Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,777 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,390
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » TESO: Guesstimated Mapsize

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
31 posts found
  achesoma

Apprentice Member

4/21/13 4:28:38 PM#21
I've seen all this map guesstimating before.  Like how SWTOR's planets were gonna be the size of half a WoW continent lol.  Not like it matters all that much if end-game revolves around one zone anyway. 

asrlohz

Hard Core Member

Alea iacta est, beloved Doomsayers.

OP  4/21/13 4:36:08 PM#22
Originally posted by Shauneepeak

I remember hearing that the Cyrodiil pvp area alone is only going to be only slightly smaller than it was in Oblivion and the terrain in TESO is going to be an actual copy of what it was in Oblivion. Thats just the terrain not building, farms, towns, etc.

I really wish I could remember where I heard this it might have been in the Interview with Mark (LordHammer) of guild Umbra who got to play the pre-alpha build of TESO and tour the Zenimaz studio.

It's a long ass interview broken up into different sections which are displayed at the top of the video but I believe he confirmed what I remember hearing in this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_8Nc8YcITo

In Cyrodiil they have decided to model it after what it was in Oblivion with the same locations. Probably to save time but also because it would add a substantial amount of content/resources ratio. You can listen to an interview where Matt Firor mentions this here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/09/the-origins-of-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

Listen after 03:00 and forth.

asrlohz

Hard Core Member

OP  4/21/13 4:39:24 PM#23
Originally posted by achesoma
I've seen all this map guesstimating before.  Like how SWTOR's planets were gonna be the size of half a WoW continent lol.  Not like it matters all that much if end-game revolves around one zone anyway. 

My deep space emotion detector detects elements of cynicism and a hint of realism.

What you say is true but hopefully TESO won't be packed with invisible walls and have more of an "en route" quest system rather than one questhub. Also, since the zones are basically the whole of the nation you are in, I doubt that it will be like in Tatooine. But only time will tell.

ragz45

Novice Member

4/21/13 4:46:41 PM#24
From multiple accounts of people that have played the game, the game world is roughly the same size as SW:TOR & Rift.

paladin016

Apprentice Member

4/21/13 4:53:23 PM#25
@Ragz45 It can't be the same size as rift, for each zone in that game it takes u 3 minutes mounted to get from edge to edge. For example, oblivion will take you 20 minutes to get from east to west on a mount. Don't know where your proportions came from

ragz45

Novice Member

4/21/13 5:00:57 PM#26
You assume that TESO will be to the same scale as previous ES games.  Which by all reports isn't true.

asrlohz

Hard Core Member

OP  4/21/13 5:28:13 PM#27
Originally posted by ragz45
You assume that TESO will be to the same scale as previous ES games.  Which by all reports isn't true.

The reports from beta testers whom are allowed a restricted area, then maybe. Please source this if you want to be taken seriously.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

8/05/13 4:41:55 AM#28
Originally posted by ragz45
From multiple accounts of people that have played the game, the game world is roughly the same size as SW:TOR & Rift.

Rift was the smallest mmo game world at release....  But if each of the three alliances is the size of the full rift world, and if th PvP grounds are the size of DAoCs PvP area, then i will be hapy

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Goldmund

Novice Member

8/05/13 5:54:44 PM#29

The manual for Arena quotes a total area for Tamriel as 12 million square kilometers; however, from area analysis of the height maps in the other previous games, we have:

Skyrim: 119 x 94 TES4 size cells = 6.9km x 5.4km = 37.6 sq km

Cyrodiil: 134 x 129 TES4 size cells = 7.7km x 7.4km = 57 sq km

Morrowind: 84 x 88 TES4 size cells = 4.8km x 5km = 24 sq km

I too have heard in interview that Cyrodiil will be roughly the same scale as seen in Oblivion.  Just eyeballing the size of Cyrodiil with the rest of the map, it seems to be about two ninths of the total landmass.  So I estimate a total area to be around 412 square kilometers.  Subtract from that those areas that are underwater or excluded initially for the sake of kitty cat flu plague or whatever, and we get… Well, I don’t know.

Another thought: On a horse at full gallop that covers maybe 40 to 48 kilometers per hour, we might be able to cross the major length of Cyrodiil in about 10 to 12 minutes.  With each campaign of Cyrodiil designed to stage up to around 2000 players simultaneously, we may see a population density at peak times in pvp to be around 35 people per square kilometer.  Cluster those folks together for the sake of keeps and quests, and things should get pretty eventful.

On the other hand, I don’t really know anything about anything, so I’ll just run around wherever my guild leader tells me to and pew pew arrows into anything that glows red.

Daaken

Apprentice Member

“It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.”

8/05/13 7:01:53 PM#30

Here is the actual playable area of ESO, rather small if you ask me:

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

8/06/13 1:26:45 AM#31
Originally posted by Goldmund

The manual for Arena quotes a total area for Tamriel as 12 million square kilometers; however, from area analysis of the height maps in the other previous games, we have:

Skyrim: 119 x 94 TES4 size cells = 6.9km x 5.4km = 37.6 sq km

Cyrodiil: 134 x 129 TES4 size cells = 7.7km x 7.4km = 57 sq km

Morrowind: 84 x 88 TES4 size cells = 4.8km x 5km = 24 sq km

I too have heard in interview that Cyrodiil will be roughly the same scale as seen in Oblivion.  Just eyeballing the size of Cyrodiil with the rest of the map, it seems to be about two ninths of the total landmass.  So I estimate a total area to be around 412 square kilometers.  Subtract from that those areas that are underwater or excluded initially for the sake of kitty cat flu plague or whatever, and we get… Well, I don’t know.

Another thought: On a horse at full gallop that covers maybe 40 to 48 kilometers per hour, we might be able to cross the major length of Cyrodiil in about 10 to 12 minutes.  With each campaign of Cyrodiil designed to stage up to around 2000 players simultaneously, we may see a population density at peak times in pvp to be around 35 people per square kilometer.  Cluster those folks together for the sake of keeps and quests, and things should get pretty eventful.

On the other hand, I don’t really know anything about anything, so I’ll just run around wherever my guild leader tells me to and pew pew arrows into anything that glows red.

I allways tought that the elder scrolls playable area was rather small compared to MMOs.

mapsize does not say anything tough about how big a game is, because the distances between certain places might be scaled down... And as long as you dont know the scaling factor a full map does not tell you much.

i severely hope that ESO will have several zones for every level, giving people a choice where to play... But the way they decided to split up the world i think for 1 to 50 this might not be the case ... But as the 2 major other areas open up to you at max level it will be great..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

2 Pages « 1 2 Search