Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | ArcheAge | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,644,025 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,669
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » What will I be missing if I avoid Cyrodil completely?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
42 posts found
  azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

4/01/13 2:00:12 AM#21
Originally posted by Anofalye

Beside the stories, landscapes, PvP and some players...

Will I be missing anything else?  Or will somethings be extremely rare?

Will I be able to travel to everywhere else?

Might miss on some of the exciting Darkness Falls style open dungeons they have planned.

One thing people need to understand is that Cyrodill is not a PvP zone inasmuch as it is a brand new zone to explore which features PvP.  Think of it as playing WoW on a PvP server.  Theres going to be lots of PvE elements inside the zone and in theory if its large enough should be able to treat it as a large open world PvP enabled zone.

At least that is how I am going to treat it, not a fan of PvP any longer (for various reasons) but I am interested in some of those elements that spice up PvE.  Whether it be Farming for mats (which already stated some mats are native to Cyrodill), exploring open dungeons and aquiring new gear/loot.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

evilized

Hard Core Member

4/01/13 2:17:24 AM#22
wasn't it discussed that they might do away with the level 50 requirement to access other realm's content? would help things along... make the pvp faction based, sure but there is no need to segregate players for pve.
  Vyllyn

Novice Member

4/01/13 2:55:24 AM#23
There is a cooldown on Campaine switching and u have to spend alliance points and gold to switch.
  Phry

Elite Member

4/01/13 3:01:55 AM#24
Originally posted by Sentnl
Originally posted by jtcgs

Oh pleasseee, the war never came to your homeland in any ES game, look at the last joke of an ES game - Skyrim. Where you could murder key figures in the realm and nothing would happen... where you could murder towns with no dramatic consequence... Ugh, the hypocrisy with ES fanboys...

The only war in Skyrim was between the Imperials and the Stormcloaks...and they DID fight right there in Skyrim. There was no other war taking place. Ugh, the hypocrisy with DaoC fanboys...

I never played daoc, seeing as that's your only argument, I suppose I win, but I will grant you this horse raddish.

I never noticed a war going on between anyone in Skyrim, just a bunch of silly dialogue, and I killed some guys, and I did some quests that didn't have any effect on anything... Tell me again how Skyrim was such an amazing game that ESO wont live up to...

the war in skyrim was optional, if you did join one of the factions though, there were several battles to get involved in, i think the first as a stormcloak was the attack on windhelm, but there were numerous other battle sites scattered around skyrim, mostly outdoors. There was also a tactical map which was literally a table with a map on it, with coloured pins noting positions of armies etc, the first time you see one of those is when you are talking to the jarl of dragon reach and he asks you to help kill the dragon attacking the nearby watchtower.

as someone who has played both DAoC and TES though, i do have several comparisons to make, the first is that although ESO is being compared to DAoC, on closer examination, it lacks a lot of the features that DAoC had to encourage Realm pride, the first of which was that whichever server you were on, you fought together if you chose to join in the RvR battle, i say chose, DAoC oddly enough wasnt primarily focused on PVP, it was as much a PVE game as anything, and the PVP didnt even become an option until players reached a certain level, also ESO will have multiple instances, and i don't mean cyrodil, although that will be split into multiple instances too called 'campaigns' which your assigned to when you create your character in the game, you can move between them, but it takes time, but the world itself outside of Cyrodil is also instanced,  and the people you play alongside in those instances is fluid, dependant on numbers in the game, even so, the people you are playing alongside in each of the PVE areas, won't  all be playing in the same campaigns in cyrodil as you are, which means that the 'cameraderie' so to speak that existed in DAoC, or Realm pride, will be a struggle to achieve in ESO anyway. And this is probably why the lands in ESO are seperated, because their all instanced travelling between Realms isnt that easy, and will involve some kind of zoning/teleport method though i can imagine that Zenimax is probably still working on the details for that one, and thats without getting into all the phasing thats going on in those instances

so while DAoC might not have anything in common with Skyrim, ESO by the looks of things, will have very little in common with either DAoC or Skyrim, beyond a map and maybe, the fact that there are 3 factions in the game

