Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,727 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,225,884
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

9 posts found
  page975

Apprentice Member

OP  7/07/13 6:04:34 AM#1

Please tell me what you think of the mega server.

I'm forever searching for an old school community, Darkfall is the only old school mmo I know of right now that did not go F2P.

This is not about Darkfall,  but old school community and people getting togeather  playing and seeing each other around and REALLY doing stuff.

Ramanadjinn

Hard Core Member

7/07/13 6:17:55 AM#2

there are several "old school communit[ies]" that have not gone away or free to play.

http://www.realmserver.com/index.php

The Realm Online was one of my favorite MMOs long ago and they are still charging.  Compared to that Darkfall isn't really very old school.

As far as the mega server goes, it doesn't look like anything that I havne't been seeing for many years.  We can't all be in the same game world so we aren't.  Whether they call it instances when we are on a different server or completely separate servers the effect is the same in my eyes.  If I end up not liking the game though, i'm almost certain it will be for reasons not pertaining to the server!

Quazal.A

Advanced Member

7/07/13 6:20:46 AM#3

Sorry but dont understand wtf your saying the first post.

Are you looking for single shard games, or or is this something particular to ESO

If its any MMO on single server, there are a few (not many granted) but a few

if its ESO then ignore ma post lol :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game :) were of course your welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

Bigmamajama

Apprentice Member

7/07/13 9:19:01 AM#4
Originally posted by w407309

Are you looking for single shard games, or or is this something particular to ESO

How can you not understand his post, its crystal clear.  DF is a 99.9 percent non instanced gameworld where all players interact in the same space.  No phasing no zoning.  You see the same people over and over in this game.  There is no escaping or hiding from people by jumping into an instance, or going to another channel.

Most newer gamers don't see the value in this because they have grown up playing console and lobby MMO's in fracture communities..  So allot of old school gamers play games like Darkfall simply because the community is one.  Its not fractured across servers, instances, phases etc.

Kuanshu

Novice Member

7/07/13 11:47:15 AM#5
Originally posted by Bigmamajama
Originally posted by w407309

How can you not understand his post, its crystal clear.  DF is a 99.9 percent non instanced gameworld where all players interact in the same space.  No phasing no zoning.  You see the same people over and over in this game.  There is no escaping or hiding from people by jumping into an instance, or going to another channel.

Most newer gamers don't see the value in this because they have grown up playing console and lobby MMO's in fracture communities..  So allot of old school gamers play games like Darkfall simply because the community is one.  Its not fractured across servers, instances, phases etc.

Megaserver implies something totally different then what ya'll are thinking here...it has nothing to do with instancing or non instanced at all. Its how the servers operate as one big megaserver.

Ya I have witnessed the Darkfall Community and if you call that a community, YOU CAN HAVE IT. All of the true MMORPG fans have been wanting a real community for a looooooong time, yet I haven't felt it for a loooooooong time. Also, the old school gamers your referrring to that play Darkfall are primarily PvP centric players as I played against and alongside many of them back in the day as Darkfall would be their wet dream manifested and glorified....guess I want more as Darkfall didn't leave a very lasting impression on me as its lacking in so many ways.

Glad there are alot of different MMORPGs in development and to be released within a years time...somethings gotta be good with those numbers.

page975

Apprentice Member

OP  7/07/13 1:03:51 PM#6
How will the mega server work ?
  Kuanshu

Novice Member

7/07/13 1:45:10 PM#7

These forums are really active and these 2 links reveal alot about Megaserver

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/true-megaserver/

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/how-will-the-megaserver-works-with-pvp/

This video explains Megaserver as well as other misconceptions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f1dqCjnATWg

baphamet

Hard Core Member

7/07/13 3:43:10 PM#8

Originally posted by Bigmamajama

Originally posted by w407309 Sorry but dont understand wtf your saying the first post. Are you looking for single shard games, or or is this something particular to ESO If its any MMO on single server, there are a few (not many granted) but a few if its ESO then ignore ma post lol :)

you mean i have to play a crap mmo like darkfall in order to get an old skool community?

Iselin

The Listener

7/07/13 5:08:20 PM#9

The megaserver here is a PvE thing. Imagine games you know that have separate servers and have cross-server, LFG or "come play in my server for a while" features (e.g. WOW) get rid of the barriers and make it so that it applies all the time to the whole world (with one exception...see below) and what you have is the ESO megaserver.

The one exception is the war in Cyrodiil. There you are locked into something they call a "campaign" that acts exactly like a server does in other games. Your character can only be in one campaign and is always in the same one. That's where you get your community.

If you want some real info just look over at the Tamriel Foundry Development FAQ