Trending Games | Landmark | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,344 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,319
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Must See about ESO and mmorpgs in general.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
54 posts found
  Hyperwolf

Novice Member

2/13/13 6:42:22 AM#21
First post I read after coming back to check out MMORPG in a few months. Off I go again. LOL 

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
~ WC

FromHell

Novice Member

2/13/13 7:19:23 AM#22
Originally posted by mate0377

Larzul talking about GW2 as a failure...?? Really ? The most successful MMORPG since WOW

only in your mind... most hyped, probably, that´s about it

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Doogiehowser

Apprentice Member

2/13/13 8:54:37 AM#23
Originally posted by FromHell

Larzul talking about GW2 as a failure...?? Really ? The most successful MMORPG since WOW

Not in his mind.

From business and  financial point of view GW2 is a huge success. You want to know what failure is?  TSW and AOC.... you should know better. Didn't majority of devs lost their job at TSW and Joel made a long post about it? confessing how he doesn't want more close friends to depart? Now they are restructing some more which is effecting AOC 's development.

I have no love for GW2's community around here but let us cut the bull s*** shall we? someone has to be really biased and full of hate to call GW2 a failure.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Iselin

The Listener

2/13/13 9:16:47 AM#24
Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Not in his mind.

From business and  financial point of view GW2 is a huge success. You want to know what failure is?  TSW and AOC.... you should know better. Didn't majority of devs lost their job at TSW and Joel made a long post about it? confessing how he doesn't want more close friends to depart? Now they are restructing some more which is effecting AOC 's development.

I have no love for GW2's community around here but let us cut the bull s*** shall we? someone has to be really biased and full of hate to call GW2 a failure.

Agree, it is very succesful by any standard.

The real question to me is why do people who stop doing something feel a compulsion to justify their decission to quit by bashing what they used to do? I suspect it has something to do with insecurity: you don't have time to do everything so what you choose to do must be better than what you replaced.

People will go to incredible lengths in their attempts to justify the validity of their choice. The easiest thing to do is to declare the old thing "bad." You don't have to go much further than most people's attitudes toward their "ex" for a real life comparison.

I no longer play Rift simply because I now play other things. Rift, however, is a very good MMO. It was when I played it and it still is without me.

I have no doubt that I will play ESO. Maybe for a short while or maybe for a long time...hard to predict that. But the amount of time I will spend in it will have a lot more to do with my personal interests and situation than its inherent goodness or lack thereof. I leave MMOs because another new one catches my eye....that's all there is to it.

Re: the OP's linked video...

For someone who readily admits we know very little about ESO yet, he sure is long-winded about why it may not live up to his MMO expectations.

elitero

Novice Member

2/13/13 11:22:32 AM#25

I will be playing TESO there is no question about that, however that video made no sense... well maybe a little, but one thing that I personally think (my opinion) is that the timimg was just right when WoW was released, it catered to both the casuals and hardcores, it was perfect and AAA mmo polished and ready to go and sadly that moment will never come again in the MMO genre (still my opinion not fact).

He is also off on success and failures, I mean realistically if you look at it there are probably 2-5 million MMO players in NA, you see this with the sales of each MMO being released and most of these games have gotten a chunk of that playerbase may it be for a short time or lonmg time, they still have gotten them to pay for the product in my opinion they made bank and hopefully they will use it to put out better and better titles.

I do not like to bash any game I hope they strive for higher quality and stick around because every game has a core player base and we cannot know them for playing it, just because one does not liek it simply does not mean the other is wrong for liking it.

This my game is better than yours really needs to stop, if you do not like something post your thoughts on it and if they do not get answered then move on you do not have to stay there to just keep bashing your point.

my 2 cents

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

2/13/13 12:46:17 PM#26
Originally posted by laokoko

I actually bother to listen thourgh all it.

I'm sick of listening to people telling people what they should play.  If casual want to play mmorpg let them play. 

Oh casual gamer shouldn't be allowed, if they can't play for 10 hours a day they should go play other genre.

Oh esport shouldn't be allowed in mmorpg, go play LOL.  Only wolrd pvp should be alowed.

oh gamer shouldn't play themepark, since they are not roll playing in a virtual world like sandbox.

Oh dungeon shouldn't be instanced because that destroy immersion.

