Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | Neverwinter

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,336 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,667
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » They turned a great sandbox genre into a Themepark.

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Search
171 posts found
  baphamet

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/05/06
Posts: 2638

110100100

4/28/13 1:58:40 PM#161


Originally posted by Squeak69

Originally posted by Iselin

Originally posted by Arcona Sandbox fans are against quests right, so you want to level by grinding mobs? What about playing an asain mmo then?
Ah but you see... when your mind gets numb from repetitive grinding for hours it begins to wander and then the "magic of sandboxing" kicks in and you invent your own story. Mind you... it always tends to be the same own story, you know? The one with nubile elven women who have been kept away from males... until you came along? And that my friend, is why sandboxes are best.
im still confused by this whole thing i was always under the impression sandbox meant game where you built things in them, i dont understand why its used as a term to say open world game with no content and the only thing you can do is kill things.

 

cause you know the elder sroll games arnt sand boxed heck if anything they are theme parks, that let you wander around in the theme park choseing which ride you rode first but a theme park non the less.


generally speaking and this is obviously not aimed at you, one only has to realize what the term sandbox means to come to the conclusion that ES is not it.

in a sandbox you build sandcastles, you build the content. in ES all the content is already built and there for you to discover.

just because you can do it in any order you choose does not make it a sandbox by any means at all.

yes it has freedom, freedom does not necessarily equal sandbox.

i find that a lot of the people that complain about this game are complaining for clueless reasons.

i see the concerns about faction lock and even the fact you cant go to enemy lands until you are 50.

but other than that i would say most of the complaining is pretty stupid and pre-mature at best, unless you truly are a sandbox fan and only play those games.

if so, what are you doing here and why are you an ES fan to begin with?

  znaiika

Novice Member

Joined: 1/31/12
Posts: 202

4/28/13 2:14:41 PM#162

Can anyone please point me, to where developers stated, that ESO is a sandbox game?

I could only find them stating, it is MMORPG, with feel of elder scrolls.

  Nanfoodle

Elite Member

Joined: 5/23/06
Posts: 3431

4/28/13 3:46:28 PM#163
Originally posted by znaiika

Can anyone please point me, to where developers stated, that ESO is a sandbox game?

I could only find them stating, it is MMORPG, with feel of elder scrolls.

They never did. Thats one of the two reasons I dont get this thread. ESO devs never planed to make a sandbox game and TES is not by any means a sandbox game. I keep saying, ESO is a themepark game based off a themepark style RPG. IMO I only like about 10-25% sandbox elements. Player housing is one sandbox feature I really love. I hope ESO does add that at some point but not done like an after thought. Would like to see it tie into crafting and other parts of the game. But as they are not making a sandbox game, it does not seem to be a focus. lol

  Golelorn

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/23/03
Posts: 1058

4/28/13 3:49:18 PM#164
Originally posted by Slampig
Originally posted by Topherpunch

I am a fan od Elder Scroll, so much that I must protest this game.  I am just going to post all the bad things that I think are very bad ideas. This is not a troll, just a "concerned gamers bad idea, thoughts" post....

Having one PvP area. While I know it is huge I just think putting players in a particular place to PvP is just silly.

One mega server, this is good if you were playing a game like EvE or Darkfall where there are no instaces.

Gaining skills and spells..... Not cool

Targeting..... Why are they ruining the FPS style?

Not able to join other faction area's until you reach maxed level (This could be a rumor) Why?

What did you do to the old crafting system from Elder Scrolls? What is wrong with combining regular items to make weird combines?

Zenimax.....

The root of all evil.....money. Why is Bethesda giving into corporate walkways? You could have created something amazing.

These are just some things I think they really messed up on. Personally I wish they would stop what they are doing and remake. Theme park is dead. I know some people really like themepark games, but  (this is an assumtion) I really think that is because they have not been given anything else. If Skyrim was an MMORPG with hundreds of people running around doing what they want and killing who they wanted...... There would be only one.

Yes yes, that evil money... You know, if it didn't cost MONEY to produce a game like this and it didn't cost MONEY to support a game like this, I might actually agree with you... You can totally continue to play Skyrim, you should in fact. Just remember how much you paid for that game as well, and that was just to play by yourself...

I wonder how chasing the money went for all those other themepark games not called WoW.

  Nanfoodle

Elite Member

Joined: 5/23/06
Posts: 3431

4/29/13 8:59:58 AM#165
Originally posted by Golelorn
Originally posted by Slampig
Originally posted by Topherpunch

I am a fan od Elder Scroll, so much that I must protest this game.  I am just going to post all the bad things that I think are very bad ideas. This is not a troll, just a "concerned gamers bad idea, thoughts" post....

Having one PvP area. While I know it is huge I just think putting players in a particular place to PvP is just silly.

