Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,858,695 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,243,911
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Not convinced this is going to be a good game

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
74 posts found
  Mtibbs1989

Elite Member

7/05/13 2:27:48 PM#41
Originally posted by bcbully
Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
Originally posted by azzamasin

I just get this feeling every day that goes by this game will be "just another" MMO in a long line of "just another" MMO's.  I am really starting to get this whole SWTOR vibe with everything that is going on. 

The dev's have repeatedly commented on making it an Elder Scrolls game first and foremost but yet none of the truly TES style game design elements have been showcased. 

It doesn't look like "just another mmo" Character customization looks like it might be good. Cyrodill is the key. If it's great the game might be pretty good. 

We'll see.

I've never known a player to stick around because of character customization alone.  And the PvP is only good for one type of gamer, sadly I am not that type.  What is missing is elements that made me play Asheron's Call for close to 14 years. 

I've played Rift, GW2, TSW and now Neverwinter since I quit WoW and even though all of the games have fun aspects, none of them has the depth that made me want to stick around past a few months.  Sadly I do not see anything in TESO that will break the mold.  Hopefully EQNext brings elements into the genre that stick around but more importantly keep the players sticking around.

I like many of the elements of TESO, including the Skill tree system, the open ended armor/weapon system, public dungeons, Action Combat and limited hotbar deck building system but sadly I do not see that keeping me in game for longer then when the novelty wears off.  If you're into PvP, sure the game looks great and I am probably going to have to get my PvP grove back on if I want to enjoy TESO for longer then 2-3 months.

yeah I know but.... We 're on the same page.

Cyrodill has to break the mold. 

Cross our fingers it doesn't end up like Guild Wars 2 WvW.

or Ilum.... It can't feel like and "Eternal Battle Ground."

It has to be a complete world. it has to be more than we expect. 

If it actually done properly and plays similar to WAR. I might check out the game. But if I even see the game having no incentive for the world vs. world then I won't even bother with playing the game. What's the point of taking over a fort if it's only to flip flop zones. Give us a sense of victory on controlling a realm like how they did it in WAR. At least they got the basic conquering concepts right. They just didn't have a quality development team.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Mtibbs1989

Elite Member

7/05/13 2:28:57 PM#42
Originally posted by Sovrath

The dev's have repeatedly commented on making it an Elder Scrolls game first and foremost but yet none of the truly TES style game design elements have been showcased. 

That's probably because the whole "elder scrolls game first" mantra is a recent development.

If you look at what they initially said it was more about creating an mmo that utilized the elder scrolls universe and would draw in mmo players.

yadda, yadda, yadda, my guess is that they got a lot of elder scrolls fans in the beta who really didnt' like this tack.

The developers suddenly realized that in essence they were playing with fire so decided to extend the development time and add a lot of those elements.

At least those that would make sense in an mmo format.

Oh definitely I remember when they first unveiled the game and footage was leaked. Major tab targeting 3rd person let down.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Ziegler

Advanced Member

7/05/13 2:32:13 PM#43
Originally posted by Kuanshu

Why even bother to post on this forum if your not interested in buying this game whatsoever?

I think this game is going to be almost as big of a wreck as SWTOR was. Maybe even bigger.

Kuanshu...your post is full of assumptions that nobody knows for sure yet. Dont ever make the mistake of believing anything a "developer" says or a game reviewer either for that matter.

I hope it turns out great, but we already know, the combat is different, it wasnt designed with first person view, but instead a OTS camera, hotbars, and tab targetting. That....is not an Elder Scrolls game as most people perceive them.

But people are thinking this game is going to be Skyrim 2.0 ....exactly the way that people just knew that SWTOR was going to be KOTOR 3,4,5,6....partially because ...a developer said as much in an interview.

The parts of ES games that make them so unique and fun... will definately be lost in a large playerbase game translation.

AlBQuirky

Spotlight Poster

Tomorrow's just a future yesterday...

7/05/13 2:42:14 PM#44

Originally posted by Comaf
ESO:  3 realms that are uniquely different.  This means that you actually pvp against races and classes that are not mirrors of your own.

Wrong answer. Every faction has the EXACT same 4 classes to choose from.

Compared the "the usual" MMO fare these days, TES:O looks to be quite different in some aspects.

Compared to TES, this game falls very short in many aspects of the original series, even Skyrim.

