Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,775,154 Users Online:0
Games:722  Posts:6,189,795
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Gamescom Awards:More evidence that those playing the game think highly of ESO

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
37 posts found
  NightBandit

Advanced Member

Make friends not money, then wealth will follow.

8/31/13 3:15:16 PM#21
Originally posted by jimprouner
Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs So they gave an Award to a Pre-configured Demo of a Game still in early Beta? Guess we will be seeing those 9.0 Reviews from MMORPG.com real soon then too
I giggled =P 

ok so I DO like ESO.. but best RPG?!?!? how the hell would they know from what little is available! Also I find it hilarious that the pics they show on FB of Gamescon are pretty low in numbers of ppl.. oh wait and then they showed a pic of the ENTRANCE HALL claiming it was all the ppl coming to see their booth... WHAT?!?!?! Zenimax is getting a tad cocky and they need to be careful with WIldstar having such a clever and humorous ad campaign, also actual screenshots of their own booth and how crowded it was.

That being said I actually hope both games do well and both are good enough to survive P2P. All that will come out when they offer open beta or on release.

they need to be careful about wildstar? wildstar wont effect their sales much, wildstar will have a niche following at best compared to ESO.

wildstar needs to have aggressive marketing campaigns, ESO's box sales are virtually guaranteed due to name alone, they could market their game a lot less and still dwarf wildstar's box sales or player numbers.

especially when you consider that ESO will be on the consoles. honestly, no mmo should concern ESO when it comes to box sales.

this is just the reality of the situation and does not speak to the quality of the games, even though i personally wont be playing wildstar myself due to the cartoonish art style i don't like.

how long can ESO hold a large amount of subs? that is he million dollar question.

whatever that number is, it will be more than wildstar, just sayin...

I am not impressed by how many boxes a game sells.

ESO will sell more boxes based solely on IP, but WS is a much better game, and it will be the one that endures.

WS=Wow imo or they trying for that market and they might pull it of thanks to the cartoon look and game play, but I'm with the guy above you who said he's not playing it due to cartoon look, I same damned if I paying to play a game that looks so shit imo I want to play a game that not only looks modern but plays like a the games or game types I like. I never played wow due to that shity look and theme park BS and I don't want the grind fest either. So after trying ESO at the show I will be buying and playing it until SC comes out so I'm cool about paying to play games too as I have 6 Eve active accounts already.

I'm looking forward to the ESO Skyrim type of MMORPG make a nice change to play a decent online game with a community to boot.

Bandit 

nightbandit Xfire Miniprofile
  Ikeda

Hard Core Member

8/31/13 3:17:11 PM#22

This entire thread is irrelevant.  Proof.

Look at all those awards.  What happened to it?  Exactly.

Iselin

The Listener

8/31/13 4:00:40 PM#23
Originally posted by Ikeda

You're right of course but we never really know what an MMO is going to be like until we experience it for ourselves - and that's what "happens to them." SWTOR didn't really show it's true faults until you had played it, seen the linear geography and experienced it's lack of content. 

All the pre-release praise for SWTOR was based on snippets and partial info and the assumptions and speculation based on those. It's hardly different from movie trailers and the full thing.

Some people are so wise about movies and MMOs that they can tell you ahead of time... and some like to just bash them all since that's a pretty safe approach - every single one of them (with only 2 exceptions I can think of - WOW and EVE) will "fail" according to some criteria, be it total initial users, player attrition, time to F2P conversion, or whatever criteria you want to use.

That's simply because there are many more casual MMO tourists that swarm any new game like locust and then move on, than those who stick with any mmo for more than a few months.

So... "MMO X is going to fail, mark my words!"... pretty safe statement to make about any of them.

