Trending Games | Marvel Heroes | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Star Wars: The Old Republic

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,008 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,314,932
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Why do they have race limited factions?

12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
228 posts found
  sapphen

Novice Member

Joined: 1/06/07
Posts: 920

 
OP  10/24/12 11:18:07 PM#1

Is it me or isn't that a little archaic?  I can't wrap my brain around it - I don't understand why they wanted to limit players like this.  I know it's too late to change it now but it looks like they would've designed the storyline so we could pick one of the 3 major factions after the inital 'starting' zone.

This unneeded restriction diverts away from one of the iconic freedoms of TES... are you happy with this decision or is it just me?

Are you happy with the race/faction limitations?

Yes, completely! I'm glad that races are faction restricted.
Not at all, I want freedom to pick my own faction.
Isn't an issue for me.
(login to vote)
  kolargol

Novice Member

Joined: 7/26/11
Posts: 8

10/24/12 11:26:20 PM#2
Restrictions in general are what make games more complex and deep. It forces you to learn to play around them thus adding more than just linear progression.
  User Deleted
10/24/12 11:31:51 PM#3
Simply because thye are going with a DAoC style pvP system called Realm Versus Realm.  Nothing wrong with this, since it takes place 1000 years before the known lore takes place, so in a sense they are creating backstory lore for already established games.
  muffins89

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/15/12
Posts: 1255

10/24/12 11:32:52 PM#4
isn't an issue for me. 

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

  Trudge34

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/08/12
Posts: 389

10/24/12 11:34:17 PM#5
I don't mind the race limited factions as much as you can't explore 2/3 of the world without creating another character within the other faction. You should be able to explore the whole world, but realize that you're going to be a hostile enemy in the other areas and prone to being killed by guards and towns people. 

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
80 Sylvari Ranger

  User Deleted
10/24/12 11:34:18 PM#6
Originally posted by sapphen

Is it me or isn't that a little archaic?  I can't wrap my brain around it - I don't understand why they wanted to limit players like this.  I know it's too late to change it now but it looks like they would've designed the storyline so we could pick one of the 3 major factions after the inital 'starting' zone.

This unneeded restriction diverts away from one of the iconic freedoms of TES... are you happy with this decision or is it just me?

Next time you pick up a game of Morrowind, Oblivian or Skyrim, go cry to the developers that you cant go to another zone.  Or you can extrapolate that concept out and say I am going to be playing Skyrim like you would be in the normal game, but only be able to play 3 races since during the time of this MMO, the races havent hodge podged themselves together. 

 

Its called perspective and its high time some on this site start using some of it.

  sapphen

Novice Member

Joined: 1/06/07
Posts: 920

 
OP  10/24/12 11:36:48 PM#7
Originally posted by kolargol
Restrictions in general are what make games more complex and deep.

Not sure I can completely agree with that.  I understand by limiting choices, you can focus your attention but I do not think that applies here.  It is totally possible to have the initial area non-faction based and then give players a choice of one of the 3 factions after a certain level.  Other games have done similar things without sacrificing complexity.

I understand you want to defend it but logically I see no reason why they have the restrictions.  Most experienced designers can design a game to fit within many parameters and although I don't know the ends and outs of their project it seems like the freedom to pick your own faction should've been on top of their list.

  sapphen

Novice Member

Joined: 1/06/07
Posts: 920

 
OP  10/24/12 11:38:25 PM#8
Originally posted by Zylaxx
Simply because thye are going with a DAoC style pvP system called Realm Versus Realm.  Nothing wrong with this, since it takes place 1000 years before the known lore takes place, so in a sense they are creating backstory lore for already established games.

 

Yes but that doesn't mean that they couldn't have given players a choice after a certain level or during their storyline progression.

  bcbully

Elite Member

Joined: 3/03/12
Posts: 7677

10/24/12 11:38:27 PM#9
It increases the hate factor.
  sapphen

Novice Member

Joined: 1/06/07
Posts: 920

 
OP  10/24/12 11:39:52 PM#10
Originally posted by Trudge34
I don't mind the race limited factions as much as you can't explore 2/3 of the world without creating another character within the other faction. You should be able to explore the whole world, but realize that you're going to be a hostile enemy in the other areas and prone to being killed by guards and towns people. 

That's another problem I have and I feel it's closely connected to the race/faction limitations.

  ace80k

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/04/05
Posts: 147

10/24/12 11:42:37 PM#11
Faction restrictions make a game world more realistic and in turn adds to the whole immersion factor imo. Why should a dark elf be able to march into the home city of the dwarfs without issue, doesn't make much sense. I know dwarfs won't be a playable race in TESO, just sayin though.
  Purutzil

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/02/11
Posts: 2911

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

10/24/12 11:42:54 PM#12
It makes little sense to me considering the Elder scrolls world. I get it in terms of 'faction verse faction' making it appear different, but limiting access to races is just a silly concept for just that area, particularly with a game like Elder Scrolls where it sports having choice. Sure, allign races more with one side but give the player the option to join another even if a majority of their race isn't part of that faction.
  muffins89

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/15/12
Posts: 1255

10/24/12 11:43:05 PM#13
Originally posted by sapphen
Originally posted by Trudge34
I don't mind the race limited factions as much as you can't explore 2/3 of the world without creating another character within the other faction. You should be able to explore the whole world, but realize that you're going to be a hostile enemy in the other areas and prone to being killed by guards and towns people. 

