Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Lichdom: Battlemage | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,846,260 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,222,211
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Why do they have race limited factions?

12 Pages First « 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » Last Search
228 posts found
  Anakami

Novice Member

4/04/13 8:48:06 AM#141
Originally posted by Hjamnr

I wish you and your dozen (12) friends the best of luck, in Wild Star.

Thanks! I am pretty sure we will enjoy that game, it has a lot of nice features. Now if we could also get a TESO that we enjoy, now that would be super awesome :)

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

4/04/13 8:55:23 AM#142
My guess... that some time they will be adding new races for each faction and maybe even cross over races between factions. But you will need to earn or buy them so they are rare. If there is a demand dont be shocked if its used to reward or make money from that demand. Maybe an expansion you have to buy would be another way to capitalize off this =-) I dont care how they do it as long as its good for the game not just slapped together.
  Anakami

Novice Member

4/04/13 9:12:47 AM#143
Originally posted by Nanfoodle
My guess... that some time they will be adding new races for each faction and maybe even cross over races between factions. But you will need to earn or buy them so they are rare. If there is a demand dont be shocked if its used to reward or make money from that demand. Maybe an expansion you have to buy would be another way to capitalize off this =-) I dont care how they do it as long as its good for the game not just slapped together.

I would agree that I rather prefer that they do it right from the start or not at all. Some patchwork solutions rarely improve a game and a game that tries to be everything will have a hard time convincing anyone.

As I said before, at the moment all we can do is wait until they release more information about the game. I am still hoping that their mega server tech and preference system will allow for lots of options and special rule sets, so that a lot of people will find something int he game they can enjoy :)

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

4/04/13 9:30:30 AM#144
Originally posted by Anakami
Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I would agree that I rather prefer that they do it right from the start or not at all. Some patchwork solutions rarely improve a game and a game that tries to be everything will have a hard time convincing anyone.

As I said before, at the moment all we can do is wait until they release more information about the game. I am still hoping that their mega server tech and preference system will allow for lots of options and special rule sets, so that a lot of people will find something int he game they can enjoy :)

What ya want and how MMOs do it is another. Most MMOs start out with 3-5 races a faction but most MMOs have only 2 factions. ESO has 3 factions so they have 9 races to make art that fits each race. Thats a lot of work and is about how much work most new MMOs take on to start with. How they add races will follow how most MMOs do. Unique races for each faction would be my guess but maybe something else. Flip out if ya like but this is standard fair for MMOs and far from skimping out. DAoC with 3 faction war only started out with 1 more race per faction but the art was not as complex as ESO.

ElRenmazuo

Elite Member

4/04/13 10:57:05 AM#145
Originally posted by Qallidexz
Originally posted by tkreep
Originally posted by Sir7681

AHAHA.... THIS is hillariious. I love how Elder Scrolls players are contantly talking like they're the "VAST MAJORITY" when in reality, this poll proves that 61% of people are either fine with, or HAPPY with, the faction locks.... Looks like ZeniMax got stuck listening to the "vocal minority", and let themselves change their gameplay because of that. Whoops!

Unless the "okay with" people would be okay with it either way, and then you'd have discount them and actually have to compare the people who liked it with the people who don't.

And a poll with only 170 votes is hardly accurate considering this website has thousands of users and of them prolly thousands of ES fans that hasnt or will not even vote. You also have to consider the many ES fans of the console market that could potentially be customers too which a vast majority arent seeing this poll or even this website.  And your right about what you said the neutral side on the poll could care less either way so if you minus them the ones against faction lock wins by 1% so far.  And even if you counted the neutral side the ones against is almost 40% which is still a lot of people if scaled the number up to the amount of players the usual mmo would get as subs. For instance if you were to count 40% of 350k people, thats a whole lot of people against it if u do the math.  And businesses most likely aim for a lot more than 60% customer satisfaction.

Lol, I knew someone would try to justify their way out of this... What about "vast majority"? I thought you ES-loving carebears were the "vast majority". haha. Yea ... 

