Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,068 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,997
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Poll: Which payment model is ideal for ESO?

20 Pages First « 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 » Last Search
397 posts found
  Acidon

Elite Member

Permafried

1/27/13 7:41:28 AM#281
Originally posted by Aeonblades
Originally posted by Caldrin

Sub with no shop.. this is how mmorpgs should be..

QFMFT

QFMFT

Playing: EverQuest, RiFT, Defiance, APB:Reloaded
Mourning: World of Darkness, Vanguard, City of Heroes

Free, Clean & Safe Quality of Life Software:
http://www.acidonsolutions.com

desertghostn

Novice Member

1/27/13 7:49:25 AM#282
lol p2p is just much wose then f2p also a cash shop is a terrible idea because its helps ppl getting better in the game but that is just my opinion and yes you will atracced muture ppl when it is p2p but still its nice to have younger ppl around because they need to get better too but  its just fun to play with them.
  Remyi

Apprentice Member

1/27/13 9:49:15 AM#283
Originally posted by DSWBeef
Originally posted by Se7enSins
Originally posted by Fendel84M

Actually,

Ultima Online

Asheron's Call

Eve

Dark Age of Camelot

NexusTK

Warhammer

All still require subscriptions to play. I'm sure there are more i'm missing.

Yes you are right, but I meant MMOs have released within the past few years. Out of that whole list Warhammer would be the most recent, and a lot of players have considered it as a failure.

I only mentioned WoW because it's the elephant in any room of the MMO spectrum.

Rift. Rift is doing extremely well. Storm legion brought in a HUGE amount of new players. Also the company runnign Rift is doing pretty well. Defiance looks great, they just signed to publish AA in the west, End of Nations looks great, and they are workign with crytek on Warface. 

They are also teamed up with the people developing ArcheAge as well, apparently. They are a pretty good company, and even they couldn't manage a full subscription based game very well. Defiance is going to be a B2P game.

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

1/27/13 10:05:32 AM#284

I voted

B2P with cash shop (GW2-like)

I won't pay a subscription.(tight budget in a key reason)

Sideras

Novice Member

1/27/13 10:08:18 AM#285
Originally posted by Galadourn
I want TESO to attract a mature audience, so I voted P2P.

See plenty of kids buying pre paid cards, your argument is quite invalid. I'd agree if the only way to sub is by credit card. But don't worry the beauty of ESO is that you can't filter the kids away.

Peters64s

Novice Member

I'll do ANYTHING, just take me from this world to one full of fantasy.

1/27/13 3:56:47 PM#286

I would be awesome if Zenimax made it a B2P with cash shop. It's so simple and it's the perfect option for this game especially. I really doubt that they will make ESO a subscription from the get-go because no one does it anymore except WoW. Due to that fact, I doubt that a majority of the population will pay a monthly fee for this one game, which hasn't proven it self yet, when there are like a hundred other games that are B2P or are free all together. The only reason that WoW has managed to keep it up is because WoW has been around for 8 years and throughout that time, people have made long lasting relationships and friendships through the game which they don't want to break off from. Although, there IS  a big advantage to a monthly subscription as it will allow Zenimax to make a HUGE amount of money, especially in the first month or so of its release. That extra money goes into pretty big improvements and additions to what  will most likely be an already amazing game. Expansions and voice acted NPCs take up a lot of money. Thats why I would be in favor of a monthly subscription. BUT the supscription would have to be like 5$ which I wouldn't mind at all. 5 bucks is the cost of a sandwich which is nothing. I would gladly give up 5$ a month if it meant expansions and more improvements. I would MAYBE give 10$ but then we would have to take into account the game's end game and what it has to offer. So to put it briefly, 

Definitely B2P with cash store.

OR

Monthly subscription but only 5$

hcoelho

Apprentice Member

1/27/13 4:05:01 PM#287

B2P, thats what TES fans are used to. 

Thats the trend and the only way for the game to have a healthy community since release. 

P2P is not possible anymore, unless you are a indie developers catering a niche.  

Mainstream market is long past P2P, if you don't think so, look at the last major releases, what payment model are they using ?

Destai

Hard Core Member

1/27/13 4:26:34 PM#288
P2P Subscription. It's the best way to avoid 75% of MMO asshats.

Or set it up for failure. It's not viable, the proof is in the amount of failures we've seen. It's an unnecessary barrier to entry.

Current MMOs: Wildstar, Guild Wars 2, the Secret World, World of Warcraft

Past Loves: Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest

deakon

Novice Member

1/27/13 4:31:14 PM#289
Originally posted by Destai

Or set it up for failure. It's not viable, the proof is in the amount of failures we've seen. It's an unnecessary barrier to entry.

All that proves is that if your going with a sub you need to have your ducks in a row come launch, these failiers you mention didnt fail because of the pricing model they failed because the games weren't worth the pricing model, if the procing model was to blame those games would have failed right out the gate rather than sell well and not retain

bryroz

Novice Member

1/27/13 4:34:00 PM#290

Personally I don't really care which payment method TESO ends up with.  I think WoWs method works for WoW, it could work for other games such as TESO...but who knows. I doubt our votes will make much of a difference anyway.

-b

Woodheart

Novice Member

1/27/13 7:44:48 PM#291

B2P with purely cosmetic cash shop or no cash shop at all. It is possible, Starcraft 2 has been doing this for almost 3 years now, lots of sells, ok, but that is the actual point: Good game implies good sells, so a cash shop isn´t necessary.

