Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,849,970 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,481
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Character advancement questions

11 posts found
  Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

OP  12/04/13 7:32:09 AM#1

With all the questions answered in this weeks video aboutskills and classes they where replaced by new questions..

a) seems weapon trees and armor trees advance by using them, so you dont have to spend any skillpoints on them.. But how do the skills in these trees advance, do they require skillpoints or using the specific skills.

b) there is a skilltree for PvP, how do you advance in this tree?

c) same for the special trees like vampirisme, lycantrophy and the emperor how do they advance?

d) how  far can you advance skills by using them?  And how long does it take to bring an unused skill at an acceptable level so you can use it effectively?

Seems there is an incredible mount of depth in the system, and its way less flexible the GW2.

i cant wayt for the nda to drop and get answers to these questions

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

azarhal

Elite Member

12/04/13 7:55:32 AM#2
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

With all the questions answered in this weeks video aboutskills and classes they where replaced by new questions..

a) seems weapon trees and armor trees advance by using them, so you dont have to spend any skillpoints on them.. But how do the skills in these trees advance, do they require skillpoints or using the specific skills.

c) same for the special trees like vampirisme, lycantrophy and the emperor how do they advance?

d) how  far can you advance skills by using them?  And how long does it take to bring an unused skill at an acceptable level so you can use it effectively?

Seems there is an incredible mount of depth in the system, and its way less flexible the GW2.

Doesn't need the NDA drop,  most of the info is available at Tamriel Foundry from previous interviews and conventions or even in the video you just watched.

A, B and C) All skill lines work the same way, you buy abilities (active/passive) with skill points (that are gained when leveling up and finding skyshards). Using the active abilities will raise the skill.

D) This is probably something that will change even after the game is released.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

OP  12/04/13 10:22:03 AM#3
Originally posted by azarhal

Doesn't need the NDA drop,  most of the info is available at Tamriel Foundry from previous interviews and conventions or even in the video you just watched.

A, B and C) All skill lines work the same way, you buy abilities (active/passive) with skill points (that are gained when leveling up and finding skyshards). Using the active abilities will raise the skill.

Obviously not...  According to the latest information in the video and this http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/8004/Elder-Scrolls-Online-Diving-Deep-into-the-Progression-of-ESO.html

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

bcbully

Elite Member

12/04/13 10:32:51 AM#4
I'm not a big fan of "finding" skill points.

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

azarhal

Elite Member

12/04/13 12:44:20 PM#5
Originally posted by azarhal

Obviously not...  According to the latest information in the video and this http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/8004/Elder-Scrolls-Online-Diving-Deep-into-the-Progression-of-ESO.html

Obviously not what? It's all in the video about character progression on what that article is based. I'm seriously starting to doubt your comprehension capability?

Use the thing related to the skill line and the skill will raise, use the abilities and they raise up. There are no difference on how the skill line works, only the "use the thing related" varies. For the Mage guild "using the thing related" means gaining reputation with the Mage guild, for a weapon it means using that weapon.

killahh

Novice Member

As famous as the unknown soldier

12/04/13 12:49:54 PM#6
Originally posted by bcbully
I'm not a big fan of "finding" skill points.

More exciting than having it handed to you on a golden platter with a card that say your important and entitled. Just saying.

Gonada Dahung,over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting....Please Lord, let someone make a game that had all the awesomeness of UO, EQ and EVE...

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

12/04/13 2:53:41 PM#7
This is just my guess. As you use items (armor, weapons) you will unlock skills you can train in but they wont be usable till you spend a skill point in X,Y,Z skill. Also buy killing mobs and doing quests you would fill the same bar to ding a new level and skill point. They already went over how you gain skill points but I think its all one pool you pick where you want it to go but you must unlock the right to train in any skill line. The video said you can master all in the end so I wonder if there is not limit on the level process to give an endless amount of skill points. This would be a completionist dream lol. 
  Eol-

Advanced Member

12/04/13 3:44:25 PM#8
I think its a lot like Skyrim, you use skills and get better at your skills, and when your skills have increased a number of times, you go up a level and get a point to spend on various abilities that open up in the skills lines you have used.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
Kili - WoW
Eol - Lineage 2
Camring - SWG
Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

Rusque

Elite Member

12/04/13 3:51:55 PM#9

a) You use that type of weapon/armor

b) You PvP

c) You use skills out of those trees and/or once unlocked you use skill points gained from leveling + skyshards

d) Dunno yet. Dunno yet.

Far more flexible than GW2. It's everything the GW2 system should have been.

keithian

Hard Core Member

12/04/13 4:50:31 PM#10
Originally posted by Rusque

^^^^^^^ this

There Is Always Hope!

Iselin

The Listener

12/04/13 5:54:02 PM#11
Originally posted by keithian
Originally posted by Rusque

^^^^^^^ this

Exactly right. GW2 has the weapon based skills and a few class-specific actives you can unlock and more class-specific passive effects added to the few skills you can specialize in.

This game by contrast has a handful of class-specific actives and passives and everything else is available to all and trained/unlocked through use. And even the part of GW2 that resembles this system-- the weapon skill unlocks for the different weapons-- is all over and done with by level 6 or 7. That won't be the case here.