That's another problem I have and I feel it's closely connected to the race/faction limitations.

where have they said you wont be able to explore 2/3 of the game world?  the game is still over a year away dont jump to conclusions so quickly.

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

  dreamscaper

Elite Member

Joined: 8/14/08
Posts: 1384

10/24/12 11:43:38 PM#14
I prefer them, and which they would make more things race/gender/class/etc-specific. It makes a bit more uniqueness in play experience.

<3

  sapphen

Novice Member

Joined: 1/06/07
Posts: 920

 
OP  10/24/12 11:50:30 PM#15
Originally posted by Zylaxx

Next time you pick up a game of Morrowind, Oblivian or Skyrim, go cry to the developers that you cant go to another zone.  Or you can extrapolate that concept out and say I am going to be playing Skyrim like you would be in the normal game, but only be able to play 3 races since during the time of this MMO, the races havent hodge podged themselves together. 

Its called perspective and its high time some on this site start using some of it.

I'm upset that they lost their perspective and adopted an outdated race to faction model.  They had a choice for their backstory and did it in a way so that this restriction was explained.  I do not accept that they designed the game around the backstory.

  sapphen

Novice Member

Joined: 1/06/07
Posts: 920

 
OP  10/24/12 11:54:14 PM#16
Originally posted by ace80k
Faction restrictions make a game world more realistic and in turn adds to the whole immersion factor imo. Why should a dark elf be able to march into the home city of the dwarfs without issue, doesn't make much sense. I know dwarfs won't be a playable race in TESO, just sayin though.

I agree with you in a way. I wouldn't object if some races was unable to join one of the factions but even still there are spies, servants, slaves and many other ways to give us a choice.  They choose the storyline in order to restrict the races/factions.

  User Deleted
10/24/12 11:54:56 PM#17
Originally posted by sapphen
Originally posted by Zylaxx
Simply because thye are going with a DAoC style pvP system called Realm Versus Realm.  Nothing wrong with this, since it takes place 1000 years before the known lore takes place, so in a sense they are creating backstory lore for already established games.

 

Yes but that doesn't mean that they couldn't have given players a choice after a certain level or during their storyline progression.

They could very well open up an Andred/Mordred style server, we just dont know yet.  Normally I would say I hope not but anymore Im hoping they do jsut to shut up the supposedly pvP purists.

  sapphen

Novice Member

Joined: 1/06/07
Posts: 920

 
OP  10/24/12 11:58:25 PM#18
Originally posted by dreamscaper
I prefer them, and which they would make more things race/gender/class/etc-specific. It makes a bit more uniqueness in play experience.

I respect your opinion, it is well stated and I appreciate the response.  I do think some things should be race specific like archtypes, clothing, etc. but I do not agree with limiting the factions.  Although they wrote the story so there is no other choice, I think it takes too much of the uniqueness away from TES franchise.

  User Deleted
10/24/12 11:58:50 PM#19
Originally posted by sapphen
Originally posted by Zylaxx

Next time you pick up a game of Morrowind, Oblivian or Skyrim, go cry to the developers that you cant go to another zone.  Or you can extrapolate that concept out and say I am going to be playing Skyrim like you would be in the normal game, but only be able to play 3 races since during the time of this MMO, the races havent hodge podged themselves together. 

Its called perspective and its high time some on this site start using some of it.

I'm upset that they lost their perspective and adopted an outdated race to faction model.  They had a choice for their backstory and did it in a way so that this restriction was explained.  I do not accept that they designed the game around the backstory.

How can you say its outdated when its only been done 2 times before?  I know not everyone likes factions, but a free for all is not something that is conducive to good MMO gameplay.  There has to be some sembalnce of structure to promote development principles and what not.  All I can say is thank Effing God we didnt get another 2 faction game.

  User Deleted
10/25/12 12:02:52 AM#20
Originally posted by sapphen
Originally posted by dreamscaper
I prefer them, and which they would make more things race/gender/class/etc-specific. It makes a bit more uniqueness in play experience.

I respect your opinion, it is well stated and I appreciate the response.  I do think some things should be race specific like archtypes, clothing, etc. but I do not agree with limiting the factions.  Although they wrote the story so there is no other choice, I think it takes too much of the uniqueness away from TES franchise.

I respect your opinion too, although it is wrong and one sided. 

 

However you do not know the back story to the world of Tramriel and I seriously doubt Bethesda would give ZOS the freedom to create a backstory without some guidance, I even believe Todd Howard said as much recently. 

 

You woudl have a point if TESO was set in the modern TES world, but no one, least of some unknown on a non specific gaming forum could possibly know the back story of a franchise.  Grrr it really chaps my arse when people think they know more then the developers and it shows a sense of arrogance that is truely more sickening then any fanboi could display.

12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search