Trending Games | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Villagers and Heroes | Hearthstone

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,921 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,514
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » PAX hands on impressions

13 posts found
  feena750

Hard Core Member

OP  9/01/13 11:41:19 AM#1

After 2.5 hours in line I got to play 20 minutes of ESO and got a really awesome Pewter PIN of the ESO logo.  I went in a little worried about the graphics and the lack of impact from combat based on videos I saw previously.  Unlike most people who went to do quests I just decided to run into the mountains as far north as I could.

Good:

- Exploration: I was able to just run out and explore.  I found a treasure chest high up in some mountains.  Later I found a small fisherman's camp with a note inside which described a large scary fish to the north.  Finally I found an injured explorer whose party was taken by some spiders and wanted me to save them.  It was nice that I didn't have to quest hub hop.

- Realistic monster spawns: Monster placement makes sense and is not overdone like most MMOs.  In snowy mountains you find some polar bears and wolves,  you find bandit camps, ect.  It feels natural like Skyrim which really helps the immersion.

- Stuff to pick up: Lots of stuff to pick up.  Yes you can pick up all the bottles and random junk you will never need just because your are a pack rat. Perhaps not quite as many items as Skyrim or Fallout but I would say around 40%.  However I didn't go to any big towns so this is based mostly on some camps and such I found in the wilderness.

- Graphics: The graphics were good.  I loved the water and the environmental graphics.  The monsters, buildings, and other objects I found looked good as well.  They felt around 75% of Skyrim level which is better than pretty much all the MMOs out there.

- Movement: Movement felt really good and smooth.  This is really important for me in an MMO.

- Combat: Combat felt good in general.  I liked the freedom of being able to block and swing whenever I want.  It felt a lot like Skyrim melee combat.  Also if you block an attack it can knock the enemy off balance for a second which gives you a good opportunity for a power attack.  I fought a polar bear and it telegraphed attacks in two ways.  The first way was when it got up on its hind legs for a big attack and the second was a red cone in front of it such as in GW2.  I personally like the first telegraph better because it feels more natural.  Combat requires thought, movement, and skill.  If you stand in front of the mob and just swing you will easily die.

Bad:

- Occasional strange collision issues: I found a couple collision issues in the mountains which I assume will be fixed.  I thought they were invisible walls at first, but then I found myself running off the cliff into the air which made it seem like there was mountain still under and around me.  I eventually got around the invisible part of the mountain.  I only had this issue in two spots.

Combat impact feel: I only had my normal sword attack and a summoned pet.  My attacks didn't seem to have much impact, but I didn't have any other abilities so the impact may feel better if I had more types of attacks.  I think they could improve in this area still with the normal weapon swing, but it didn't feel as bad as I thought it would.

In The air:

- Quests: I am pretty sure there was not anything over the person's head when I picked up the quest, but I can't guarantee that since I talked to the person pretty quickly, but I don't recall seeing one.  I only picked up one quest which was the injured explorer spider quest I mentioned above and I ran out of time right after I picked it up so I was not able to do it.

There were little indicators on my main map which showed the location of the three adventures I needed to save.  However there were no arrows pointing to them or anything.

If you have any questions about things other than what I described above please let me know and I will see if I can answer them.

Miklosan

Novice Member

9/01/13 4:43:26 PM#2

In what area of Tamriel did you play in? Mini preview of that place?;)

Did you see any ingame map of the location, zone you were playing in, if so how was the map like?

Gorwe

Elite Member

9/01/13 6:57:47 PM#3
Did you see Altmer?

Do they still look like aliens(Skyrim) or have they been reverted to their normal selves(all other TES games)?
  Sovrath

Elite Member

9/01/13 7:05:04 PM#4
Originally posted by feena750

After 2.5 hours in line I got to play 20 minutes of ESO and got a really awesome Pewter PIN of the ESO logo.  I went in a little worried about the graphics and the lack of impact from combat based on videos I saw previously.  Unlike most people who went to do quests I just decided to run into the mountains as far north as I could.

