Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,775,962 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,191,400
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Will the real ESO please stand-up?

13 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
252 posts found
  ElRenmazuo

Elite Member

3/29/13 5:56:48 PM#41
Originally posted by rygard49
Originally posted by tkreep

For Group 1, ESO is a familiar dish being cooked with a different recipe. Though they desperately want to eat, they fear how it will taste, and therefore refuse it before they've even taken a bite. They're missing the chance to possibly expand the list of flavors that they enjoy, and their arguments on these forums are the equivalents of screaming at the dinner table until daddy fixes it.

I don't respect any argument that attempts to force a game designer to change their vision for how a game should be. Likewise, I don't respect a game designer that compromizes on their vision in order to appease the complaints of people who haven't experienced the finished work.

People in group 1 prolly already tasted it with other games like warhammer or daoc and didnt enjoy it. 

Wait... Warhammer? Wtf? That's not even close to the system under scrutiny in this game. Get out of here if you're going to use that game as an example why ESO needs to change. You might as well say you hated STO, therefore ESO is going to suck.

Warhammer was also RvR focused and made by devs of daoc.  And it seems like Cyrodil is the same thing as any of the RvR maps in warhammer.  But it was understandable why warhammer was like that because its warhammer.  ES is totaly different type of series.

Well, first off, Matt Firor (the only Mythic dev working on this title) didn't work on Warhammer. He was nowhere near that project. Second, Warhammer is so vastly different from what's been announced as being implemented for ESO that, literally, the only thing similar is that players kill other players.

Still bethesda shouldnt have handed their IP to these devs that clearly is just using it as an excuse to make daoc 2 with ES skin. Bethesda just analy screwed their fanbase with this.

Oh. The flawless counter argument of "Yeah ,but still...". I tip my hat, and shall concede to you, good sir. But before I exit this debate, I'll share an anecdote with you. It's a tale of ice-cream, and a petulant boy who would only eat vanilla:

This poor, misguided youth wouldn't touch chocolate in any form; he detested the stuff. So imagine his utter horror when, one fine summer's day, his father took him to the ice-cream parlor and bought him a vanilla cone with (gasp) chocolate syrup. Oh, how the boy cried and lambasted his father for this unacceptable betrayal. Chocolate!? On vanilla!? Madness!!

The boy refused to eat. In protest, he held his cone and pointed out all of it's flaws to his father for most of the walk home. What would have been an amazing ice-cream cone had been ruined by his father's careless choices. Couldn't he see that he was ruining something special?

Then it happened. Mid-stride, the boys toe found a crack in the cement, and down he began to topple. His father reached for his hand to grab him, and, in so doing, unintentionally forced the chocolate covered vanilla ice-cream into the boys mouth. At first, terror gripped the child. He actually had the vile concoction in his mouth! He prepared to spit, but hesitated. Then something marvelous happened.

Working the flavors back and forth in his mouth, he realized that the chocolate actually enhanced the vanilla. Unbelievable!, thought the boy. This is actually... better than vanilla by itself! And the rest of the walk home he told his smiling father all about how much he enjoyed vanilla ice-cream, with chocolate syrup on top.

And another thing, I will use your little story as an analogy to the game.  In this case lets say the vanilla ice cream is ESO and the chocolate fudge or whatever topping u want is the element that allows us to interact with players of other factions.  So pretty much they want to make a ES without the topping just plain vanilla which is boring because i would like toppings to make things more interesting.

Qallidexz

Novice Member

3/29/13 5:57:06 PM#42

While a full Skyrim-online, sandboxey PvE-focused game, MIGHT have worked, the fact of the matter is, that's not what they chose to do with Elder Scrolls Online, and so, they build it from the ground up to be something different... Trying to go back and mush it into being that now, is simply not going to work. It will hurt the game, and ultimately, hurt Zenimax Media, who also owns the company that makes our Elder Scrolls Games...

I don't know abou t you guys, but I don't want Elder Scrolls 6 to be a low-budget piece of trash, because some Elder Scrolls players decided to use their voice to try and turn Elder Scrolls Online into something it was not, and never intended to be, and then wreck the game completely... We have ourselves to blame for this current state of indecisiveness fogginess that ZOS currently finds themselves in... I say, we let them make the game they intneded to make in the first place, and leave them alone.

Qallidexz

Novice Member

3/29/13 6:11:28 PM#43
Originally posted by Maelwydd
Originally posted by pokrak

I will play it for pvp as many others and if they break it at some point they will loose half of their population...

Lets play the numbers game (unable to verify sales of TES games, just numbers found from a few sources, might be wrong but you get the point)...

DAOC subscribers/players roughly 250,000.

TES subscribers/players over 7 million (Oblivion 3mil and Skyrim 4mil).

If you were making a game to make a profit who would you want to piss off less?

Subscribers/Players... I lol'd. Cuz those are the same thing, right? Also, DAoC had 250k AT PEAK... Over the course of the last 11 yeaars, DAOC has had MLLIONS upon MILLIONS of players... I'm sick of the Single-player RPG crowd hearingt this one statistic and thinking that it's the total number of RvR fans in the world, rofl. Please. RvR has been in-demand for YEARS now, and by millions of players willing to pay $15/month. Good luck getting $15 a month from the SPRPG crowd once they've blown thru all your content...

Edit: ALSO to say TES has 7 million players because 3 million bought Oblivion, and 4 million bought Skyrim? Are you joking? 80% of that is overlap, AT LEAST... True Elder Scrolls fans would have BOUGHT Skyrim for sure (I myself played a good amount of Skyrim), so no, they don't have 7 million fans, they have 4. FOUR. And most of them probably wouldn't pay $15 amonth for an MMO, because the concept is foreign to them, and they're already spending $10 amonth, or whatever, for X-Box Live, so they can play Call of Duty. lol

Cochran1

Apprentice Member

"Fish can't sit down cause they got no laps!!"

3/29/13 6:13:18 PM#44
Thing is they aren't trying anything different, they're copying a game that a handful of them helped make over 12 years ago. If they actually wanted to do something different why not actually take, not what made the IP a great single player game, but what made it a great RPG and integrate it into a MMO. With all of the posts about wanting something different and new, it's hard to understand why people still get excited when we see devs rehashing the same old mechanics from a decade ago.
vizzledrix Xfire Miniprofile
  Ryowulf

Hard Core Member

3/29/13 6:18:24 PM#45

I am a little in both camps, but what I really want is a game where I can play with my friends and we can all enjoy it together no matter which race we want to play.  I even think we should be able to group even if we are in different factions (just not in faction pvp).

Love it or hate it, in GW2 I can play with any other race. I can play with people of different levels. I can even play with people on different servers (except in rvr).

In Skyrim I could be any race go, anywhere in the world and join any faction (assume I met the req.)

I guess its okay though, because ESo is planned to be a niche game (rvrvr focused).  In order to make a profit with the smaller player base its a good thing they didn't spend a ton of money in development....

hikaru77

Hard Core Member

3/29/13 6:20:39 PM#46
This is easy, It will happen exactly the same that did happen with SWTOR; TES fans will cry and scream all over the internet because ESO is not like a ES game, ¨They should have make TES VI and not this ******¨. After a month only the MMO players will be playing the game and a few TES fans, while everyone else gonna spend their internet life talking about why TESO is a huge fail, and one of the worst game of the TES series. Thats what gonna happen, im my case im happy that so far the game will be a PvP focused MMO.    
  Iselin

The Listener

OP  3/29/13 6:27:01 PM#47
Originally posted by Cochran1
Thing is they aren't trying anything different, they're copying a game that a handful of them helped make over 12 years ago. If they actually wanted to do something different why not actually take, not what made the IP a great single player game, but what made it a great RPG and integrate it into a MMO. With all of the posts about wanting something different and new, it's hard to understand why people still get excited when we see devs rehashing the same old mechanics from a decade ago.