I had to laugh at the poster who said "It has M'aiq The Liar!" As if he is the heart and soul of TES. I play Morrowind and Skyrim just to see M'aiq! I always search high and lo to find him and get his quests. Oh wait... he doesn't DO anything but quip about player complaints. If that qualifies as a standard of the Elder Scrolls universe, I am certainly missing out on something here.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

baphamet

Hard Core Member

7/05/13 2:55:23 PM#45

i think it will be a good game, will it be a good mmo? that is the question.

i do think it will be sort of like SWTOR and feel more like a single player game with mmo elements.

actually, i am quite confident that is exactly how it will be. they can still do things better than SWTOR did of course, the pvp sounds far better IMO, for example.

also, they are designing the game to allow hundreds of players on the screen at one time so it sounds like TESO will be better in that regard as well.

this is really the only themepark style game i am looking forward to right now, the rest are pretty shitty or not my taste.

Sovrath

Elite Member

7/05/13 2:55:29 PM#46

That's probably because the whole "elder scrolls game first" mantra is a recent development.

If you look at what they initially said it was more about creating an mmo that utilized the elder scrolls universe and would draw in mmo players.

yadda, yadda, yadda, my guess is that they got a lot of elder scrolls fans in the beta who really didnt' like this tack.

The developers suddenly realized that in essence they were playing with fire so decided to extend the development time and add a lot of those elements.

Oh definitely I remember when they first unveiled the game and footage was leaked. Major tab targeting 3rd person let down.

whoa, whoa, whoa...

that footage is very much taken out of context however, there are some things that people need to realize.

This game is like gw2 in that you don't have to tab target as you automatically "tab target" what you are facing.

This doesn't mean that you arent' going to hit what's in front of you but for the most part, unless they do a complete remake (I doubt it) it's not going to be somethng like Tera.

Anybody who thinks that leaked footage was a good depiction of the game is really just buying into "anti-hype".

That player didn't use his ability, didn't block, didn't do anything but use the main attack. And yet players (no surprise here) buy into the first thing they see. It's like those players who come to a site and ask if a game is good and 3 people respond first and say "yes" or "no" and the op just allows them to sway his decision, no reasons or anything. Just that 3 people  said something so it must be true.

This is not to say the game is going to be great but that leaked footage was just footage of someone dicking around.

Now, if you didnt' like that he accepted a quest and that quest was similiar to Oblivion or skyrim when talking to an npc then nothing can be done about that. That's the game.

This is not a sandbox game and depending on what they do with added dungeons we will see if it's closer to an elder scrolls game where you head out and discover adventure or just head out and find quest givers.

Big difference there.

Kuanshu

Novice Member

7/05/13 2:55:41 PM#47
Originally posted by Ziegler

Why even bother to post on this forum if your not interested in buying this game whatsoever?

I think this game is going to be almost as big of a wreck as SWTOR was. Maybe even bigger.

Kuanshu...your post is full of assumptions that nobody knows for sure yet. Dont ever make the mistake of believing anything a "developer" says or a game reviewer either for that matter.

I hope it turns out great, but we already know, the combat is different, it wasnt designed with first person view, but instead a OTS camera, hotbars, and tab targetting. That....is not an Elder Scrolls game as most people perceive them.

But people are thinking this game is going to be Skyrim 2.0 ....exactly the way that people just knew that SWTOR was going to be KOTOR 3,4,5,6....partially because ...a developer said as much in an interview.

The parts of ES games that make them so unique and fun... will definately be lost in a large playerbase game translation.

So you rmaking assumptions out of my assumptions....isn't that a peach, LOL

Its been stated first and third person views will be a part of the game as will real time combat much like it is currently in Skyrim.

Glad im not a sci fi fantasy fan as I didn't play SWTOR. SOE sure had alot of hype for that game.

One mistake I don't make that I see all too often is posting on forums for a game I say I have no interest in buying or playing whatsoever. Can ya'll take a moment and consider what I just said. It makes absolutely no sense to come here with a bunch of negativity, being critical, skeptical, etc... if your not vested in any way whatsoever in how the game turns out as you have already made up your mind and repeatedly communicate how  your not interested in buying or playing the game.

sumdumguy1

Hard Core Member

7/05/13 3:00:55 PM#48
With the debacle of some of the games to come out in the last few years and many of our expectations failing to be met, a wait and see approach is a good approach.  However, I am not going to criticize or make assumptions until I see and play a game for myself.  I have learned being cautiously optimistic is a better approach for me.  This also allows to be pleasantly surprised by some games, Path of the Exile is an example for me.   
  azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

OP  7/05/13 3:03:53 PM#49
Originally posted by Brabbit1987

Everyone keeps saying they will lose interest after 2 - 3 months. However, if I remember correctly, it takes over 200 hours to complete all the quests in a single faction, and then you can do quests for the other factions after level 40 I think. 

