Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Darkest Dungeon | Crowfall | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,932,015 Users Online:0
Games:768  Posts:6,343,362
Zenimax Online Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » Reviews & Impressions » Massive Subscriptions? I think not!

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
69 posts found
  Amjoco

Elite Member

4/07/14 2:41:09 PM#21
Originally posted by deniter
Originally posted by Sephiroso
Originally posted by Sovrath
Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

QUESTING

The questing is okay there's voice acting throughout the game however questing is pretty generic, the main difference is the amount of running required from one location to the next; at times there's almost too much running between objectives. If you didn't buy the Collector's Edition it'll be even more tedious as you won't have a horse. Players who didn't pay extra will find extremely high gold costs for horses.

I don't see how the questing is "generic".

Generic quests are "go here and kill x of y", "go there and collect y of z".

In ESO's quests I've helped save azura's alcolyte from cold harbor, I saved the phantom of a boy from his spectral father who was trying to reanimate him in an Ayleid ruin where they were shut away from their mother. In a later quest, (I believe it's the one above with azura) the person you saved was the child's mother.

I investigated a poisoned well in an orc stronghold and helped the perpetrator start a new stronghold.

In one Ayleid ruin I rescued scholars who were drawn into "the aether" and while in process discovered the love letters and eventual disturbing end of the writer of those letters.

Now, they don't require as much thought as, say, the secret world, but I wouldn't call that generic mmo questing.

And you did all that by "going there and killing x of y" or "going here and collecting y of z"

Try harder.

Pretty much this.

You can take a generic plot, lets say from The Bold and the Beautiful, have it voice overed and make your player to pick up some items from the ground and kill some mobs, and you have a generic mmo questing.

It's that simple.

With most mmorpgs you could probably use that scenario, but if you listen and get involved with the stories and lore, the quests in this game are much better than most. Of course this is my opinion and others might not like ES lore.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Sephiroso

Advanced Member

4/07/14 2:43:27 PM#22
Originally posted by Amjoco

QUESTING

The questing is okay there's voice acting throughout the game however questing is pretty generic, the main difference is the amount of running required from one location to the next; at times there's almost too much running between objectives. If you didn't buy the Collector's Edition it'll be even more tedious as you won't have a horse. Players who didn't pay extra will find extremely high gold costs for horses.

In ESO's quests I've helped save azura's alcolyte from cold harbor, I saved the phantom of a boy from his spectral father who was trying to reanimate him in an Ayleid ruin where they were shut away from their mother. In a later quest, (I believe it's the one above with azura) the person you saved was the child's mother.

I investigated a poisoned well in an orc stronghold and helped the perpetrator start a new stronghold.

In one Ayleid ruin I rescued scholars who were drawn into "the aether" and while in process discovered the love letters and eventual disturbing end of the writer of those letters.

Now, they don't require as much thought as, say, the secret world, but I wouldn't call that generic mmo questing.

And you did all that by "going there and killing x of y" or "going here and collecting y of z"

Try harder.

Pretty much this.

You can take a generic plot, lets say from The Bold and the Beautiful, have it voice overed and make your player to pick up some items from the ground and kill some mobs, and you have a generic mmo questing.

It's that simple.

With most mmorpgs you could probably use that scenario, but if you listen and get involved with the stories and lore, the quests in this game are much better than most. Of course this is my opinion and others might not like ES lore.

I agree, because others might not like WoW's lore either. It's a major part of why everyone enjoys bashing WoW's questing while propping their own favored game's questing up on a pedestal. Not saying that you are, but others do.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

amber-r

Advanced Member

4/07/14 2:43:31 PM#23

I played WoW shortly after launch. I thought it was horrible and told my friends it was horrible, would fail quickly and then went back to play ffxi.

It turned out to be one of the most successful mmo titles ever made.

No one person or even a handful of vocal people can tell how a game will do.  If you don't like it then it's not for you but it doesn't follow that the game is bad or will flop.  Wait 6+ months and see how it's doing then.

