Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,627 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,966
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » What would appease disgruntled Elder Scrolls fans?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
85 posts found
  Caliburn101

Novice Member

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

3/02/13 7:01:38 AM#41

I think  a lot of criticism levelled at the game due to IP purists is misaimed - it's an MMO, and MMO elements preclude certain solo-game tropes.

A lot of DAoC fans are hyped to see the style of PvP as-is because they see it as a 'successor' to their much beloved MMO regardless of IP.

What few see - in the over-hastily weilding their brushes to tar anyone but their own 'faction' is that the two sets of expectations could have been melded in such a way as to complement each other rather than spoil one or the other...

... What would appease ES fans is some redress in this regard - as it is their love of the freedom to explore which has been sacrificed to facilitate the PvP as Zenimax have decided to set it up currently.

There are several interesting suggestions on this particular issue which, contrary to the claims of the various 'agents provocateur', 'doomsayers' and ' "you can't ever change anything" beta-personalities' lose on the forums, could be done, even at this stage.

For the other issues - the likelihood of such factions forming, the lore-correctness of such a period of rampant 'mayfly emperors' etc. - well, something had to give, and these to my mind aren't game breakers.

Small beer compared to 'invisible walls' in terms of ruining one's immersion and enjoyment while playing.

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

3/02/13 7:10:18 AM#42

How can you have a true personna.......and be all things to all people.

Be the vision in Matt Firors head....when I started the project and "they will come".

Vossik

Novice Member

3/02/13 7:51:11 AM#43
What would appease disgruntled Elder Scrolls fans? Bethesda to announce a new TES game. That might help cut the whining dead weight these IP nazis bring to this community.

Sideras

Novice Member

3/02/13 8:06:07 AM#44
Originally posted by ozmono

I hear the game being called a wow clone (which I think is silly in the least) and more recently and probably slightly more accurately a daoc spiritual successor that only has elder scrolls lore and nothing else in common with the IP. Now rather than this crap spilling out into every other thread I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to it. What could (within reason please) Zenimax have done to be more faithful to the IP?

They are butthurt because they like elves and their friends like lizards, basically. And because they don't know the meaning of spin-off.

Ryowulf

Hard Core Member

3/02/13 8:29:32 AM#45

Its not that hard.

1. You let any race join any faction.

2. You have faction clothes (like TSW). It you wear them you can attack and be attacked by anyone else wearing their faction clothes. Guards and stuff from enemy cities would also attack you, etc.  However if you aren't wearing the faction clothes you can come and go where you like.

There fixed.  You can be any race to play with friends. You have open world pvp without ganking lvl'ers or pve types. You can still have a zone of open warfare.  And players can explore as much as they want.

walltar

Novice Member

3/02/13 4:41:40 PM#46
Originally posted by Ryowulf

Its not that hard.

2. You have faction clothes (like TSW). It you wear them you can attack and be attacked by anyone else wearing their faction clothes. Guards and stuff from enemy cities would also attack you, etc.  However if you aren't wearing the faction clothes you can come and go where you like.

3. You totally destroy any feeling of faction coherence and pride. Now you have three bland factions and you don't have to make no decisions.

There fixed.  You can be any race to play with friends. You have open world pvp without ganking lvl'ers or pve types. You can still have a zone of open warfare.  And players can explore as much as they want.

There fixed. You can now play booring GW2 RWR with no faction pride at all. You won't hate your enemy ... your enemy is same race as you. If they do anything with this game i hope they wont do anything like this.

Maephisto

Novice Member

3/02/13 4:49:27 PM#47

Nothing.

Whining and arguing on this forum is more important than getting the game "they" want.

jtcgs

Advanced Member

3/02/13 5:01:44 PM#48

What could (within reason please) Zenimax have done to be more faithful to the IP?

Within reason...not made it a DaoC clone or mess with the lore to fit the DaoC changes.

