Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,775,259 Users Online:0
Games:722  Posts:6,189,998
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Good description of character development in ESO (video)

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
33 posts found
  Iselin

The Listener

OP  7/06/13 7:05:56 PM#21
Originally posted by nerovipus32
Teso has been at two major video games expo's and not let any video footage be seen of the game, that is a big red flag for me. We still see the same rehashed video from 6 months ago. They keep telling everyone how the beta version is way ahead of the version the public has seen yet they keep showing the crappy version.  The combat looks jerky and stiff and they delayed the game because in it's current state it's an abomination. And yes i have played it.

As have thousands of us but only 1 or 2 are throwing "abomination" around. You must be a fun guy to be around during the afternoon rush hour. 

Game ain't done yet. When it is and I play the release version, I'll judge. Until then all we have are a few details and the overblown melodrama from some. I think I'll just wait.

But if you'd rather rant, here's a handy list of topics for you:

"Some DAoC developer has-been done stole the IP and is perverting it"

"It's nothing like a TES single player game / there's no PvP in TES"

"It's too much single player TES and not enough MMO"

"They broke the lore, ma!"

"I can't play nice with everyone and then bash their heads in in Cyrodiil? WTF?!"

"It's dumbed down for consoles"

"It's not FFA open world PVP? I'll pass."

"Instancing? really?"

"no raids? WTF?!"

"Just another WOW clone"

"Just another SWTOR clone"

"Just another DAoC clone"

My apologies to anyone whose favorite rant I missed. I meant nothing by it.

Kuanshu

Novice Member

7/06/13 7:12:49 PM#22

Curious how someone plays the game thats being released Spring 2014. Beta testing is one thing and its in late alpha early beta testing phase if anything within a rigid NDA. I can see someones beta invite being declined if they are testing the current build whilst going round breakin the NDA (Mentioned in the aforementioned post within the quote)

Thanks for the rest of the post it was pretty funny...you should keep it somewhere add to it and copy/paste when it comes in handy LOL

jimprouner

Advanced Member

7/06/13 10:03:16 PM#23
Teso has been at two major video games expo's and not let any video footage be seen of the game, that is a big red flag for me. We still see the same rehashed video from 6 months ago. They keep telling everyone how the beta version is way ahead of the version the public has seen yet they keep showing the crappy version.  The combat looks jerky and stiff and they delayed the game because in it's current state it's an abomination. And yes i have played it.

I agree.  I have footage of the game, and its not that grand.  Now the devs come out and tell us its not even a real MMO.  Ahh, what?!?  You said from the beginning it wasn't skyrim online, and now it is skyrim online.  DAFUQ?

Wildstar is 10x the game TESO will ever be. 

Iselin

The Listener

OP  7/06/13 10:31:16 PM#24
Originally posted by jimprouner

I agree.  I have footage of the game, and its not that grand.  Now the devs come out and tell us its not even a real MMO.  Ahh, what?!?  You said from the beginning it wasn't skyrim online, and now it is skyrim online.  DAFUQ?

Wildstar is 10x the game TESO will ever be. 

Wildstar...rofl. Thanks for sharing. At least now we know what quality means to you... WOW in space...got it.

jimprouner

Advanced Member

7/06/13 10:33:06 PM#25
Originally posted by Iselin

Wildstar...rofl. Thanks for sharing. At least now we know what quality means to you... WOW in space...got it.

WoW is only the best MMO in history.  So, I don't take that as an insult. 

If you think ESO is anything more than a box full of gimmicks, then I think that speaks far more about you than WoW/WS does about me.

Kuanshu

Novice Member

7/07/13 12:02:05 AM#26

Wildstar is so cartoony and far out it just doesn't give me any sort of reason to want to play alongside space cadets in some wierd fantasy world involving sci fi and medieval twisted mix that is simply bizarre to me...look at how exaggerated the moves are...its too wild for me...just sayin

WoW isn't the best MMO in history it was simply timed well for its release and no other MMORPG could rock the boat so to speak to steal away the fanbase that was somehow hooked for so many years as WoW kept adding different types of PvE raid content and PvP content strategically rather well and now I hardly recall playing it...odd. Ya its high time we put WoW in the past where it belongs...as I have fonder memories of many other MMORPGs for some odd reason I just can't figure as to why...maybe it wasn't very immersive to me or something. They just kept changing to much too often and everything was ruined after vanilla WoW in my opinion.

