Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Marvel Heroes | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,902,093 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,274,941
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Why do they have race limited factions?

12 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
228 posts found
  revy66

Novice Member

10/25/12 2:02:04 PM#41
Why not? I wouldn't have it any other way. It provides a sense of realism and immersion and ongoing conflict.
  sapphen

Apprentice Member

OP  10/25/12 2:10:15 PM#42
Originally posted by revy66
Why not? I wouldn't have it any other way. It provides a sense of realism and immersion and ongoing conflict.

My problem is that the races they clumped together don't even get along, they just live in the same area.  Most historical wars wasn't with people across the continent but from neighbors.  That unfortunately distorts realism and immersion for me.

rygard49

Novice Member

10/25/12 2:23:19 PM#43

Every ES game I play I hear a lot of venom when the native races address me:

"What do you want... Outlander?"

It makes perfect sense that cultures band together and form alliances against other cultures. That's what happens in the real world, historically and currently. Cowboys versus Indians, Mongols versus China, Germany 'Supermen' versus everybody. It's human nature that we segregate ourselves voluntarily, like with like.

The advancements in communication, science, and overall education of the world have really contributed to subdue that nature, but presumably the races in the game aren't as advanced as we are.

I see nothing wrong with segregating the races in this game, and I think it builds the lore properly.

rygard49

Novice Member

10/25/12 2:29:41 PM#44
Originally posted by sapphen

My problem is that the races they clumped together don't even get along, they just live in the same area.  Most historical wars wasn't with people across the continent but from neighbors.  That unfortunately distorts realism and immersion for me.

Totally agree with that, and I see where you're coming from. I'd like to see how they explain it lorewise.

Nonderyon

Apprentice Member

10/25/12 3:14:13 PM#45

I dont mind race limited factions...more RPGish this way.

Nonderyon

Apprentice Member

10/25/12 3:19:22 PM#46
Originally posted by rygard49

Totally agree with that, and I see where you're coming from. I'd like to see how they explain it lorewise.

They dont have to get along! thats enought when the rulers "get along" or make some pact, but that is part of the story what we dont know yet

Burntvet

Elite Member

10/25/12 3:24:43 PM#47
Originally posted by Nonderyon
Originally posted by rygard49

They dont have to get along! thats enought when the rulers "get along" or make some pact, but that is part of the story what we dont know yet

All of that may be true, but it can in no way explain that other races/people are not allowed in an area, ever.

cybertrucker

Spotlight Poster

Freeloading mooches are the scourge of the gaming community.

10/25/12 3:27:50 PM#48

Race faction restrictions = win

race class restrictions for the ultimate win

sapphen

Apprentice Member

OP  10/25/12 3:46:28 PM#49
Originally posted by cybertrucker

I never thought I'd see the day when ES fans would embrace such restrictions.  Nonetheless I respect your opinion, ty for posting.

rygard49

Novice Member

10/25/12 4:09:59 PM#50
Originally posted by cybertrucker

I never thought I'd see the day when ES fans would embrace such restrictions.  Nonetheless I respect your opinion, ty for posting.

I actually like the idea of race class restrictions as well for lore/roleplay reasons. From the perspective of a soldier, if you and your friends know techniques and ways of fighting that are a mystery to your enemies, then you have an advantage over your enemy and hold value to your allies. You would keep your techniques a closely guarded secret amongst your kind to insure the continuance of those advantages.

It goes against the way the SP games work, but that's because in the SP games your character has been spawned by destiny during the proper alignment of stars to fulfill prophecy. You're unique in the world that you inhabit. In an MMO the opportunity to be unique has to be limited, otherwise it dilutes the rest of the lore.

I actually always thought it was odd in Skyrim that I was the Dragonborn even though I was a Khajit. The Thuum and the dragon powers were historically always unique to the Nords, and now here comes this outlander who's been written of in Prophecy and destroys everyone else at it. If there are Dragonborn types in ESO I'd like them to be Nord only.

Kuinn

Elite Member

10/25/12 4:57:52 PM#51
It actually makes sense story wise. If two countries are at war, it simply would make no sense that half of the population on the opposing side is actually technically from your own country.
  spankybus

Apprentice Member

"Don''t touch that squirrel''s nuts!" - Willy Wonka

10/25/12 5:34:27 PM#52
Originally posted by Kuinn
It actually makes sense story wise. If two countries are at war, it simply would make no sense that half of the population on the opposing side is actually technically from your own country.

