Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest Next | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,904 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,313,077
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » What's the point of TESO

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
96 posts found
  Jeyhu

Advanced Member

6/18/13 8:53:45 AM#41
Originally posted by Lyrian

One thing I'm surprised no one has brought up or at least that I've seen. Is the fact that the game is a prequel to the original elder scroll series and that therefore nothing we really do will have any sort of impact in the world, since we can look ahead at all the other elder scroll series and just see how everything has already panned out anyway.

But then that could be me just hating prequels.

I'm sure you're very vocal about hating George Lucas then.

Jeyhu

Advanced Member

6/18/13 9:02:26 AM#42
Originally posted by Kylia61
I have been preaching the exact same thing for 8 years. Screw MMO PVP, what a joke. Instead of making devs produce compelling content, environment and handcrafted questing they say "Here have some weapons and entertain yourselves by killing each other in environments that took one afternoon to craft." You want pvp? How many FPS games are designed FOR NOTHING ELSE? PVP in RPG is all what gear you got and not skill. You don't think so? Then why do teams have minimum gear stats requirements? Just so long as your gear is a certain level...they don't even ask if you have any skill. BECAUSE...ya don't need it. Just the gear. Ya want to pvp me? Meet me in BF3...or whatever Counter-Strike. All the man-hours and resources wasted on pvp balancing and bug squashing.

I love the hate cake eaters (PvErs) have for PvPers.  Just because we like to fight others it means I have to be forced into a specific genre to do so  (in your suggestion FPS).   That would be like me telling you to stick to platformers such as Mario games to get your so called hand crafted content.

Good PvP systems makes it so it isn't just about gear level.  Get that WoW mentality out of your head.  Guild Wars 2 for instance, that isn't about gear at all when you're in SPvP since everyone has access to all their skills and all the same gear.

I get it you don't like PvP, you also don't know shit about it.  Stop acting like you do.  Do you think the hardcore PvPers like the fact they have to level up for 150-200+ hours of "handcrafted" (scripted NPC) content?  No, they do it because they are forced to.  Most games do not force PvErs to do that.  The ones that have done, all you get is QQ and comments like, "don't shoot me, i'm questing!!).

Funny I think devs waste more hours crafting raiding content that a fraction of the community does, or PvE content that gets burned through in a matter of hours.  Just so you know, I'm sure there are more PvPers out there then there are raiders.   I'll use SWTOR as an example.  When update 1.2 was delayed (it was the PvP update), and they took out Rated PvP, SWTOR lost more then 400 000 subs.  So that was pretty much 1/4 of their player base.  Yep, PvPers are a small fraction of a community right?.....

Jeyhu

Advanced Member

6/18/13 9:05:59 AM#43
Originally posted by Vonatar

It's an IP sell out DAoC copy cash grab.

Elder Scrolls could have been the one of the greatest PVE themeparks, to rival EQ2, but instead they went for PVP because it's cheaper to make and game design philosophy these days starts with anticipated profit rather than whether it is a good concept.

I can agree with you on the game design philosophy being more about profit, since this is a profit driven industry now that makes more dough then Hollywood.  On the fact that PvP content is cheaper to produce, I disagree.  Cyrodill is 9 PvE zones big, so unless it's a barren wasteland full of nothingness, I find it hard to believe it's cheaper to produce then any of the regular zones.

Ziegler

Advanced Member

6/18/13 9:18:28 AM#44
Originally posted by Piiritus
 But their only point in making this game is to milk cash with popular IP.

Unfortunately, this has become a trend of late...DDO, AoC, SWTOR, NW, and now TESO will be in that line as well.  I just havent decided if this will be a bigger trainwreck than SWTOR or not.

Lyrian

Advanced Member

6/18/13 9:26:00 AM#45
Originally posted by Jeyhu
Originally posted by Lyrian

One thing I'm surprised no one has brought up or at least that I've seen. Is the fact that the game is a prequel to the original elder scroll series and that therefore nothing we really do will have any sort of impact in the world, since we can look ahead at all the other elder scroll series and just see how everything has already panned out anyway.

But then that could be me just hating prequels.

I'm sure you're very vocal about hating George Lucas then.

Not at all, since I'm unfortunate enough to share the same name a main character I must like it all.