Archeage Online looks pretty interesting and we shall see how it turns out....not one of the ones I am following however

Never liked the final fantasy series in any way, from the beginning...not into anime at all

EQN has me very interested as my first MMORPG love was Everquest and they are sure hyping EQN up and its won E3 awards whilst in the biggest black box I have ever witnessed. SOE live is the first week of August and everything will be out of the box and that is when I will decide if its the next MMORPG I will be playing or not. Heres hoping its on Playstation 4

I figure the main reason I am hoping Elder Scrolls Online does well is cuz the Elder Scrolls were the only single player games I could actually play and enjoy since participating in Everquest back in 1999. Seems like alot of misinformation and disinformation is going around with ESO and considering its been pushed back I will most likely check out to see what transpires in the coming months as we all shall see, won't we...

jimprouner

Advanced Member

7/07/13 2:02:21 AM#27
Originally posted by Kuanshu

Wildstar is so cartoony and far out it just doesn't give me any sort of reason to want to play alongside space cadets in some wierd fantasy world involving sci fi and medieval twisted mix that is simply bizarre to me...look at how exaggerated the moves are...its too wild for me...just sayin

WoW isn't the best MMO in history it was simply timed well for its release and no other MMORPG could rock the boat so to speak to steal away the fanbase that was somehow hooked for so many years as WoW kept adding different types of PvE raid content and PvP content strategically rather well and now I hardly recall playing it...odd. Ya its high time we put WoW in the past where it belongs...as I have fonder memories of many other MMORPGs for some odd reason I just can't figure as to why...maybe it wasn't very immersive to me or something. They just kept changing to much too often and everything was ruined after vanilla WoW in my opinion.

Archeage Online looks pretty interesting and we shall see how it turns out....not one of the ones I am following however

Never liked the final fantasy series in any way, from the beginning...not into anime at all

EQN has me very interested as my first MMORPG love was Everquest and they are sure hyping EQN up and its won E3 awards whilst in the biggest black box I have ever witnessed. SOE live is the first week of August and everything will be out of the box and that is when I will decide if its the next MMORPG I will be playing or not. Heres hoping its on Playstation 4

I figure the main reason I am hoping Elder Scrolls Online does well is cuz the Elder Scrolls were the only single player games I could actually play and enjoy since participating in Everquest back in 1999. Seems like alot of misinformation and disinformation is going around with ESO and considering its been pushed back I will most likely check out to see what transpires in the coming months as we all shall see, won't we...

Cartoon graphics just work better in MMOs.  They are tons of huge advantages to this type of art style.  That might turn some people off, but that seems like a very shallow reason to dismiss an MMO. 

OMG not that completely ridiculous argument that wow got lucky.   That argument is so laughably bad its honestly not even worthy of a reply.

Archeage is an asian MMO, and westerners don't play them.  Heck, it didn't even do well in the Asian market.  There are tons of videos from korea you can watch.  The game is bad.

EQN isn't even worth talking about until you know something.  This game isn't coming out till like 2015.  Lol, did you seriously just hope EQN is on playstation 4?!?  You realize how much a game has to be dumbed down to go to console, cough ESO cough....

Well if you like single player games, then ESO won't disappoint.  Even the devs are afraid to call it a real MMO at this point.

Kuanshu

Novice Member

7/07/13 12:51:15 PM#28

Cartoon graphics just work better in MMOs.  They are tons of huge advantages to this type of art style.  That might turn some people off, but that seems like a very shallow reason to dismiss an MMO. 

OMG not that completely ridiculous argument that wow got lucky.   That argument is so laughably bad its honestly not even worthy of a reply.

Archeage is an asian MMO, and westerners don't play them.  Heck, it didn't even do well in the Asian market.  There are tons of videos from korea you can watch.  The game is bad.

EQN isn't even worth talking about until you know something.  This game isn't coming out till like 2015.  Lol, did you seriously just hope EQN is on playstation 4?!?  You realize how much a game has to be dumbed down to go to console, cough ESO cough....

Well if you like single player games, then ESO won't disappoint.  Even the devs are afraid to call it a real MMO at this point.

Ya I am aware of how its easier to impliment and optimize gameplay for very valid overall performance reasons in MMOs as its alot better then trying to bring much more realistic models. EQN is going this route as well as it only makes sense. Wildstar however is one big gigantic bizarre assed cartoon wierdness....I literally cannot bring myself to even consider it...honest

Braugh, I beta tested WoW and my roommate beta tested EQ2 at the same time and it was more the obvious we were playing WoW. I really enjoyed the game for what its worth and everyone was really interesting and exciting and fun until like the 2nd expansion forward...ugh. Sure it was very successful in fact the most successful game in terms of numbers and revenue...yet it wasn't the greatest MMO in hisstory. Can we stop thinking in terms of greatest ever as is all too common and disregards and disrespects all the good MMOs that got us here???

