Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,914 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,350
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Who is boycotting because of subscription + cash shop on top of a box purchase?

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search
138 posts found
  Ratero

Novice Member

8/31/13 2:18:38 PM#121
Originally posted by Faelsun

I'm not playing it because its a Gimped version of GW2 which itself is a gimped version of DAOC with what looks like a standard fare of spammy combat buttons for the console. Not to mention its going to be a Bubblegum carebear paradise where everyone is each others friend and the dungeons are easy and no one hurts anyones feelings.

But the sub fee is fine. 

Please don't take this the wrong way but..... SWEET!  One less PvP'er I have to worry about when in Cyrodiil when I'm doing my Carebear foraging and questing.  BTW, all out of Bubblegum... got any to spare?

Ratero.

Iselin

The Listener

8/31/13 2:52:29 PM#122
Originally posted by Rhonen
Originally posted by Faelsun

I'm not playing it because its a Gimped version of GW2 which itself is a gimped version of DAOC with what looks like a standard fare of spammy combat buttons for the console. Not to mention its going to be a Bubblegum carebear paradise where everyone is each others friend and the dungeons are easy and no one hurts anyones feelings.

But the sub fee is fine. 

Please don't take this the wrong way but..... SWEET!  One less PvP'er I have to worry about when in Cyrodiil when I'm doing my Carebear foraging and questing.  BTW, all out of Bubblegum... got any to spare?

Ratero.

I used to like double-bubble but now I'm a fan of Big League Chew... chewing some right now as a matter of fact....cya there 

NightBandit

Hard Core Member

Make friends not money, then wealth will follow.

8/31/13 3:01:25 PM#123
Originally posted by Betakodo

Remember when subscription fees meant everything was in game and there were cash shop money grabs? Remember when the first free to play game came out that was supported not by a subscription, but cash shop items? Cash shop items are supposed to be an alternate to the subscription model, but now they're going for the full money grab? What is this, Korea? It was stupid enough when world of warcraft did it, and people still defended the game and their money grab.

I was interested in the game, but on principle - will not buy it if they're going to do this. I play MMO's so I can work my way up to the cool looking stuffs. But if they're going to take the cool looking items out of the game and make me pay like $7 bucks for a "Fun" item, yeah not going to happen. I was just wondering how many people are giving this game a pass due to this.

Dude you need to do your research and I spoke to the team at gamescom and you so far off the mark it's not funny. Still shut the door on your way out mate and you wont be missed after seeing all the people queuing to play the game for 30 minutes. 2100 people a day every day played that game and they turned away just as many so believe me when I say you wont be missed.

I was not even going to beta test this game as I was not going to bother after hearing everything I had, but man am I glad I went to look for my self changed my mind and I'll be there on day one and I'm glad they making people pay for their work will keep the numpties away imo....Royal wave!!! 

Bandit.

nightbandit Xfire Miniprofile
  olepi

Advanced Member

8/31/13 3:08:26 PM#124

I like a box price + a sub. The sub keeps out quite a few extra casual people, and I think that helps improve the community.

I wouldn't even mind a cash shop for services: name changes, server transfers, etc. Adding fluff items to the cash shop is irritating, because by paying a sub, I expect to get the entire game. But if they start adding real items, like XP potions, special armor and weapons, and stuff that makes it into a pay-to-win game, then I'll probably lose interest.

Latest word seems to be that no cash shop at all is planned., though.

------------
RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

Xessive

Apprentice Member

1/31/14 2:35:55 PM#125

I'll only ever pay for a subscription if it bought me actual game time. As it is, if I pay $15 and due to any number circumstances I was unable to play during that month I just lost $15 for nothing. If I were able to play about 2 hours a week, that's $15 for 8 hours of gameplay. Even if I could play 5 hours a week, that's still $15 for 20 hours of gameplay. If they're going to charge a monthly fee that ludicrous they could at least provide the software for free.

Since the subscription fee is meant to fund game maintenance (quality, servers, content) it should only count the actual game time I use. $15 should effectively provide me with ~720 hours of game time (24 hours x 30 days), though I'd settle for 100 hours if it was actually guaranteed. You pay $15 per month and whether you play or not the clock is counting.

