Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,565 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,430
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Why do they have race limited factions?

12 Pages First « 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Search
228 posts found
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/29/13 3:06:54 PM#221
Also if "faction locking is a rookie mistake in rvr"

How come the 2 best games at it - daoc and planetside have very hard faction locks.

Where as games with wooly, wishy washy "soloutions" e.g.
Gw2 with its server shuffling approach
Tsw and rift with their chums in pve, enemies in pvp approach
And swtor with its, sod it, let you play both on the same server.

Have inferior "rvr"
  Maelwydd

Advanced Member

5/29/13 3:08:36 PM#222
Originally posted by ShakyMo
I'm not that arsed about "balance", balance in a mmo is a mythical pink elephant anyway.

Name a mmo that is balanced.

Take out PvP from ANY MMO and you would have it. Imbalance comes from PvP'ers complaining that they lost a fight. PvE'ers wouldn't notice imbalance if the game is designed around each class having a role to play (one half of the whole RPG side of what Role playing game stands for) or if any character can choose skills that matches their playstyle in a freeform way.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/29/13 3:47:36 PM#223
No pveers never while about balance.

I've never read forum posts along the lines of "nerf walocks, my mage can't get a raid spot"

;D
  Delavega86

Novice Member

6/02/13 2:23:27 PM#224

i dont mind that there are factions. i mind that there is race limitation.

this way, you know that ebonheart will be overpopulated, while the other two struggle.

jeffm

Advanced Member

6/02/13 2:40:09 PM#225

I can go with the current design ok, but would have preferred Eve's approach: any race can play any faction.  Eve races still line up pretty well with the correct faction, but there are some folks from the wrong race in any faction. Enrichens the game. imo.

Maelwydd

Advanced Member

6/02/13 4:03:59 PM#226
Originally posted by jeffm

I can go with the current design ok, but would have preferred Eve's approach: any race can play any faction.  Eve races still line up pretty well with the correct faction, but there are some folks from the wrong race in any faction. Enrichens the game. imo.

According to the devs on this game isn't that "too hard" to code? :)

But I agree, since first hearing about race locked factions I have been scratching my head in bemusement.

undeadrat

Novice Member

7/23/13 12:09:06 AM#227
I agree that race lock is a bit of a turn off. My friends may not want to play races that fit in the faction the others want to play. Couldn't they have done it with preferred races in factions?  Maybe if you were from a race not of the land NPCs might grumble insults, charge more for items, pay less for items sold to them and make you sleep in the barn instead of the inn. Maybe certain quests could remove some of the hate modifier as your name gets known in the area. After all, maybe since the war started the races formed more cohesive bands but I'm sure there would be those that stayed where they settled or were they were born. Wouldn't a bit of racial prejudice add to the player experience? A player would probably find it rewarding to say "I have won over the locals proving I fight for their cause".  Just my two cents, and my opinion.
  Amana

MMORPG.COM Staff

7/23/13 10:14:41 AM#228
This was last posted in nearly six weeks ago before today. Please start a new thread for discussing topics that are in inactive threads. This forum is lively enough to sustain new threads.

To give feedback on moderation, contact community@mmorpg.com

12 Pages First « 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Search