Oh solo gamers shouldn't play mmorpg because the first world of MMORPG stand for massive.

Maybe there just isn't enough nerdy player in the world, that the mmorpg developer actaully have to cater to other genre.

I like to solo, and if you can find me a single player game that the npc AI function like real player and have a real life economy, and have update every  few month, and I can do "instanced dungeon with people", and bug and hacks are actually fixed on the prompt, and I can actually pvp once in a while, I'll go play that.  Else I felt like spending most of my time solo, and you can **** it.

And you know what? just because I like to solo 80% of the time, dont' mean I like to solo 100% of the time.

If you want forced grouping you should try other genre like league of legend, you shouldn't play mmorpg.  You know what? those fps game is good for grouping too, you are always grouped.  Please stop playing mmorpg and you won't have that problem.

+1

I always find it ironic when players who hate a game and aren't playing it tells everyone else that they have no business in the genre. It's always some control freak with no life who misses the good old days of forced grouping . They can't stand the fact that now players have a choice of soloing and don't have to deal with the tyranical elitists that use to ruin MMOs for so many people. I usually tell self important morons like that to get bent.. Until you pay for my entertainment I will continue to play whatever game I please. 

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

Crazyhorsek

Novice Member

2/13/13 1:55:06 PM#27
Originally posted by ktanner3
+1

I always find it ironic when players who hate a game and aren't playing it tells everyone else that they have no business in the genre. It's always some control freak with no life who misses the good old days of forced grouping . They can't stand the fact that now players have a choice of soloing and don't have to deal with the tyranical elitists that use to ruin MMOs for so many people. I usually tell self important morons like that to get bent.. Until you pay for my entertainment I will continue to play whatever game I please. 

Yes but just because you pay you have no right to bend games at your will ruining the experience that mmo gamers are expecting - that is the point of the rant - companies that completely change how the game should be to catter more audience and where do they get their other players from? From other genres. How? By inserting mechanics and play styles that have nothing to do with how an mmo should be. And that includes "risk/reward" since most non-mmo players are used to "shoot-die-respawn-getstars-upgradeweapon-nevertheless".

You have to imagine this in a different point of view - imagine that you're a chess player - now imagine that the pawns now respawn everytime they get killed, the king can now shoot everything in his line of sight regardless of distance, and horses now have this special hability called "trample" and everything inside their "L" movement dies. Completely destroys the game. It DESTROYS THE GAME for chess players... I dont care if 10 million more ppl would start to play chess after those changes but as a chess player I would be pissed and prolly stop playing chess.

That is what this conversation is about - not about what you like or not, but about how a game that fits a genre can lose its identity by including other genres mechanics into it virtually reducing its value and... well evolving or devolving into something that cant be called an MMORPG anymore.

Hell I think they should drop the RP there since noone does it anymore - you used to feel your character, and identify with it and you grew attached to it - it used to be... sord of an extension, a virtual extension of yourself - your face, or you in that world. Now... its just not like that anymore, so... I suggest ppl just change the acronym to MMOG - since games like that are only games, not Role-Playing Games.

And btw... whats that about "forced grouping"? In WoW or any other major mmo you have forced grouping - want to go on a boring raid to kill arthas or whatever - get 9 or 24 more players if you want to see that part of the content. Period. I dont see you complaining about it tho. (I'm an ex DAoC player and I hate the concept of rading - I dont raid in WoW and I hate the concept of repeating the same crap over and over again against something I already know the "tactics" but thats just me) - and still I like the concept of grouping in PvE to do things that you simply CANT DO ALONE - this is an MMO - want to be that special snowflake? Theres lots of single player games out there - and even those are dumb down - Skyrim is a joke compared to Oblivion or Morrowind.

I believe mmos should be damn hard, there has to be a special reward for those who push the extra mile. And talking like this I may sound hardcore, but I'm not - I'm usually the one looking at those guys who have those rewards going "woooow" and to be honest, if I can get it with no effort whatsoever, then... its pointless. As a casual player I rather not have something because I know its too hard or too demanding for me, than to know that I can get it while grabbing a coke from the fridge and playing 2 hours a day - it loses its purpose.

The true mmo genre is dead - now all we have are these... mashups of games into one that turns into a cluster fuck of "nothing" because everyone wants everything their way, whining and bitching on forums, wanting stuff to be easier, faster, taking less effort and with that self-entitlement crap of "if I pay I deserve" - no you dont.