You can make a "terrible" mmo that fails to reach standards of the genre but if it appeals to casual gamers or non-mmo players and they end up liking it, well you will do well.  Casual gamers make up a massive market share, who are also far more loyal than jaded mmo veterans that will never be happy with anything.

Sovrath

Elite Member

4/07/14 5:01:03 PM#24

QUESTING

Try harder.

Then by your logic every Elder Scrolls game presentsquests  the same way as mmo quests.

Except they don't. Instead, you are given a task and you fight your way through whatever is there instead if fighting, killnig 10 and then leaving.

There is a difference between reading a quick text, running to an area, banging out 10 kills and running back  and being asked to help a character, make your way through the area, witness the drama that unfolds. It's no different than any other rpg that has a quest as opposed to "generic mmo quests".

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

4/07/14 5:06:08 PM#25

QUESTING

Try harder.

Then by your logic every Elder Scrolls game presentsquests  the same way as mmo quests.

Except they don't. Instead, you are given a task and you fight your way through whatever is there instead if fighting, killnig 10 and then leaving.

There is a difference between reading a quick text, running to an area, banging out 10 kills and running back  and being asked to help a character, make your way through the area, witness the drama that unfolds. It's no different than any other rpg that has a quest as opposed to "generic mmo quests".

I don't really think these "it's generic" folks will ever get what people are saying when they say this.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Sephiroso

Advanced Member

4/07/14 5:06:23 PM#26

QUESTING

Try harder.

Then by your logic every Elder Scrolls game is the say way.

Except they are not. You are given a task and you fight your way through whatever is there instead if fighting, killnig 10 and then leaving.

The difference between ESO and every other Elder Scrolls game was choices mattered in the ES games. It is not so in ESO. So even though yes when striped bare down the the most barest of definitions, the quests require you to do the same things in both ESO and ES games, they are inherently different because of the resulting outcome.

And also, my statement was to show that it truly is just more of the same generic questing and not some amazing new quest system some of you are trying to have us believe. I wish you God's speed through your rose colored phase.

Distopia

Drifter

4/07/14 5:10:20 PM#27

QUESTING

Try harder.

Except they are not. You are given a task and you fight your way through whatever is there instead if fighting, killnig 10 and then leaving.

The difference between ESO and every other Elder Scrolls game was choices mattered in the ES games. It is not so in ESO. So even though yes when striped bare down the the most barest of definitions, the quests require you to do the same things in both ESO and ES games, they are inherently different because of the resulting outcome.

And also, my statement was to show that it truly is just more of the same generic questing and not some amazing new quest system some of you are trying to have us believe. I wish you God's speed through your rose colored phase.

That's just the thing there is no rose colored phase in this. You simply don't get it.

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Sephiroso

Advanced Member

4/07/14 5:31:08 PM#28
Originally posted by Distopia

That's just the thing there is no rose colored phase in this. You simply don't get it.

I'll see you in 2 months sir. I shall relish the day when we meet again.

Sovrath

Elite Member

4/07/14 7:45:02 PM#29

QUESTING

Try harder.

believe it or not I don't think that's true. At least from Morrowind on.

This is not to say ESO is a shining beacon of quest implementation.

But really, with the exception of you picking your skyrim civil war faction, how many Elder Scroll quests really offered you solid choices that had impact on your game play?

I can only think of a few. Kill Umbra and get the sword or not kill umbra; in Oblivion.

There's a quest in morrowind where you are sent to kill someone and you have the choice to lie and say you did it or actually kill them. I think you get the reward either way.

There must be more but I can only think of the daedric quests and they seem to come down to "do the quest or don't do the quest".

Morrowind seemed to have more choices but as far as I can recall (I'm casually playing through it again) many of them are "kill him/her or don't kill him/her".

Ottherwise I can't recall any other quests that gave a solid choice. Can you?

Distopia

Drifter

4/07/14 7:48:31 PM#30
Originally posted by Distopia

I'll see you in 2 months sir. I shall relish the day when we meet again.

