Trending Games | WildStar | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,637,366 Users Online:0
Games:678  Posts:6,072,652
DayZ (DZ)
Dean "Rocket" Hall | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Horror | Status:Beta Testing  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Dean "Rocket" Hall
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

DayZ Forum » General Discussion » The Truth about DayZ needs to be told

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
54 posts found
  Kathzalh

Apprentice Member

2/22/13 5:07:28 PM#41
Originally posted by Dobeyxxl

I cant find a 454 U.S. East server listed on DayZ commander? I did happen to find more then one thread about admin abuse concerning 454 U.S. East server in DayZ official forums, lol

Never had any official complaints about my admins.

Arma was dead before DayZ

"Bohemia Interactive’s ARMA II is arguably the most amazing comeback story of 2012. The game originally launched in May 2009. The military simulator had a soft debut, maintained relatively flat activity numbers, and did not attract many headlines for years after release."

One week after DayZ’s release, ARMA II’s daily active users increased by 36%. 

One month, DayZ had boosted ARMA II’s DAUs by 847%

During the first week of DayZ ARMA II saw 106% more new users per day, and in a month, that figure jumped to 1343%.

The average user was playing 50% more than before DayZ’s debut after 1 month

DayZ is Arma!

These numbers have only grown and now DayZ is responsible for over a 500% increase in Arma sales, people buy Arma for DayZ and not the other way around.

The time has come for people to understand DayZ has been left to rot , that the community thinks it was a experiment in their own words and to bad if its hacked to crap, that in your view we shouldn't even be here and expect something that is kept up and without massive hacking, lol

That was basically why I felt compelled to even make this thread in the first place.

If I made a product - say organic potatoes - and someone else came along and used my potatoes to make moonshine - which in turn made my sales go up - would it be my resposibility when they got drunk?..

Just because a mod makes their sale goes up - they are in no way - legally or morally (unless your a very hardcore utilitarian) obligated to make that mod work as it wasnt how they intended their product to be used. Maybe from a buiness standpoint it would make sense to fix it if they wanna keep their sales high - but if they cant or wont - we cant really complain about their lack of service. Its fun to get drunk, but dont complain about the hangovers, I just supplied the potatoes :p

Makidian

Advanced Member

3/20/13 9:37:59 AM#42
Can you just get a private server or can hacks still get in and server nuke you ?
  Purutzil

Elite Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

3/20/13 9:44:17 AM#43

The standalone I'm sure might find ways to stop it, but unfortunately when it comes to the PC its extremely easy in shooters to hack it. Hacks will come out with Aimbot the day of release utilizing code in other FPS games within the new game. Its unfortunately part of the reason FPS games have dimmed in popularity on the PC when it comes to more competative play. 

Its not just DayZ at all, there needs to be a change in how gaming works on PC to prevent hackers from ruining the integrity of games. FPS games just happen to be such an easy target due to their simplicity, but its a real problem all over. While I'm one for not sacrificing our ability to freely modify and use our PCs anyway we want, there just needs to be a way to prevent hacking or at the very least mitigate the threat.

Jakdstripper

Advanced Member

3/20/13 9:53:03 AM#44

personaly i stopped playing DayZ for pretty much that reason. i would spend hours sneaking, and collecting, and generally having fun until some douche would teleport me across the map where he and 3 of his buddies in full riot gear would tea bag me to death....

it's incredibly sad how a bunch of moronic low lifes can do so much harm to one of the best true horror games that's come out in the last 10 years.

However i do not hold Rocket resposible for any of this as DayZ was made as a Mod not a standalone game.It was just a fun afterthought, that just happened to be INCREDIBLY fun.

i do hope that they make an actual DayZ stand alone game with proper servers, serious anti cheat code, and paid admins that can ban hackers and return your stuff, because the gaming world needs more awesome games like DayZ.

SlickShoes

Novice Member

3/20/13 10:00:48 AM#45
Originally posted by KrAv3

To the OP:

For the scripts to be put to a stop, DayZ mod would no longer function - READ: DEAD IN THE WATER, NO WORKY WORKY.  The scripting it does is how it runs in the first place.  Your client machine injects scripts in to the server machine to, for example, tell it to spawn zeds in Balota..This is how ArmA II works.

Do you research what you cry about before crying about it?  All of the script cheating will be fixed in the SA as the server will not function that way, it will be running a true MMO architecture for everything where the server tells the client what is what and you can't nuke this town, not allowed, UNLIKE the FREE mod where the clients machine says "Hey server, nuke Zelenegorsk for me.", Server, "Okay, you got it chief!!"., wallhacks and aimbots may pop up in the SA but those are easier to defeat than something that works on how the architecture of the game is designed, READ:  SCRIPTS being injected from the CLIENT's machine to tell the server what to do.

The SA was, originally (the one that was supposed to be released before 2013), going to be the mod just more modded to run without ArmA II OA, but the scripting would have still be there, hence the delay and the total rework of the game, it is not running on ArmA engine anymore, but a totally new engine the DayZ team/BI built specifically for the Stand Alone.

Dayz FREE Mod can't be changed to stop the scripting, hence why gotcha anti cheat and the like were created by outside parties.

Rocket is no longer working on the mod, hasn't been since around Octoberish, it was passed on to the community, mainly led by RaZor I believe his forum name is.

This pretty much says everything I wanted to say. To "fix" the hacking in the mod would mean shutting the mod down.