This was pretty much what I did at PAX East and this was exactly how I approached the game.

All your good and bad comments were exactly how I experienced the game as well.

Which of course worries me a bit as the combat had little impact when I tried it months ago. So it's either the same build and they are on a different build in beta or else they haven't addressed it as of yet.

feena750

Hard Core Member

OP  9/01/13 7:08:26 PM#5

Originally posted by Miklosan

In what area of Tamriel did you play in? Mini preview of that place?;)

Did you see any ingame map of the location, zone you were playing in, if so how was the map like?

I started on an island mainly covered in snow.  When I opened the map all I saw was the island so it may have just been a small part of Tamriel for the demo.  The island had a few small islands and one medium sized island near it and overall was probably 1.5 times the size of the Barrens.  You could swim to the other islands, but I did not figure out a way to swim underwater.  

The map was decent although when I went off into the mountains it was just brown and didn't show any detail.  I am not sure if there is a way to unlock an area and show more detail or not.  Perhaps I was not supposed to be over there which is why it didn't show more detail.  Otherwise the map was quite nice especially after playing FFXIV and dealing with their map recently.

Originally posted by Gorwe
Did you see Altmer?

Do they still look like aliens(Skyrim) or have they been reverted to their normal selves(all other TES games)?

I didn't pay attention much in character creation.  I don't remember seeing anything too alien like while cycling through the races, but I don't remember what the Altmer looked like specifically.  I made an Argonian and they looked quite good.  They had a lot of facial detail.

Gorwe

Elite Member

9/01/13 7:26:34 PM#6
Ok. Thank you!

How about character creation? To which current game is it most similar to? Talking bout MMOs of course!
  Alders

Hard Core Member

I cannot fiddle but I can make a great state of a small city.

9/01/13 7:28:50 PM#7
Originally posted by Gorwe
Ok. Thank you!

How about character creation? To which current game is it most similar to? Talking bout MMOs of course!

Rift.

Gorwe

Elite Member

9/01/13 8:37:48 PM#8
That was my thought as well. The moment I saw the triangle, Rift sensation came. And I'm not quite sure that's good for TESO seeing how most Rift characters looked more or less alike.

Your thoughts feena?
  feena750

Hard Core Member

OP  9/01/13 9:35:13 PM#9

As far as body type customization it is some of the best I have seen in any MMO. 

The triangle allowed for a lot of different body shapes.

• Skinny
  • Muscular
  • Muscular fat
  • fat
  • Normal
  • And anything in between all those since it was a slider and not preset

I didn't mess with the more detailed settings since I only had 20 minutes to play, but the triangle was such a big part of the character creation I had to mess with it a bit.

avalon1000

Novice Member

9/01/13 9:40:31 PM#10
Very few games get combat right. I have played so many (even closed beta) that just did not engage me. Hopefully they will get it right.
  cptndunsel

Advanced Member

9/02/13 1:21:47 AM#11
hope this game delivers. So sick of Gw2 now my eyes are bleeding. And FFXIV is uber boring. Chat bubbles? gag.
  Trudge34

Apprentice Member

9/02/13 2:24:25 AM#12
Have to say, I have renewed interest in this game after a few of the EQN reveals. The latest parkour video has me wondering wtf is going on with it, as well as the graphics style they went with. Have a few friends interested in the game, will have to see if they still are with the P2P model, which only interests me more. Have heard nothing but good really from the people who have had hands on with it, so there's hope for a MMO for me yet!

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
80 Sylvari Ranger

keithian

Hard Core Member

9/03/13 2:29:58 AM#13
Thank you for the impression. Its pretty much in line with what I have read around the internet. I think we will continue to see improvements in a couple of the bads listed over the next coming months. The game still have at least 7 months till release and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed out further.

There Is Always Hope!