So which one are you willing to say will not fail? FFXIV? I predict it will, mark my words 

the420kid

Novice Member

8/31/13 4:10:22 PM#24

the fact it won best casual/newb friendly award for me is viewed as a negative for the game.  Its best RPG cause lets face it there isnt much on the horizon that looks great and we all know ESO has the best lore / world out of the upcoming games so no shocker there.  To win best casual / nub friendly for me is super negative as I am not a casual player and I hate super easy games like wow has become.   Personaly I think eso will suck and so will all the other games coming atm which is super sad to say but I feel its gonna be true.

I'm playing darkfall still even with its problems its still the best PvP game on the market atm just hoping AV will get there stuff together add the missing roles and fix major issues and perhaps some balance tweaking but for now nothing is looking to be better than DF currently...

vmoped

Novice Member

9/02/13 9:16:11 AM#25

I wouldn't base a game's value on the opinions of fans who got 15-20 minute play sessions in a limited aspect of the game.  Numerous examples have already been given of prior instances.  I'm not trying to damper your enthusiasm, just suggesting that you temper your expectations and await the opinions of people who have been playing for longer periods who can tell you how the game feels after a week, month, etc... 

Unfortunately with an IP this large we may not get the opportunity, before launch, to get real opinions from long term beta testers that are not discredited (and subsequently buried) by fans due to the NDA.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

JasonJ

Apprentice Member

9/02/13 9:22:47 AM#26

All I have to say is this.

SWTOR won best of awards also...the only thing protecting TESO is the fact that there is a DNA on the beta, something they are going to hold onto as long as possible before release to limit the damage information will do to the game.

Bookah

Apprentice Member

"you are not prepared!"

9/02/13 9:28:28 AM#27
Originally posted by JasonJ

SWTOR won best of awards also...the only thing protecting TESO is the fact that there is a DNA on the beta, something they are going to hold onto as long as possible before release to limit the damage information will do to the game.

Oh my, who got DNA on the BETA?

(Although I'm excited about ESO, these awards are meaningless corprate advertising.)

JasonJ

Apprentice Member

9/02/13 10:17:06 AM#28
Originally posted by Bookah
Originally posted by JasonJ

Oh my, who got DNA on the BETA?

(Although I'm excited about ESO, these awards are meaningless corprate advertising.)

lol...didn't even notice I did that. That's what happens after a 3 day beta test marathon with not enough coffee the morning after.

alkarionlog

Hard Core Member

9/02/13 11:46:12 AM#29

so let me see if I undertand this right!

you are telling me who is playing the game right now, who most likely are people who work for the devs, says the game is good? and youa re telling me tehy get a award for a game who is not out yet and they have a totally imparcial bunch who would never sell a award for any one willing to pay? and it would never be a PR move? also what award SWTOR did get?

now I ask how much they pay you op? or are you doing it for free?

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

Hariken

Elite Member

9/02/13 12:12:17 PM#30
Whenever i see post like this i get mad. It proves that game dev's don't think highly of us gamer's. They get someone to post crap like this on game boards to try to sell us on this game that's in closed super secret beta. I don't like the way they putting stuff out about this game. It all seem's dishonest to me. I do like Elder scrolls game's but everything about ESO seem's like crap to me. I don't trust EA at all and these guys at Zemimax are starting to make me feel the same way. This game is nothing more than about them making wow like money. A true elder scrolls game has freedom. You can't do that with an mmo. So how is this not a grab for money by using the well known ip. If i make a redguard character i can't go to Morrowind because of my faction. Sorry but that is in no way elder scrolls.
  keithian

Hard Core Member

OP  9/03/13 1:13:24 AM#31
Originally posted by Hariken
Whenever i see post like this i get mad. It proves that game dev's don't think highly of us gamer's. They get someone to post crap like this on game boards to try to sell us on this game that's in closed super secret beta. I don't like the way they putting stuff out about this game. It all seem's dishonest to me. I do like Elder scrolls game's but everything about ESO seem's like crap to me. I don't trust EA at all and these guys at Zemimax are starting to make me feel the same way. This game is nothing more than about them making wow like money. A true elder scrolls game has freedom. You can't do that with an mmo. So how is this not a grab for money by using the well known ip. If i make a redguard character i can't go to Morrowind because of my faction. Sorry but that is in no way elder scrolls.

