Second Life Player Interviews and Reviews (Page 2 of 2)
Next, I asked my new friends to rate the game using the same 1-10 category system that our writers here at MMORPG.com use for reviews.
- Troy: 7
- Alexis: In terms of the aesthetics, the graphics are about 5 I guess. But that's not a fair question in the sense that the nature of SL is VERY demanding in terms of engine design. SL has it harder I suppose you could say. But it's definitely far from the prettiest world out there.
- Ursula: 8
- Troy: 8
- Alexis: There isn't much in SL which exists out of the box, everything is user added. So the sound *engine* does its job just fine.
- Everything else is up to the user. So I'd say it's 9 or so for what it tries to do.
- Ursula: Can’t rate since I play it with no sound... but I am aware that it works with streamlines.
- Troy: [Abstained from voting on this category] n/a
- Alexis: Role-playing is 10 for sure. You can be absolutely anything, do absolutely anything. You have a lot of very diverse *communities* built up around all sorts of different things (furries, the jedi types, fantasy, etc.) That's the big advantage of user created content I guess.
- Ursula: 5. People don’t play roles in here... they play mostly themselves.
- Troy: 10
- Alexis: Well, if you don't own land, it's *free* now, so that's 10. If you own land, you have to pay. But you can actually make money in this game. So I'd say it's well worth every penny, depending on how much you take advantage: So I say "10".
- Ursula: oh well, I’m playing the free version, but I know from my trial time that eventually one longs for having a home of his own... The difference of making a home or not is significant money-wise. [I give it ] a 4.
- Troy: 10 depends on one's personality, it's not for people who like being told what to do.
- Alexis: Again, it's sort of what you make of it. I'd say it's very exciting from a tourism point of view in the beginning, but then you have to drive everything yourself. So "7", but [it’s] variable per person.
- Ursula: it’s pretty fun, although sometimes the crashing with loaded objects is frustrating. I’ll give it a 7.
- Troy: 10 that's where SL excels, you name it, there's a group.
- Alexis: The community is the heart and soul of SL. It *IS* the community. very many incredibly talented devs in here. So 10 for sure.
- Ursula: [This question was skipped]
Performance and Lag
- Troy: 5
- Alexis: Awful. On a non-loaded sim, it's very good. On a loaded sim, everything goes [bad]. :) I rate it at "3".
- Ursula: The performance for now is a bit poor, lag and all makes the avatar hard to control. 4.
- Troy: 10
- Alexis: I don't really know. The Lindens themselves have a very close relationship with those who try to develop things in SL. I don't know about simple user problem, never having tried it myself. May I pass on that?
- Ursula: Good, [I] had problems when in the trial and got in game help right away. A 9
Overall Score: 7.8
As you can see, there are varying opinions of the game, even from its own players. The only thing that I can say for certain, is that when I’m tired of playing my standard MMORPGs, I will be heading back to my Second Life to relax and meet some more new and interesting people.
Thanks to Troy, Alexis and Ursula for taking the time.
Any comments? Post them here.