Now assuming you played 5 days a week you would need to play and only quest each of those days about 3 1/2 hours to complete with in 3 months. For a lot of you, I will most certainly say that is possible and probably fairly easy to achieve. 

If we start talking about completing the other 2 factions, then you are looking at having to quest 10 1/2 hours each day, 5 days a week. Or you can spread that out to a 9 month period and keep the 3 1/2 hours instead.

With this said, unless you get bored easily, I conclude if you some how exhaust everything in this game with in 3 months, you play to much lol.

In all honesty, if it is even remotely anything like Syyrim, I will enjoy it tons. I will probably even do a Let's Play of it.

That 200 hours is for people who suck at games.  I would not be surprised for someone like me this humber would fall down to 120 to 140 hours.  (the average WoW leveling spped to reach cap)  That means by my guesstimate, within 3 months I'll have hit the cap, done another factions zone or 2 and gotten bored of what little there is to accomplish past the norm.  2-3 months, the newness wears off and the only thing to keep you playing is the systems in place to support longevity and TESO has none of those.

Its basically another MMO with a twist.  That twist like GW2's Twist, like Rift's Twist and like SWTOR's twist is not good enough or in-depth enough to keep retention of their base, let alone grow it.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Salahudin

Novice Member

7/05/13 3:08:48 PM#50
I`m looking forward to the twisting, can`t wait to play this game. Going to enjoy it thoroughly,  whether its two months or two years.. its going to be good and its going to be fun
  azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

OP  7/05/13 3:10:26 PM#51
Originally posted by Ziegler

So you rmaking assumptions out of my assumptions....isn't that a peach, LOL

Its been stated first and third person views will be a part of the game as will real time combat much like it is currently in Skyrim.

Glad im not a sci fi fantasy fan as I didn't play SWTOR. SOE sure had alot of hype for that game.

One mistake I don't make that I see all too often is posting on forums for a game I say I have no interest in buying or playing whatsoever. Can ya'll take a moment and consider what I just said. It makes absolutely no sense to come here with a bunch of negativity, being critical, skeptical, etc... if your not vested in any way whatsoever in how the game turns out as you have already made up your mind and repeatedly communicate how  your not interested in buying or playing the game.

Well my hopes is that enough negativity gets passed up the chain to the eyes and ears of the developers that they are forced to capitulate to growing negativity toward their game and change it for the better.  It worked for the First Person lovers, it worked for the Faction lock haters so why wont it work for the endgame enthusiasts?

That is my ultimate goal, to get the game turned into something that will keep me playing for longer then a few months and PvP is not the way to do it.  No matter how good it is.  While I applaud the developers for implementing the best PvP system in the game, the point remains, PvP is a niche in the genre and in order to build upon a lasting legacy strong social PvE elements need to be instilled.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Rusque

Elite Member

7/05/13 3:14:19 PM#52

No one is convinced any game is a good game before it's out. Even those who think they've convinced themselves still have to undergo the stages of mmo enjoyment.

IridescentOrk

Novice Member

7/05/13 3:26:33 PM#53
If end game is PvP in Cyrodiil, ESO will be trashed faster than Warhammer. The game better has lots of PvE content, which is the reason I think the game was delayed. Devs must have realized the PvE was not enough. That's why they are letting players to access provinces from other factions. At least they had time to change some "red flags" before release. Then the consoles news, and this may not end up well. I hope Bethesda is working already with TES VI.

gameplay > graphics

Mtibbs1989

Elite Member

7/05/13 3:36:03 PM#54

whoa, whoa, whoa...

that footage is very much taken out of context however, there are some things that people need to realize.

This game is like gw2 in that you don't have to tab target as you automatically "tab target" what you are facing.

This doesn't mean that you arent' going to hit what's in front of you but for the most part, unless they do a complete remake (I doubt it) it's not going to be somethng like Tera.

Anybody who thinks that leaked footage was a good depiction of the game is really just buying into "anti-hype".

That player didn't use his ability, didn't block, didn't do anything but use the main attack. And yet players (no surprise here) buy into the first thing they see. It's like those players who come to a site and ask if a game is good and 3 people respond first and say "yes" or "no" and the op just allows them to sway his decision, no reasons or anything. Just that 3 people  said something so it must be true.

This is not to say the game is going to be great but that leaked footage was just footage of someone dicking around.

Now, if you didnt' like that he accepted a quest and that quest was similiar to Oblivion or skyrim when talking to an npc then nothing can be done about that. That's the game.

This is not a sandbox game and depending on what they do with added dungeons we will see if it's closer to an elder scrolls game where you head out and discover adventure or just head out and find quest givers.

Big difference there.

