Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,646 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,317,233
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

16 posts found
  zimboy69

Apprentice Member

OP  12/03/13 5:00:38 PM#1

Ive noticed a lot of people are split between subscription and no subscription

then why not have both

1/ subscription server  you can have  everything   [mod edit]

2/or  a b2p server which has everything   no subscription [mod edit]

but at least  ESO will be getting $60  from everyone who plays.

it would be interesting which server is still going  in 5 years .

User Deleted
12/03/13 5:10:04 PM#2

Sure, but only if the B2P people don't get content updates (they aren't paying for them) or support for any kind of PvP ranking system or whatever.  Just a basic game that's effectively a single-player experience with a multi-player component (grouping for dungeons or whatever).

*edit*

I'm not being facetious or anything.  I've often thought it would be a neat idea for MMO's to release non-MMO versions of their game as B2P.  Take, for example, WoW.  You could by the game, and play through pretty much everything but dungeons and raids, and easily get a few hundred hours of gameplay out of it.  There could even be some kind of paid conversion service, where you can convert a character from B2P to a live server or something. 

ropenice

Apprentice Member

12/03/13 5:11:37 PM#3
So the subber only gets some type of exclusivity away from non-payers for their sub? Not a goo deal. Why would we want to pay for others to play free with same benefits? Also, to have a f2p/cash shop server the gameplay would have to be different, as most f2p I've seen are designed to draw u to CS. ie long grind to get something vs getting it or time saver from CS or cool looking cosmetic armors while the in-game armors look plain. Not very well thought out. All I've seen with both f2p and sub as options, you get nothing held back with sub while f2p has things blocked unless spending in CS.
  JJ82

Hard Core Member

12/03/13 5:12:44 PM#4
Originally posted by zimboy69

1/ subscription server  you can have  everything   will keep the kiddies ,poor people and spammers  out

Odd and hear I recall gold spammers in WoW long before they offered the first 20 levels for free...not to mention being overrun with kiddies.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

angerbeaver

Hard Core Member

Games Played:Ultima OnlineRappelzLOTROWoWGWGW2SWTOR

12/03/13 5:14:33 PM#5
Why are poor people suddenly linked to being annoying like a kid (also a generalization) or spammer?
kryles Xfire Miniprofile
  udon

Hard Core Member

12/03/13 5:18:44 PM#6

I'm sure there will be a free trial at some point for people who really don't want to buy the game at launch.

Also given that you get 30 days for free which seems to be about the average time for 40% or so of the player base anyways one could call this B2P in a manner of speaking.  You can buy it and play for free for 30 days and either walk away for pay for a subscription.

I really don't like what F2P has done to many of the old subscription games.  Developers end up having to juggle providing enough benefits to sub players to make them want to continue to sub while also trying to provide lots of stuff to buy in the cash shop.

User Deleted
12/03/13 5:19:37 PM#7
Originally posted by angerbeaver
Why are poor people suddenly linked to being annoying like a kid (also a generalization) or spammer?

Maybe not "poor people" but I do find people that are too cheap to afford a $15 subscription for a game they like to be kind of annoying and not make for good company.

Iselin

The Listener

12/03/13 7:29:09 PM#8

There are no severs to see here...move along.

The "my server" has been proposed here a couple of hundred times by people who would like one thing or another that the game doesn't have. Problem for you is, they have been going with a single server from the get go.

It is what it is....take the good with the bad...or don't.

jazz.be

Novice Member

12/03/13 7:35:52 PM#9

PVP / PVE / RP-PVE / RP-PVP / (time-)Zone Specific servers / Age specific servers / Subscription type specific servers

It's nice to have options, but meh...where does it end?

I don't care about subscriptions. If a game is good, you'll take it anyway.

onlinenow25

Advanced Member

12/03/13 7:44:10 PM#10

Seems to correlate with the image that poor people = lazy.  (I had co-workers at my old job that worked 80+ hours at two or 3 different jobs yet were still poor due to having kids and trying to raise a family)

And that your poor if you feel like spending $15 a month on a game isn't worth it.

Wighty

Advanced Member

12/03/13 7:55:55 PM#11

Because it is these poor people, kids, or even those people that want to have 6+ accounts of a single game (or more) so they can hex-box content... that can't AFFORD to do so... and in turn demand everything for free/less/etc. F2P. B2P...
This doesn't mean they don't have the skills to play or even be a productive part of the community...