Ziegler

Advanced Member

6/18/13 9:26:31 AM#46

Funny I think devs waste more hours crafting raiding content that a fraction of the community does, or PvE content that gets burned through in a matter of hours.  Just so you know, I'm sure there are more PvPers out there then there are raiders.   I'll use SWTOR as an example.  When update 1.2 was delayed (it was the PvP update), and they took out Rated PvP, SWTOR lost more then 400 000 subs.  So that was pretty much 1/4 of their player base.  Yep, PvPers are a small fraction of a community right?.....

I remember one of the Devs actually stating....we didnt anticipate this much interest in PVP.......

Really? I followed that game since before it's forum and website launched, and there was an overwhelming amount of PVP discussion on the forums. All they had to do was look at the people that were the most interested in their game......they didnt.

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

6/18/13 9:59:00 AM#47
Originally posted by Vonatar

It's an IP sell out DAoC copy cash grab.

Elder Scrolls could have been the one of the greatest PVE themeparks, to rival EQ2, but instead they went for PVP because it's cheaper to make and game design philosophy these days starts with anticipated profit rather than whether it is a good concept.

*In most countrys...not all ...profit.....is not a bad thing. In most countrys consumers have a choice about what to buy and what not to buy.

* I have found in RL the adage "one man's trash is another mans treasure" is often true

*personally i have been looking forward to the game. The best faction vs faction game ever made ..IMHO...is DAOC.To have one of its creators produce an updated DAOC(curent game is 11 years old) like game.It fills a market nitch and offers a fabulous opportunity for gamers who have been looking and not finding the next DAOC.And for Zinimax...a fantastic profit opportunity.

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

6/18/13 10:03:51 AM#48
Originally posted by Ziegler

I remember one of the Devs actually stating....we didnt anticipate this much interest in PVP.......

Really? I followed that game since before it's forum and website launched, and there was an overwhelming amount of PVP discussion on the forums. All they had to do was look at the people that were the most interested in their game......they didnt.

AVA is a major part of the game and why many of the games players are developing their characters.But like DAOC...you don't HAVE to fight to do other things like crafting or adventuring.

Sovrath

Elite Member

6/18/13 10:14:13 AM#49
Originally posted by bubaluba
If you suck in pvp do not play this game. You have  skyrim to play and stay there safe in your virtual world. MMO only pve is pure boredom . Thanks to heaven nobody in gaming industry  want to listen to such ridiculous opinions like you posted here

Or those who want strict pve can not only adventure in their own faction but they have two others at their disposal. Not to mention the adventure zones (which I suspect is one of the reasons for the delay.

So if people don't want pvp and they are interested in this game, they shouldn't listen to you.

azzamasin

Hard Core Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

6/18/13 10:16:37 AM#50
Originally posted by Thane

if you want a pve game, there are plenty out there.

i'd suggest to play those. thx.

Theres Zero full featured modern PvE games which doesn't feature some sort of PvP.  Nice try but not even close.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

jtcgs

Advanced Member

6/18/13 10:33:07 AM#51
Originally posted by Voqar

At this point I'm wonder why they're making this game.

Seriously, I don't get why suddenly NOW so many of the few people that looked at the game as a great idea are now upset.

From the very start they showed they had no real interest in making an actual TES MMO but instead was making a quick cash grab. You don't base a TES game on DaoC if you have any actual interest in making a game for TES fans. The whole OMG its also being made for consoles is just a small example of that mindset.

It would have been different if they were making an actual TES game with just multiplayer capabilities because the last two TES games were also multi-platform...even though Skyrim was the only one built AROUND Console play. As is, they are making a cluster ____ of a game that's going to meet almost nobodies standards or wants.

Most console TES players don't play MMOs, nor have much interest in them. Though many of them will be ignorant of what the game is going to limit them too in terms of gameplay, I do see sales being somewhat high just from the name, but retention will be another matter because SRPG players don't want to be forced into having to do anything and the race/faction restriction alone will bar those that like multi-playing because it will force them and their friends to have to play the same thing, which is a turn off for many of that style of player.

Most PC TES players don't like DaoC style limitations or feel it fits the TES style of gameplay for the same reasons as console SRPGers with the addition of lack of open world and funneled PvP content being the basis of the game.

Most PC MMO players never played DaoC and really don't know what they are in for when they hit that wall DaoC had.