An mmo should be done like mmos used to be done and if you like it, you play it. If you don't, you dont play it. Easy. I dont need my game to have 10 million players - companies do. So... they'll just butcher any mmo to appease your kind instead of trying to deliver a good game to a real mmo player fanbase. Then of course everything turns to shit because what you want from an mmo is NOTHING, not even CLOSE to what an mmo gamer wants.

Larzul is right - getting gimmicks and mechanics of other games into an mmo to try and get more and more people will turn the game to shit because actually the game is... nothing. Its not an mmo, nor an fps nor an rts, not anything really... just a cluster fuck of 10 million ignorants shaping a game to their ignorant mind and while doing it, ruining the game for people that actually like mmos how they really are.

FromHell

Novice Member

2/13/13 2:34:02 PM#28

Not in his mind.

From business and  financial point of view GW2 is a huge success. You want to know what failure is?  TSW and AOC.... you should know better.

You know what else is a financial success? Farmville, Fifa 13 and Dragonvale. Do I need to play financially succesful games?

HELL NO. Not touching any of these "successes" with a six foot pole. Same goes for Gw2.

By the way TSW and AoC are doing fine, there are more than enough people around to play with and the finanacial side of things is none of our your or my business, unless you are a stakeholder. Are you? Guess not. So, cut out the business talk.

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

emikochan

Novice Member

Welcome to my world.

2/13/13 3:00:38 PM#29

financial success aside, many people are loving many games, and the games for these whiners like op do exist, go support them and they'll grow into something you will enjoy even more.

Stop trying to change games that people enjoy.

Maelwydd

Advanced Member

2/13/13 3:52:25 PM#30
Originally posted by emikochan

Stop trying to change games that people enjoy.

Well...the guys point in the video is pecisely that. MMO's have been going downhill for many years and he does touch on things that ring true. Games have been getting shallower as time goes by. Rewards are just carrots on a stick with no real need to do anything other then button mash to get them. I mean, when you can get pvp rewards even if you never win a fight...you just need to participate....hollow games for hollow people.

But it is to be expected, look outside the door and see what is happenning to the world. Stupidity is celebrated, popluarity is more important then aptitude, People think generosity is some rich dude giving their wages for another overpaid job when they are rich enough to never have to work again rather then the person who gives 50p and has to miss out on a meal...

The problem with MMO's today is the games people used to enjoy have been changed. So listen to your own advice.

NC-John

Novice Member

2/13/13 3:58:21 PM#31
Can't please everyone. thats an impossible task. Even trying to make a game fit everyone ends up pissing off most of the people playing.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

Thorkune

Spotlight Poster

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!

2/13/13 4:15:18 PM#32

I stopped the video early on so that I could finish watching my paint dry.

The reason I think mmo's are failing miserably right now is because they are being released at an astronomical rate. When WoW, SWG, and EQ were released, there wasn't a lot of competition. WoW ended up being the big winner out of those early releases and now it has a huge following. If you think about it, when you have a list of mmo's like we have here on this site, it's going to spread players way out among them and game populations now seem to die out really fast. 

Like me...some people jump ship from their mmo to try out the next big thing and they end up hopping around to try out all of these new releases. And, it doesn't help that mmo devs are throwing out unfinished products to further assist the game hopping.

As far as TESO goes, I am actually excited to try it out. I think people are too quick to flame a game that we know very little about.

/jumpsoffsoapbox

Don-Quixote

Novice Member

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

2/13/13 4:24:23 PM#33
Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

You have to imagine this in a different point of view - imagine that you're a chess player - now imagine that the pawns now respawn everytime they get killed, the king can now shoot everything in his line of sight regardless of distance, and horses now have this special hability called "trample" and everything inside their "L" movement dies. Completely destroys the game. It DESTROYS THE GAME for chess players... I dont care if 10 million more ppl would start to play chess after those changes but as a chess player I would be pissed and prolly stop playing chess.

You and Larzul and many others talk about the identity of MMOs being lost to corporate greed and use expressions like "average gamer", "your kind instead of (...) real mmo player fanbase", "how an MMO should be", "the true MMO" as a mechanism to let us know that YOU know what MMORPGs truly are and people that enjoys how the genre has evolved don't. As if you are the preserver this arcane knowledge and are battling the hordes of MMO ignorants. But if you search a little bit you will se that not even ardent 'traditional' MMORPG defenders agree on what MMORPGs are and how they should be built, Should they be a themepark or a sandbox? Pve or PvP oriented? Instanced or not? My point is: what gives you and Larzul the right to tell millions of people who are now enjoying the genre that they are wrong? Larzul said: "Ah, they "think" they are having fun, but they are not really having fun". What a cliché. What an irrational cliché.

And since you talked about chess. Please remember that chess was not always as it is now. The game evolved into its current form. Before the 16th century the bishop and the queen were really weak pieces. Many variants were intorduced over time to make the game more dynamic, e.g. en passant, castling, promotion, etc. and when many of these rules were introduced they were rejected or frowned upon by many a player who considered the game was losing its essence. Why did the current form stayed? Because it became the most popular form of chess. Exactly the same thing you are trying to battle: both chess and MMOs evolved in order to appeal to a broader audience and in both cases they were rejected by resented / nostalgic commentators that fought the changes.

Sure we all have an idea of what a perfect MMO would be for each and one of us. I would love to see my dream MMO realized and I would love if other people joined me in it and they liked it too. I don't see my perfect MMO anywhere, but why on earth would I say that people that enjoys MMOs that I don't enjoy aren't true MMO players? How the idea of identity that I have placed over MMOs is suddenly not there when my expectations are not met? See, you have an idea that says "this is MMORPG's identity, this is what an MMO should be like" and since you don't see it anywhere, since no developer is creating that concept and no player is enjoying it, you claim "there are no true MMOs left". Well, all my friends who play MMOs they truly believe they are playing an MMO. Heck, they KNOW they are playing an MMO.

Of course Larzul can always say: "They think they know they are playing an MMO, but they are not, everything is an illusion." If King Richard I, King Louis IX or King Alfonso X saw chess today, they prob would go "What meschief is this? Satan's gamen! Chess this is not, for I do not recall the lady being so full of madness!" (prob they wouldn't, they were very open minded about cultural change those three).

azzamasin

Hard Core Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

2/13/13 4:33:03 PM#34
Pretty much disagree with every thing the dude is saying in the video.  Lots of rosey tinted glasses.  The guy is the true definition of "the hipster" because anything that is mainstream or popular automatically becomes worthy of  deprecation.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

2/13/13 4:36:30 PM#35
Originally posted by Don-Quixote

is above the average gamer and so he's able to understand and appreciate the true meaning of gaming

Illusory superiority drives 95% of the posts on any given message board. No particular fresh insights here.

"No ur wrong"--try to estimate how many replies that entails, exactly.

But you separate out those, and "Ur so rite, me too!"--and you really don't have much message board left.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

azzamasin

Hard Core Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

2/13/13 4:36:50 PM#36
Originally posted by Don-Quixote

Yes but just because you pay you have no right to bend games at your will ruining the experience that mmo gamers are expecting - that is the point of the rant - companies that completely change how the game should be to catter more audience and where do they get their other players from? From other genres. How? By inserting mechanics and play styles that have nothing to do with how an mmo should be. And that includes "risk/reward" since most non-mmo players are used to "shoot-die-respawn-getstars-upgradeweapon-nevertheless".

That is what this conversation is about - not about what you like or not, but about how a game that fits a genre can lose its identity by including other genres mechanics into it virtually reducing its value and... well evolving or devolving into something that cant be called an MMORPG anymore.

Hell I think they should drop the RP there since noone does it anymore - you used to feel your character, and identify with it and you grew attached to it - it used to be... sord of an extension, a virtual extension of yourself - your face, or you in that world. Now... its just not like that anymore, so... I suggest ppl just change the acronym to MMOG - since games like that are only games, not Role-Playing Games.

And btw... whats that about "forced grouping"? In WoW or any other major mmo you have forced grouping - want to go on a boring raid to kill arthas or whatever - get 9 or 24 more players if you want to see that part of the content. Period. I dont see you complaining about it tho. (I'm an ex DAoC player and I hate the concept of rading - I dont raid in WoW and I hate the concept of repeating the same crap over and over again against something I already know the "tactics" but thats just me) - and still I like the concept of grouping in PvE to do things that you simply CANT DO ALONE - this is an MMO - want to be that special snowflake? Theres lots of single player games out there - and even those are dumb down - Skyrim is a joke compared to Oblivion or Morrowind.