And P.S: The "neutral" people you're referring to, indicated that they'd be FINE with faction locks... not that they'd be FINE WITH them REMOVING faction locks. 

ok than look at this poll with more total votes on a nother ES thread...erp derp

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/378180/page/1

Tuktz

Novice Member

4/04/13 11:54:49 AM#146

The pvp / RVR / AVA may have taken a page out of daoc's success, but I don't see how PVE in TESO is anything like daoc's.

I don't think the PVE side is any more similar/disimilar to daoc's PVE than any other MMO. In fact I could spout off a couple mmo's that TESO's PVE sound a lot more similar to than daoc's.

So if you're a TES player used to a single player game, and pvp doesn't even interest you, then I don't see how you could say this is daoc reskinned anyway lol.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Sir7681

Novice Member

4/04/13 12:12:19 PM#147
I've said everyting I wanted to say, and I already know it doesn't make any difference, but I felt the need to voice my dislike for the way things were done.  I'd honestly say that the people interested are pretty much split down the middle on this issue, or pretty close to it.  What's been said about not buying the game if you're not happy with it, is absolutely true...and if this game didn't get the following it needed, and flopped, it wouldn't be the first, and it also won't be the last.  All I can say for sure is, it doesn't live up to MY expectations, and I won't be playing it.  For all those who choose to, good luck, and I hope you feel it's worth the money you spend on it.
  rygard49

Novice Member

4/04/13 2:03:50 PM#148

And a poll with only 170 votes is hardly accurate considering this website has thousands of users and of them prolly thousands of ES fans that hasnt or will not even vote. You also have to consider the many ES fans of the console market that could potentially be customers too which a vast majority arent seeing this poll or even this website.  And your right about what you said the neutral side on the poll could care less either way so if you minus them the ones against faction lock wins by 1% so far.  And even if you counted the neutral side the ones against is almost 40% which is still a lot of people if scaled the number up to the amount of players the usual mmo would get as subs. For instance if you were to count 40% of 350k people, thats a whole lot of people against it if u do the math.  And businesses most likely aim for a lot more than 60% customer satisfaction.

Lol, I knew someone would try to justify their way out of this... What about "vast majority"? I thought you ES-loving carebears were the "vast majority". haha. Yea ... 

And P.S: The "neutral" people you're referring to, indicated that they'd be FINE with faction locks... not that they'd be FINE WITH them REMOVING faction locks. 

ok than look at this poll with more total votes on a nother ES thread...erp derp

Oh, you mean the biased poll that uses specifc language in order to get you to agree with OPs stance? That one? Yeah, it's not really a great idea, in general, to use a forum poll as a counter to any argument (this applies to everyone attemping to use a poll to prove their position, not just you in this instance), and even less so when the poll is immediately recognized as biased on it's face.

In that poll DAoC is either Flawless, or it's clumsy, bad, or abusive to the IP. Of the 4 options, the only impossible option to pick is flawless, since nothing is without flaw. Which leaves... ?

It does make it seem like you have actual 'evidence', though, so I don't fault you for trying.

rygard49

Novice Member

4/04/13 2:05:35 PM#149
Originally posted by Sir7681
I've said everyting I wanted to say, and I already know it doesn't make any difference, but I felt the need to voice my dislike for the way things were done.  I'd honestly say that the people interested are pretty much split down the middle on this issue, or pretty close to it.  What's been said about not buying the game if you're not happy with it, is absolutely true...and if this game didn't get the following it needed, and flopped, it wouldn't be the first, and it also won't be the last.  All I can say for sure is, it doesn't live up to MY expectations, and I won't be playing it.  For all those who choose to, good luck, and I hope you feel it's worth the money you spend on it.

Best, most logical, dissenting post I've read. +10

ElRenmazuo

Elite Member

4/04/13 2:28:54 PM#150
Originally posted by rygard49

Oh, you mean the biased poll that uses specifc language in order to get you to agree with OPs stance? That one? Yeah, it's not really a great idea, in general, to use a forum poll as a counter to any argument (this applies to everyone attemping to use a poll to prove their position, not just you in this instance), and even less so when the poll is immediately recognized as biased on it's face.

