Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | EverQuest | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,902,283 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,276,161
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Great preview by RPS

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
51 posts found
  pmaura

Apprentice Member

OP  2/07/14 2:25:32 PM#1

my thoughts exactly by one of the few reviewers out there that not get paid handsomly to give positive reviews

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/#more-188471

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

2/07/14 2:34:52 PM#2
Originally posted by pmaura

my thoughts exactly by one of the few reviewers out there that not get paid handsomly to give positive reviews

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/#more-188471

Most biased review..

he obviously playtested the game to trash it... Why? 

Because trashing games is cool..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

keithian

Hard Core Member

2/07/14 2:48:53 PM#3
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Most biased review..

That review, also not surprisingly posted in my thread lol, would have been trashed either way. If it was positive, the same poster(s) would have said they were paid by Zenimax for the preview. In fact, thats all we heard before today. 

There Is Always Hope!

Uhwop

Hard Core Member

2/07/14 5:18:09 PM#4
Pretty much what I would expect from an impression that doesn't let it slide because of the name of the game. 
  Fdzzaigl

Hard Core Member

2/07/14 5:51:55 PM#5

Most biased review..

The only thing that's biased for sure is this thread's title. Otherwise, it's the authors opinion.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

GregorMcgregor

Advanced Member

2/07/14 6:06:36 PM#6
Level 7 quote casts insta doubt, but thank you for the good laugh. :)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!

Elikal

Spotlight Poster

“No path is darker then when your eyes are shut.” -Flemeth

2/07/14 6:07:39 PM#7
Well I wish we who are in beta could comment. It's sort of unfair, press can talk and beta testers can reply.

A forum is a place where people can discuss about different opinions. So what I don't get is, how people react offended when they come to a forum and then find... well different opinions. If a different opinion offends you, what are you even doing here?

Buttski

Apprentice Member

2/08/14 8:30:46 AM#8

Most biased review..

Well, reviews don't have to be positive. And it pretty much sums it all up.

funyahns

Apprentice Member

2/08/14 8:34:31 AM#9
Originally posted by Buttski

Most biased review..

Well, reviews don't have to be positive. And it pretty much sums it all up.

I am sure he secretly loved the game though he just gave a sub par review in order to please all the hipsters in the world.  Personally when someone claims a game is a 5 or 6 I find that to be far more likely than a game being a 9 or a 10.

Adokas

Novice Member

2/08/14 8:44:57 AM#10

Funny how all the reviews that don't like the game are great and totally unbiased. But if there's anything positive. ZOMG PAID BY ZENI. Ridiculous.

Uhwop

Hard Core Member

2/08/14 9:38:43 AM#11
Originally posted by Adokas

Funny how all the reviews that don't like the game are great and totally unbiased. But if there's anything positive. ZOMG PAID BY ZENI. Ridiculous.

Interestingly enough the very first response in this thread is a poster calling it the "most biased review". 

RPS is saying the same thing that a lot of other previewers have said, strange. 

Adokas

Novice Member

2/08/14 9:45:55 AM#12
Originally posted by Uhwop

Interestingly enough the very first response in this thread is a poster calling it the "most biased review". 

Yeah, they do. Hopefully that should silence the people here and there who are certain Zenimax paid the press. :-)

Torcip

Advanced Member

2/08/14 9:47:28 AM#13
TBH it seemed like he was not really an elder scrolls fan and didn't even want to be writing what he wrote. It's perfectly fine that he doesn't like ES games, but if I was a reviewer who hated CoD games I'm probably not going to be happy if I was assigned the next CoD game to review.  That's what it seems happened here to me, a very biased review that from the very first paragraph was meant to do nothing but trash it.
  Uhwop

Hard Core Member

2/08/14 9:52:25 AM#14

Yeah, they do. Hopefully that should silence the people here and there who are certain Zenimax paid the press. :-)

I noticed in Angry Joe's video preview he made a comment about possibly not getting anymore beta invites because he didn't give a glowing impression of the game. 

I have to wonder if he knows something, seeing as he's part of the gaming press who makes a living off reporting on video games. 

And to be honest, websites are all about traffic, the more they get the more money they make on adverts.  I'm not really so naïve as to think that websites don't structure writing based on what they think will generate them more traffic. 