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

4/01/13 10:22:37 AM#25
Dont buy into AvA (PvP in this game) is the only deep part of the game. The PvE is looking really awesome. You have open world 2 man and full team dungeons and instanced dungeons. There is caves and ruins you can explore solo. There is PvE guilds you can join like in TES and it changes how you explore the world. There is public quest like in WAR and Rift. They are also adding phasing events that are for large scale PvE type raids that anyone can join in. So a guild starts one, you can jump in too and get rewarded as well. Once you hit 50 you can explore the other factions maps and the skill level is bumped up and because of this some of the best gear in the game is earned there and its something like an extra 400hr of game play. Also crafting does matter in t he game. They will have best in slot for some items and any item thats is earned in the game can be made better by crafters. They want this to be a crafters dream MMO. Dont play AvA and you still have an awesome PvE game.
  ElRenmazuo

Hard Core Member

4/01/13 1:28:44 PM#26
Originally posted by Nanfoodle
Dont buy into AvA (PvP in this game) is the only deep part of the game. The PvE is looking really awesome. You have open world 2 man and full team dungeons and instanced dungeons. There is caves and ruins you can explore solo. There is PvE guilds you can join like in TES and it changes how you explore the world. There is public quest like in WAR and Rift. They are also adding phasing events that are for large scale PvE type raids that anyone can join in. So a guild starts one, you can jump in too and get rewarded as well. Once you hit 50 you can explore the other factions maps and the skill level is bumped up and because of this some of the best gear in the game is earned there and its something like an extra 400hr of game play. Also crafting does matter in t he game. They will have best in slot for some items and any item thats is earned in the game can be made better by crafters. They want this to be a crafters dream MMO. Dont play AvA and you still have an awesome PvE game.

Ya its but still a shame that a big region like cyrodil is being wasted on making a pvp map.  People who loved oblivion is going to go in cyrodil and be like wtf?  The only way ill be happy about cyrodil is if there are still PvE parts you can do in it like all the caves and dungeons you can explore on my own or with a group while the pvp objectives are going on the outside.

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

4/01/13 1:47:25 PM#27
Originally posted by tkreep

Ya its but still a shame that a big region like cyrodil is being wasted on making a pvp map.  People who loved oblivion is going to go in cyrodil and be like wtf?  The only way ill be happy about cyrodil is if there are still PvE parts you can do in it like all the caves and dungeons you can explore on my own or with a group while the pvp objectives are going on the outside.

You cant have it all, I dont know any MMO out there where it has everything you want. As for the AvA map, not much has been said about content other then PvP. We already know crafting nodes will be on the AvA map that are only gotten in high level content but all crafting supplies at this point are tradable so no one is forced to go there. So we know there is some thing to do there other then PvP. Is there more? My guess is there will be. 

Iselin

The Listener

4/01/13 1:55:03 PM#28
Originally posted by Anofalye

Beside the stories, landscapes, PvP and some players...

Will I be missing anything else?  Or will somethings be extremely rare?

Will I be able to travel to everywhere else?

You'll be missing what the game is all about. Only that

baphamet

Elite Member

4/01/13 2:25:02 PM#29

Originally posted by Nanfoodle Dont buy into AvA (PvP in this game) is the only deep part of the game. The PvE is looking really awesome. You have open world 2 man and full team dungeons and instanced dungeons. There is caves and ruins you can explore solo. There is PvE guilds you can join like in TES and it changes how you explore the world. There is public quest like in WAR and Rift. They are also adding phasing events that are for large scale PvE type raids that anyone can join in. So a guild starts one, you can jump in too and get rewarded as well. Once you hit 50 you can explore the other factions maps and the skill level is bumped up and because of this some of the best gear in the game is earned there and its something like an extra 400hr of game play. Also crafting does matter in t he game. They will have best in slot for some items and any item thats is earned in the game can be made better by crafters. They want this to be a crafters dream MMO. Dont play AvA and you still have an awesome PvE game.
You cant have it all, I dont know any MMO out there where it has everything you want. As for the AvA map, not much has been said about content other then PvP. We already know crafting nodes will be on the AvA map that are only gotten in high level content but all crafting supplies at this point are tradable so no one is forced to go there. So we know there is some thing to do there other then PvP. Is there more? My guess is there will be. 

actually, they have said that there will be pve quests and dungeons just like a pve zone.

not sure how much of that there will be compares to the other pve zones though.

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

4/01/13 6:48:00 PM#30

[mod edit]

They have story elements involving, Molag Bal- I'd imagine the PVE elements are centered around the daedric elements of the story, taken from the official site...

