Trending Games | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,347 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,246,831
DayZ (DZ)
Dean "Rocket" Hall | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Horror | Status:Beta Testing  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Dean "Rocket" Hall
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

DayZ Forum » General Discussion » DayZ Standalone: Last Hope for MMORPG Gaming

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
27 posts found
  ProGee

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 7:06:48 PM#21
I don't quite understand your "last hope" thesis to be honest. Mainly for two reasons. Firstly, there are a TON of MMOlike games being developed and released as we speak, Defiance and Firefall just to name two rather large titles. Secondly, I kinda enjoy what you refer to as grind. Not grinding daily quests or Hunt Rifts in Rift. That s--t is dull as hell but gearing up a character, progressing through raids and dungeons is a nice task. At first challenging getting 20 people to nail down tactics and later on a relaxing nice way to just have fun with other people that you get to know. 
  FoeHammerJT

Novice Member

Knowledge is the enemy of faith.

4/22/13 7:15:12 PM#22
Originally posted by BigHatLogan
Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by BigHatLogan
Why is it that MMORPGs always require a boring grind? 

Maybe because of the Rpg part?

Since when does RPG have to mean boring grind!!!!  Progression is the root of all evil in MMORPGs.  RPG means role playing game, as in taking the role of a fantasy character to affecting a virtual world.  There is no reason for countless kill 10 wolf quests to add artifical stats to a character.  It is pure carrot, and nothing more than a thinly disguised form of behavioral conditioning to keep people paying a sub fee.  Take the red pill and see the MMORPG world for what it truly has become!

To OP: Progression does not stop anyone from playing a role or exploring content.

Most RPG gamers have enjoyed advancement, becoming more powerful and tackling tougher challenges as a key to their enjoyment of a game. This is part of what makes a game, a game.

Take away the levels, the gear, and the advancement and you are left with Facebook. In a pretty world or with a bunch of zombies, but mostly its a 3D social experiment. (And the Day Z experiment doesnt say much for mankind as a social experiment...since the majority of its players' attitude is shoot first, then loot, then taunt. Also, Day Z certainly has gear advancement. Its critical. I like and play Day Z but aquiring gear and building a "base of operations" are fundamental to success at the game.

Removal of all grind leaves a social enviornment. Which can be great, but I prefer my RPGs and MMORPGs with a bit more depth. Some of us enjoy the sense of acheivement and progress. 

Arglebargle

Elite Member

4/22/13 7:44:42 PM#23

Day Z's popularity is one of the best arguments for  open, sandbox play that I've seen recently.  

However, the ModBeta of it invited a certain type of play because it didn't model much cooperative advantage.  No way to combine together, build a fort,  secure a stockpile, etc.   Without that avenue, you ended up with a lot of kill or be killed behavior.

Still, for me, a lot of aspects of the game would normally be anathema, but instead I am looking forward to the release. 

And good luck to Hall on his ascent.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Arglebargle

Elite Member

4/22/13 7:46:46 PM#24

Oh, progression is patently obvious to anyone who's ever studied or worked on developing a skill.   You practice...you get better.

Unless, in the game you are playing, you are playing just yourself.  In which case the character only gets better as you master the interface and the design.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Jinxys

Hard Core Member

4/22/13 7:49:48 PM#25
Originally posted by lizardbones

The guy writing the DayZ stand alone is taking two months off to climb Mount Everest.

I hope he will be okay. A lot of climbers have lost their lives on that god forsaken mountain  :(

Maniox

Novice Member

no u

5/15/13 8:01:13 AM#26
Originally posted by Arglebargle

Day Z's popularity is one of the best arguments for  open, sandbox play that I've seen recently.  

Yeah, also look at minecraft, and the upcoming "The stomping lands".

Open sandbox multiplayer games isn't an usual genre, but it's definetely one of the best, there is a reason on-rails questing mmos are dying out, while open sandbox games are growing.

no i

lizardbones

Elite Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

5/15/13 9:55:31 AM#27

Originally posted by Maniox

Originally posted by Arglebargle Day Z's popularity is one of the best arguments for  open, sandbox play that I've seen recently.  
Yeah, also look at minecraft, and the upcoming "The stomping lands".

Open sandbox multiplayer games isn't an usual genre, but it's definetely one of the best, there is a reason on-rails questing mmos are dying out, while open sandbox games are growing.

Open sandbox games are growing, but open sandbox MMOs are not. The most you can say are that sandbox/theme park hybrids are starting. The most you might be able to say is that developers have latched on to the word "sandbox" and are using it more.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search