Trending Games | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Guild Wars 2 | Landmark

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,423 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,559
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » The Mega Server = Over Population?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
27 posts found
  Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

2/03/13 6:57:38 AM#21

Bigger isn't always better. But running in circles chanting "the doom is falling" is premature.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Alberel

Novice Member

2/03/13 6:58:17 AM#22
Originally posted by Axxar
The marketing line for the Megaserver is BS. But it's a great solution for the problem all MMOs these days face a few months after launch.

This. The ONLY reason they're using the megaserver tech is so they can hide the server populations and prevent players from noticing when the population inevitably plummets a few months after launch.

This will bring with it all the problems that cross-server tech did in other games. The most obvious is that no one faces any consequences for their actions as they will never see the same player twice; sadly this tends to lead to most people trolling or being otherwise anti-social simply because they can get away with it.

It's all well and good using tech to maintain high numbers of concurrent players but when it sacrifices any kind of persistence in the community and prevents a close community from actually forming I can only think it's going too far in the other direction.

Bladestrom

Elite Member

2/03/13 7:02:34 AM#23
Originally posted by nate1980
Originally posted by azzamasin
Originally posted by Karteli

Every instance of the world will be fully populated, but as a result, communities will suffer.

You'll almost never see the same faces (outside of PVP campaigns), so the effect will just be one giant cross-realm LFG/LFD scenario, with people nice at first, but becoming increasingly rude as time goes on.  There are no consequences to anyones actions, and no personal reputation to maintain.

You can switch around PVP campaigns too if you play enough (switching costs some sort of PVP currency).  So be a toxic jerk for awhile, then switch.

My take on it anyways.  Some stuff could change here and there, but that's pretty much the game architecture going into beta, which can't be changed.  GW2 is widely known as anti-social, and GW2 die-hard fans will eat this game up.

Well some may look at it like that but there is zero evidence to support your theory. 

My theory is more valid because everyone is helpful and mindful of their surroundings because the game first and formost supports cooperation in PvE, Looting and resource nodes.  GW2 is a good indication that my theory is more sound.  But again I wouldnt expect someone whos first MMO was WoW to think otherwise.

Except in GW2 people were anti-social, would run past you if you needed a rezz, would never respond to questions or pleas for help in /map chat, and wouldn't say a world in DE's. They'd just AoE for max credit and move along, nothing said, and everyone dead at the end be damned. Not to mention all the bots just auto casting and attacking at well known DE respawn points. I think you chose a very poor example of a game to emmulate a good cohesive communicative community.

Rubbish, your mindlessly repeating some rubbish churned up in this forum as fact, if you played GW2 you would know that is not the case.  That asside, his arguements that sharing nodes and quests is a lot better than having people fight over nodes and npc's is obviously valid. 

Simple analagy, 2 people want that last  loaf of bread on the supermarket shelf at the same time and they know there wont be another loaf for hours - 1 person loses out as a direct impact of the other person taking that loaf.  For a % of the time when this happens there will be conflict and anti-social behaviour .  Same shelf but now there are 2 loafs, now we never have conflict.  2 Loafs does not encourage social behaviour, but it removes anti-social behavior, which is excatly why  the the shared node approach helps a community.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (10000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (600 runemaster/Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR

Karteli

Apprentice Member

2/03/13 11:48:28 AM#24
Originally posted by Bladestrom

Every instance of the world will be fully populated, but as a result, communities will suffer.

You'll almost never see the same faces (outside of PVP campaigns), so the effect will just be one giant cross-realm LFG/LFD scenario, with people nice at first, but becoming increasingly rude as time goes on.  There are no consequences to anyones actions, and no personal reputation to maintain.

You can switch around PVP campaigns too if you play enough (switching costs some sort of PVP currency).  So be a toxic jerk for awhile, then switch.

My take on it anyways.  Some stuff could change here and there, but that's pretty much the game architecture going into beta, which can't be changed.  GW2 is widely known as anti-social, and GW2 die-hard fans will eat this game up.

Well some may look at it like that but there is zero evidence to support your theory. 

My theory is more valid because everyone is helpful and mindful of their surroundings because the game first and formost supports cooperation in PvE, Looting and resource nodes.  GW2 is a good indication that my theory is more sound.  But again I wouldnt expect someone whos first MMO was WoW to think otherwise.

Except in GW2 people were anti-social, would run past you if you needed a rezz, would never respond to questions or pleas for help in /map chat, and wouldn't say a world in DE's. They'd just AoE for max credit and move along, nothing said, and everyone dead at the end be damned. Not to mention all the bots just auto casting and attacking at well known DE respawn points. I think you chose a very poor example of a game to emmulate a good cohesive communicative community.

Rubbish, your mindlessly repeating some rubbish churned up in this forum as fact, if you played GW2 you would know that is not the case.  That asside, his arguements that sharing nodes and quests is a lot better than having people fight over nodes and npc's is obviously valid. 

Simple analagy, 2 people want that last  loaf of bread on the supermarket shelf at the same time and they know there wont be another loaf for hours - 1 person loses out as a direct impact of the other person taking that loaf.  For a % of the time when this happens there will be conflict and anti-social behaviour .  Same shelf but now there are 2 loafs, now we never have conflict.  2 Loafs does not encourage social behaviour, but it removes anti-social behavior, which is excatly why  the the shared node approach helps a community.

When there is only one loaf of bread and I fought over it, that is something that would keep me entertained, and something I would remember.  Always having 2 loaf's of bread leads to monotony, and makes everyday just like the last - boring and uneventful.  Games that use the 2 loaf of bread syndrome may successfully avoid conflict, but at the expense of making a game worth re-logging back onto.  GW2 avoids conflicts and social interaction at every turn, and I can't stand to log in; it's a drab game.

MMORPG's should have conflicts.  There are already too many carebear single-player games disguised as MMORPGs continually creeping into the market.  I'd just as soon play single-player games than a single player MMO.

ps - I don't think you understand anti-social behavior.  2 people going for the same loaf of bread would be aggressive greed, including social actions through behavior, even without words.  2 people ignoring each other as they swoop up their personalized loaf of bread then moving on is anti-social.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

User Deleted
2/03/13 12:00:03 PM#25

I'll be curious to see how this will affect the economy.  My guess is that we'll see something similar to GW2's TP debacle where it was nearly impossible to make any money due to the sheer number of auctions for a particular item.

I would also think that gold farmers would find it easier to manipulate the economy when there's only one server. 

Crazyhorsek

Novice Member

2/03/13 12:10:52 PM#26
Originally posted by fat_taddler

I'll be curious to see how this will affect the economy.  My guess is that we'll see something similar to GW2's TP debacle where it was nearly impossible to make any money due to the sheer number of auctions for a particular item.

I would also think that gold farmers would find it easier to manipulate the economy when there's only one server. 

Thats one side of the coin.

The other side is since theres only one server, its easier to keep gold farmers/ sellers in check.

nate1980

Spotlight Poster

2/03/13 5:39:32 PM#27
Originally posted by Bladestrom

Actually, that was my first hand experience in GW2 during halfway through the first month and the following 2 weeks after that before I got fed up with it all and quit. No reason to get immature and attack me for having a different experience. Next time I'll just report and ignore you. 

But I agree with node and quest sharing as well.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search