Trending Games | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EVE Online | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,276 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,552
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » The people complaining...

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
106 posts found
  Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

1/30/13 11:23:16 AM#41
Originally posted by Nitth

How is it any different than being polarized on a political view?

Or more typical brand loyalties--"Who makes the best pickup truck?" is still good for fight just about anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon where beer is served on a Saturday night.

I do wish the hype and anti-hype trains didn't get in motion so early. The "home" topics become completely useless so very quickly.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Crazyhorsek

Novice Member

1/30/13 11:32:49 AM#42

Originally posted by Grunch
I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.

I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.

If DaoC was so great, Why did it ultimately under preform in the end?

What end? DAoC is still up and running.

It was 2004, WoW came out and ruined mmos everywhere... what exactly do you mean?

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

1/30/13 11:42:45 AM#43
Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

It was 2004, WoW came out and ruined mmos everywhere... what exactly do you mean?

Not to pick a fight; but the first game to rewind and retrofit with "classic servers" wasn't exactly a sign of positive fan support of development direction.

Anyway, water under the bridge.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

1/30/13 11:46:38 AM#44

I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.

I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.

Yeah, underperform? The only MMO bigger than it for a while was EverQuest.

But why did DAoC start to die? Very simple, it was no longer DAoC. The devs totally changed the game with Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs expansions, so much so that they had to release classic servers. But by then EA was involved and most of the staff was working on WAR. Damage was done.

Current DAoC is barely anything like the DAoC everyone remembers. It's more like WoW than anything.

Aeonblades

Apprentice Member

1/30/13 11:49:20 AM#45
Originally posted by DavisFlight

But why did DAoC start to die? Very simple, it was no longer DAoC. The devs totally changed the game with Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs expansions, so much so that they had to release classic servers. But by then EA was involved and most of the staff was working on WAR. Damage was done.

Current DAoC is barely anything like the DAoC everyone remembers. It's more like WoW than anything.

I couldn't disagree with the last sentence more. It is not the DAoC it was when it first came out, this is true, because of the reasons you mentioned. But it is still nothing like the casual fart and gain 2 levels style that WoW is. It doesn't even play the same, it controls different looks different levels different and plays different.

Like I said, it's not the DAoC Mythic released, but it's not even close to WoW.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
Have played: You name it
If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

1/30/13 11:49:22 AM#46

Originally posted by Grunch I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.     I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.
What end? DAoC is still up and running. It was 2004, WoW came out and ruined mmos everywhere... what exactly do you mean?

Why did they change the games direction?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Aeonblades

Apprentice Member

1/30/13 11:51:21 AM#47

ToA brought leveled items into the game that were BiS for a lot of slots. It caused a general uproar because DAoC players didnt want to PvE, they wanted to RvR. Catacombs caused balance issues as well. As far as the WoW comment, that is so far from how the game responds and plays I'm wondering if he has played it.

Crazyhorsek

Novice Member

1/30/13 11:52:34 AM#48
Originally posted by Icewhite

Not to pick a fight; but the first game to rewind and retrofit with "classic servers" wasn't exactly a sign of positive fan support of development direction.

Anyway, water under the bridge.

Not a fight at all mate... like I said, in 2004 WoW came out and ruined mmos everywhere. If you remember, the birth of WoW plunged every mmo alive at that time to a 4 year dark age.

So yes... you're right. And even a little bit before with those cluster merges like merging all RP servers, all PvP servers etc...

That "classic server" idea was just as stupid back then as it is today's wow players asking for "vanilla servers".

But... and theres a bit BUT in my statement - the curious thing is that when I left the game the most populated servers were these "classics" you mentioned.

Right now I dont know... they have a completely different server setup from what I've seen checking the herald and we cant see the number of players playing in a particular server like we used to see... or maybe I just cant navegate in the camelot herald anymore hehehe... which is also possible  :)

EDIT: yes and DAoC was the first mmo trying to emulate the mighty wow, even way before server issues, starting with new "wowish looking icons for the abilities and all that crap... thank that one to the one and only, master of ruin, the opposite of midas where everything midas touched turned to gold - everything this man touches seem to turn to crap - Mr Mark "turncoat fuckup" Jacobs. Yes he still lives in the shadow of his DAoC success in 2000, like the mmorpg.com enterview showed - along with his arrogance and hubris, but he was also the one to make daoc bend to WoW first.

Nitth

Elite Member

1/30/13 11:55:59 AM#49

Originally posted by Aeonblades

But why did DAoC start to die? Very simple, it was no longer DAoC. The devs totally changed the game with Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs expansions, so much so that they had to release classic servers. But by then EA was involved and most of the staff was working on WAR. Damage was done. Current DAoC is barely anything like the DAoC everyone remembers. It's more like WoW than anything.  
ToA brought leveled items into the game that were BiS for a lot of slots. It caused a general uproar because DAoC players didnt want to PvE, they wanted to RvR. Catacombs caused balance issues as well. As far as the WoW comment, that is so far from how the game responds and plays I'm wondering if he has played it.

What 'im getting at is from what you, and other posters have said..

Is that DAoC experienced 2-5 years of 'success' then through design changes and general lifespan of the game people left.

I can understand the graphics engine getting old.

I cant understand the change in games direction, Much the same thing i hear about swg. Why change an apparent winning formula if your player base is content?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

1/30/13 11:57:37 AM#50

I couldn't disagree with the last sentence more. It is not the DAoC it was when it first came out, this is true, because of the reasons you mentioned. But it is still nothing like the casual fart and gain 2 levels style that WoW is. It doesn't even play the same, it controls different looks different levels different and plays different.