However IMHO that aptitude would be better applied to finding a better career path etc. Unfortunately those on aid/fixed income... this means you too.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

12/04/13 6:59:24 AM#12

Different payment methods require different deveoper assets... F2p does not work ( financialy ) if the game does not try to either lure you intoo subbing, or tries to sell you ingame stuff by constantly pointing it out to you.

and keep in mind that all aaa+ developer games first started out as payed games, and only used the f2p to fet a 2nd start for their game ( its mostly hype)  

After the release of GW2 ncsoft must have realised that it was not the success they wanted financially from an AAA game and their next AAA release will be a subbed game again ( wildstar)

In general i see ftp as a developer choice once subs start falling for their game, all older mmos except WoW ( guess why) went f2 p at some point, and the same will happen to the current mmos...  F2p is the 2nd stage of an AAA mmo.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ArcheAge, and Combat Arms

12/04/13 7:42:00 AM#13
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

In general i see ftp as a developer choice once subs start falling for their game, all older mmos except WoW ( guess why) went f2 p at some point, and the same will happen to the current mmos...  F2p is the 2nd stage of an AAA mmo.

EQ and its countless copies of the level-based, class-restricted fantasy design went F2P. 

Project Entropia, EVE, ATITD, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Second Life, Istaria and the other games that offer something other than the EQ/WOW theme/gameplay still have the same business model they had 10-15 years ago. 

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

Kicksave321

Advanced Member

12/04/13 7:59:03 AM#14
Originally posted by onlinenow25

Seems to correlate with the image that poor people = lazy.  (I had co-workers at my old job that worked 80+ hours at two or 3 different jobs yet were still poor due to having kids and trying to raise a family)

And that your poor if you feel like spending $15 a month on a game isn't worth it.

I'm pretty sure if you working 80+hrs at 3 jobs and have three kids your not on some game website worried if a video game is going to have a $15 sub.  

I dont refer to people people that complain about subs as poor I think it's more of an entitlement mentality.  These people are the issue the grow up being taught they are entitled to everything and now they are running rampant in mmorpgs.  There is a reason most games don't allow f2pers in forums.  

I am am glad it will be a sub game,  I'm not saying all f2pers are this way but games that are f2p or go f2p bring in a different usually not for the better crowd and ruins the community.  

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

12/04/13 8:14:01 AM#15
Originally posted by Loktofeit

EQ and its countless copies of the level-based, class-restricted fantasy design went F2P. 

Project Entropia, EVE, ATITD, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Second Life, Istaria and the other games that offer something other than the EQ/WOW theme/gameplay still have the same business model they had 10-15 years ago. 

Thats because they where so old that even going ftp would not bring back more money, those games choose to try and keep their current playerbase alive....  Old EQ prooved that going ftp does not bring anything for very old games with very old graphics..

but all AAA games with still acceptable graphics like DDO, AoC, EQ2, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT and many more did...  Warhammer online for example didnt, and guess what faith awayts them?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ArcheAge, and Combat Arms

12/04/13 9:22:08 AM#16
Originally posted by Loktofeit

Thats because they where so old that even going ftp would not bring back more money, those games choose to try and keep their current playerbase alive....  Old EQ prooved that going ftp does not bring anything for very old games with very old graphics..

but all AAA games with still acceptable graphics like DDO, AoC, EQ2, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT and many more did...  Warhammer online for example didnt, and guess what faith awayts them?

Now you're just making things up. :)  

First, "all older MMOs" is just a ridiculous claim, so you can throw that silliness out the window.

Second, you have no idea what the return would or wouldn't be if any of them went F2P, but you'll cherry pick examples to support your view. For example, you say EQ went F2P and did poorly (did it?) because of the older graphics, yet Runescape and Puzzle Pirates did rather well with the adoption of F2P. The latter, supporting both payment systems but getting the majority of its revenue from F2P. 

Third, you dismiss that list because they don't have "acceptable graphics" 

Like this low-poly crap...

or this blocky nonsense...

Don't assume that what you want to believe is fact. When you come to a conclusion, question what you based it on. I've got an open mind and plenty of interest for any argument that anyone wants to present, as long as it's got some basis in fact. Stating it as fact doesn't make it fact. 

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth