Trending Games | Landmark | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,323 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,277
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Clearing up the *new* Faction Lock

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
112 posts found
  Nikopol

Novice Member

Brought to you by... The Spirit of Nikopol.

3/21/13 11:54:35 AM#21
Originally posted by azarhal
Originally posted by Phry
Originally posted by rygard49

From the Massively interview:

"Sage assuaged most of my fears, however, when he mentioned that once you hit level 50 and decide to play in another alliance's areas, you'll be able to play with friends in that faction. So at the endgame, things begin to open up and you can group up, chat, and run dungeons with players of other factions. The one area where things remain separate is, of course, the Alliance War in Cyrodiil."

Seems like conflicting information to me.

Sounds more like the OP misunderstood what Sage was saying. Once you reach 50, you can then explore the rest of Cyrodil effectively, when you go into the other areas, it won't be just with other members of your own faction, i don't really know where the OP got that from tbh, the fact that you can group up with members of other factions just clarifies that at 50 you will be able to play with other level 50 members of different factions, in their, or your own zones for dungeon runs etc, any interaction in other faction areas will be of the none PVP kind, regardless of level.

The OP took his information from a video interview with one of the dev, where the dev especially said that you will only see players of your faction in those level 50+ zones. I don't remember which of the video this was, but I clearly remember it being mentioned.

The massively previewer missunderstood.

Yep, in the interview by Yogscast, creature combat designer Maria Aliprando  very specifically said what the OP said in his post. That's first-hand info. So either the massively previewer misunderstood, or there's indeed conflicting information from the developers.

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

3/21/13 12:11:41 PM#22
Originally posted by Livnthedream
Where is the almighty lore push for perma death that every TES game that has come before has had?

LOL permadeath MMO. Ya thats an option every MMOer is looking for. 3 years playing a char all geared up with crafting all done and you lag out and die to a level 10 wolf. Thats what every MMO needs lol.

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

3/21/13 12:14:38 PM#23

"Sage assuaged most of my fears, however, when he mentioned that once you hit level 50 and decide to play in another alliance's areas, you'll be able to play with friends in that faction. So at the endgame, things begin to open up and you can group up, chat, and run dungeons with players of other factions. The one area where things remain separate is, of course, the Alliance War in Cyrodiil."

Sounds more like the OP misunderstood what Sage was saying. Once you reach 50, you can then explore the rest of Cyrodil effectively, when you go into the other areas, it won't be just with other members of your own faction, i don't really know where the OP got that from tbh, the fact that you can group up with members of other factions just clarifies that at 50 you will be able to play with other level 50 members of different factions, in their, or your own zones for dungeon runs etc, any interaction in other faction areas will be of the none PVP kind, regardless of level.

This has been cleared up in a few interviews that came out yesterday. You can not team with other factions. Only players of your faction that have earned the right to goto the other factions map will be the people you can team with.

rygard49

Novice Member

3/21/13 12:18:04 PM#24
Originally posted by Nanfoodle

This has been cleared up in a few interviews that came out yesterday. You can not team with other factions. Only players of your faction that have earned the right to goto the other factions map will be the people you can team with.

If that's the case, then faction lock remains intact. This pleases me.

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

3/21/13 12:22:15 PM#25

Yup, I was about to drop this game. This makes me very happy as well, faction pride and AvA remains intact.

Mardukk

Spotlight Poster

3/21/13 12:22:46 PM#26

I hated the idea of faction lock as I have no love for DAOC or PvP.  This seems like a fairly nice idea as something for PvE'rs to work towards.  This new idea appears to be a good middle ground for both parties.

I'll never understand why everyone hates open world PvP (both PvPer's and PvE people seem to hate it)...I don't mind it.

This was a very smart move on their part as this may help the devs with content creation or lack there of.  The never ending challenge for themepark PvE.

Kaneth

Elite Member

3/21/13 12:34:55 PM#27
Originally posted by Mardukk

I hated the idea of faction lock as I have no love for DAOC or PvP.  This seems like a fairly nice idea as something for PvE'rs to work towards.  This new idea appears to be a good middle ground for both parties.

I'll never understand why everyone hates open world PvP (both PvPer's and PvE people seem to hate it)...I don't mind it.

This was a very smart move on their part as this may help the devs with content creation or lack there of.  The never ending challenge for themepark PvE.

Because people tend to prefer to have control over whether they want to pvp or not. DAoC showed that pvp can be a popular option. as long as there is a point to it, and people can decide whether to participate or not. Open World PvP tends to be unpopular because of the inherent lack of choice that goes along with that type of mechanic. Asheron's Call had a decent enough solution with the "going red" option on pve worlds though.

More on topic:

I like this new idea they've brought forth. They've effectively extended traditional PvE and turned it into an elder game mechanic, and added a point to it in the aspect of gear acquisition. It'll be interesting if rare crafting materials also wind up in the unlocked factional areas. It's a nice nod to explorers and completionists as well.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

3/21/13 12:43:14 PM#28

Yup, I was about to drop this game. This makes me very happy as well, faction pride and AvA remains intact.

This was good news to hear, thanks for clarifying that, I was confused previously by the other information.

But like every compromise, no one really gets what they want, just some subset of it which they decide to "live with."

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
"People can do with their money what they want. But... that doesn't make it smart" - COORS
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

3/21/13 12:44:46 PM#29
Originally posted by Kaneth

Because people tend to prefer to have control over whether they want to pvp or not. DAoC showed that pvp can be a popular option. as long as there is a point to it, and people can decide whether to participate or not. Open World PvP tends to be unpopular because of the inherent lack of choice that goes along with that type of mechanic. Asheron's Call had a decent enough solution with the "going red" option on pve worlds though.

More on topic:

I like this new idea they've brought forth. They've effectively extended traditional PvE and turned it into an elder game mechanic, and added a point to it in the aspect of gear acquisition. It'll be interesting if rare crafting materials also wind up in the unlocked factional areas. It's a nice nod to explorers and completionists as well.

This was covered in an interview yesterday. Seems crafting materials you collect at level 1 will still be viable to craft high end gear. Its what you add to the base items that mess with it somehow. High level content will have more of this type of crafting mats (AvA, high level dungeons and the other faction maps) but crafters dont have to do that content to get them as they will be tradable as well.

Kaneth

Elite Member

3/21/13 12:46:58 PM#30
Originally posted by Kaneth

More on topic:

This was covered in an interview yesterday. Seems crafting materials you collect at level 1 will still be viable to craft high end gear. Its what you add to the base items that mess with it somehow. High level content will have more of this type of crafting mats (AvA, high level dungeons and the other faction maps) but crafters dont have to do that content to get them as they will be tradable as well.

Thanks! Missed that part of the interview apparently.

Sovrath

Elite Member

3/21/13 12:47:42 PM#31
Originally posted by jfoytek

This is a crock,  Every faction should have resources more prevalent in there area and we should have to take risks to enter there area to harvest these resources to make the best crafted items....

They should see us clear as day and make every attempt to kill us....

Our deaths should warp us back to our home land far from where we were killed....  And a certain amount of items in your inventory like atleast resources should drop and be lootable....

This is how you create good open world pvp that translates into never ending end game content...

But no lets Instance copy these worlds and only allow access to certain kingdoms so all the PvE carebears can have lots of content!

True but since when are the elder scrolls games hardcore pvp games?

All of this just sounds to me like some pvp players were just hoping to have a good pvp game regardless of where the IP was before.

jfoytek

Novice Member

3/21/13 12:52:30 PM#32
Originally posted by Sovrath

This is a crock,  Every faction should have resources more prevalent in there area and we should have to take risks to enter there area to harvest these resources to make the best crafted items....

Our deaths should warp us back to our home land far from where we were killed....  And a certain amount of items in your inventory like atleast resources should drop and be lootable....

This is how you create good open world pvp that translates into never ending end game content...

But no lets Instance copy these worlds and only allow access to certain kingdoms so all the PvE carebears can have lots of content!

All of this just sounds to me like some pvp players were just hoping to have a good pvp game regardless of where the IP was before.

Since when are Elder Scrolls games Multiplayer?  Its an MMO why does the PvE crowd hold the rights to everything? 

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

Qallidexz

Novice Member

3/21/13 12:55:20 PM#33
Yea, obviously the info is  conflicting, but one comes from an itnerpretation of what Paul Sage said from that douchebag from Massively, and the other is directly from Maria Aliprando, so likely, what she says, stands... And if that's the case, I guess I'm Ok with that. Sorry Matt.
  Nanfoodle

Elite Member

3/21/13 12:56:47 PM#34

Since when are Elder Scrolls games Multiplayer?  Its an MMO why does the PvE crowd hold the rights to everything? 

Best PvP game of all time, DAoC. ESO will have a focused PvP map where all PvP happens to help push the game to epic large scale wars. You like PvP this is the game for you. Let the PvEers have their space to.

immodium

Elite Member

3/21/13 12:57:54 PM#35

Most PvP-centric games tend to be shallower? That's my experience with PvP games. Yours may differ though. I do think the PvE crowd is a bigger market within MMO's.

jfoytek

Novice Member

3/21/13 1:00:33 PM#36

Best PvP game of all time, DAoC. ESO will have a focused PvP map where all PvP happens to help push the game to epic large scale wars. You like PvP this is the game for you. Let the PvEers have their space to.

Sorry but I disagree best pvp games:

1) Shadowbane

2) Ultima Online Pre Trammel

3) Wurm Online (If you can get past the lack of animation)

4) DaoC

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

Sovrath

Elite Member

3/21/13 1:02:01 PM#37

Why yes,  "they aren't mulitplayer". But making an elderscrolls game doesn't automatically flag it for a "pvp game".

The whole argument of a good many elder scrolls fans was that they wanted the freedom to go and explore the content. Since traditionally this content is pve (as you said, solo games) it seems weird that one might say "w00t! We can finally have an elder scrolls game! And you know what that means? PVPPVPVPVPVPV!!!!

Whether pvp is added or not it doesn't speak to the thrust of these games which is freedom to explore and make your character the way you want.

But from the sounds of the more vocal pvp players, It really didn't seem like they were excited over "elder scrolls" so much as the 3 way faction pvp.

Sovrath

Elite Member

3/21/13 1:04:35 PM#38

1) Shadowbane

4) DaoC

And I would say "no" lineage 2.

sapphen

Novice Member

3/21/13 1:05:30 PM#39
Originally posted by Skooma2

Before:  1/3 world pve map.  Get to level 50 and pvp in Cyrodil or roll an alt.

Now:  100% world pve map.  Get to level 50 and a) pvp in Cyrodiil, b) roll an alt, c) explore other alliance areas.

Before:  Disappointed TES fan vowing not to buy the game.

Now:  Going to pre-order as soon as it can be done.

That's a simple way to put it and one of the reasons why I agree with OP, it is a brillant idea ~ although I'm not sure I personally like it.  I would rather pick a race then a faction BUT this compromise is respectful and I will be supporting the game.

I hope that in the future they add PvP objectives into these areas and perhaps even have a faction-switch questline down the road.  This game is starting to feel more like a TES spin-off and less like a DAoC knock-off (even though I think this idea is closely related to DAoC's co-op servers).

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

3/21/13 1:05:44 PM#40

1) Shadowbane

4) DaoC

Shadowbane died so fast I am not sure it can count. As for the others... thats not this game. You want open world PvP everywhere, go find a game that does that. This game wanted large scale PvP battles, not little battles everywhere. Also its a model that lets PvEers have their fun as well. Not trying to use the broken flag system game 2 and 3 uses on your list. Pure PvEers hate the flag system. Its to easy to force someone to flag who does not want to PvE. As for the order you put the list great but every PvP game that has come out in the end gets compaired on every forum to DAoC. Cant say the same for your top 3 lol.

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search