Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,640,846 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,075,496
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Disappointed by the Depth of the Previews

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
68 posts found
  Arakazi

Hard Core Member

2/07/14 1:54:45 PM#21
I wonder why the NDA is still up, everyone who was desperate to play it already has.....

RebelScum99

Hard Core Member

2/07/14 1:58:35 PM#22
Originally posted by keithian
note***** Kudos to MMORPG.com whose articles were more helpful than just about any other outlet (so far).

+1.  MMORPG.com and I have always had a love/hate relationship, but I do have to commend them here.  I thought Bill Murphy's Good/Bad article was very well done and gave me more info on the game than I'd previously gotten.  

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

2/07/14 2:13:10 PM#23
Originally posted by Arakazi
I wonder why the NDA is still up, everyone who was desperate to play it already has.....

Is playing it... In the current beta.... And only the negatives, and people like me stuck somewhere  in a train on route home, are on the forums...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations)
Currently playing : The Elder Scrolls Online

Nadia

Elite Member

2/07/14 2:19:12 PM#24
Originally posted by Sovrath

Seriously, grab a key when they come available and try it out.

free keys were still available when i checked 3 hours ago

http://www.curse.com/betas/teso-beta-key-giveaway

User Deleted
2/07/14 2:20:48 PM#25

How many of us are telling the truth one way or the other?

How many web pages are telling the truth one way or the other? Hint:  (see historical comments before games release)

How many are just toying around with this opportunity to mess with people?

How many of us telling the truth are speaking the truth as you would see it too?

How many of us are trashing the game because of how greedy they have all become?

There is only one way to get a real assessment of the game, and that's to give each and every game a fresh chance with an open mind and let yourself do the judging rather than these forum users and web pages.

I love WoW, COD, HALO, Chess, Hearthstone, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, GW2, LOTRO, World of Tanks, PS2, D3, DayZ, ......... If I were to base what I play off of what the people on forums and web pages say, I probably wouldn't play any of those games. The vocal majority with respect to any game are the players that don't like it. The people that do like it are busy playing the games they like and they dont have time for web pages.

World of Warcraft is a prime example - according the culture on this website you would think WoW was pure garbage. Seems to me when I'm playing it though, the other people playing are enjoying themselves as well.

Dibdabs

Elite Member

2/07/14 2:28:25 PM#26
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its not, its a very biased review from someone that :

does not read quest texts, neither listens to most of the voice overs.

NO-ONE sits through the boring, uninspired quest waffle, not these days.  I gave up on reading the generic garbage in 2000.

pmaura

Apprentice Member

2/07/14 2:35:01 PM#27
Originally posted by ropenice
Originally posted by Akerbeltz

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/

Enough said.

Once i see a previewer that complains the game wasn't free and you actually have to spend money on a product, I begin to doubt his sincerity in reviewing. He might be right on all he said, but to complain about having to pay before you play shows something about how he games. I'm not planning on playing ESO, unless a lot of good things come out once NDA is lifted, but he seemed to be against the game from the start. Also, he says he likes the vacuous experience of running quest chains and not grouping, raiding or pvping, but the first 5 levels were so terrible and different than other games first 5 levels? I can't remember many games (AoC was good start) with truly engaging 1-5 content. He might be right, but seemed to have it out for ESO, even saying he wasn't expecting much. Hopefully the NDA lift will give us a more balanced view.

actually he has no problem paying as long as there is a game there worth it, his issue was he realized that it was so bad the only way they would recoup money was by making people pay as much as they could up front that they then felt obligated to pay for the fee after that so that they didnt think they made a bad purchase.

This is not an elderscrolls game. Why I cant just be a fighter. This game is all about about being a hybrid magic user. If they really wanted an elderscrolls game they would of created a seamless world and allowed for a morrwind/obliviion class creation

Sovrath

Elite Member

2/07/14 2:40:59 PM#28
Originally posted by Dibdabs

NO-ONE sits through the boring, uninspired quest waffle, not these days.  I gave up on reading the generic garbage in 2000.

That's not remotely true.

Try "many people".

But how many? who knows.

I always read the quests and the friends I have in my online guild read the quests.

I"m sure there must be others.

keithian

Elite Member

OP  2/07/14 2:41:58 PM#29
Originally posted by Dibdabs

I love when people use terms like No-one like you and another poster. Speak for yourself. There is still a large audience for those that prefer story based games, that read the lore, that read the books, that don't want to skip the immersion that a quest brings. It may not be the entire World of Warcraft base, but its still a healthy paying segment of the MMO population

There Is Always Hope!

keithian

Elite Member

OP  2/07/14 2:44:52 PM#30
Originally posted by JJ82

OP, the reason why you have not seen any in depth reviews is that NO ONE CAN. They have only allowed a small group of testers to test the entire game. Everyone else including the press has only seen the starting area and end game PvP zone.

