Trending Games | World of Warcraft | EverQuest | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,804 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,556
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » elder scrolls is not the elder scrolls we know.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
49 posts found
  Vorthanion

Hard Core Member

4/22/13 2:19:38 PM#21
Originally posted by eldaris

Originally posted by Trionicus

It may yet work out for TESO but based on the leaked footage and official rendered gameplay video I would say that they better hope ArchAge doesn't get here at around the same time they do.

They should be more worried about having a complete game with no bugs and with as many things to do at max level as possible than think about a game like archage which if it launches without pve servers will not be more than a niche game.
The market has so many mmos available that teso can't afford to launch incomplete or with too many bugs if they want to have a decent number of subscriptions after 3-4 months.

The only way I would consider playing Archeage is if they had PvE server sets.  FFA PvP with  no safe adventuring areas is not my cup of tea, no matter how cool the rest of the game may be.

Vorthanion

Hard Core Member

4/22/13 2:22:06 PM#22
Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Trionicus
When I see a games do this it reminds me of Apple and Blizzard.

Apple catered to their market for years and didn't really ever change. In the end, or at least up until now, they stuck to what they knew and did best and, it worked out awesome for them. Same thing with Blizzard and WOW

Most of these companies are doing the opposite of what apple AND Blizzard did. They decide to ignore their core consumer base and appeal to wider demographic that may or may not even know their IP exists.

It may yet work out for TESO but based on the leaked footage and official rendered gameplay video I would say that they better hope ArchAge doesn't get here at around the same time they do.

using your analogy, it seemed to work out great for samsung.

not saying they should copy wow but my point is this is a business and they are obviously trying to get as many people to buy and play their game as possible.

also, archage launching in the west when TESO launches will not be an issue for them no matter if their game is a long term success or not (it likely wont be).

its the only large budget themepark mmo in development to my knowledge, one of the more popular IP's in the west as well.

i would assume sales at launch will not be a problem for TESO, the challenge will be holding the subs for more than a few months.

SOE has learned and implemented the future of MMOs by creating many diverse games and placing them under the Station Pass umbrella.  You cater to your target audience, no matter the size, yet the aggregate portfolio nets you the second if not largest share of the MMO market to date.  With the release of Wizardry Online and Planetside 2 and the upcoming EverQuest Next and Dragon's Prophet they could easily surpass Blizzard in overall numbers.

Karelia

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 2:22:19 PM#23
Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
Developers don't seem to get that it's better to have a small group of players telling everyone how great the game is then a massive group telling everyone how bad it is. If this game ends up being nothing like Skyrim it will flop.......hard.

this

maddog15a

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 2:36:40 PM#24
The game will sell theres no doubt about it.  After all there is still 100s of 1000s of people who still think this game is Skyrim online.  Plus you have a bunch of daoc fans going on and on about how its going to be the best game ever.(daoc highest sub count was just 250,000 players)  So the game will sell easily but it wont keep subs for long and like most mmos it will have a slow slow death as the devolopers well put out less and less content updates as their sub numbers drop to bare minimum.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 2:45:51 PM#25
Oh you guys bloody love this 250k bullshit don't you.

In those days that was a LARGE playerbase.

EQ only had 400k
Swg had 250k
Ac had 150k
Ao had 100k

I guess they are all fails though because they don't have the highly dubious 10 meeeeeleon players wow supposedly has.
  Rzep

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 2:51:19 PM#26
Skyrim combat, typical Elder Scrolls "level as you use leveling system", scaling enemies ala Oblivion, a focus on story and exploration, fully solo-able, Voiced NPCs, involved Elder Scrolls quests and not kill 10 of that and bring it there,regions based on the ones in previous games, 1st and 3rd person views...oh yea its so not Elder Scrolls.
  ZedTheRock

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 3:18:22 PM#27
Originally posted by archeageking

It pisses me off when a developer try to kill a beloved titan rpg such as elder scrolls online, AND FOR WHAT?

make an mmorpg for the masses is that it? greed?  shoudl remind zenimax it doesnt have to be for the masses of mmorpg players. They shoudl cater to the elder scrolls players. THATS FINE BY ME.

Oh zenimax you reap what you sow. 

Zenimax its ok to be a niche game, IT doesnt have to be for the mass market of mmoplayers.

they dont freaking get it.

I dont really care if they were making some other mmo games with different IP, thats fine by me.

However, they had the balls to slap on the name Elder Scrolls to this mmorpg.

In Zenimax's defense people have been clamoring for a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game for years.  Plus it makes perfect sense to turn it into an MMO.

Hopefully some of the systems get ironed out and the PvE world is as fluid and fun as the single player games.

SUP

maddog15a

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 3:28:49 PM#28
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Oh you guys bloody love this 250k bullshit don't you.

In those days that was a LARGE playerbase.