I believe mmos should be damn hard, there has to be a special reward for those who push the extra mile. And talking like this I may sound hardcore, but I'm not - I'm usually the one looking at those guys who have those rewards going "woooow" and to be honest, if I can get it with no effort whatsoever, then... its pointless. As a casual player I rather not have something because I know its too hard or too demanding for me, than to know that I can get it while grabbing a coke from the fridge and playing 2 hours a day - it loses its purpose.

The true mmo genre is dead - now all we have are these... mashups of games into one that turns into a cluster fuck of "nothing" because everyone wants everything their way, whining and bitching on forums, wanting stuff to be easier, faster, taking less effort and with that self-entitlement crap of "if I pay I deserve" - no you dont.

An mmo should be done like mmos used to be done and if you like it, you play it. If you don't, you dont play it. Easy. I dont need my game to have 10 million players - companies do. So... they'll just butcher any mmo to appease your kind instead of trying to deliver a good game to a real mmo player fanbase. Then of course everything turns to shit because what you want from an mmo is NOTHING, not even CLOSE to what an mmo gamer wants.

Larzul is right - getting gimmicks and mechanics of other games into an mmo to try and get more and more people will turn the game to shit because actually the game is... nothing. Its not an mmo, nor an fps nor an rts, not anything really... just a cluster fuck of 10 million ignorants shaping a game to their ignorant mind and while doing it, ruining the game for people that actually like mmos how they really are.

You and Larzul and many others talk about the identity of MMOs being lost to corporate greed and use expressions like "average gamer", "your kind instead of (...) real mmo player fanbase", "how an MMO should be", "the true MMO" as a mechanism to let us know that YOU know what MMORPGs truly are and people that enjoys how the genre has evolved don't. As if you are the preserver this arcane knowledge and are battling the hordes of MMO ignorants. But if you search a little bit you will se that not even ardent 'traditional' MMORPG defenders agree on what MMORPGs are and how they should be built, Should they be a themepark or a sandbox? Pve or PvP oriented? Instanced or not? My point is: what gives you and Larzul the right to tell millions of people who are now enjoying the genre that they are wrong? Larzul said: "Ah, they "think" they are having fun, but they are not really having fun". What a cliché. What an irrational cliché.

And since you talked about chess. Please remember that chess was not always as it is now. The game evolved into its current form. Before the 16th century the bishop and the queen were really weak pieces. Many variants were intorduced over time to make the game more dynamic, e.g. en passant, castling, promotion, etc. and when many of these rules were introduced they were rejected or frowned upon by many a player who considered the game was losing its essence. Why did the current form stayed? Because it became the most popular form of chess. Exactly the same thing you are trying to battle: both chess and MMOs evolved in order to appeal to a broader audience and in both cases they were rejected by resented / nostalgic commentators that fought the changes.

Sure we all have an idea of what a perfect MMO would be for each and one of us. I would love to see my dream MMO realized and I would love if other people joined me in it and they liked it too. I don't see my perfect MMO anywhere, but why on earth would I say that people that enjoys MMOs that I don't enjoy aren't true MMO players? How the idea of identity that I have placed over MMOs is suddenly not there when my expectations are not met? See, you have an idea that says "this is MMORPG's identity, this is what an MMO should be like" and since you don't see it anywhere, since no developer is creating that concept and no player is enjoying it, you claim "there are no true MMOs left". Well, all my friends who play MMOs they truly believe they are playing an MMO. Heck, they KNOW they are playing an MMO.

Of course Larzul can always say: "They think they know they are playing an MMO, but they are not, everything is an illusion." If King Richard I, King Louis IX or King Alfonso X saw chess today, they prob would go "What meschief is this? Satan's gamen! Chess this is not, for I do not recall the lady being so full of madness!" (prob they wouldn't, they were very open minded about cultural change those three).

Spot on good sir spot the eff on!

Also people need to understand the big 3...the 3 MMO's that started the populaarity of the Genre were as diametrically opposed to each ather as one can get.  Ultima Online, Everquest and Asheron's Call.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Doogiehowser

Apprentice Member

2/13/13 4:41:01 PM#37

Not in his mind.