Now hold on. Don't tell me I'm taking those videos out of context. The game is tab targeting. You can call it a "hybrid" all you like Guild Wars 2 and ESO are tab targeting games.

The footage that has been released or leaked is a great depiction of what to expect. Like you've said they're not going to rebuild the combat system from scratch. You're getting what you see and I see a third person tab targeting game with the ability to go into first person (now that they've listened to their potential customer base).

I'm not even talking about the quest hubs that are in this game. I'm talking about the third person and tab targeting. Nor did I complain that this game wasn't a sandbox. You're doing a lot of assuming I'm talking about the combat system we've seen and like you personally said. I highly doubt they're going to properly build it from the ground up.

The game's overall a mess simply using the ES lore. So far we have a strict class based game with the typical warrrior, ranger, thief, mage, and cleric. There's Tab targeting and last minute first person perspective. The world of ES is massive and I believe that the zones in the game will not be properly depicted and we'll see some resemblances of the world overall however the vast majority of the game will be shrunk down. The lore has been altered to split the races into three different factions which you cannot explore until you finish your factions zone. Which to me screams a very small game to limit the amount of exploration a player can do on a single character. It's a guise for the player to create multiple characters to experience the rest of the world in the hopes that people don't truly realize how small the game might actually be.

Now that you actually made me point out the 'features' that are coming with the game you can pick it a part however. From what I've seen for myself this game is an overall mess. The game lost me very early on when I couldn't freely build my character like the previous games. This game once again is an overall mess that I'm very skeptical about. I'll wait for it to go F2P within a year at most.

Mtibbs1989

Elite Member

7/05/13 3:38:42 PM#55
Originally posted by IridescentOrk
If end game is PvP in Cyrodiil, ESO will be trashed faster than Warhammer. The game better has lots of PvE content, which is the reason I think the game was delayed. Devs must have realized the PvE was not enough. That's why they are letting players to access provinces from other factions. At least they had time to change some "red flags" before release. Then the consoles news, and this may not end up well. I hope Bethesda is working already with TES VI.

Warhammer was trashed because crappy developers not even batting an eyelash at fixing their game. However, Warhammer online was an overall great concept that actually felt like you were conquering the other realm. If someone can actually manage to pull that off properly they'll have a great game. 

Sovrath

Elite Member

7/05/13 3:42:33 PM#56

Nor did I complain that this game wasn't a sandbox. You're doing a lot of assuming I'm talking about the combat system we've seen and like you personally said. I highly doubt they're going to properly build it from the ground up.

That's true, youI never said it was going to be a sandbox. That was just an additional comment because some people have a hard time with that issue.

you never have to tab. ever. Attacks attack what is in front of you if you use a sword swipe. Including multiple targets.

If you want to assume the targeting system is like Age of Conan then go ahead. Again it's similar.

If you want to argue against the current system because it's not "elder scrolls" where is your argument on hitting/missing the target because of stats? That is how the early elder scrolls games did it. This is just another incarnation of another combat system. It will excel or fail on its own merits.

What's wrong with 3rd person? Morrowind had it? Oblivion had it? Skyrim had it. And I played all three predominantly third person. If you don't want to play in third person then use the first person. I know I will when I feel it's called for.

It's true the game has split factions. I didn't comment on the splitting on the factions because it is what it is.  I don't like that as well. In any case I was commenting on your take on the leaked footage. And again, if you think that leaked footage is truly indicative of anthing other than someone dicking around you are buying into anti-hype.

djazzy

Novice Member

7/05/13 3:48:20 PM#57

OP, I understand your feeling, I really do.

But when you try out the game, go in it with an open mind and judge the game on its own merits. Once you start going in with your bias already in place, it's hard to kick that feeling. So if you play something thinking it will be bad, chances are that it will be for you.

Reklaw

Elite Member

The adult I am takes care of most things real life. However my inner-child is a GAMER!!

7/05/13 3:49:23 PM#58

Are you (OP) convincing yourself due to being in beta to actually play the game? Which would make sense

Or are you judging the game on what you read and saw? if so I am not sure why people would convince themselfs without actually having first hand experiance.

BrucyBonus

Spotlight Poster

7/05/13 3:49:51 PM#59
I will be trying this game, but I will be putting any connection to Skyrim out of my head first as that gives it an unfair target to hit.  
  Drakynn

Novice Member

7/05/13 3:54:34 PM#60
I'm not convinced any game that I haven't actually tried is gonna be a good game especially based on controlled info releases and hype.Now I understand that you may not like the sound of what info has been released or in a lot of cases not released.But you should never be "convinced" of anything without personal experieince.Any game should be approached with some healthy skepticism and tempered hope.
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search