What exactly do you think will change two months from now? I can guarantee I'll still prefer ESO's quest design over WOW's or games like it.

goboygo

Hard Core Member

4/07/14 8:38:58 PM#31

Players are spread across thousands of instances of each zone so that you don't have people tripping over each other.  Your not going to ever see large numbers of people in one place because that's how they designed their infrastructure.    My guess is the most people you will every see together is in Cyrodiil.

You cant use server numbers (because there are no dedicated server realms) or zone numbers to determine how many people are playing the game, ever.

You have to take Zenimax's word for it if and when they publish it.

Sephiroso

Advanced Member

4/07/14 9:33:31 PM#32

believe it or not I don't think that's true. At least from Morrowind on.

This is not to say ESO is a shining beacon of quest implementation.

But really, with the exception of you picking your skyrim civil war faction, how many Elder Scroll quests really offered you solid choices that had impact on your game play?

I can only think of a few. Kill Umbra and get the sword or not kill umbra; in Oblivion.

There's a quest in morrowind where you are sent to kill someone and you have the choice to lie and say you did it or actually kill them. I think you get the reward either way.

There must be more but I can only think of the daedric quests and they seem to come down to "do the quest or don't do the quest".

Morrowind seemed to have more choices but as far as I can recall (I'm casually playing through it again) many of them are "kill him/her or don't kill him/her".

Ottherwise I can't recall any other quests that gave a solid choice. Can you?

It's been awhile since i played Skyrim, but pretty much all the guild quests. You could help whatever guild leader was already in place or kill them and overthrow the leadership and become the new leader. The fact that with the exception of a few npcs, if you killed an npc they stayed dead.(i understand that this isn't necessarily centered on quests but it leads credibility to the whole choices matter discussion).

There was that one quest to capture the murderer in that one city with the Nordish sounding house that you could purchase. Also quite a few of the Daedra quests had a permanent choice to them(though i think most people made sure to complete them to get the daedra weapon lol so not much choice if you wanted the weapon, like that one where the priest went into the house and ended up getting caught and you bash his head in to death).

Those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head, i was trying to remember some of the side quest ones but they're all blurry, i think there was one you could do that would make most the Orc camps be friendly with you once you completed it so they wouldnt be attack on sight anymore.

Damedius

Apprentice Member

4/07/14 11:57:06 PM#33
Originally posted by Mothanos

Generic questing ? realy ? i mean realy ?
Are we playing the same game oO ?

I HATE QUESTING !!!! but ESO got that part covered into perfection !
Man i wonder what it takes to get people happy these days lol.

That's the rose colored glasses speaking.

This is literally every other post you post.

Don't you get tired of saying the same thing over and over.

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over.......................................................

Mtibbs1989

Advanced Member

OP  4/08/14 10:02:45 AM#34

I found many of the quests to be bland and/or generic. Of course I've played just about every Elder Scrolls game and ESO's quests are very lack luster. Most of them are in between the, "go to X location and kill Y" and the unique quests the series is known for. Go play Morrowwind, Oblivion, Daggerfall, and Skyrim again and you can tell there's a major difference with the quests.

After getting off work last night I played another 9 levels, I'm now up to 20 and my opinion still holds firm. The majority of the time it's, "go to location X and kill Y" with the occasional puzzle activity here or there. I did however, enjoy blowing up chickens with a wand. 

Anyways, overall I would have loved to see these quests a little more fleshed out. I don't just want to do a puzzle ever 30-45 minutes that only lasts 30 seconds. The stories are okay I suppose, it's standard Elder Scrolls story telling I often dread some of the voice actors. Like the female voice actor in the plague town just after Stonefall. It was horrible listening to her.

I'm going to also add another gripe I'm starting to have and it's with PvP. They should have added a separate leveling system for the PvP zone as people who hit 50 without doing a single ounce of PvP can become veteran and dominate entire groups of players. Had they added a leveling system separate from the PvE side of the game it would have allowed for additional progression and would truly show off the hard work people poured into their characters for PvP. 

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

deakon

Novice Member

4/08/14 10:36:17 AM#35

QUESTING

Try harder.

Pretty much this.

It's that simple.