The latest information about the game should be expected when the developers base their game in a small box and are disconnected from their target audience...sorry DaoC fans, you shot yourselves in the foot in hopes to grasp at past experiences without really thinking about what they were doing, taking an existing IP with fans far different than you are and trying to please BOTH. You were far better off jumping on the CU bandwagon and trying to get them to make it more like DaoC than not via funding pressure.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

6/18/13 10:42:04 AM#52
I think the concept of the game and the choice of Firor to lead the new company was excellent.His early description of his vision for the game  was exciting. I also think the direction the game has taken in the last few months has dramatically reduced my interest  and hope in what I thought was going to be a great AVA game.
  Sawlstone

Novice Member

6/18/13 10:45:00 AM#53
Originally posted by Shadanwolf
I think the concept of the game and the choice of Firor to lead the new company was excellent.His early descrition of his vision for the game  was exciting. I also think the direction the game has taken in the last few months has dramatically reduced my interest  and hope in what I thought was going to be a great AVA game.

I feel the same. No hard feeling toward anyone. Its just heading a direction I am not at all interested in. Maybe there is still hope since it is so far away from being launched....just maybe.

Sovrath

Elite Member

6/18/13 10:49:18 AM#54
Originally posted by Sawlstone
I think the concept of the game and the choice of Firor to lead the new company was excellent.His early descrition of his vision for the game  was exciting. I also think the direction the game has taken in the last few months has dramatically reduced my interest  and hope in what I thought was going to be a great AVA game.

I feel the same. No hard feeling toward anyone. Its just heading a direction I am not at all interested in. Maybe there is still hope since it is so far away from being launched....just maybe.

And none taken.

Though I love pvp I am more interested in the game when they say "multi-player elder scrolls".

I don't care about factions because in my experience the "new mmo player" doesn't care much about faction pride. I would sooner have a FFA pvp elder scrolls game.

However, anything that maximizes my freedom like a classic elder scrolls game (well the few that had this type of freedom) is ok in my book.

azzamasin

Hard Core Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

6/18/13 11:12:34 AM#55
Originally posted by Sawlstone

Same here and unlike jctgs (or however he spells his name) is wrong about people not understanding DAoC.  DAoC RvR is synonymous across the MMO genre as having excellent PvP with many people considering it the best iteration of PvP in an MMO to date.  I am extremely upset that the vast majority of new players will never ever be able to understand what makes MMO's so rewarding for players like me because they will now play the game on a console and a console will never be able to replicate the communications and precise systems/ideals of n MMO.  There's just something to be said for playing an MMO on a Keyboard and Mouse that can never be replicated with a console gamepad.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

jtcgs

Advanced Member

6/18/13 11:38:51 AM#56
Originally posted by azzamasin

Same here and unlike jctgs (or however he spells his name) is wrong about people not understanding DAoC.  DAoC RvR is synonymous across the MMO genre as having excellent PvP with many people considering it the best iteration of PvP in an MMO to date. 

Only to former DaoC players.

Nobody that came In with Guild Wars 1 believes DaoC had better PvP, nobody that came in with WoW believes it either, nobody that came into the MMO genre within the last 3 years says "boy that DaoC had better PvP than the MMOs I have played!"

Because they NEVER PLAYED IT...oh wait, do you actually think that because YOU and some other former DaoC players post online about it that it makes people believe your experiences with that game is going to change their mind about their own experiences?!?

Rose colored glasses...glasses that have made some people so blind that they wont even admit that if DaoCs RvR was so damn great...why the hell didn't ANYONE EVER COPY IT? They didn't, because of its massive flaws and limitations.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Iselin

The Listener

6/18/13 2:16:46 PM#57
Originally posted by jtcgs
Originally posted by Voqar

At this point I'm wonder why they're making this game.

Seriously, I don't get why suddenly NOW so many of the few people that looked at the game as a great idea are now upset.

From the very start they showed they had no real interest in making an actual TES MMO but instead was making a quick cash grab. You don't base a TES game on DaoC if you have any actual interest in making a game for TES fans. The whole OMG its also being made for consoles is just a small example of that mindset.

It would have been different if they were making an actual TES game with just multiplayer capabilities because the last two TES games were also multi-platform...even though Skyrim was the only one built AROUND Console play. As is, they are making a cluster ____ of a game that's going to meet almost nobodies standards or wants.

