of fantasy RPGs. All I wanted was a game where I could build a character while having a similar survival aspect in a Zombie Post Apocalyptic world. But instead we either get linear zombie games, or hardcore macho permadeath zombie games. Ever heard of a middle option? Everyone just wants to copy DayZ now.

ElGuappo

Novice Member

OP  10/09/12 4:08:21 AM#55

Ok, you start the game. You create a normal mode character. You play for a while, build the character up a bit, get some decent weapons and kit and all that jazz and have a fine old time. Then you get killed. There's no corpse run like WoW or even UO where you would race back to your corpse before it got looted. You die so that means you lie down for a rest, probably get looted and don't get to play for a day. Currently the cooldown on respawn is 24hours. In my opinion, 10 minutes is pushing it but that's just the CareBear side of me, I guess.

So, a nice fat penalty for dying. Well, that teach me to be a bit more thoughtful and 'suvivalist' about my gameplay. Maybe I can spend some of that 24hr lockout pondering what went wrong... what mistakes I made... where my killer came from. That's what the lockout's for, yeah? Teach you to survive, dammit! Alternately I can go to the shop and buy the in no way unrealistic magic instant respawn potion, as long as I pay for it. Lockout makes a bit more sense now, eh?

Alternately...

You start the game on hardcore. You do whatever the hell you want because there are no consequences. Death is permanent so how much time is the average player going to invest in a character they can completely lose at the drop of the hat? Especially when you consider that when you do die, you get to create another character straight away and start again.

As far as I can see it, normal mode encourages you to spend money for the privilege of basically being penalised for taking the game seriously, hardcore mode encourages you to play like it's Call of Duty.

The ruptured capillaries in your nose belie the clarity of your wisdom.

Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

I got so much trouble on my mind Refuse to lose.

10/09/12 4:28:06 AM#56

So , I wanted to play MMO about survival in apocalyptic zombie world.

But I wanted the gameplay to be like WOW.

Derros

Advanced Member

10/09/12 4:31:00 AM#57
Ok a permadeath mode with increased/better drops as a trade-off I can understand.  But does a developer ever really want to force people NOT to play their game?  I mean targeting a niche audience is fine and all, but this just seems so far beyond niche.
  Yamota

Advanced Member

"I fight so you don't have to."

10/09/12 4:33:00 AM#58

I like FFA PvP but never understood the point of full loot and now a 24 hour lockout? Sorry, I play games to have fun not to be like work.

Why can't there be a happy medium between pointless deaths in ThemeParks and this overkill type of death penalties?

simmihi

Apprentice Member

10/09/12 4:51:37 AM#59
Oh, 24h lockout, really cool idea probably if you play games for a living. For the people who struggle to set up one-two evenings per week away from family, for gaming, not so fun. Doubt they'll have many takers.
  Krashner

Novice Member

10/09/12 4:53:53 AM#60
Originally posted by Yamota

I like FFA PvP but never understood the point of full loot and now a 24 hour lockout? Sorry, I play games to have fun not to be like work.

Why can't there be a happy medium between pointless deaths in ThemeParks and this overkill type of death penalties?

I think one of the issues they're trying to avoid with the lockout is preventing it from being turned into a giant deathmatch game. I think the 24 hour is too harsh though, an hour or two I wouldn't mind so much. A better solution would be a server lockout for X amount of time. That way I can still play my character, but I'm "dead" in that world...temporarily. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the lockout only affect normal mode characters, so no matter how many times a hardcore character dies the player can just keep remaking their character and griefing the server?

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search