One mega server, this is good if you were playing a game like EvE or Darkfall where there are no instaces.

Gaining skills and spells..... Not cool

Targeting..... Why are they ruining the FPS style?

Not able to join other faction area's until you reach maxed level (This could be a rumor) Why?

What did you do to the old crafting system from Elder Scrolls? What is wrong with combining regular items to make weird combines?

Zenimax.....

The root of all evil.....money. Why is Bethesda giving into corporate walkways? You could have created something amazing.

These are just some things I think they really messed up on. Personally I wish they would stop what they are doing and remake. Theme park is dead. I know some people really like themepark games, but  (this is an assumtion) I really think that is because they have not been given anything else. If Skyrim was an MMORPG with hundreds of people running around doing what they want and killing who they wanted...... There would be only one.

Yes yes, that evil money... You know, if it didn't cost MONEY to produce a game like this and it didn't cost MONEY to support a game like this, I might actually agree with you... You can totally continue to play Skyrim, you should in fact. Just remember how much you paid for that game as well, and that was just to play by yourself...

I wonder how chasing the money went for all those other themepark games not called WoW.

Themepark does not mean fail. No end game, bad combat system, when end game be added and it feels like an after thought. Thats when MMOs fail. More themepark MMOs have made it big then sandbox, real sandbox. What going to make the best MMOs going forward will be games that can take the best of sandbox and themepark and put them in one game. Thats where real winning will be.

  CthulhuPuffs

Novice Member

Joined: 3/03/13
Posts: 379

Will consume your soul, yet stay crunchy in milk

4/29/13 9:27:43 AM#166
No, they have taken a great Themepark/Sandbox Hybrid SPRPG and used it to remake DAOC

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

  Nanfoodle

Elite Member

Joined: 5/23/06
Posts: 3431

4/29/13 9:36:33 AM#167
Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
No, they have taken a great Themepark/Sandbox Hybrid SPRPG and used it to remake DAOC

The RvR model for PvP is just one part of the game. There is so much more to this game then the AvA map. Public quests, open world dungeons and instanced, Phased events for raids, Quest hubs and open world quests. Join the mages guild and get rewarded for exploring. Thats before you get into the combat and one of the least restrictive class system I have seen in a MMO and crafting done in a way that will bring crafting fans to this MMO. Like many you are hung up on one part of the game. To make it worse, TES was far from sandbox.

  Ujirik

Novice Member

Joined: 3/27/07
Posts: 457

4/29/13 9:40:30 AM#168
Elder Scrolls Online is going to be a failure anyway. Doesn't matter if the game launches as P2P or F2P, because it will be going F2P within a year or two regardless. Think SWTOR, but even more of an unfaithful train wreck and you have what ESO will be. It's just not a good idea to release such a generic MMORPG anymore with most developers pushing for innovation.

  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/21/11
Posts: 7246

4/29/13 9:43:53 AM#169
It they were "remaking daoc", the game would have.

1 no instances whatsoever
2 ffa and coop ruleset servers where you can group with anyone and go anywhere
3 non instanced housing
4 rvr that went on for ever and didn't need a reset
5 huge raids that take hundreds of people and last for 8 hours
6 no sharding
7 no phasing
8 no quest hubs, limited number of rare but very long quests
9 bloody massive world
10 fourty + classes

So don't go with the "daoc clone" bullshit unless you've actually played daoc rather than just read some idiot on these forums.

The game has more in common with say the secret world than it does daoc if you look at the feature list.
  Mothanos

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/20/10
Posts: 1832

4/29/13 9:45:00 AM#170

Wish we had more sandbox mmo's that are at least decent to play.

Eve Online - 10/10
Archeage - ??

and AA isnt even a full sandbox either.
Themepark mmo are way to generic these days.
People rush trough it and are done with the game within 2 months.

Sandbox mmo's dont suffer that much from it, as its the players who create the contend.
Kinda fail to see MMO #3432413 in the making and ironicly making the same mistakes as every other studio by making it way to themepark....

In the past i would care if it was theme or sand.....but now i just cant play it anymore.
All the mmo's suffer from the same fatigue after a little bit of playing.

Kill 10 rats
lf tank . healer
/queue for battleground
/craft axe of the bittervet

ashame that studios still dont see that the mmo players vieuw changed 180 degrees.
we are not waiting for WoW 2.0......

Create something that is unique, where players create the contend....
not the scripted shit we have seen for decades now -_-

http://speedtest.net/result/2112016336.png

  znaiika

Novice Member

Joined: 1/31/12
Posts: 202

4/29/13 12:04:25 PM#171
Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
No, they have taken a great Themepark/Sandbox Hybrid SPRPG and used it to remake DAOC

I wish it was themepark/sandbox hybrid SPRPG, with unpredicted events, everything needed crafted, builted and groved.

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Search