Most console TES players don't play MMOs, nor have much interest in them. Though many of them will be ignorant of what the game is going to limit them too in terms of gameplay, I do see sales being somewhat high just from the name, but retention will be another matter because SRPG players don't want to be forced into having to do anything and the race/faction restriction alone will bar those that like multi-playing because it will force them and their friends to have to play the same thing, which is a turn off for many of that style of player.

Most PC TES players don't like DaoC style limitations or feel it fits the TES style of gameplay for the same reasons as console SRPGers with the addition of lack of open world and funneled PvP content being the basis of the game.

Most PC MMO players never played DaoC and really don't know what they are in for when they hit that wall DaoC had.

The latest information about the game should be expected when the developers base their game in a small box and are disconnected from their target audience...sorry DaoC fans, you shot yourselves in the foot in hopes to grasp at past experiences without really thinking about what they were doing, taking an existing IP with fans far different than you are and trying to please BOTH. You were far better off jumping on the CU bandwagon and trying to get them to make it more like DaoC than not via funding pressure.

How many MMOers that you know don't also have consoles? But you know that those who played Skyrim or Oblivion on a console don't do MMOs... nice leap of logic.

And If you're going to keep using the word "most" to try to give unwarranted credibility to your doom and gloom, you'd better back that up with some solid data. All you're really doing is revealing that you have unique opinions and some sort of faith-based belief system on your ability to gauge public gaming opinion.

And which is it? Did most people not play DAoC or do most TES players, who presumably by your logic also didn't play DAoC, don't like "DAoC style limitations" Whatever the f__k that means. How would they know if they've never played it?

In any PvP game I've ever played, be it open world or scenario based, the one thing that sets the good PvP guilds apart from the rabble is strategy, tactics and coordination. That's how smart PvPers do it. And what the f__k do you think RvR is all about? It's organized open world (you can quibble about the size required for it to be "true" open world but Cyrodiil is the size of several WOW zones put together and it has all the usual MMO world trappings like resources, quests and dungeons) PvP with group coordination, strategy and tactics.

I guess you must be championing the cause of dumb PvPers everywhere who run around with no purpose when you say that "most" who have never experienced RvR won't like it. It's a hell of a lot more likely that people new to it will see it as something much better than the usual running around like a chicken with its head cut off or solo stealth-ganking. 

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

6/18/13 2:27:18 PM#58

Same here and unlike jctgs (or however he spells his name) is wrong about people not understanding DAoC.  DAoC RvR is synonymous across the MMO genre as having excellent PvP with many people considering it the best iteration of PvP in an MMO to date. 

Nobody that came In with Guild Wars 1 believes DaoC had better PvP, nobody that came in with WoW believes it either, nobody that came into the MMO genre within the last 3 years says "boy that DaoC had better PvP than the MMOs I have played!"

Because they NEVER PLAYED IT...oh wait, do you actually think that because YOU and some other former DaoC players post online about it that it makes people believe your experiences with that game is going to change their mind about their own experiences?!?

Rose colored glasses...glasses that have made some people so blind that they wont even admit that if DaoCs RvR was so damn great...why the hell didn't ANYONE EVER COPY IT? They didn't, because of its massive flaws and limitations.

DAOC has been and continues to be a  subscription based mmog after 11 years.Care to name 2-3 other faction vs faction centric games ,that are still going strong, that can make that claim ?

Players are voting with their money every day about which is the greatest faction vs faction centric game ever.

NasherUK

Apprentice Member

6/18/13 2:34:08 PM#59

I just cannot see this game turning out to be very good. I think it's just going to be another generic theme park mmo :/

If it's not like the single player games, with a large open world and open ended gameplay, then it's a fail.  Because that is what elder scroll fans want and the whole reason they buy the elder scrolls games.

The fact it's not even being made by Bethesda worries me as well. Games that are contracted out to third parties almost always turn out bad.

Also what compromises are being made for the console? Games have to be a lot less complex when you don't even have a keyboard...

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

6/18/13 2:35:55 PM#60

Because WOW doesn't have it and game designers have largely been copying that same tired design for the past 8 years or so.

No doubt, RVR is a niche market and there's no telling how the PC gamer who never played DAOC during its prime will react should this title somehow manage to recreate the full experience.

But not to worry, I think DAOC was a "perfect storm" of factors that no one will ever be able to duplicate and this title will be carving out its own name with its version of RvR.

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
"People can do with their money what they want. But... that doesn't make it smart" - COORS
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search