How do you know? Have you actually AvA'd in this game already? It could be very, very different from all you know.

rygard49

Novice Member

3/29/13 6:30:11 PM#48
Originally posted by Iselin

For Group 1, ESO is a familiar dish being cooked with a different recipe. Though they desperately want to eat, they fear how it will taste, and therefore refuse it before they've even taken a bite. They're missing the chance to possibly expand the list of flavors that they enjoy, and their arguments on these forums are the equivalents of screaming at the dinner table until daddy fixes it.

I don't respect any argument that attempts to force a game designer to change their vision for how a game should be. Likewise, I don't respect a game designer that compromizes on their vision in order to appease the complaints of people who haven't experienced the finished work.

That's very good Rygard. That's how I feel.

I freely admit that they could have gone the other way and developed a mostly PvE MMO that would have been very close to Skyrim. I wouldn't have been as excited if they'd chosen that route, but I would have played it anyway...at least for a while.

But I have very little respect for developers who back away from their vision to maximize sales. They chose a way to do it. Now they should stick to their vision.

Someone else said something about smoke and mirrors to placate the TES fans... unfortunately it does look that way at the moment.

That's the nature of our industry now. That's what happens when art becomes more a business than a form of creative expression.

Everyone says WoW caters to the lowest common denominator in order to maximize sales, and that's why it was successful. I disagree. WoW released into a market with relatively (compared to today) few consumers. It was their execution of their vision for the game that vaulted them to success. I wish a AAA title would stick to it's guns for once instead of forcing change through fear of losing sales.

ElRenmazuo

Elite Member

3/29/13 6:31:19 PM#49
Originally posted by Qallidexz

I will play it for pvp as many others and if they break it at some point they will loose half of their population...

Lets play the numbers game (unable to verify sales of TES games, just numbers found from a few sources, might be wrong but you get the point)...

Subscribers/Players... I lol'd. Cuz those are the same thing, right? Also, DAoC had 250k AT PEAK... Over the course of the last 11 yeaars, DAOC has had MLLIONS upon MILLIONS of players... I'm sick of the Single-player RPG crowd hearingt this one statistic and thinking that it's the total number of RvR fans in the world, rofl. Please. RvR has been in-demand for YEARS now, and by millions of players willing to pay $15/month. Good luck getting $15 a month from the SPRPG crowd once they've blown thru all your content...

At least he brought up a link to show some proof where is your proof of claiming those millions because I dont realy hear much about daoc especially since its subs are in the millions, if it was in the millions people would be talking about it as much as they talk about WoW in almost every website that hs to do with video games.  Also PvE mmorpgs have more subscribers than any of the RvR mmorpgs.  And even if they are able to get 1/4 of the player fanbase of the elder scrolls series it would still be in the millions which is a lot more than 250k as that posters stats show.  And what makes you think they will go the P2P with 15 a month after seeing mmos with IPs like Star Wars and GW2 and pretty much all mmos this generation going the B2P or F2P with in game shops and finding more success out of it considering most of the ES IP fans are on consoles that are more used to microtransactions in games and majority are against monthly subs.  There are still more people demanding more PvE than there are people who demand RvR.  All you seem to do is insult others and their post and make immature comments but I dont find that surprising from a PvPers.  You guys have become so predictable with your whole carebear namecalling thing that doesnt realy hurt no ones feelings.  People who loves using the term carebear is prolly a punk in real life.

Sovrath

Elite Member

3/29/13 6:34:31 PM#50

Edit: ALSO to say TES has 7 million players because 3 million bought Oblivion, and 4 million bought Skyrim? Are you joking? 80% of that is overlap, AT LEAST... True Elder Scrolls fans would have BOUGHT Skyrim for sure (I myself played a good amount of Skyrim), so no, they don't have 7 million fans, they have 4. FOUR. And most of them probably wouldn't pay $15 amonth for an MMO, because the concept is foreign to them, and they're already spending $10 amonth, or whatever, for X-Box Live, so they can play Call of Duty. lol

Your first point is of course correct. However to say that Elder Scrolls players (as was alluded to earlier) are a minority is also pretty wrong. As far as TES having 7 million players becasue x bought y and z, well, That wasn't quite right either. as was posted earlier, Skyrim had 10 million on all platforms at the time of that article.