Like I said, it's not the DAoC Mythic released, but it's not even close to WoW.

There are linear instanced dungeons. There's no more death penalty. You can hit 50 in a couple days. It's all quest grind based, rather than monster hunting and dungeon crawling. There's a GPS map now. All NPCs have floating markers telling you which ones to pay attention to.

It's been getting more and more like WoW every year.

Aeonblades

Apprentice Member

1/30/13 11:58:35 AM#51

But why did DAoC start to die? Very simple, it was no longer DAoC. The devs totally changed the game with Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs expansions, so much so that they had to release classic servers. But by then EA was involved and most of the staff was working on WAR. Damage was done. Current DAoC is barely anything like the DAoC everyone remembers. It's more like WoW than anything.  

What 'im getting at is from what you, and other posters have said..

Is that DAoC experienced 2-5 years of 'success' then through design changes and general lifespan of the game people left.

I can understand the graphics engine getting old.

I cant understand the change in games direction, Much the same thing i hear about swg. Why change an apparent winning formula if your player base is content?

Because companies used to take risks with these games, and they knew if they didn't release a new idea/content, the game would die even faster. Mythic had nuts, they didn't mind making changes to their game, and didn't mind admitting when they were wrong. ToA amounts to a failed experiment, honestly I enjoyed ToA, but most people did not. Companies just don't take those kind of risks anymore. It wasn't so much game changing as just new items and content people didn't care for.

Aeonblades

Apprentice Member

1/30/13 12:02:36 PM#52

There are linear instanced dungeons. There's no more death penalty. You can hit 50 in a couple days. It's all quest grind based, rather than monster hunting and dungeon crawling. There's a GPS map now. All NPCs have floating markers telling you which ones to pay attention to.

Most people don't consider quality of life changes like adding quests to do game breaking. Also, if you are PvEing to level 50, you completely missed the point of DAoC to begin with. I do realize they added some quests with good exp that are repeatable that a lot people do these days, but if anything it just gets you to the RvR faster. Everything you mentioned has no bearing whatsoever on the actual part of DAoC people play.

keitholi

Novice Member

1/30/13 12:02:59 PM#53

Under perform? The fact that the game is STILL around and playable 10 years after launch is a living testament to the quality of the game. You, sir, are an idiot.

Nitth

Elite Member

1/30/13 12:05:31 PM#54

Originally posted by keitholi

Originally posted by Grunch I notice that the only people complaining have never played DAoC and do not realize the awesomeness that is about to be unleashed in 2013 called ESO. I have been waiting for a DAoC 3 Faction RvR game since the WoW Clone Wars began. This is going to be the MMO that will bring balance back to the force.     I suggest people try out DAoC to see how three faction gameplay works. I understand DAoC isn't what it used to be but you will get an idea.
Under perform? The fact that the game is STILL around and playable 10 years after launch is a living testament to the quality of the game. You, sir, are an idiot.

DID I SAY DIE?

Are you telling me that they ticked all the boxes for desired player numbers and profits??

Aeonblades

Apprentice Member

1/30/13 12:13:38 PM#55

DID I SAY DIE?

Are you telling me that they ticked all the boxes for desired player numbers and profits??

I'm sure they made more off DAoC than they ever will off Warhammer or most games released recently will make in their lifetimes. 10 years of subscription fees adds up, on top of several pay for expansions. Would they like to make more? I'm sure, it's the nature of a company. All MMO's eventually die, but it is rare for one to remain in action a decade and still have enough subs to not go F2P. I will say I expect them to make Warhammer and DAoC F2P at some point in the near future, because sub games for the most part are losing customers.

Dying, yes. Sucessful, also yes.

Crazyhorsek

Novice Member

1/30/13 12:13:53 PM#56

Most people don't consider quality of life changes like adding quests to do game breaking. Also, if you are PvEing to level 50, you completely missed the point of DAoC to begin with. I do realize they added some quests with good exp that are repeatable that a lot people do these days, but if anything it just gets you to the RvR faster. Everything you mentioned has no bearing whatsoever on the actual part of DAoC people play.

wow... believe it or not it took me 6 months to get my first 50 in my mercenary...

sapphen

Novice Member

1/30/13 12:13:55 PM#57

DID I SAY DIE?

... on a side note Morrowind and Oblivion (not combined) both have more players than DAoC.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/30/13 12:17:08 PM#58
Daoc is the second most successful Indie developed mmo after eve.

I wish it had stayed indie too, bloody ea.
  DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

1/30/13 12:19:33 PM#59

Those aren't quality of life changes. Those drastically change the entire gameplay and feel of the game.

Where once the focus was on socializing and immersion, it's now on solo quest grinding.

ALL of DAoC was great, not just the PvP. It's why it is so well remembered. The RvR and PvE both got ruined at the same time.

What made DAoC stand out was how well balanced the PvE, crafting, and PvP spheres were. And Mythic gutted each of them. The PvP is still fun, but not as fun as it was, and the rest of the game is downright awful now.

Aeonblades

Apprentice Member

1/30/13 12:20:15 PM#60

wow... believe it or not it took me 6 months to get my first 50 in my mercenary...

I do believe it, it took the same on my first character, an Armsman. However my second character, made just after I hit 50 only took a month. That was before all the new content was added. It took so long the first time mostly because it's a learning experience, everyone was grouping together, trying to find better loot. That is just the way I see it, but i can understand where you are coming from.

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search