In that poll DAoC is either Flawless, or it's clumsy, bad, or abusive to the IP. Of the 4 options, the only impossible option to pick is flawless, since nothing is without flaw. Which leaves... ?

It does make it seem like you have actual 'evidence', though, so I don't fault you for trying.

He used a forum poll in the first place for his arguement a few post above all i did was counter it using his own method of arguement which was using the other poll. And before that I even stated that a poll on these forums is hardly accurate...but he instead just try to insult. Maybe you should read up on the rest of the post before u try to talk.

rygard49

Novice Member

4/04/13 2:35:26 PM#151
Originally posted by rygard49

He used a forum poll in the first place for his arguement a few post above all i did was counter it using his own method of arguement which was using the other poll.

I know, that's why I inserted the parenthetical. It wasn't my intent single you out on that portion.

Qallidexz

Novice Member

4/04/13 5:12:49 PM#152
In that poll posted by tkreep, I voted for DAoC 2 with TES elements... and you look at that like it's a bad thing. That's what I was hoping ESO was at the time, and I still am. That poll isn't even asking people what they want, it's mostly asking people what they think ESO was turning out to be at the time... and it looks like very few people voted that it was "being ruined by TES elements". This poll states very clearly how many people are for faction locks, fine with faction locks, and AGAINST faction locks. lol
  baphamet

Hard Core Member

4/04/13 8:44:36 PM#153

Originally posted by Tuktz
The pvp / RVR / AVA may have taken a page out of daoc's success, but I don't see how PVE in TESO is anything like daoc's.

I don't think the PVE side is any more similar/disimilar to daoc's PVE than any other MMO. In fact I could spout off a couple mmo's that TESO's PVE sound a lot more similar to than daoc's.

So if you're a TES player used to a single player game, and pvp doesn't even interest you, then I don't see how you could say this is daoc reskinned anyway lol.

this games PVE will be absolutely nothing like Daoc, Daoc was more like EQ pve minus the raiding (originally)

this games PVE will be more like ES meets GW2 than anything. even the pvp combat mechanics will be nothing like Daoc's.

the only thing this game has in common with Daoc that i can tell so far is the factions and the open pvp being segregated to one giant zone.

this game wont even have battlegrounds like Daoc had.

Sentnl

Novice Member

4/04/13 9:12:37 PM#154
Originally posted by baphamet

this games PVE will be absolutely nothing like Daoc, Daoc was more like EQ pve minus the raiding (originally)

this games PVE will be more like ES meets GW2 than anything. even the pvp combat mechanics will be nothing like Daoc's.

the only thing this game has in common with Daoc that i can tell so far is the factions and the open pvp being segregated to one giant zone.

this game wont even have battlegrounds like Daoc had.

More of this nonsense.

Have you played the game? Tested it? Wait! Are you from the future here giving us your prophetic words!?

Where are you even getting any of this information from? Whether it turns out to be completely true or not...

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

baphamet

Hard Core Member

4/04/13 10:47:59 PM#155

Originally posted by Sentnl

Originally posted by baphamet   this games PVE will be absolutely nothing like Daoc, Daoc was more like EQ pve minus the raiding (originally) this games PVE will be more like ES meets GW2 than anything. even the pvp combat mechanics will be nothing like Daoc's. the only thing this game has in common with Daoc that i can tell so far is the factions and the open pvp being segregated to one giant zone. this game wont even have battlegrounds like Daoc had.
More of this nonsense.

Have you played the game? Tested it? Wait! Are you from the future here giving us your prophetic words!?

Where are you even getting any of this information from? Whether it turns out to be completely true or not...

what part of the info i listed do you question? they have announced many of the mechanics and none of them are like what Daoc had NONE!.

did you play Daoc? it was very static combat like EQ and much like most of the MMO's of that era.

why don't you go read any of the reviews from pax that have explained what combat is like in TESO and attempt to tell me how it resembles Daoc in any way.

until then, cry to someone else.

