Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,664 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,014
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
56 posts found
  Thillian

Hard Core Member

OP  11/12/12 4:13:26 PM#1

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/35051/ZeniMax-aka-Bethesda-Gets-300M-Investment

Article from 2007. Back then, WoW was still on rise, theme-park games that later turned into financial failures (AoC, WAR, SWTOR) were still only being prepared. ESO is probably the last huge-budget themepark title.

If ESO has 300 milion budget, how much did SWTOR have with all its glamorous voice acting and adv campaign? The 500 milion budget now sounds a lot more plausible. 

REALITY CHECK

Qallidexz

Novice Member

11/12/12 4:17:00 PM#2
Originally posted by Thillian

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/35051/ZeniMax-aka-Bethesda-Gets-300M-Investment

Article from 2007. Back then, WoW was still on rise, theme-park games that later turned into financial failures (AoC, WAR, SWTOR) were still only being prepared. ESO is probably the last huge-budget themepark title.

If ESO has 300 milion budget, how much did SWTOR have with all its glamorous voice acting and adv campaign? The 500 milion budget now sounds a lot more plausible. 

I don't know, but yea, I already knew about this $300 million budget, and I know WoW's budget was only $100 million up till launch (which explains a lot).

Baikal

Tipster

11/12/12 4:21:06 PM#3

LOL

No actually it doesnt, but gotta love people who keep dumb conspiracy theories alive. More power to you.

Arcondo87

Novice Member

11/12/12 4:21:29 PM#4
Ill take 300mill, reskin WoW, and pocket the rest :) and watch my sales SKY ROCKET cuz this generation apparenly LOVE WoW style games.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

11/12/12 4:28:26 PM#5
Games were cheaper to make in wow time
You didn't need a whole bunch of mo cap, hi rez textures, fancy post processing effects and expensive actors.

Want more variety in mmos, stop demanding fps quality production values
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

11/12/12 4:30:58 PM#6
Also this cost involves setting up a new studio and what have you. Most of the budget is on the game, but not all of it.

But just thinking about the amount of world in the game it will be expensive. What was the budget for oblivion and skyrim? Because TESO is 9 times the size.
  Qallidexz

Novice Member

11/12/12 4:34:10 PM#7
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Also this cost involves setting up a new studio and what have you. Most of the budget is on the game, but not all of it.

Yea, that's true, plus they created their own graphics engine, that should've cost a pretty penny...

DavisFlight

Elite Member

11/12/12 4:36:05 PM#8
Originally posted by Baikal

LOL

No actually it doesnt, but gotta love people who keep dumb conspiracy theories alive. More power to you.

Conspiracy theories?

When someone comes from inside EA and leaks a bunch of information, and all of that information proves to be true, why wouldn't the budget?

How else do you explain the huge HUGE drop in EA stocks? SWTOR cost a lot, and it made next to nothing on that investment.

It's a shame. ESO might be a good game if they just got rid of the instancing.

FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

11/12/12 4:40:23 PM#9
Are we to assume the $300 million is to only be invested in ESO?  Isn't Zenimax likely to develop multiple games?
  DavisFlight

Elite Member

11/12/12 4:43:11 PM#10
Originally posted by FrodoFragins
Are we to assume the $300 million is to only be invested in ESO?  Isn't Zenimax likely to develop multiple games?

It's their online division. You don't work on multiple MMOs side by side. Not without multiple games under your belt, or not without just being a publisher.

It really is sad to see the lifeblood of DAoC diluted by publishers and investors into making themeparks.

Lanfea

Advanced Member

11/12/12 4:43:30 PM#11

first of all the 300 mil $ are for the whole company and their future games, not only for TESO. just read the article. second, high budget mmorpgs do have  50+ mil $ development cost (not included are marketing or administration). third you can easily reconstruct the development cost of a mmorpg by knowing the estimated amount of employees on this project multiply them with 5000 $ (average monthly cost of an employee for a company) and again multiply it with the months the game is in development.

for those who want real numbers simply look at the financial report of ncsoft for q3/2012.

Thillian

Hard Core Member

OP  11/12/12 5:05:59 PM#12
Originally posted by Lanfea

first of all the 300 mil $ are for the whole company and their future games, not only for TESO. just read the article. second, high budget mmorpgs do have  50+ mil $ development cost (not included are marketing or administration). third you can easily reconstruct the development cost of a mmorpg by knowing the estimated amount of employees on this project multiply them with 5000 $ (average monthly cost of an employee for a company) and again multiply it with the months the game is in development.

for those who want real numbers simply look at the financial report of ncsoft for q3/2012.

Do you think they would invest 300 milion into "future games" which were to be developed six years from then? Do you think they paid in 2007 for games that were to start development in 2013? 