2 months to go, the bulk of the pve game hasn't seen full testing. more derp from Firor and friends.

Did you read my post? Thats why I'm disappointed. I was hoping to learn something new or at least more detailed from the previews beyond the first 10 levels, especially around group, adventure zones, PVP, master dungeons, social stuff etc. They should have allowed them to start at a higher level if they wanted to.

There Is Always Hope!

JJ82

Advanced Member

2/07/14 3:23:38 PM#31

OP, the reason why you have not seen any in depth reviews is that NO ONE CAN. They have only allowed a small group of testers to test the entire game. Everyone else including the press has only seen the starting area and end game PvP zone.

2 months to go, the bulk of the pve game hasn't seen full testing. more derp from Firor and friends.

Did you read my post? Thats why I'm disappointed. I was hoping to learn something new or at least more detailed from the previews beyond the first 10 levels, especially around group, adventure zones, PVP, master dungeons, social stuff etc. They should have allowed them to start at a higher level if they wanted to.

Actually I did. you said they should have let people start at 20 or 30 and encourage them to group. I am pointing out how they cant. The beta weekend is lvl capped so they couldn't see more of the game even If they wanted to.

So far, no beta weekends have been for mid to high level except for the PvP beta weekend which was stuck in pvp wonderland.

So again, more derp from Firor, unless it is part of the plan not to let anyone see the rest of the game. Then I guess we can start comparing it to Age of Conan as well as SWTOR. AoC was a bust beyond the starting zone.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Sovrath

Elite Member

2/07/14 4:23:37 PM#32

So far, no beta weekends have been for mid to high level except for the PvP beta weekend which was stuck in pvp wonderland.

So again, more derp from Firor, unless it is part of the plan not to let anyone see the rest of the game. Then I guess we can start comparing it to Age of Conan as well as SWTOR. AoC was a bust beyond the starting zone.

Admittedly, this is a concern.

I get why any company wouldn't want players carte blanche leveling through the entire game  but I think they are going to have to show some end game content (granted the pvp is "end game content") before they launch or else people are not going to be amused.

As you said, Age of Conan again.

Fendel84M

Defender of Worlds

I actually still like MMORPGs

2/07/14 4:28:09 PM#33
What ever happened to a little mystery in our games now? What is this new trend of people needing to know about every single aspect of a game all the way through end game before it even releases? Maybe Zenimax wants people to play the game and experience it on their own rather than showing us "this is all the high level dungeons this is the end game gear this is what the pvp zones look like etc". Do you want to see the end of a movie before you watch it to?

Arakazi

Hard Core Member

2/07/14 4:28:32 PM#34

Is playing it... In the current beta.... And only the negatives, and people like me stuck somewhere  in a train on route home, are on the forums...

Your not missing much. Let's just say there is a huge gaping flaw in the way the server is organized, build a community is going to be impossible outside the guild.

Arakazi

Hard Core Member

2/07/14 4:30:11 PM#35
Originally posted by Fendel84M
What ever happened to a little mystery in our games now? What is this new trend of people needing to know about every single aspect of a game all the way through end game before it even releases? Maybe Zenimax wants people to play the game and experience it on their own rather than showing us "this is all the high level dungeons this is the end game gear this is what the pvp zones look like etc". Do you want to see the end of a movie before you watch it to?

whats wrong with making an informed choice om whether or not to buy a game or not.

BeansnBread

Elite Member

2/07/14 4:34:10 PM#36
Originally posted by Fendel84M

whats wrong with making an informed choice om whether or not to buy a game or not.

Especially a game where you could potentially spend 150 hours playing through a quest grind only to find out you actually don't like what they have to offer at end game. I think MMORPGs are fundamentally different because of the amount of time it takes to get to the interesting bits.

SWTOR is the greatest mmo ever!

MikeB

MMORPG.com Community Manager

2/07/14 5:12:23 PM#37

I woke up this morning kinda late and haven't popped into beta yet (I will later), but I quickly skimmed through several of the previews around the internet from places like Escapist, IGN, Eurogamer, Toms Hardware, etc (about 15 others) and without a doubt the game is getting mixed preview reactions. In fact, they were more mixed this close to release than I think even TOR was. Now none of this bothers me, because that is what I was expecting. What I was expecting was differing opinions about trying to appeal to MMOers versus Skyrim, about the graphics, about whether it needed to or whether it did feel alive as the single player games, whether the combat was good or not, whether it does any new at all or not, etc. I saw some articles where some reviewers obviously disliked it in the past and now were feeling 'better' and others that clearly felt the subscription will hurt it. I did see what article where someone who prefer consoles and was hesitant about the game controls/UI carrying over to consoles and he seemed to be happy about what he saw, so that was positive lol.