We already have had MMOs PROVE you can have race/faction combinations OPEN and not have mouthbreathing moronic players suddenly not being able to know who is the enemy and not be able to PvP because their tiny minds cant figure it out like they believe is the case (yes its on their site)

We have already had MMOs PROVE you can chose a faction AFTER character creation so the idea they need to be locked is MORONIC and un-TES like.

We have already had MMOs give us ACTUAL wars between factions without magical walls preventing it from spilling over out of a mystical place everyone is fighting over that is not tied to their factions lands. The very idea of factions being close to the other factions is NOT TES at all.

They are not even following TES LORE. At NO POINT during the 2E period was there a massive war with the Imperials, 1 of the factions were NEVER a remote threat, the second NEVER ATTACKED the imperials and the 3rd tried ONE TIME and never actually got TO IMPERIAL LANDS!

Not even after the fall of the last imperial protector was there a war in imperial lands until Tiber came along and took over...and that was over 400 YEARS after the fall of the last protector of the empire!

If they just dropped this 3 faction DaoC crap they could make an ACTUAL TES game, only online...instead we are getting every single limitation MMORPGs have had since DaoC decided to make PvP for Carebears even THEY think arent smart enough to recognize an enemy!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

achesoma

Apprentice Member

3/02/13 5:05:02 PM#49

Full world exploration outside of faction zones.  More end game options other than Cyrodiil.  A pvp server would be nice but would be just as happy with full world exploration.  I think Zenimax really painted themselves into a corner with this "megaserver" idea.  And the eharmony style player matching system just sounds terrible. 

severius

Elite Member

3/02/13 5:13:11 PM#50

1.  Classless skill based advancement

2. Open World

3. Actually be an Elder Scrolls game rather than Massively Multiplayer Redguard, which sucked monkeys back in '98

I do like the third person perspective though :)

Darth-Batman

Advanced Member

Bruce, I am your father.

3/02/13 5:13:20 PM#51
The thing about Elder Scrolls is that mostly anything can be manipulated via the community modders or TES to fit your play individual style, whatever it may be (for the most part) so the game ends up being better than it actually is and its already great.  The mmo version of this game obviously wont have community modding freedom like that and for me thats the largest draw back of this game. No matter how good they feel they are making it (not saying it wont be good, I have no idea) it wont be as personalized to what players are used to. I cant see it appealng to as many people as the single player version does but who knows, im no sage. I hope its awesome personally, even though it leaves kind of a bitter sweetness lingering... my two pennies.
  ZigZags

Novice Member

3/02/13 5:27:00 PM#52
As a disgruntled TES fan I would be happy to learn that NONE of the zones or areas are Faction Locked. If they have BS borders and walls that make it technically impossible for opposing factions to explore...im out.

Now: Skyrim
Later: ?
Played: M59, UO, EQ, Runescape, DAOC, SB, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Darkfall, AoC, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, SWTOR
BOYCOTTING: EA/BioWare/Origin/SOE

Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

3/02/13 5:31:24 PM#53

I hear the game being called a wow clone (which I think is silly in the least) and more recently and probably slightly more accurately a daoc spiritual successor that only has elder scrolls lore and nothing else in common with the IP. Now rather than this crap spilling out into every other thread I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to it. What could (within reason please) Zenimax have done to be more faithful to the IP?

Remove the region lock, And i can accept that compromise.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

treelo

Apprentice Member

3/02/13 5:31:30 PM#54
TES 6, because any elder scrolls fan with half a brain will realise the sacrifices necessary to make a succesful mmo out of the franchise would destroy what made the games popular in the first place.

Maelwydd

Hard Core Member

3/02/13 5:34:40 PM#55

No faction locked territory.

No faction locked races.

vindir

Advanced Member

3/02/13 5:47:07 PM#56

Ever consider that if this was the next ES game that there woudl still be a bunch of complaints? There were those who complained about aspects of Skyrim saying that they were departing from the true ES philosophies. There were some that complained when Oblivion came out and when Skyrim came out. And when the next ES game (besides ESO) there will be complaints that this is not right and that is not right and this mechanic is stupid and this should not be in and ES game, blah blah blah.