You have just described every single quest or mission in every single mmo, rpg, fps, action game etc

Go somewhere kill things pick up/interact with item, that is every mission in 90% of all story based games right there, how would/could you do it differently?

Distopia

Drifter

4/08/14 12:23:26 PM#36

I found many of the quests to be bland and/or generic.

When people say this it's almost as if they're saying this isn't the case with just about every RPG SP or online. TES games are filled with generic style quests, every RPG is, look at the thieves guild in SKyrim and the side quests to reinstate the guild, they're all generic bland go grab this bring it back and listen to the same line spoken over and over again. You have to do so many of them too.

ohioastro

Hard Core Member

4/08/14 2:55:12 PM#37
Originally posted by Mothanos

Generic questing ? realy ? i mean realy ?
Are we playing the same game oO ?

I HATE QUESTING !!!! but ESO got that part covered into perfection !
Man i wonder what it takes to get people happy these days lol.

That's the rose colored glasses speaking.

I see a lot of people coming in and posting about how much they enjoy the questing and how non-generic they find it.  You might wish to consider the possibility that your opinions are not universal.  For starters, it would help to know what a "non-generic" quest would look like.  Second, I really like the fact that it appears that the game world responds to my actions - which is very unusual for a MMO.  I gather that you seem to think that real consequences only occur if other players are impacted by your actions; why?

I think the difference between their reaction and yours is that, for many people, it is entirely enough to feel as if the world as seem by a given character is changed.

Rusque

Hard Core Member

4/08/14 3:18:10 PM#38

People bashing the quests in ESO need to provide a list of MMO's with superior quests if their claim is to have any legs to stand on. What can you offer? TSW? Cause that's the only other MMO I can think of with good writing and even then you literally are asked to kill x in the game. And the puzzles are known as press "b" to google - because many of the quests cannot be solved through in-game clues alone and require googling (not for walkthrough's mind you).

I do like TSW's quests, but outside of that I'm at a loss at which MMO's you have all played in the last 20 years with exceptional quests and writing.

Even if you liked SWTOR, that still brings it to 3 TSW, SWTOR, ESO. I'm trying to think of others with better written quests . . . I can't. Please refresh my aging memory.

And people complaining that the quests only involve

1. Killing something

2. Talking to something.

3. Interacting with something.

4. Puzzle.

May I ask what games you're playing in which these are not present and standard in?

Every ES game? Check.

Witcher? Super Check.

Zelda? Check.

Mass Effect series? Aaaaaand check.

Torment? Check.

Every final fantasy? Check.

Chrono Trigger? Check.

Baulder's Gate? Check.

Dragon Age Origins? Check.

In fact, the entire gaming industry is built upon those 4 core pillars of design. If you have access to some other highly regarded games that don't follow those principles, please do share. Because I think my brief list there has some of the most well received RPG's of all time on it.

ropenice

Hard Core Member

4/08/14 3:36:16 PM#39
Originally posted by deakon

Try harder.

Pretty much this.

It's that simple.

You have just described every single quest or mission in every single mmo, rpg, fps, action game etc

Go somewhere kill things pick up/interact with item, that is every mission in 90% of all story based games right there, how would/could you do it differently?

Thats the problem with these posts, they never give an example of a better quest design or the game that supposedly do it better. Of all the mmos ive played i thought DDO did the best at quest design with the thought, polish, difficulty (on elite level one trap can wipe party), but you could still break it down to going places and killing/collecting things if you ignore the other aspects of what makes quests different-story, challenge, journey (not the band, but how led through interesting environs), surprises, etc.

There will never be quests that are truly unique until games advance to having randomly generated content- ie player chooses goals reasons to adventure and the game creates content/journey of a random/never repeated adventure to goals. Problem is, people are tired of quests that feel like others they've done or once done, boring to repeat over and over.

Viadric

Novice Member

4/08/14 3:38:17 PM#40
Can't wait for this to go F2P in six months so i don't have to pay anything to play it. I hope they aren't to hardcore on the F2P restrictions though like LOTRO. 
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search