I have to agree with this statement. I voted for racing having choices, but in retrospective, this is far more credible.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
www.spankybus.com
-3d Artist & Compositor
-Writer
-Professional Amature

sapphen

Apprentice Member

OP  10/25/12 5:47:04 PM#53

It fits within the story because that's how they augmented the story, lol.  I'm kind of upset that they initially designed it this way in the first place.  They wanted to created faction/race restrictions and the backstory was built to support that.

From what I've been reading about the lore, they PUG'd these races together just for the MMO (like they did in WAR).  Some of the alliances are spotty at best but I guess it's good enough to make players feel as if they belong together.

dustyhayes

Novice Member

10/25/12 7:37:29 PM#54

Is it me or isn't that a little archaic?  I can't wrap my brain around it - I don't understand why they wanted to limit players like this.  I know it's too late to change it now but it looks like they would've designed the storyline so we could pick one of the 3 major factions after the inital 'starting' zone.

This unneeded restriction diverts away from one of the iconic freedoms of TES... are you happy with this decision or is it just me?

Can't say I'm over the moon about this either, it seems like its the DAoC experience for TESO & not the ES experience, its not a bad thing I've been hearing for years that DAoC PVP was awesome, but like you said its water under the bridge.

jdlamson75

Spotlight Poster

There's some lovely filth down here.

10/25/12 7:40:41 PM#55
I just came to the realization that if tESO had no racial faction restrictions, someone would have made a poll and started a thread about why it needed racially restricted factions.
  funyahns

Apprentice Member

10/25/12 7:41:34 PM#56
I thought the people lived and settled all over the place.  I didn't realize that every race stayed and lived within the borders of their own countrys. 
  sapphen

Apprentice Member

OP  10/25/12 8:53:50 PM#57
Originally posted by jdlamson75
I just came to the realization that if tESO had no racial faction restrictions, someone would have made a poll and started a thread about why it needed racially restricted factions.

lol, you're probably right!

OgreRaper

Novice Member

10/25/12 8:55:36 PM#58
Race limited factions really doesn't bother me at all. I liked it in DAOC, helps give each realm an identity.
  Kuinn

Elite Member

10/25/12 9:09:58 PM#59

It fits within the story because that's how they augmented the story, lol.  I'm kind of upset that they initially designed it this way in the first place.  They wanted to created faction/race restrictions and the backstory was built to support that.

From what I've been reading about the lore, they PUG'd these races together just for the MMO (like they did in WAR).  Some of the alliances are spotty at best but I guess it's good enough to make players feel as if they belong together.

I dont find the initial setting of the story too bad actually, but I must agree the Ebonheart Pact really feels like it had to be slammed together just so there's the third faction. I understand the frustration of some TES fans, but personally I like factions with unique races in mmorpgs, you get that faction pride feeling and fighting the enemy makes more sense PvP wise imo.

One of my problems with GW2 is the fact that the PvP encounters feels as if I was fighting people that I should be on the same side with. The complete absense of unique factions with unique racial characteristics really kills the PvP for me.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/game-guide Here's the short explanations of the factions in TESO. The Ebonheart Pact kinda strikes my eye the wrong way but the rest are more or less fine.

sapphen

Apprentice Member

OP  10/25/12 9:57:53 PM#60

I dont find the initial setting of the story too bad actually, but I must agree the Ebonheart Pact really feels like it had to be slammed together just so there's the third faction. I understand the frustration of some TES fans, but personally I like factions with unique races in mmorpgs, you get that faction pride feeling and fighting the enemy makes more sense PvP wise imo.

One of my problems with GW2 is the fact that the PvP encounters feels as if I was fighting people that I should be on the same side with. The complete absense of unique factions with unique racial characteristics really kills the PvP for me.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/game-guide Here's the short explanations of the factions in TESO. The Ebonheart Pact kinda strikes my eye the wrong way but the rest are more or less fine.

I'm not comfortable with Daggerfall Alliance with Orcs, Redguard and Brenton.  Orcs really didn't align with anyone and there are a few battles between Redguard and Brenton versus the Orcs but technically that happens after ESO.

There is a similar situations with the Bosmers who "have never found a tried and true ally in any other Tamrielic nation".  They usually don't even get involved with wars.

I've read ESO explanations and they did a good job writing it in but they didn't have to do it like that.  Anyways, here is some more reading that I fount interesting; http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Races.  Follow the links to different races for source of above points.

Like I've said before, I don't hate the game and I know they can't change it but I want to proclaim loud and clear that they did not have to conform this IP to fit the generic MMO model for it to be successful.  Warhammer and Swtor both sacrificed many of their core elements and suffered because of it.  TES could've just made Skyrim/Oblivion with multiplayer and probably surpassed most MMOs that have been released lately.  They should've let the hole be a circle and stop trying to force in a square peg.

12 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search