Try not to get mad over a post in a forum. Life is too short and there are more important things to get mad about lol. As an Elder Scrolls Fan, one of the things me and countless others have wanted to do was to play in an Elder Scrolls like universe with friends. There was a mod that came out that attempted this, but that failed. Though you are correct that this MMO cannot allow the level of freedom in the single player series, the general feedback is that it DOES feel very Elder Scrolls like, again, from the people who have sat in front of it, knowing of course there are some sacrifices in the blending between the single players games and allowing it to be online.That doesn't make it a grab for money. It makes it providing an experience to those who want to play with others. I've seen quotes from one person who played it who said it felt like 80% Elder Scrolls, 20% MMO. If it ends up retaining 80% of that feel, most I say will be happy campers.

There Is Always Hope!

keithian

Hard Core Member

OP  9/03/13 1:25:27 AM#32

Rather than respond to each post above, I'll just respond to all of them at once lol.

I agree that an award or tons of awards are not proof that the game will succeed. Nor is it proof that getting the award that others have received like TOR means the game will follow in that game's footsteps. That is simply flawed logic. This game is looking completely different than TOR in most aspects (exploration, side things to do, day night cycles, skill based leveling, not as linear, better graphics, different combat, better crafting, shall I go on?).

Regardless, the purpose of this thread wasn't to compare to TOR or to predict success. It was as stated in the original post that the trend generally has been for those who actually play the game that it DOES feel Elder Scrolls like and is an enjoyable experience. I remember around the same time 8 or so months before TORs release that despite the awards, there was a lot more negative chatter in the leaked Q&As from folks and leaked videos. I am not seeing that same level of negativity in the leaked information I have read. Most of the feedback has been positive, not all, but the majority.

Sooooo, if a well respected European convention has people playing the game and they provide positive feedback in the form of positive impressions or awards, to me that is a good trend...not a prediction of success...but again...a good trend. To me that is only a good thing. I'm pretty sure if it didn't receive the award and one of the other games like EQ Next or Wildstar had received the award, we would have seen people posting what a failure ESO was at Gamescom.

There Is Always Hope!

Scalpless

Hard Core Member

9/03/13 1:32:24 AM#33
Originally posted by azarhal
Originally posted by Anthur

Best Roleplaying Game:
The Elder Scrolls Online WINNER
Ligthning Returns - Final Fantasy XIII
Wildstar

Best RPG, 3 games, two of which are MMOs, none of the big RPGs coming next here in it? Who the hell made these categories?

I guess only the games that were shown at the expo can be awarded and games like Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4, The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, etc. weren't shown.

Cetra

Advanced Member

9/04/13 12:18:39 AM#34

Dont get your hopes too high with the gamescom hype. Having tried the game, i feel tat the game does not jusfity a subscription. It feel like an online multiplayer skyrim.

People looking for a real mmo experience are likely to go elsewhere after the freshness wear off.

superconducting

Hard Core Member

9/04/13 12:42:13 AM#35

(.... Applause.... )

If history has taught us anything, it's that awards don't mean squat.

That being said though, I still have high hopes for ESO.

keithian

Hard Core Member

OP  9/04/13 2:02:42 AM#36
Originally posted by superconducting

(.... Applause.... )

If history has taught us anything, it's that awards don't mean squat.

That being said though, I still have high hopes for ESO.

Please read my response a couple of posts up.

There Is Always Hope!

keithian

Hard Core Member

OP  9/04/13 2:03:39 AM#37
Originally posted by Cetra

Dont get your hopes too high with the gamescom hype. Having tried the game, i feel tat the game does not jusfity a subscription. It feel like an online multiplayer skyrim.

People looking for a real mmo experience are likely to go elsewhere after the freshness wear off.

LOL that is exactly what I want, the ability to play Skyrim with others. You just made me happy lol.

There Is Always Hope!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search