As far as what this game is being developed as (as was posted earlier) I know full well what it is being developed as. A themepark mmo. That much was clear from when I played it. Others will see this as well. It's a shame but there it is.

Iselin

The Listener

OP  3/29/13 6:36:42 PM#51

At least he brought up a link to show some proof where is your proof of claiming those millions because I dont realy hear much about daoc especially since its subs are in the millions, if it was in the millions people would be talking about it as much as they talk about WoW in almost every website that hs to do with video games.  Also PvE mmorpgs have more subscribers than any of the RvR mmorpgs.  And even if they are able to get 1/4 of the player fanbase of the elder scrolls series it would still be in the millions which is a lot more than 250k as that posters stats show.  And what makes you think they will go the P2P with 15 a month after seeing mmos with IPs like Star Wars and GW2 and pretty much all mmos this generation going the B2P or F2P with in game shops and finding more success out of it considering most of the ES IP fans are on consoles that are more used to microtransactions in games and majority are against monthly subs.  There are still more people demanding more PvE than there are people who demand RvR.  All you seem to do is insult others and their post and make immature comments but I dont find that surprising from a PvPers.  You guys have become so predictable with your whole carebear namecalling thing that doesnt realy hurt no ones feelings.  People who loves using the term carebear is prolly a punk in real life.

We get it. Your crowd is bigger than our crowd and you're going to beat us over the head with your consoles.

Can you not come up with a better argument than game design by mob rule? 

jtcgs

Advanced Member

3/29/13 6:36:46 PM#52

What do you think?

I think your post only holds up if there can be only 2 possible types of people. Which there isnt. Shocking eh?

I am both #1 and #2 and THAT is the reason why I dont think this game has to be the way it is. There have been MMORPGs more like TES than this game is. The only reason they are making it this way is due to their OWN limitations as programmers.

I dont want an MMORPG like TES because I am a TES player more than an MMO player. I want an MMO like TES because MMORPGs that are not made wrapped in a tiny little box are far more fun to play and actually FIT the IP. There was no point in their using it other than to use its popularity to try to bring back a game design so few care about they couldnt get any funding to make a sequal to it.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Iselin

The Listener

OP  3/29/13 6:39:00 PM#53
Originally posted by jtcgs

What do you think?

I think your post only holds up if there can be only 2 possible types of people. Which there isnt. Shocking eh?

I am both #1 and #2 and THAT is the reason why I dont think this game has to be the way it is. There have been MMORPGs more like TES than this game is. The only reason they are making it this way is due to their OWN limitations as programmers.

I dont want an MMORPG like TES because I am a TES player more than an MMO player. I want an MMO like TES because MMORPGs that are not made wrapped in a tiny little box are far more fun to play and actually FIT the IP. There was no point in their using it other than to use its popularity to try to bring back a game design so few care about they couldnt get any funding to make a sequal to it.

Actually 1 + 2 was choice number 3

I get it...it's just a game to you. One made by programmers of limited ability. Too bad it's not being made by the gods of programming... btw, who are the gods of programming and which MMO have they made recently?

ElRenmazuo

Elite Member

3/29/13 6:46:19 PM#54

We get it. Your crowd is bigger than our crowd and you're going to beat us over the head with your consoles.

Can you not come up with a better argument than game design by mob rule? 

Ummm do you know how bussiness is made by big game companys...because a lot of the design is based on marketing statistics.  Are you new to mmorpgs?  Doesnt it make sense to make a game that majority will enjoy than a minority and that makes them more money to improve the game further.

jtcgs

Advanced Member

3/29/13 6:46:37 PM#55

What do you think?