EQ only had 400k
Swg had 250k
Ac had 150k
Ao had 100k

I guess they are all fails though because they don't have the highly dubious 10 meeeeeleon players wow supposedly has.

I fully aware of that.  Thing is I was just useing that as an example of possible sales numbers for TESO.  Add that to the number of people who still thing the game is going to be Skyrim online.  Your looking at pretty good sales for an mmo.  Unfortunately sales numbers mean nothing in the mmo world other than that the Advertising and marketing department did a good job.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 3:33:00 PM#29
Yeah but its not possible sales numbers is it.

13 years or so ago, how many people had broadband? How many people could afford the telephone calls to play a mmo on a land line?
  maddog15a

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 3:36:42 PM#30
Originally posted by Rzep
Skyrim combat, typical Elder Scrolls "level as you use leveling system", scaling enemies ala Oblivion, a focus on story and exploration, fully solo-able, Voiced NPCs, involved Elder Scrolls quests and not kill 10 of that and bring it there,regions based on the ones in previous games, 1st and 3rd person views...oh yea its so not Elder Scrolls.

Hate to tell you this but their 1st person view is the equivalent of zooming in the camara in WoW untill your character fades out and it looks like a 1st person perspective.

maddog15a

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 3:48:59 PM#31
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Yeah but its not possible sales numbers is it.

13 years or so ago, how many people had broadband? How many people could afford the telephone calls to play a mmo on a land line?

Um it is possible sales numbers.  As that what they could possibly get not what they actually get.  Besided how many people jump on hype bandwagon buying an mmo they drop with in a week only hurting the mmo, millions.  So its sells number could be far greater than expected, and it still isn't going to change much.

Miblet

Novice Member

4/22/13 3:55:54 PM#32
Originally posted by maddog15a

Hate to tell you this but their 1st person view is the equivalent of zooming in the camara in WoW untill your character fades out and it looks like a 1st person perspective.

Apparantly Firor stated to the media prior to PAX that whilst not implemented they did indeed intend to have hands in first person view as in other Elder Scrolls games.  If this ends up being true, who knows...it's still only early in closed beta and too soon to tell.

keithian

Hard Core Member

4/22/13 6:27:47 PM#33
god I still have so much more to do in Skyrim and they already said there is another one coming out eventually. What is the point of this thread again?

There Is Always Hope!

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 6:33:02 PM#34

how the hell would that work in a mmo???????

anyway i didnt like the way it worked in oblivion anyway, morrowind and skyrim had better systems. 

Lexin

Novice Member

Mess With The Rest
Die Like The Best!

4/22/13 6:38:04 PM#35
Guess you just woke up from a 5 year coma OP. Devs no longer care about the loyal playerbase they care only to draw money from the box sales and a few months worth of subs.

BigHatLogan

Spotlight Poster

4/22/13 6:42:57 PM#36
Originally posted by baphamet

why would a developer want a small group of players raving how good their game is vs a much larger group paying them more money? this is a business after all and TESO is not a low budget indy game.

They could have learned the lessons Bioware did with SWTOR.  They catered to the masses and gave them nothing particularly interesting, and lost a fortune.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!

I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Hellidol

Hard Core Member

4/22/13 6:44:24 PM#37
Originally posted by Maelwydd
err....thanks for whining in another pointless thread.

+1

Arclan

Spotlight Poster

"Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute."

4/22/13 6:45:34 PM#38

TESO's radical departure from TES is not a problem? In that case, I guess no one can complain about SWTOR because you can always go play your single-player star wars games!??

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit
video game company layoffs are twice the national average.

LordSneerg

Novice Member

4/22/13 6:52:41 PM#39
Originally posted by Hellidol
Originally posted by Maelwydd
err....thanks for whining in another pointless thread.

+1

Glad I am not the only one that feels this way. A different developer is making this game and just using the elder scrolls lore. This is going to be a mmo and not just a RPGs. If this is not what you are looking for don't play. So tired of all the cry babies here. This game could be even better then sky rim but you got to give the game a chance. Sigh. 

JasonJ

Apprentice Member

4/22/13 6:57:59 PM#40
Originally posted by archeageking

make an mmorpg for the masses is that it? greed?  shoudl remind zenimax it doesnt have to be for the masses of mmorpg players. They shoudl cater to the elder scrolls players. THATS FINE BY ME.

It isnt for the masses, though that is what the heads of Zenimax were told, sadly, the heads of Zenimax do not know the market otherwise they would have shot down the notion of making one based on DaoC which wasnt even close to being the most popular for its time, which is nothing compared to todays market which has little desire to play in the small box that is DaoC gameplay.

Outside this site which is filled with many DaoC players, you will find most have no desire for the game or have many worries its limited gameplay will take away from any actual feeling of playing in a TES game world.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search