Regarding the faction, race, territory lock; for now it is the way it is. There is no way they can go back at this point - way too much work unless they postpone the game till mid-late 2014. I (like many here) look forward to the ability to adventure in all places the game has to offfer. At this time there is a faction lock and race lock. But to me that gives them options for future updates to make some changes in ways that really enhance the game. How about defecting to another side with the same character? How about invasions into other zones. Espionage? There are ways around the faction/race lock that they could impliment or use down the road.

Ryowulf

Hard Core Member

3/02/13 5:48:26 PM#57
Originally posted by walltar

Its not that hard.

3. You totally destroy any feeling of faction coherence and pride. Now you have three bland factions and you don't have to make no decisions.

There fixed. You can now play booring GW2 RWR with no faction pride at all. You won't hate your enemy ... your enemy is same race as you. If they do anything with this game i hope they wont do anything like this.

Please explain.  How are the 3 factions any more or less bland with race locks?  How is coherence and pride lost?  In Cyrodiil everyone will be in faction armor so you wouldn't even be able to tell a Woodelf from a human from an orc. Yes there will be a mingling of races, but since faction is based on things like political/econmic/etc views race doesn't matter.

When you are out in the world and see someone in an opposing faction armor you can hate them just as much.

Alberel

Novice Member

3/02/13 5:53:36 PM#58
Originally posted by treelo
TES 6, because any elder scrolls fan with half a brain will realise the sacrifices necessary to make a succesful mmo out of the franchise would destroy what made the games popular in the first place.

What made the games popular in the first place were freedom of exploration, freedom of choice and freedom to develop your character however you chose. All three have been scrapped from TESO yet ironically all three have been present in popular MMOs before so clearly you're spouting nonsense. Zenimax removed them because they were so desperate to focus on RvR (a feature that has nothing to do with the TES lore) and sacrificed the integrity of the franchise itself to do so...

I do wish people would stop talking BS about how the core features of the series wouldn't have translated to an MMO. Oblivion and Skyrim were frequently commented as having systems that would apply very well to an MMO, and it's laughable how stupid Zenimax have been in deciding to ignore and scrap them.

walltar

Novice Member

3/02/13 5:58:07 PM#59
Originally posted by walltar

Its not that hard.

Please explain.  How are the 3 factions any more or less bland with race locks?  How is coherence and pride lost?  In Cyrodiil everyone will be in faction armor so you wouldn't even be able to tell a Woodelf from a human from an orc. Yes there will be a mingling of races, but since faction is based on things like political/econmic/etc views race doesn't matter.

When you are out in the world and see someone in an opposing faction armor you can hate them just as much.

Well it is easy ... lets say that i am nord ... i hate elves, they already told me i can't kill dark elves, I am pissed, so now i hate elves twice as more. If i get to play with elwes then i don't get to hate anyone. Now i hate "enemy" which is not personalized, it is same faceless blob as my faction. Plus how can those faction wage war if they have no home territory? And if they have home territory how is it possible they are taking everybody? It just dont sit with me.

Or .. we are Aldmeri dominion faction which promote elves and elven ideas ... "Hey you humans! Want to join?"

For unlocked factiont you have to change factions to have no racial agenda. I think thtat they could make better factions, but they are limited by lore map of tamriel.

sapphen

Novice Member

3/02/13 6:04:30 PM#60
Originally posted by ZigZags
As a disgruntled TES fan I would be happy to learn that NONE of the zones or areas are Faction Locked. If they have BS borders and walls that make it technically impossible for opposing factions to explore...im out.

They would probably make the areas connect through Cyrodiil and land block the side connections to each region.  Then I suspect they have a large faction-based town/city/camp at the entrance to Cyrodiil and close the border there.   I could see them painting themselves into a corner like this meaning it would be a whole lot of work to make opposing faction exploration feasible.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search