Trending Games | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,644,786 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,078,557
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » What does TESO offer that GW2 does not?

10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
184 posts found
  winter

Hard Core Member

Joined: 8/08/03
Posts: 2159

2/05/13 8:31:51 AM#61
Originally posted by crysent
Originally posted by ragz45

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

  • Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
  • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.
  • Seamless world - Having no loading screens will be a nice change.
 
What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

Duh, everything, TESO offers everything GW2 currently does not!  Don't you know?!  TESO is the new kid on the block and no one here is going to complain about it until after it releases.  Until then we will have the highest expectations and defend it feverishly.

 

However, after it releases we will all just complain about it and call it a massive failure.

 You really haven't done your homework. There are tons of TESO hater threads already just as there were GW2 hater threads before GW2 came out. Word of old wisdom. Best to remain silent and let people think you are a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

  fitzzerlefou

Novice Member

Joined: 1/10/08
Posts: 21

2/05/13 8:32:08 AM#62
from what I read here, its mostly the same thing, anyway everyone will come on forum to QQ about the game.
  GoldenArrow

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/09/08
Posts: 932

2/05/13 8:40:59 AM#63
Originally posted by fitzzerlefou
from what I read here, its mostly the same thing, anyway everyone will come on forum to QQ about the game.

People won't have time to whine on the forums because they got so much progressing to do.

  MMO-Maniac

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/08/05
Posts: 172

2/05/13 8:41:21 AM#64

Ah, here we go.

It has begun.

 

Yet to be released X is so much better than or will be better than released game Y...ect ect

 

In a coulple weeks it'll be Yet to be released game X will suck because released game Y  has so and so.

 

And so on...it's really funny how predictable this site has become.

 

Gonna enjoy the show and get a chuckle.

  Destai

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/31/09
Posts: 419

2/05/13 8:47:17 AM#65
Originally posted by ragz45

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

  • Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
  • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.
  • Seamless world - Having no loading screens will be a nice change.
 
What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

I think the lore is far more in depth with TESO. The series has decades of lore development. In my opinion, the Elder Scrolls lore feels more genuine. The lore of Guild Wars is good, but always has some tag line like "you never fight alone" or some other pointless, feel good crap. Consider the Daedra vs. the Elder Dragons. Zhaitan is raising undead. He is a force, a plot element, not a character. The Daedra are lustful, meddling characters that make the world more interesting.

Personally, I think TESO will take the mechanics that GW2 pioneered or leveraged and make them even better, all with a deeper lore setting and more open world.

  Iselin

The Listener

Joined: 3/04/08
Posts: 3525

2/05/13 9:16:08 AM#66
Originally posted by Eir_S
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Well hopefully its less "gamey". Gw2 feels too polished and plastic, the mmo equivelent of 80s music.

If it were truly like 80's music, the visuals would be hyper-bizarre and impossible to understand.  Remember the music videos back then?  Eesh lol

 IDK... I still like "Addicted to Love"

  Aeonblades

Elite Member

Joined: 10/12/12
Posts: 1111

2/05/13 9:17:28 AM#67
An MMORPG. Also true PvP (I hope) and not what passes for it in GW2.

Currently Playing: Rift, ESO, EQ1, Various betas
Have played: You name it.

  darkhalf357x

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/25/12
Posts: 1041

I'm only playing the role chosen for me. Who you supposed to be?

2/05/13 9:21:40 AM#68
Originally posted by crysent
Originally posted by ragz45

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

  • Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
  • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.
  • Seamless world - Having no loading screens will be a nice change.
 
What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

Duh, everything, TESO offers everything GW2 currently does not!  Don't you know?!  TESO is the new kid on the block and no one here is going to complain about it until after it releases.  Until then we will have the highest expectations and defend it feverishly.

 

However, after it releases we will all just complain about it and call it a massive failure.

Sad... but true.

Ill still play TESO.  Im curious how the combat will feel.  I like GW2 but the combat feels 'awkward' to me.  Doesnt fit an MMORPG title to me.

  fivoroth

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 11/10/06
Posts: 2432

2/05/13 9:36:18 AM#69

I don't understand why people are so upset over GW2 :D Are people getting more and more naive on these forums? People hype GW2 on this forum like crazy then start to just hate it. Now again people praise this TES game and for some reason believe that it will do everything better than GW2. GW2 apparently did everything wrong and now it's TES' time to get everything right?

People said no trinity was cool. Now trinity is not cool. Do people on these boards change their opinions every 5 minutes?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

  Iselin

The Listener

Joined: 3/04/08
Posts: 3525

2/05/13 9:42:25 AM#70
Originally posted by fivoroth

People said no trinity was cool. Now trinity is not cool. Do people on these boards change their opinions every 5 minutes?

 You know those first 2 sentences mean the same thing... right?

  Daxamar

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/13/05
Posts: 428

2/05/13 9:43:14 AM#71
Originally posted by fivoroth

I don't understand why people are so upset over GW2 :D Are people getting more and more naive on these forums? People hype GW2 on this forum like crazy then start to just hate it. Now again people praise this TES game and for some reason believe that it will do everything better than GW2. GW2 apparently did everything wrong and now it's TES' time to get everything right?