I get it...it's just a game to you. One made by programmers of limited ability. Too bad it's not being made by the gods of programming... btw, who are the gods of programming and which MMO have they made recently?

Then doesnt that make you yet another choice, one who doesnt actually care about the IP just as long you get a chance to relive your MMO past because you look backwards with rosecolored glasses at one single MMO.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Iselin

The Listener

OP  3/29/13 6:51:33 PM#56

What do you think?

Then doesnt that make you yet another choice, one who doesnt actually care about the IP just as long you get a chance to relive your MMO past because you look backwards with rosecolored glasses at one single MMO.

Hmm... I've played at least 15 MMOs since DAoC. And I don't wear glasses. The genre has advanced, things have moved on. It's only you and people like you who seem to think this will be exactly like DAoC. My imagination is not that limited. I can imagine something that says 2013 and is much better. But then, I'm not assuming programmers with limitations, you are.

Good try though.

jtcgs

Advanced Member

3/29/13 6:58:38 PM#57

Hmm... I've played at least 15 MMOs since DAoC. And I don't wear glasses. The genre has advanced, things have moved on. It's only you and people like you who seem to think this will be exactly like DAoC. My imagination is not that limited. I can imagine something that says 2013 and is much better. But then, I'm not assuming programmers with limitations, you are.

Good try though.

Its ok, I love you dispite your flaws.

See, there are MMOrpgs, then there are mmoRPGs.

DaoC, WoW, Warhammer and their ilk are MMOrpgs.

UO, EQ1&2, AC1, SWG....they are mmoRPGs. Far less hand holding, funneling and being needed to be told how to have "pride"...

TES is a RPG, it should be made into an mmoRPG where people are free to be WHO they want and HOW they want to play, not have their hand held, not be told who they are, how they are going to play, where they can fight...not be limited.

I fully understand that the staple MMO player NEEDS to be told where to go and what to do, need that carrot hanging in front of their faces...and thats fine...just dont bastardize an exsisting IP made for people that DONT NEED it...and the genre sure as hell doesnt need another MMOrpg overrun with themepark so much even its PvP is themepark.

Deadlyne

Advanced Member

3/29/13 7:03:47 PM#58
The only thing on your side that I have an issue with is that you think chatting with the enemy makes no sense in design model #2.  I like to be able to talk with my enemies.  Sure it may turn into arguments sometimes but thats what /ignore is for.  You might say but then people will be spies and give out battle plans and such.  That's fine, if there are spies there are spies, thats just another dimension to the game.  I don't see why the game has to be hard coded so opposing factions are never able to understand each others words.  But that's just me I suppose, the majority must not mind so much because I believe WoW is still like that.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

Cochran1

Apprentice Member

"Fish can't sit down cause they got no laps!!"

3/29/13 7:13:04 PM#59

How do you know? Have you actually AvA'd in this game already? It could be very, very different from all you know.

Three faction RvR doesn't sound even remotely familiar to you, because it does to me. They're trying to capture the "glory days" of their development career, because they don't want to step out of their comfort zone. I've said it before, the fact that Bethesda wants nothing to do with this game speaks volumes about what Zenimax wanted to do with the IP in the first place.

The only reason they're calling it AvA is because RvR is copywritten. Other than that it's the same core mechanic in a zonewide conflict.

vizzledrix Xfire Miniprofile
  jtcgs

Advanced Member

3/29/13 7:14:51 PM#60

Three faction RvR doesn't sound even remotely familiar to you, because it does to me. They're trying to capture the "glory days" of their development career, because they don't want to step out of their comfort zone. I've said it before, the fact that Bethesda wants nothing to do with this game speaks volumes about what Zenimax wanted to do with the IP in the first place.

The only reason they're calling it AvA is because RvR is copywritten. Other than that it's the same core mechanic in a zonewide conflict.

+1 internets

13 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search