Vendac

Novice Member

4/05/13 7:58:50 AM#156
Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Sentnl

Originally posted by baphamet   this games PVE will be absolutely nothing like Daoc, Daoc was more like EQ pve minus the raiding (originally) this games PVE will be more like ES meets GW2 than anything. even the pvp combat mechanics will be nothing like Daoc's. the only thing this game has in common with Daoc that i can tell so far is the factions and the open pvp being segregated to one giant zone. this game wont even have battlegrounds like Daoc had.
More of this nonsense.

what part of the info i listed do you question? they have announced many of the mechanics and none of them are like what Daoc had NONE!.

did you play Daoc? it was very static combat like EQ and much like most of the MMO's of that era.

why don't you go read any of the reviews from pax that have explained what combat is like in TESO and attempt to tell me how it resembles Daoc in any way.

until then, cry to someone else.

PvE is DAOC was weak at best at release.  It was hard to level.  There were few quests.  You had to group, and you had to have a balanced group.  There was nothing wrong with it, it worked, it still works, but it is harder.  The biggest issue with DAOC PvE was the fact you could powerlevel which actually destroyed the game at some level as after awhile the starter areas became a wasteland.  Then came WoW with a quest based leveling system you could easily solo and I feel that that one thing changed MMOs for the worse for the most part.  People didnt need to make friends or join guilds, or be social to get a group and get good leveling done. 

I seriously doubt that they will use PvE system like DAOC.  It is simply too hard for most people.  Most casual players dont have time to log in for 2-3 hours to get a decent group and level.  But all the same Im hoping that its not all quest grind either and those that choose to group and do harder quest lines get proper rewards, something on the order of 10X the XP for needing a group to do something that takes an hour vs running solo quests that take 5 minutes. 

Some of the DAOC mechanics are great though and I hope we see some of them make it in ESO.  The game made heavy use of the trinity.  Speed classes to give range in PvP or a getaway in PvE.  Endurance regen classes were needed for groups.   Positional melee styles with real effects and bonuses.  Casters had to stand still to cast and could be interrupted, not this run and gun crap we have in most games now.  Last but not least, no fricking GCD.  Inst cast heals made it possible to keep someone alive in a burst damage scenario, a quick insta DD could interupt a caster, and melee speed was determined by the speed of the weapon and you stats, not some timer.

You cant fix stupid - Ron White

Anakami

Novice Member

4/06/13 6:50:30 AM#157

I hope that at some point the developers would answer a few questions regarding this race lock decision. Mostly why they thought it was sucha good idea to begin with.

I find it hilarious that they emphasize on wanting to bring in the social media and networks and invite you to play the game with your friends. I'd like to ask them then: Tell me, how can I play with my friends if they are race locked into one of the factions right from the start. Can I communicate with them? Quest with them? PvP as a group or guild?

So far the answer seems no, unless they all decide to give up on their favorite race from ES and pick one that happens to be in the same alliance that my race is in. So how does this support social play? What about the guild that we were planning to create? RP events in various regions of Tamriel?

I am really puzzled at this design decision. But there is hoping that they will lift these restrictions somewhere along the development of this game.

Iselin

The Listener

4/06/13 1:48:19 PM#158

I hope that at some point the developers would answer a few questions regarding this race lock decision. Mostly why they thought it was sucha good idea to begin with.

I find it hilarious that they emphasize on wanting to bring in the social media and networks and invite you to play the game with your friends. I'd like to ask them then: Tell me, how can I play with my friends if they are race locked into one of the factions right from the start. Can I communicate with them? Quest with them? PvP as a group or guild?

So far the answer seems no, unless they all decide to give up on their favorite race from ES and pick one that happens to be in the same alliance that my race is in. So how does this support social play? What about the guild that we were planning to create? RP events in various regions of Tamriel?

I am really puzzled at this design decision. But there is hoping that they will lift these restrictions somewhere along the development of this game.

And here I thought you were an intelligent person. You really don't know why they did it? Or are you just using the same old tactic of feigning ignorance to make a point? I'm betting on number 2.