People said no trinity was cool. Now trinity is not cool. Do people on these boards change their opinions every 5 minutes?

They change there minds every time a new MMO comes out. I enjoyed GW2, I hope to enjoy TESO. and beyond!

  SavageHorizon

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/14/13
Posts: 1434

2/05/13 9:43:24 AM#72

Full roles with a trinity system. If i want to be a full healer that can actually keep a whole group alive i can and that goes all the other roles.

 

Better world.

Better lore.

Better RVR.

Better PVP without the zerg fest that is GW2

Normal and Dynamic quests.

Non scaling dungeons.

A real RP experiance, GW2 RP features are a joke.

No comparison and thank god for that.

Coolermaster Cosmos II Case
Corsair AX1200W Modular PSU
Intel Core i7 3970X OC 4.50GHz
Asus P9X79 PRO Intel X7
16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-1866MHz
840 Series 250GB SSDs
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs
EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5 SLi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs

  Daxamar

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/13/05
Posts: 428

2/05/13 9:44:36 AM#73
Originally posted by Iselin
Originally posted by fivoroth

People said no trinity was cool. Now trinity is not cool. Do people on these boards change their opinions every 5 minutes?

 You know those first 2 sentences mean the same thing... right?

Yet, I knew what he meant..Im a genius! Genius I say. Mwahahahaha

  Anthur

Hard Core Member

Joined: 3/05/10
Posts: 592

2/05/13 9:48:29 AM#74
Originally posted by Daxamar
Originally posted by Iselin
Originally posted by fivoroth

People said no trinity was cool. Now trinity is not cool. Do people on these boards change their opinions every 5 minutes?

 You know those first 2 sentences mean the same thing... right?

Yet, I knew what he meant..Im a genius! Genius I say. Mwahahahaha

Yep, but it looks like you already reached insanity. ;)

  Nanfoodle

Elite Member

Joined: 5/23/06
Posts: 2861

2/05/13 10:07:32 AM#75

Whats with all the GW2 hate? Its a fun game and I am still enjoying it and I personally hope its around a long time. I will agree it needs work but what new MMO does not. The one thing I am surprised I miss in GW2 is the holly trinity and I hope its alive and well in ESO. I have seen a few articles where it said 90% of the content can be done with any of the classes. So this makes me worry. I find the lack of trinity in GW2 makes me want to look for a new MMO. 

  niceguy3978

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/06
Posts: 1963

2/05/13 10:33:25 AM#76
Originally posted by Aerowyn
Originally posted by deakon
Originally posted by Skeeter50
Originally posted by boxsnd

endgame

real pvp progression

your enemies don't look the same as your allies

trinity

a game engine that allows more than 50 player fights without melting your computer

(hopefully) the pve zones won't be empty due to the mega-server tech

 

But at the moment we know very little about the game. I'm refusing to get hyped until I actually play it for a while. I'm very cautious after the GW2 disaster.

Dude, they say no trinity....I said "Nooooooo ahhhhhhhh"! Does sound like gw2, really sad at this moment.

From zams hands on

"the Holy Trinity is alive and well in The Elder Scrolls Online"

did they add in an aggro mechanic then? another one i found

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-the-elder-scrolls-online-preview-leaked-detailed

That mechanic aims to ruffle the healer/tank/damage MMO trinity, but those classes appear to generally be intact. There's no aggro table in The Elder Scrolls Online, which means an enemy is just as likely to attack you for picking your nose as it is the warrior smacking it in the face.

Not sure how you can really consider it the Holy Trinity with no aggro.. curious how the tanking role would work then.

 They could possibly do something positionally.  I always thought that if there were a dedicated healer and a couple more abilities, the Guardian in GW2 could be a good tank.  I think if you have collision detection and combat like TERA or GW2 where if you are in front of an attack you will get hit, then positional tanking could be interesting.  Where the goal of tanking isn't holding aggro, but making sure you are between the attacking mob and everyone else.  This could have worked interestingly in GW2 I think with dedicated healing classes (I'm no saying they should have done this, just that they could have if they had chosen to use trinity mechanics with the combat they have).  I think tanking with no aggro mechanics could be interesting (the the emphasis on could).

  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Joined: 9/13/06
Posts: 18368

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

2/05/13 10:38:24 AM#77
Originally posted by PongLenis

I could sit here and list them off allday but I will say one important one and leave it at that.

Meaningful PvP... buh bye.

I always wonder what people mean by that term, what makes the PVP in TESO meaningful to you?

Are there large consequences for losing, like in EVE or DFUW, where you lose your ship or gear if you die?

Or is it more like DAOC where you gain access to Darkness Falls type dungeon to fight for, special skill points for PVP (I did read they will have this), or something else?