Uhwop

Hard Core Member

2/08/14 9:55:44 AM#15
Originally posted by Torcip
TBH it seemed like he was not really an elder scrolls fan and didn't even want to be writing what he wrote. It's perfectly fine that he doesn't like ES games, but if I was a reviewer who hated CoD games I'm probably not going to be happy if I was assigned the next CoD game to review.  That's what it seems happened here to me, a very biased review that from the very first paragraph was meant to do nothing but trash it.

I really don't think that anyone's negative opinion of previous elder scrolls games is going to have much bearing on this one.  I would expect that to have much more bearing on a big fan of the previous games as opposed to someone who didn't like them.   

NDA and all that so I can't really go into details about why. 

SuperNick

Hard Core Member

2/08/14 9:59:39 AM#16
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus.

lol, have to agree with this.

It's as if putting no time into a game and then trashing it has become a trendy way to attract viewers.

What ever happened to actual investigation and real opinions? Nah, they don't matter, negative news sells.

Uhwop

Hard Core Member

2/08/14 10:02:29 AM#17
Originally posted by SuperNick
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus.

lol, have to agree with this.

It's as if putting no time into a game and then trashing it has become a trendy way to attract viewers.

What ever happened to actual investigation and real opinions? Nah, they don't matter, negative news sells.

You just made the claim that someone didn't have a real opinion.

Can you back that up? 

Drakynn

Novice Member

2/08/14 10:12:40 AM#18

Once again we see :

FANBOIS : All negative reviews and previews are false and just done for attention!!!!

HATERS : All positive reviews and previews are false and paid for by the publishers or written not to drive away potential advertising revenue!!!!

EVERYONE ELSE : I'll take the previews and reviews from reviews that generally gel with my likes and dislikes in video games under advisement but will make my own mind up in the end after testing for myself.SO no need to trash either kind of review.

Rusque

Elite Member

2/08/14 10:15:53 AM#19

I noticed in Angry Joe's video preview he made a comment about possibly not getting anymore beta invites because he didn't give a glowing impression of the game. 

I have to wonder if he knows something, seeing as he's part of the gaming press who makes a living off reporting on video games. 

And to be honest, websites are all about traffic, the more they get the more money they make on adverts.  I'm not really so naïve as to think that websites don't structure writing based on what they think will generate them more traffic. 

Well, his channel name is "Angry Joe" - not "Objective and Unbiased Joe" He knows why people watch his show, and that's how he gets clicks. People want to see him trash games . . . loudly.

As for the Rock Paper Shotgun review - it was tremendously one-sided. Some of his complaints were non-sensical (he hated NPC names for one). He doesn't like the dialogue even though it's better written than just about every MMO, but by his own admission he just "clicked through the options" and it shows, he can't remember any of the story lines he played through and uses hyperbole to make them all sound lame.  And that's the bulk of his complaints.

The only other two things was that combat felt rote . . . which I'm not sure what to say other than, level 7. Has he played any MMO's before? Outside of GW2 which says "Here are all the weapon skills you'll have for the rest of the game" by level 3-4, most games don't exactly show their depth at level 7. Just saying.

And his biggest complaint comes at the start, "It's boring." And you know what? As someone who pre-ordered the physical CE, I agree. It starts out very very slowly, you almost wonder why it feels so bland and soft. It's not until you spend just a little more time with it that you start seeing the layers peel back. So it is boring, until it isn't. As a point of interest I'd like to add that MMO's often try to hook you right away. WAR, Aion, AoC, the list goes on. But they front-loaded all their goodies, TESO is much like an Elder Scrolls game in that it keeps on revealing more as you go. Giving you more freedom, more depth, more interest as you progress rather than blowing its load as soon as you walk in the door.

Seilan

Apprentice Member

"Blue, blue."

2/08/14 10:18:07 AM#20
Originally posted by Drakynn

Once again we see :

FANBOIS : All negative reviews and previews are false and just done for attention!!!!

HATERS : All positive reviews and previews are false and paid for by the publishers or written not to drive away potential advertising revenue!!!!

EVERYONE ELSE : I'll take the previews and reviews from reviews that generally gel with my likes and dislikes in video games under advisement but will make my own mind up in the end after testing for myself.SO no need to trash either kind of review.

Pretty much.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search