Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Dragon Age: Inquisition | EverQuest | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,142 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,292,752
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » How the Developers are out of touch.....

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search
124 posts found
  Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

1/19/13 11:08:00 AM#121
Originally posted by trash656
Originally posted by ZigZags

My biggest concern about an IP that I grew up with and love is that the developers are so out of touch with reality that they are heading down a path similar to what BioWare did with SWTOR. Based on what we know today, I believe TESO will havea  fate similar to SWTOR. Huge budget, exciting for the first 30-90 days, then drop off and fail status shortly after.

Spoken like a saint. You are the man Zigzags, and I agree the developers are completly out of touch now a days in general for "ALL" MMO's

Actions speak louder then words, and their actions say They are only interested in making a quick buck and then grabbing that money too fund their next project. I understand games were always made for profit and money, but back in the day I remember Developers made MMO's in the spirit of gaming itself, they loved to game and roleplay. I believe this generation of Developers are out of touch with everything, including the gamers as well. I am a musician, vocalist and artist in real life, and I've always believed that an artists work will best show in his hard work, and from what I've seen for the past 5 years in most of these MMO's is that there isn't very much creativity at all, just a bunch of formula's from other peoples idea's plastered into something new to make a quick buck. This isn't something that has just happened it's been going on for almost over 8 years now.

A lot of the adults who used to play MMO's don't anymore, because the MMO's have become more like action games over roleplaying games. Not to mention how easy things are and how everything is handed out for doing nothing.

Its to be expected at this phase of the gaming cycle.  In the start, you had the vast majority of Dev's and their staff, doing this, because they loved the games they created.  It was that pride of craftsmanship that drove the games that we all loved.

But that demonstrated that there was money to be be made in these games... That attracted the attention of the suits, and their investors. 

Said investors really only care about the ROI (Return On Investment) they can get.  Thus the suits ended up making many of the important decisions (the investors wouldn't trust mere Dev's with the huge amounts of money involved, nor truth be known should they... ^^).

Thus began the phase of the mass production of games, that we've seen so much of over the last few years. 

Thats why Kickstarter holds some promise. If we can get back to funding the Dev's themselves, and cut the suits/investors out of the loop, perhaps we can see some games that are actually fun again.  "Its a fools hope, but its the only hope we have"...

StonesDK

Hard Core Member

1/19/13 11:15:30 AM#122

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Fr6VF_1LA at 8:04 This is what GW2 did and is totally stupid and is what happens when you force and funnel people to a PVP area. Rather than giving us an open world we can PVP in at any level which is what we haven't seen in a while and is something I think most of s hunger for. Zenimax is failing hard here.

You do realize that both DAoC and WoW both were very successful with having battlegrounds. That's right I said DAoC which many consider one of the best PvP oriented MMOs to date.

I'll concede to world pvp being a fun feature a lot of people (not all) would like to see in a MMO but outside special servers, not even DAoC had world PvP, except for a few people that were able to exploit themselves past the realm guards. World PvP was in seperate areas which is as good as having an instanced area. I don't really see the difference

You don't need to have World PvP to have a successful game

Shadanwolf

Advanced Member

1/19/13 11:21:25 AM#123

The decision makers on SWTOR  had  N E V E R made a mmog...ever. And you wonder why they failed ?

The ESOL  decision maker Matt Firor has built mmog from the ground up .In fact one of his first creations is still going after 10 years....DAOC.

So I think the belief that ESOL will follow the footsteps of SWTOR (who has taken steps to drive other groups(myself included)away from the game, with their insistance on same sex "companions" , doesn't hold up in my book.

trash656

Advanced Member

It is easier to Fight for Principles then it is to Live up to them.

1/19/13 11:38:57 AM#124
Originally posted by Wraithone
Originally posted by trash656

My biggest concern about an IP that I grew up with and love is that the developers are so out of touch with reality that they are heading down a path similar to what BioWare did with SWTOR. Based on what we know today, I believe TESO will havea  fate similar to SWTOR. Huge budget, exciting for the first 30-90 days, then drop off and fail status shortly after.

Spoken like a saint. You are the man Zigzags, and I agree the developers are completly out of touch now a days in general for "ALL" MMO's

Actions speak louder then words, and their actions say They are only interested in making a quick buck and then grabbing that money too fund their next project. I understand games were always made for profit and money, but back in the day I remember Developers made MMO's in the spirit of gaming itself, they loved to game and roleplay. I believe this generation of Developers are out of touch with everything, including the gamers as well. I am a musician, vocalist and artist in real life, and I've always believed that an artists work will best show in his hard work, and from what I've seen for the past 5 years in most of these MMO's is that there isn't very much creativity at all, just a bunch of formula's from other peoples idea's plastered into something new to make a quick buck. This isn't something that has just happened it's been going on for almost over 8 years now.

A lot of the adults who used to play MMO's don't anymore, because the MMO's have become more like action games over roleplaying games. Not to mention how easy things are and how everything is handed out for doing nothing.

Its to be expected at this phase of the gaming cycle.  In the start, you had the vast majority of Dev's and their staff, doing this, because they loved the games they created.  It was that pride of craftsmanship that drove the games that we all loved.

But that demonstrated that there was money to be be made in these games... That attracted the attention of the suits, and their investors. 

Said investors really only care about the ROI (Return On Investment) they can get.  Thus the suits ended up making many of the important decisions (the investors wouldn't trust mere Dev's with the huge amounts of money involved, nor truth be known should they... ^^).

Thus began the phase of the mass production of games, that we've seen so much of over the last few years. 

Thats why Kickstarter holds some promise. If we can get back to funding the Dev's themselves, and cut the suits/investors out of the loop, perhaps we can see some games that are actually fun again.  "Its a fools hope, but its the only hope we have"...

good post and very informative Wraithone. Looking it that way I guess I can see why it's become the way it has. You remember back in the day when Pepsi came out with that Pepsi clear? And no one could understand why they were trying to change something that was already good? It's like that with all these games now. They always try to change something that was already good to begin with. They didn't need to change it, they could of just built upon it and added, instead of changing.

It's like having some stupid jackass coming in trying to change the flavor of Coca-Cola when it's already good to begin with.

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search