"The discrepancy between what we know is possible and what we currently have to choose from is beyond disappointing" - GeezerGamer
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  deakon

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/07/11
Posts: 588

2/05/13 10:40:15 AM#78
Originally posted by niceguy3978
Originally posted by Aerowyn
Originally posted by deakon
Originally posted by Skeeter50
Originally posted by boxsnd

endgame

real pvp progression

your enemies don't look the same as your allies

trinity

a game engine that allows more than 50 player fights without melting your computer

(hopefully) the pve zones won't be empty due to the mega-server tech

 

But at the moment we know very little about the game. I'm refusing to get hyped until I actually play it for a while. I'm very cautious after the GW2 disaster.

Dude, they say no trinity....I said "Nooooooo ahhhhhhhh"! Does sound like gw2, really sad at this moment.

From zams hands on

"the Holy Trinity is alive and well in The Elder Scrolls Online"

did they add in an aggro mechanic then? another one i found

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-the-elder-scrolls-online-preview-leaked-detailed

That mechanic aims to ruffle the healer/tank/damage MMO trinity, but those classes appear to generally be intact. There's no aggro table in The Elder Scrolls Online, which means an enemy is just as likely to attack you for picking your nose as it is the warrior smacking it in the face.

Not sure how you can really consider it the Holy Trinity with no aggro.. curious how the tanking role would work then.

 They could possibly do something positionally.  I always thought that if there were a dedicated healer and a couple more abilities, the Guardian in GW2 could be a good tank.  I think if you have collision detection and combat like TERA or GW2 where if you are in front of an attack you will get hit, then positional tanking could be interesting.  Where the goal of tanking isn't holding aggro, but making sure you are between the attacking mob and everyone else.  This could have worked interestingly in GW2 I think with dedicated healing classes (I'm no saying they should have done this, just that they could have if they had chosen to use trinity mechanics with the combat they have).  I think tanking with no aggro mechanics could be interesting (the the emphasis on could).

Or it could have changed between eurogamers article in may (when the game was tab target/hotkey based with no agro) and zam's hands on in october (when they changed the combat mechanics to be reticle based)

  niceguy3978

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/06
Posts: 1963

2/05/13 10:41:43 AM#79
Originally posted by fivoroth

I don't understand why people are so upset over GW2 :D Are people getting more and more naive on these forums? People hype GW2 on this forum like crazy then start to just hate it. Now again people praise this TES game and for some reason believe that it will do everything better than GW2. GW2 apparently did everything wrong and now it's TES' time to get everything right?

People said no trinity was cool. Now trinity is not cool. Do people on these boards change their opinions every 5 minutes?

 Part of it is that people don't always know what they want (though they may say they do) they just want something "different."  Then different happens and they don't like that different, they want something else different.  Some of that has to do with "what sounds good on paper" versus playing it and seeing how it works out in reality.  That was kind of how I felt about the trinity and lack of trinity in GW2.  I liked the idea primarily from the view of no more "lf1m need tank."  Then when I played, I didn't like how that actually played out in the game.  I do still like dynamic events over quest hubs, but that wasn't quite enough to keep me playing.  I don't really see ESO being my cup of tea either, but I hope those looking forward to it enjoy it.

  niceguy3978

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/06
Posts: 1963

2/05/13 10:43:31 AM#80
Originally posted by deakon
Originally posted by niceguy3978
Originally posted by Aerowyn
Originally posted by deakon
Originally posted by Skeeter50
Originally posted by boxsnd

endgame

real pvp progression

your enemies don't look the same as your allies

trinity

a game engine that allows more than 50 player fights without melting your computer

(hopefully) the pve zones won't be empty due to the mega-server tech

 

But at the moment we know very little about the game. I'm refusing to get hyped until I actually play it for a while. I'm very cautious after the GW2 disaster.

Dude, they say no trinity....I said "Nooooooo ahhhhhhhh"! Does sound like gw2, really sad at this moment.

From zams hands on

"the Holy Trinity is alive and well in The Elder Scrolls Online"

did they add in an aggro mechanic then? another one i found

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-the-elder-scrolls-online-preview-leaked-detailed

That mechanic aims to ruffle the healer/tank/damage MMO trinity, but those classes appear to generally be intact. There's no aggro table in The Elder Scrolls Online, which means an enemy is just as likely to attack you for picking your nose as it is the warrior smacking it in the face.

Not sure how you can really consider it the Holy Trinity with no aggro.. curious how the tanking role would work then.

 They could possibly do something positionally.  I always thought that if there were a dedicated healer and a couple more abilities, the Guardian in GW2 could be a good tank.  I think if you have collision detection and combat like TERA or GW2 where if you are in front of an attack you will get hit, then positional tanking could be interesting.  Where the goal of tanking isn't holding aggro, but making sure you are between the attacking mob and everyone else.  This could have worked interestingly in GW2 I think with dedicated healing classes (I'm no saying they should have done this, just that they could have if they had chosen to use trinity mechanics with the combat they have).  I think tanking with no aggro mechanics could be interesting (the the emphasis on could).

Or it could have changed between eurogamers article in may (when the game was tab target/hotkey based with no agro) and zam's hands on in october (when they changed the combat mechanics to be reticle based)

 Could very well be.  I think it is most likely that they have simply changed their minds and put in aggro.  I was just trying to come up with a way that would make both articles accurate (both no aggro, and yet having a trinity system).

10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search