Mollow

Novice Member

1/28/13 1:33:38 AM#292
Originally posted by Woodheart

B2P with purely cosmetic cash shop or no cash shop at all. It is possible, Starcraft 2 has been doing this for almost 3 years now, lots of sells, ok, but that is the actual point: Good game implies good sells, so a cash shop isn´t necessary.

How do you compare SC2 with ESO, different genre no?

loulaki

Apprentice Member

1/28/13 6:53:34 AM#293

subscription per month is like a miserable stat to me, subscription per major update sounds awesome ..!

go look GW2 you hate it or you like its B2P and every month it has updates and events, i have never seen that in other subbed based games ... how you prefer this sub system i have no idea, probably you belong to a previous era of the world were you had money to throw them in the toilet ...

xmenty

Apprentice Member

1/28/13 7:00:31 AM#294

B2P is for me and I wouldn't even consider P2P cos I would rather spend $15 on other game monthly. 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Malacth

Advanced Member

1/28/13 7:19:54 AM#295

I don't know why people even want to pay subs anymore, isn't it only WoW and Eve that actually have subs nowdays?

B2P is the way forward, the game should initially be worth the fee to purchase (ie Huge) and then have a cosmetic cash shop (dyes, cosmetic gear, mounts, pets etc) and updates/expansions should be purchased (as long as they are large, and not just small patches.)

In other words, the way The Secret World has gone.

I think this payment model is good for a few reasons. 

1.) The developers make most (if not all) of the budget of the game back when the boxes initially sell.

2.) You can play whenever you want, you've bought the game, you should be able to play it whenever, not just rent it when you pay a sub etc.

3.) The company is still making money from the cosmetic shop consistently.

4.) The developers are working harder and faster to release decent updates/expansions, decent because players won't buy crappy ones, and faster because the company wants the money. (monthly preferably.)

5.) The player has full control over what they are spending their money on after they've initially purchased the game.

My two cents anyway.

3-4thElf

Novice Member

1/28/13 7:39:43 AM#296
Originally posted by Malacth

I don't know why people even want to pay subs anymore, isn't it only WoW and Eve that actually have subs nowdays?

B2P is the way forward, the game should initially be worth the fee to purchase (ie Huge) and then have a cosmetic cash shop (dyes, cosmetic gear, mounts, pets etc) and updates/expansions should be purchased (as long as they are large, and not just small patches.)

In other words, the way The Secret World has gone.

I think this payment model is good for a few reasons. 

1.) The developers make most (if not all) of the budget of the game back when the boxes initially sell.

2.) You can play whenever you want, you've bought the game, you should be able to play it whenever, not just rent it when you pay a sub etc.

3.) The company is still making money from the cosmetic shop consistently.

4.) The developers are working harder and faster to release decent updates/expansions, decent because players won't buy crappy ones, and faster because the company wants the money. (monthly preferably.)

5.) The player has full control over what they are spending their money on after they've initially purchased the game.

My two cents anyway.

I think most logical consumers and modern investors agree.

The thing is tho' TESO is designed around trying to recreate the WoW success story. They're going to try to launch with a sub because it's a premium name. They'll declare success for three months or so. Everyone will say it's a drag within 6 months, and then it'll eventually become some hybrid of the model you've outlined within a year.

If they break this habit I'll be truly shocked. It's like ZeniMax is going by the 2008 playbook pretty hardcore.

a yo ho ho

Woodheart

Novice Member

1/28/13 7:47:58 AM#297
Originally posted by Mollow
Originally posted by Woodheart

How do you compare SC2 with ESO, different genre no?

It is a different genre, but SC2 has to mantain various servers 24/7 like any other MMORPG, so I´m guessing the expenses would be the same. True thing is Blizzard gets money from tournaments and stuff if I am not mistaken, but still I think without the money they get from the tournaments they would still make profit.

azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

1/28/13 11:55:55 AM#298
Originally posted by Omnifish
Originally posted by Istavaan

Have you played wow?

Can someone explain why exactly it's a given that WoW has a shit community?

The thing with WoW is that so many people play it your bound to find more douches then normal.  But that also means your more likely to find people you do like due to the probabilities of that happening being higher.  I've quit wow about six times and every time I did go back I found a new guild with decent enough people, sure there's been drama, but I doubt you'd every have that in another game.

I get the feeling this has more to do with people on here being pissed of with how, 'their', genre of games has gone and, 'WoW has a shit community', is just another stick to beat it with.

As for OP, I hope they go down the P2P option with a trial.  £8.99 is not much for a well put together game that has lasting appeal, (which I hope this is), and it's a better deal for a customer anyway for obvious cash shop based reasons.

Regardless of how many players that play the game it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out why WoW's playerbase are the worst based on things like" Official T-Shirts with the logo "I Survived Barrens Chat".

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

floreairfoot

Novice Member

1/28/13 12:05:50 PM#299
Originally posted by azzamasin

Regardless of how many players that play the game it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out why WoW's playerbase are the worst based on things like" Official T-Shirts with the logo "I Survived Barrens Chat".

When that came out (years ago) it was funny and relevant.

I can't grasp how you think that works as an example, but ok.

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

1/28/13 12:09:28 PM#300
P2W so the freeloaders will get a spanking in RvR
20 Pages First « 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 » Last Search