The DayZ stand alone game that you will have to pay money for and will not be free won't be built in the same way at all so scripting just won't work at all. Speedhack and Wallhack will probably exist(because they do in almost every game) but should be a lot easier to control and monitor.

Celusios

Novice Member

3/25/13 2:40:20 AM#46
The sad thing is I am pretty sure DayZ will continue the trend of the ability to inject scripts. Arma 3 still has that capability and I constantly see little kids hacking with godmode and etc. I don't know why this company has such a hard time removing this ability to inject scripts like this.
  tristanryan

Apprentice Member

3/29/13 3:46:26 AM#47

If the hacking could be controlled, this game provides an experience unlike anything you have ever played.

Almost comparable to a drug or something. You happen upon another survivor(s) and its just an amazing, intense, adrenaline fueled feeling ive never seen any game reproduce.

The hacking ruins it though. A whitelisted server helps this quite a bit, but then you have the issue of corrupt administrators.

If Rocket is successful in the standalone and if he can recreate this game while minimizing the cheating, and keeping the massive scope (essential) this could become one of the most engrossing, immersive games ever created. He will be a very, very, very, very, very, very rich man.

PanteraRosa

Novice Member

3/29/13 9:50:38 AM#48
go take a walk in the park...
  barasawa

Advanced Member

I have a wandering mind, but that's ok, it brings back presents.

3/29/13 9:56:55 AM#49

But thinking along I.T lines could you do a MAC address ban, And have a server backup?

There have been software tools available for years to spoof Macs or make virtual ones. 

I used one back in the 90s to test some network stuff at work, and what I used was freeware stuff.

If someone knows enough to spoof their IP, you can bet they can spoof their Mac.

As to the backup, that's a good idea, though I don't know how much it will help that game when someone screws around with the server, but it's better than nothing.

To be a bit of a pain, don't forget the first 3 rules of computing.

1 - Backup

2 - Backup

3 - See rules 1 & 2

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

Mystais

Novice Member

N/A

3/29/13 10:09:05 AM#50
Well after watching the DAYZ Pax videos, if they keep to their plan of only having the client send keystrokes with the server verifying every action before implementing it...   that's pretty darn hacker rsistant.  Your pc will pretty much just be a dumb terminal with graphics assets, not having any info at all until it is given by the server to your client when it is needed and only the info that is needed.  So unless the hacker can hack the server, he'll have no client side info to hack.

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

Eladi

Hard Core Member

3/29/13 10:15:51 AM#51

Funny, you are complaining about a MOD and not the new game (this forum part is about the game, not the mod)

you are saying that hackers hacked Arma2 and are now using those hacks to mess whit youre mod server that you rent (the server)  you are NOT paying to host the DayZ mod you are paying for plain old server space.  the dayz mod cost NOTHING. its a mod its even ilegal to ask money for it. all they can do is ask for donations and rent out pre-setup servers for fans.

taus01

Elite Member

3/29/13 11:59:08 AM#52
Originally posted by KrAv3

To the OP:

For the scripts to be put to a stop, DayZ mod would no longer function - READ: DEAD IN THE WATER, NO WORKY WORKY.  The scripting it does is how it runs in the first place.  Your client machine injects scripts in to the server machine to, for example, tell it to spawn zeds in Balota..This is how ArmA II works.

Do you research what you cry about before crying about it?  All of the script cheating will be fixed in the SA as the server will not function that way, it will be running a true MMO architecture for everything where the server tells the client what is what and you can't nuke this town, not allowed, UNLIKE the FREE mod where the clients machine says "Hey server, nuke Zelenegorsk for me.", Server, "Okay, you got it chief!!"., wallhacks and aimbots may pop up in the SA but those are easier to defeat than something that works on how the architecture of the game is designed, READ:  SCRIPTS being injected from the CLIENT's machine to tell the server what to do.

The SA was, originally (the one that was supposed to be released before 2013), going to be the mod just more modded to run without ArmA II OA, but the scripting would have still be there, hence the delay and the total rework of the game, it is not running on ArmA engine anymore, but a totally new engine the DayZ team/BI built specifically for the Stand Alone.

Dayz FREE Mod can't be changed to stop the scripting, hence why gotcha anti cheat and the like were created by outside parties.

Rocket is no longer working on the mod, hasn't been since around Octoberish, it was passed on to the community, mainly led by RaZor I believe his forum name is.

You mean like they did with Arma 3, oh wait it's still the same shitty architecture with a new fancy dress.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

observer

Novice Member

First came pride, then envy.

3/31/13 7:02:01 PM#53
This is the main problem with DayZ.  The development team doesn't have server control.  It's just a loose coalition of admins bound to nothing.  If they want to move beyond the client/server architecture of the FPS genre, they will need to have full control of their own servers.
  Arclan

Spotlight Poster

Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute.

4/05/13 2:06:34 PM#54

Thank you O.P. for saving me the time and $ I was about to spend to get into this game. Cuz on the Pub forum here, someone mentioned it. And the concept sounds great, and gameplay videos look fun.

Will wait for the standalone. Sounds like a blast and, if what someone mentioned above is true, will be much more resistant to hacking.

Hacking is a death sentence to PvP games. Planetside 2 is probably 10% of its potential right now because so many players, like me, refuse to even download the game due to hacker problems.

I'm not going to a party full of clowns (F2P), then offer to buy them all drinks. -GregorMcgregor

Playing: XCom, Rome Total War, Master of Orion II, Majesty 2, and HOMM I.
Played: Everquest, Planetside, Vanguard, Pirates of the Burning Sea, EVE, UO.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search