It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom.

Four years ago, in 2E 578, an arcane explosion of energy in the Imperial City set off mystical aftershocks that swept across Nirn. Mages died or went mad. Supernatural abominations from the plane of Oblivion, the Daedra, appeared in greater numbers than ever before. The constellation of the Serpent grew so large that it dominated the night sky.

So began the grand scheme of Molag Bal, Daedric Prince of domination and enslavement. His Dark Anchors, vortexes of evil magic, weaken the barrier between worlds, threatening to merge Nirn and Oblivion into a single, nightmarish hellscape.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason

Karteli

Elite Member

4/01/13 6:54:43 PM#31

From other discussions, each homeworld is about 1/3 - 1/2 of a single WoW Vanilla continent.

Cyrandiil doubles that space, so if you avoid the mandatory endgame PVP area then expect a pretty small game.  Unless you like starting over with other characters from scratch, in which you can see the other factions.

But even if you do all 3 factions without Cyrandiil, you'd still see less than WoW Vanilla (total).

Only adding Cyrandiil would there be any resemblance to explorable space between WoW Vanilla and ESO.  Although it still looks like less.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Maephisto

Novice Member

4/01/13 7:15:37 PM#32

YOU WOULD BE MISSING WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE!!!!

Also, you would be missing:

1. The smug satisfaction of bettering your opponent.
  2. satisfaction from working with a team.
  3. The rush of adrenaline you get from a good fight
  4. The good feeling you get when you realize you have improved your skill over time.

Sentnl

Novice Member

4/01/13 8:01:23 PM#33

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

Neherun

Hard Core Member

4/02/13 2:52:25 AM#34

Well, I am making this by the assumption that the OP cares little for PvP:

Some known features you'll miss out on;

- Cyrodil only quests

- Crafting materials only found from Cyrodil

- Public dungeons & their contents only available through PvP zones

- Cyrodil PvP skill tree

Caliburn101

Novice Member

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

4/03/13 4:07:56 PM#35
Originally posted by DavisFlight
You'll be missing the only decent sounding part of the game.

This.

ESO wont be some roleplaying jizz fest, it's hopefully going to have some competitive RvRvR (Although I'm not sure how their.. cloud server thing will effect that)

You will be missing out on the pleasure of interracting with some people who characterise other people's idea of fun in an MMO as 'some roleplaying jizz fest'.

So clearly you'll be in for some dissapointment...

... unless of course you get to kill them - in which case you may enjoy the catharsis involved...

Caliburn101

Novice Member

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

4/03/13 4:11:08 PM#36
Originally posted by Maephisto

4. The good feeling you get when you realize you have improved your skill over time.

All of which a great, great many people also get from raiding and difficult PvE encounters.

PvP contests are great fun - but they are not the only fun to be had.

PvP junkies just like to give that illusion the semblance of truth whenever they post on forums...

Qallidexz

Novice Member

4/03/13 9:27:17 PM#37
Originally posted by Caliburn101

All of which a great, great many people also get from raiding and difficult PvE encounters.

OHHH YEA! Nothing like the satisfaction of killing a brainless piece of code... It's what gets me outta bed in the morning. LOL

Qallidexz

Novice Member

4/03/13 9:28:07 PM#38
Originally posted by Maephisto

Best Post on the forums right here...

Sentnl

Novice Member

4/03/13 10:06:29 PM#39
Originally posted by Qallidexz

OHHH YEA! Nothing like the satisfaction of killing a brainless piece of code... It's what gets me outta bed in the morning. LOL

Hey hey hey... Don't go that far.

There have been a couple bosses over the many years which have left my hands shaking, adrenaline, made me get up and walk away from the pc in frustration, and cheer over vent.

Some bosses were really god damn hard. Far from brainless pieces of code :p

~~

On the same hand, many pvp encounters over the years have felt like I was fighting brainless pieces of human "code"...

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

Qallidexz

Novice Member

4/03/13 10:21:49 PM#40
Originally posted by Qallidexz

On the same hand, many pvp encounters over the years have felt like I was fighting brainless pieces of human "code"...

Yea, but at least in that example, you KNOW there's someone on the other end banging their keyboard and saying: "OH GODDAMNIT NOT AGAIN!!! WHAT THE HELL MAN!?!?"

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search