This is why I prefer Guild Wars 2's model. I bought the game and played it at my leisure. I never had to worry about how often I logged in each month or if my subscription is running out. Peace of mind and convenience, which is the point of games and entertainment.

I'm not against subscriptions, I'm just against the way they're implemented: they only benefit one side. I don't play subscription-based MMOs due to this biased subscription model;  which is archaic. It's a relic from a past age that needs to change with the times.

Best part about ESO is that even with the subscription model there seem to be some "paygates" like the Imperial race and some other "goodies" you can only get your hands on if you "pay-to-win."

This is what pushed me away from ESO. There's no way I would consider buying the base game, let alone the "Imperial Edition."  I love the Elder Scrolls series but at this rate I'm just going to resume enjoying Skyrim and its many, many mods.

cheyane

Hard Core Member

1/31/14 2:45:20 PM#126

I am shelling out for the CE but you do not matter OP since you cannot stand up and be counted , you are not playing . I think anyone who does not play is not significant why should they bother with you. There is a line from Monty Python I must go dig up the actual line.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tamanous

Elite Member

1/31/14 2:46:58 PM#127

I guess those boycotting will not be playing any mmo again.

Is there even a major mmo out there that is sub only?

You stay sassy!

CazNeerg

Novice Member

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

1/31/14 2:48:05 PM#128
Impressive, this necromancy is.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Arataki

Novice Member

1/31/14 3:14:08 PM#129

Yeah I....don't care. If I want it, I buy it. If I don't then I don't. If I like the company, I tend to 'want' more things, but it doesn't change much. I tend to play a game for myself, not for how other people are playing their games.

Crazy, I know.

Azaron_Nightblade

Elite Member

1/31/14 3:16:15 PM#130

Have fun with that. I'll remember you during the headstart, right before I start having a blast with the game.

Ciao.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Reymas

Novice Member

1/31/14 3:16:31 PM#131

Boycotting?

No.  In fact, their decision to no longer enforce race-locks on faction is what made me decide to buy it.  I was not going to buy it before they announced this.

Gdemami

Elite Member

1/31/14 3:18:51 PM#132

Originally posted by Betakodo
Remember when subscription fees...

Remember when there were no online games? Go out and boycott video online games industry!

Don't want to shell out asked price? Do not buy or wait for sales/F2P...

dumpcat

Novice Member

1/31/14 3:27:17 PM#133
Been playing MMORPGs for 11 years and almost every AAA sub game I have played has had CE exclusive items.
  Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

1/31/14 3:31:39 PM#134

Necro...

they allready announced there will not be a cashshop for ingame items, ...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Ratero

Novice Member

1/31/14 3:38:42 PM#135

Yech! How many whine threads are there going to be?  Why keep making an endless stream of them?

Simple fact... You like it?  Then buy it.  Otherwise don't buy the title.  In a month all this will be pretty much forgotten and a new batch of whine threads will start for the next title in the pipe-line.

Ratero.

free2play

Advanced Member

1/31/14 3:40:09 PM#136

The game is launching with a cash shop?

Usually I ignore the whole "it will be free to play in a year" but well, it will be free to play in a year. More accurate, feemium.

When the business model is already in place it's kind of a gimme.

eldaris

Advanced Member

1/31/14 3:55:45 PM#137

Originally posted by Ratero
Yech! How many whine threads are there going to be?  Why keep making an endless stream of them?

Simple fact... You like it?  Then buy it.  Otherwise don't buy the title.  In a month all this will be pretty much forgotten and a new batch of whine threads will start for the next title in the pipe-line.

Ratero.

Actually in a month or two after launch it will be a full new batch of whine threads from ex-fanboys, like how it happened for other games launched with lot of hype, starting with warhammer and ending with SWTOR and GW2.

Amana

MMORPG.COM Staff

1/31/14 3:58:11 PM#138
This is an old thread. Please post in the current ones. Locked.

To give feedback on moderation, contact community@mmorpg.com

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search