None of this disappointed me.

What disappointed me was that I was hoping to see more extensive reviews of the features from several outlets and it was clear to me that none of them got very far and were judging the experience based on the tutorial, the starting area, and a little bit beyond. I didn't see much about the PVP, grouping, very little about crafting, feeding the horse, side stuff, social stuff, I mean, nothing at all useful. I really think Zenimax made a mistake not giving them access to higher level content and letting them start at level say 20 or 30 if they wanted to. Also they should have encouraged them to group.

Anyway, maybe the mixed bag will be a good thing when they get to play through the entire game as it may introduce them to a boatload of stuff they weren't privy too. None of this puts a damper on my expectations, but I don't think they (Zenimax) were helping themselves with what they decided to share.

note***** Kudos to MMORPG.com whose articles were more helpful than just about any other outlet (so far).

I wrote a 2,000 word blowout on crafting. I'm not sure how much more in-depth I could have gone here... :P

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

JJ82

Advanced Member

2/07/14 5:36:01 PM#38
Originally posted by MikeB

I wrote a 2,000 word blowout on crafting. I'm not sure how much more in-depth I could have gone here... :P

That's not really a blowout, its just the basics.

There is no need to over-hype. You didn't get a chance to see what crafting is like beyond the beta level limit so we still have no idea how deep it actually is. There is no information at all about the variety of what can be made and how useful it is and those are the two most important aspects about crafting. Variety and usefulness.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Uhwop

Hard Core Member

2/07/14 6:27:35 PM#39
Originally posted by ropenice
Originally posted by Akerbeltz

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/

Enough said.

Once i see a previewer that complains the game wasn't free and you actually have to spend money on a product, I begin to doubt his sincerity in reviewing. He might be right on all he said, but to complain about having to pay before you play shows something about how he games. I'm not planning on playing ESO, unless a lot of good things come out once NDA is lifted, but he seemed to be against the game from the start. Also, he says he likes the vacuous experience of running quest chains and not grouping, raiding or pvping, but the first 5 levels were so terrible and different than other games first 5 levels? I can't remember many games (AoC was good start) with truly engaging 1-5 content. He might be right, but seemed to have it out for ESO, even saying he wasn't expecting much. Hopefully the NDA lift will give us a more balanced view.

Or maybe he was trying to make the point that if you can get the same experience in another product, for far less an entry fee, than it doesn't make sense to charge for your product that really doesn't offer anything over that other product. 

Like say if you make a game that is very much like GW2, it doesn't seem to make much sense to charge more for that product. 

You can just go play GW2 and save quite a bit of money. 

keithian

Elite Member

OP  2/07/14 6:28:08 PM#40
Originally posted by MikeB

I woke up this morning kinda late and haven't popped into beta yet (I will later), but I quickly skimmed through several of the previews around the internet from places like Escapist, IGN, Eurogamer, Toms Hardware, etc (about 15 others) and without a doubt the game is getting mixed preview reactions. In fact, they were more mixed this close to release than I think even TOR was. Now none of this bothers me, because that is what I was expecting. What I was expecting was differing opinions about trying to appeal to MMOers versus Skyrim, about the graphics, about whether it needed to or whether it did feel alive as the single player games, whether the combat was good or not, whether it does any new at all or not, etc. I saw some articles where some reviewers obviously disliked it in the past and now were feeling 'better' and others that clearly felt the subscription will hurt it. I did see what article where someone who prefer consoles and was hesitant about the game controls/UI carrying over to consoles and he seemed to be happy about what he saw, so that was positive lol.

None of this disappointed me.

What disappointed me was that I was hoping to see more extensive reviews of the features from several outlets and it was clear to me that none of them got very far and were judging the experience based on the tutorial, the starting area, and a little bit beyond. I didn't see much about the PVP, grouping, very little about crafting, feeding the horse, side stuff, social stuff, I mean, nothing at all useful. I really think Zenimax made a mistake not giving them access to higher level content and letting them start at level say 20 or 30 if they wanted to. Also they should have encouraged them to group.

Anyway, maybe the mixed bag will be a good thing when they get to play through the entire game as it may introduce them to a boatload of stuff they weren't privy too. None of this puts a damper on my expectations, but I don't think they (Zenimax) were helping themselves with what they decided to share.

It was your crafting article and the thoughtful way that Bill wrote his that led to my note giving you kudos. Trust me its appreciated :-).

There Is Always Hope!

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search