There is a 3-sided war. People and places are separated by that war. This is what happens in wars, the people and territories are separated. That is why they did it. The alternative that is proposed by some is that first you pick a race and then you pick a side so that each side would have an equal mix of all 3 races. From a believability point of view, that is just ridiculous. It sounds like a sport not a war.

You might prefer something different, but saying you don't understand why is disingenuous.

Anakami

Novice Member

4/06/13 10:09:15 PM#159
Originally posted by Iselin

And here I thought you were an intelligent person. You really don't know why they did it? Or are you just using the same old tactic of feigning ignorance to make a point? I'm betting on number 2.

There is a 3-sided war. People and places are separated by that war. This is what happens in wars, the people and territories are separated. That is why they did it. The alternative that is proposed by some is that first you pick a race and then you pick a side so that each side would have an equal mix of all 3 races. From a believability point of view, that is just ridiculous. It sounds like a sport not a war.

You might prefer something different, but saying you don't understand why is disingenuous.

And here I thought you were a person who didn't have to resort to insults :D

Also, you didn't understand my point. I am well aware of the fact that they tried to build this game around their PvP. What I don't understand is that they thought restricting PvE so much and severely limiting the choices of people wanting to play together with friends regardless of race choice was a good idea.

It is also not necessary. They can have their RvR all they want, but they should also offer  different options for those who are more interested in the PvE part. More options is always a good thing.

I know you are probably going to use that faction pride argument, but see, this is where we disagree the most I think. I don't need some artificial faction pride to enjoy PvP. I do PvP for PvP's sake. I PvP because I want to fight and measure my skills against that of other players.

Now if there is also a good reason to fight,backed by ingame lore, that's even better of course. Don't feel it here though, the reasons why some of the races are allied now seem unvonvincing at best. Also the alternative would be great, they just have to make that war more a war between political factions based on agenda than based on race. You know, like Elder Scrolls has always been about conflicting interests raher than racially motivated wars. In any case, my PvE experience does not influence my PvP motivation at all.

The way it is now I doubt you will get any sense of faction pride anyway. You can campaign hop (with a penalty or delay maybe, but the option is in) and what you are fighting for will reset anyway at some point, when a new emperor is chosen by the game. I would PvP anyway, because i like PvP, but feeling some sort of pride just because I pick one of the 3 factions? Hm...nah, cant feel it here. Was a lot different in DAoC though.

So what exactly do you lose if they would allow people to play together and have the PvE part co-op style? I have read some arguments here that stated they need to build up enough hate for the enemy to get a sense of faction pride, so it totally ruins their mood if they would see someone from a different faction.

That's a bit scary imo. I don`t want to hate anyone here, I just want a friendly competition on the battlefield. But alas, I think we still can have both with the mega server technology. I am pretty sure you can be put into PvE zones where you will never see someone from a different faction. You could also have an option to not being able to understand anything a member of another faction says. There, you get your "I am isolated and can hate my enemy now" thingy, and those who don't need or want that to restrict their PvE experience get their preferred playstyle.

I can't see why anyone would be against the inclusion of more options so more people can enjoy the game. Unless...but I won't go there ;)

KaosProphet

Novice Member

4/07/13 2:23:08 PM#160
Originally posted by Iselin

From a believability side:  it's 'just ridiculous' that there are no traitors, defectors, or racial-minorities loyal to the place of their generation's birth than to that of  ancestors.  That every Breton serves Emeric, every Altmer serves Ayrenn and so on.

Of course, that's not *entirely* true.  It has been confirmed that there is an Argonian quest-giver in the Covenant lands, so this restriction, this 'people and territories are seperated' only applies as an absolute to the PCs.  NPCs get to break that rule.

Ergo, a strict sense of 'believablity' is not the reason they did it this way.   What I believe is the real reason they went this route:  Matt just feels more comfortable balancing the AvA conflict by locking the players to given sides according to racial picks.  He believes it makes for a more sporting<sic> wargame that way :p

12 Pages First « 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » Last Search