From business and  financial point of view GW2 is a huge success. You want to know what failure is?  TSW and AOC.... you should know better.

You know what else is a financial success? Farmville, Fifa 13 and Dragonvale. Do I need to play financially succesful games?

HELL NO. Not touching any of these "successes" with a six foot pole. Same goes for Gw2.

By the way TSW and AoC are doing fine, there are more than enough people around to play with and the finanacial side of things is none of our your or my business, unless you are a stakeholder. Are you? Guess not. So, cut out the business talk.

The guy you quoted earlier was talking about the financial success and you told him it is just in his head. I could care less about your hate for GW2. I am just stating the facts. The world doesn't revolve around your personal likes or dislikes by the way. GW2 is a huge success and that is a fact not an opinion.

And tell to all those people who lost their job at FC that TSW and AOC is doing just fine. Atleast NCSOFT / Anet didn't have to fire people because game sold poorely. That is my friend is real life where money matters.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

2/13/13 4:56:57 PM#38

Yes but just because you pay you have no right to bend games at your will ruining the experience that mmo gamers are expecting - that is the point of the rant -

And it's a stupid one. It's not our fault that the developers are making games that we choose to buy. You need to take that attitude to the people that make the games, not the ones who play them. 

Hate to burst your ego but chess is nothing like video games. Video games have been evolving since pong. There are more variety in MMos then there ever has been. If you miss the good old days of forced grouping and FFA sandboxes, then Darkfall awaits and Archeage and the Repopulation will be coming soon.

EDIT:  a quick google on chess will show you that even it "evolved" into something different from when it started. So even you apples to oranges comparison falls on its face. 

Speak for yourself. I roleplay and so does most of the people on my server

And btw... whats that about "forced grouping"? In WoW or any other major mmo you have forced grouping - want to go on a boring raid to kill arthas or whatever - get 9 or 24 more players if you want to see that part of the content. Period. I dont see you complaining about it tho.

Might want to check my post history bud, because I've posted many times about hating Raids. 

Another part where you might want to check post history before ranting. 

An mmo should be done like mmos used to be done and if you like it, you play it. If you don't, you dont play it. Easy.

You forget the part where someone has to spend the money to make them.  MMOs are expensive as hell to develop and maintain. Right now, no devloper wants to spend millions of dollars to make a hardcore sandbox game. Again, if you have a problem with this, take it up with the developers. 

I dont need my game to have 10 million players - companies do. So... they'll just butcher any mmo to appease your kind instead of trying to deliver a good game to a real mmo player fanbase. Then of course everything turns to shit because what you want from an mmo is NOTHING, not even CLOSE to what an mmo gamer wants.

/SNORE. Your ignorance of how I like to play games has now just gotten anoying.  YOu also seem to forget that it is the company whose ass is on the line, not yours. YOu're not the one who loses when a game loses money, the company is. You're out maybe sixty dollars. The company is out millions and could face bankruptcy. So if they feel that a player style like sandbox isn't worth investing millions of dollars in, then you're just SOL.  I don't like the current state of popular music, but you don't see me stomping my feet and griping on the internet about it. 

There's only one MMO out there that has 10 million PLAYERS and that is WOW. You've just spent an entire rant labeling me without even knowing what type of player I am. So I would sugggest thinking twice before labeling an entire player base as ignorant because yours has been on display here for all to see. ;) 

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

2/13/13 5:04:50 PM#39

Not in his mind.

The guy you quoted earlier was talking about the financial success and you told him it is just in his head. I could care less about your hate for GW2. I am just stating the facts. The world doesn't revolve around your personal likes or dislikes by the way. GW2 is a huge success and that is a fact not an opinion.

That statement needs to be read  and remembered by every self important elitist on this site. 

Maelwydd

Advanced Member

2/13/13 8:03:09 PM#40
Originally posted by ktanner3

That statement needs to be read  and remembered by every self important elitist on this site. 

And it also needs to be remembered that people who use this line forget to apply it to themselves just as much. It just so happens that at the moment the existing trend of gaming supports your side...guess what, it's changing. Just remember what you say here because if games become more shandbox, less themepark, more involved, less pointless fluff....you might just be the guy complaining about how your games are being changed by other peoples playstyle.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search