Trending Games | Pirate101 | World of Warcraft | Wizard101 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,603 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,279
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » if TESO ends up a WoW clone, would you still play it?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
98 posts found
  OgreRaper

Novice Member

11/06/12 1:50:05 PM#21
Not a chance. I've played WoW on and off for 7 years. I have nothing bad to say about it. It's just not what I want out of an MMO anymore. I need a strong focus on RvR and territory control like DAOC had, otherwise I will not play it.
  FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

11/06/12 2:23:14 PM#22

Nothing I've heard yet has garnered my interest.  I'm not a big ES fan.  I played through Oblivion but found it disappointing.  I'll eventually play Skyrim and believe I will enjoy it much more.

I'd probably be more interested in TESO if it was made by the Skyrim devs themselves.

MMOExposed

Spotlight Poster

11/06/12 2:42:15 PM#23

Wait, so isn't TESO cloning DAoC?

So if TESO == WoW clone

than doesn't that mean DAoC== WoW clone?

Hummmm interesting...

DeniZg

Hard Core Member

11/06/12 2:51:25 PM#24

Good WoW clone meaning polished engine, alternative leveling zones, numerous battlegrounds and raids topped with arena PVP as endgame? Most definitely yes.

Bad attempt at cloning WoW with no features mentioned above (aka SWTOR)? Most definitely not.

They already announced 3-faction PVP, action combat and quest system similar to GW2 hearts, so I don't see where's this WoW clone thing coming from.

fenistil

Novice Member

11/06/12 2:58:39 PM#25
Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Nothing I've heard yet has garnered my interest.  I'm not a big ES fan.  I played through Oblivion but found it disappointing.  I'll eventually play Skyrim and believe I will enjoy it much more.

I'd probably be more interested in TESO if it was made by the Skyrim devs themselves.

Install and download Nehrim. It is free and legal total conversion mod for Obvilion. Totally new and separate game from Oblivion, everything is new there..  It is MUCH better than original Oblivion.   Just it's start in mines is bad everything after is exceptional.

or / and Morrowind + Morrowind Overhaul mod 3.0 is also great and much much better than original Oblivion.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

11/06/12 2:59:45 PM#26

I'm not a big Elder Scrolls fan.  I have Oblivion but never finished it.  It sounds like they're going after the DAoC themepark template rather than the WoW style.

Anyway I'm not paying a sub for a content churn mmo again.  So if that is the themepark style they're making then no, I won't play.

If they're making an mmo that has well integrated systems, open world, freedom in progression, and such then I might be inclined to subscribe.  But that isn't really what I've heard, what little there is, so far.

Thus far we have pre-defined 3 faction pvp that seems it is going to be implemented in a "safe/unsafe zone" manner.  Pretty much that puts in the former case for me.

Curse you AquaScum!

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

11/06/12 3:25:51 PM#27
No it sounded like daoc.

It sounds more like your typical modern themepark now.

Instanced dungeons, instanced pvp, raids, multiple shards of each world zone.

Daoc had zero instancing, its not "daoc 2"
  DeserttFoxx

Advanced Member

Cry Havok; and let loose the dogs of war.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

11/06/12 3:52:30 PM#28

If it turns out to be a wow clone it shows that bethesda/zenimax didnt learn a fucking thing from SWTOR and its back to playing nothing because if i want to play WO, then id play wow you know why, because wow still exists.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Arcondo87

Novice Member

11/06/12 4:02:22 PM#29
WTF is TESO?
  korent1991

Novice Member

11/06/12 4:08:15 PM#30

I think this "wow clone" garbage has been dragged trough this forums for way to long...

If the game shows up to be good enough to keep me interested, I'd def. play it.

Also, what exactly is a wow clone?!

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
-------------------------------

fenistil

Novice Member

11/06/12 5:01:46 PM#31
Originally posted by korent1991

Obviously there is no definition of it, but most people that use this phrase agree that it is:  mmorpg that is almost purely combat oriented and which include very fast levelling and offer matchmaking instance-based gameplay as it's main dish.

samvenice

Novice Member

11/06/12 5:45:48 PM#32

I'd play anything that has exactly the same RvR core-mechanic of daoc as the one and only mean of "end-game content", with the same type of "pvp based progression" expanding your character's skills customization options (more passives? more actives? a bit of both?) and close to no end-game gear progression (basically daoc2.0).

If to get to the endgame I have to kill millions of rats and clear hundreds of quest hubs or whatever it is that defines the pve portion of the game a wow-clone, as long as the endgame is what I mentioned above I will play it, pay subs, tolerate cash shops, whatever.

Gw2 wasn't that game, planetside2 certainly is not that game (even tho I will give this one a serious shot too in couple weeks), will TESO be that game? (probably not, one can always dream)

adam_nox

Advanced Member

11/06/12 5:49:59 PM#33
If WoW was a vanilla WoW clone with updated graphics I'd freakin play it, so yes lol. Now if by clone you mean a sad attempt to cash in on concepts in WoW, then probably not. 
  Sovrath

Elite Member

11/06/12 5:50:23 PM#34

I dont' know as I would like to see the game in action. Heck, I had no intention of playing SWToR and after I tried it I loved it. Up to the point where i ran out of content.

We'll see. A fun game is a fun game. I don't need a game to always be "open world" nor do I hate all games that have more deliberate leveling paths.

GeezerGamer

Elite Member

11/06/12 6:09:45 PM#35

Is this some kind of rhetorical question?

It's the sad state of the genre. The next big title has as many threads discussing issues with it's business model than issues with the game itself.

fonoi

Novice Member

11/07/12 8:11:29 AM#36
No, I am finished with themeparks. Waiting for a decent sandbox, in the meantime I voted with my wallet and play eve online and runescape now.
  Xasapis

Tipster

11/07/12 8:22:15 AM#37

Personally I'm already tired with fantasy. ESO is entering a market with yet another fantasy themed mmorpg, so part of the appeal is lost right there.

As for the WoW clone characterisation, it can't be further from the mmorpg reality. WoW itself is a chameleon, copying throught the years everything their competition was introducing, to the point where there is nothing original in WoW besides phasing and the ability to not feel like playing a frankenstein monster after all this heavy doppleganging .

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

11/07/12 8:53:24 AM#38
Originally posted by fenistil

Obviously there is no definition of it, but most people that use this phrase agree that it is:  mmorpg that is almost purely combat oriented and which include very fast levelling and offer matchmaking instance-based gameplay as it's main dish.

imo a glorified lobby game. a game where you sit in cities and queue to do small team activites once you hit endgame, also with a heavy gear dependancy, and a strong emphasis on tiered raiding as the "pro game".  Not all post 2004 themeparks are wowclone.

why i think the "GW2 is a wow clone" stuff is nonsense.  Also War and Aion as they are more PVP focused.

but the term is more than apt for SWTOR, thousands of F2P chinese knock offs and to a lesser degree rift, aoc & lotro.

Larsa

Novice Member

11/07/12 9:14:06 AM#39

Didn't vote.

Small chance I'll play TESO anyway, I've stopped playing the big themeparks years ago.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

baphamet

Hard Core Member

11/07/12 11:19:40 AM#40

i will likely try it, as long as its not a direct clone to wow which it doesn't look like it is.

i like the idea of going into ES style dungeons and caves and running into pvp there.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search