REALITY CHECK

Lanfea

Advanced Member

11/12/12 5:21:16 PM#13

i don't think it, i know it and its easy to get this knowledge. trion worlds (rift, eon, defiance) f.e. was founded 2006 with a investment capital of 100 million € given by f.e. time warner investments group, comcast ventures and bertelsman digital media investments. and the concepts for all their 3 mmogs were on the table back in 2006. just google it :-)

and as a little addition to the topic just read: 50 Million Budget for Rift

and to spread a rumour i heard last week: it seams that funcom is about to get sold. maybe zenimax will by it?

Thillian

Hard Core Member

OP  11/12/12 5:26:52 PM#14

i don't think it, i know it and its easy to get this knowledge. trion worlds (rift, eon, defiance) f.e. was founded 2006 with a investment capital of 100 million € given by f.e. time warner investments group, comcast ventures and bertelsman digital media investments. and the concepts for all their 3 mmogs were on the table back in 2006. just google it :-)

and as a little addition to the topic just read: 50 Million Budget for Rift

I have a different opinion then, I don't think they leave milions of dollars to sit on account for 6 years before using them to finance the so-called "future games". I'm certain they used those 300 millions to set up the online division, get licenses, and pay the staff and maintenance for 6 years until 2013, with some reserve, plus marketing and distribution and other costs associated with ESO exclusively. 

REALITY CHECK

Arcondo87

Novice Member

11/12/12 5:30:11 PM#15
Originally posted by Qallidexz
Originally posted by Arcondo87
Ill take 300mill, reskin WoW, and pocket the rest :) and watch my sales SKY ROCKET cuz this generation apparenly LOVE WoW style games.

If you knew anything about the game, you'd know it was nothing like WoW, but troll on troll, troll on.

wasnt talking about ESO, was saying in general. Larn to read no, where in my topic did i state the game, go troll sumone elses post.

muffins89

Novice Member

11/12/12 5:34:30 PM#16
Originally posted by FrodoFragins

ZeniMax (aka Bethesda) announced today that it has recieved a $300 million USD investment from Providence Equity Partners Inc for convertible preferred ZeniMax stock. This cash will be used to fund its newly formed online division (headed up by former Mythic Exec Producer Matt Firor)              

plus develop and publish future games as well.

OP just spreading rumors.

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

Purutzil

Elite Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

11/12/12 5:39:33 PM#17
Originally posted by Arcondo87

Or take 100Mill, reskin EQ1 and update it, and pocket the rest.  Oh wait that was what WoW basically did my bad. :) 

Seriously though, lets all stop this whole pretending wow was actually original and realize that the formula existed long before and claiming its a clone is just like saying every game is a carbon copy of DnD Paper Edition.

Baikal

Tipster

11/12/12 5:41:26 PM#18

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Originally posted by Baikal  

Originally posted by Thillian http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/35051/ZeniMax-aka-Bethesda-Gets-300M-Investment   If ESO has 300 milion budget, how much did SWTOR have with all its glamorous voice acting and adv campaign? The 500 milion budget now sounds a lot more plausible. 
  LOL No actually it doesnt, but gotta love people who keep dumb conspiracy theories alive. More power to you.
Conspiracy theories?

When someone comes from inside EA and leaks a bunch of information, and all of that information proves to be true, why wouldn't the budget?

How else do you explain the huge HUGE drop in EA stocks? SWTOR cost a lot, and it made next to nothing on that investment.

It's a shame. ESO might be a good game if they just got rid of the instancing.

So you expect your local mailman to have inside information on foreign policy? I mean, he's an employee of the federal government, right? That's about the stretch suggesting the outlandish suggestion for TOR.

EA stock tanked not because someone leaked info (accurate or not), but because they invested money into the game, and it did not meet expectations, no matter what the budget really was. If it was 150 million or 300 million it still did not meet expectations. It's tanking wasnt because of that dollar figure. Far more credible people gave budget info after the fact, and even at the numbers EA gave it still wasnt profitable. Doesnt matter which number is right.

I like the strawman argument though, stock goes down, that proves the "inside information was true." Ignore the fact that it wasnt profitable at any level, regardless what the budget was.

muffins89

Novice Member

11/12/12 5:42:45 PM#19

Do you think they would invest 300 milion into "future games" which were to be developed six years from then? Do you think they paid in 2007 for games that were to start development in 2013? 

they werent/arent investing in a game.  they are investing in a a brand new compnay.  Zenimax Online Studios.  which needed a stuido,  employees,  equipment, ......among other things. 

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

Thillian

Hard Core Member

OP  11/12/12 5:45:56 PM#20
Originally posted by muffins89

they werent/arent investing in a game.  they are investing in a a brand new compnay.  Zenimax Online Studios.  which needed a stuido,  employees,  equipment, ......among other things. 

Which qualifies to be included in ESO budget.

REALITY CHECK

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search