Ya I know about the difficulty of Asian MMOs being popular here in the west. The game may not end up being successful yet we shall see cuz when "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" movie came out we all ate it up and wanted more. Meanwhile China and much of the other countries were dumbfounded as this was very similar to alot of movies that had been brought to the market there for years. Eventually a good asian company will release something that will take the world by storm...mark my words...its going to happen. I know the east well as I was in Japan during most of my formative years and I adore eastern culture and traditions. Its coming...may not be ArcheAge, but its coming...

Don't be too surprised if EQN comes out later this year as they have stated Holiday 2013 for a while now. However, it would be cool if they pushed it back to Spring 2014 like ESO was pushed back...better this then otherwise as not having a finished, polished product wouldn't be good for all time/energy/money it takes to make MMORPGs,  EQN is going to be very different then EQ and EQ2 in many aspects as we have been told this time and again. Alot of hype surrounds this game and all this talk about sandbox MMOs has me really curious. Sony Online Entertainment is releasing EQN and Sony Playstation 4 is being release in November....ya its going to be on the PS4 and if good ol Smedley (SOE CEO) himself smiled when someone asked him this very question.

The Next Generation Consoles namely Xbox One and Playstation 4 are as good as any decent gaming rig out at this time...maybe not high end rigs but a good gaming rig. This says alot and just compare the specs to the previous generation consoles and you will know what I am saying if you recall how good the games were on it...Skyrim seems to run aight on the Xbox 360....also there have been MMORPGs on consoles in the past. The future of MMORPGs will be on consoles...this is where the gaming community is going and ya'll can take that to the bank. If you got an eye for trends you simply observe over time and this is where its all going. MMO Console gaming is the future...

Can you answer one question? If ESO isn't MMO then how is Cryodiil going handle 100s of players on the same screen simultaneously without being an MMO?

Iselin

The Listener

OP  7/07/13 6:47:45 PM#29

Ya I am aware of how its easier to impliment and optimize gameplay for very valid overall performance reasons in MMOs as its alot better then trying to bring much more realistic models. EQN is going this route as well as it only makes sense. Wildstar however is one big gigantic bizarre assed cartoon wierdness....I literally cannot bring myself to even consider it...honest

Braugh, I beta tested WoW and my roommate beta tested EQ2 at the same time and it was more the obvious we were playing WoW. I really enjoyed the game for what its worth and everyone was really interesting and exciting and fun until like the 2nd expansion forward...ugh. Sure it was very successful in fact the most successful game in terms of numbers and revenue...yet it wasn't the greatest MMO in hisstory. Can we stop thinking in terms of greatest ever as is all too common and disregards and disrespects all the good MMOs that got us here???

Ya I know about the difficulty of Asian MMOs being popular here in the west. The game may not end up being successful yet we shall see cuz when "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" movie came out we all ate it up and wanted more. Meanwhile China and much of the other countries were dumbfounded as this was very similar to alot of movies that had been brought to the market there for years. Eventually a good asian company will release something that will take the world by storm...mark my words...its going to happen. I know the east well as I was in Japan during most of my formative years and I adore eastern culture and traditions. Its coming...may not be ArcheAge, but its coming...

Don't be too surprised if EQN comes out later this year as they have stated Holiday 2013 for a while now. However, it would be cool if they pushed it back to Spring 2014 like ESO was pushed back...better this then otherwise as not having a finished, polished product wouldn't be good for all time/energy/money it takes to make MMORPGs,  EQN is going to be very different then EQ and EQ2 in many aspects as we have been told this time and again. Alot of hype surrounds this game and all this talk about sandbox MMOs has me really curious. Sony Online Entertainment is releasing EQN and Sony Playstation 4 is being release in November....ya its going to be on the PS4 and if good ol Smedley (SOE CEO) himself smiled when someone asked him this very question.

The Next Generation Consoles namely Xbox One and Playstation 4 are as good as any decent gaming rig out at this time...maybe not high end rigs but a good gaming rig. This says alot and just compare the specs to the previous generation consoles and you will know what I am saying if you recall how good the games were on it...Skyrim seems to run aight on the Xbox 360....also there have been MMORPGs on consoles in the past. The future of MMORPGs will be on consoles...this is where the gaming community is going and ya'll can take that to the bank. If you got an eye for trends you simply observe over time and this is where its all going. MMO Console gaming is the future...

Can you answer one question? If ESO isn't MMO then how is Cryodiil going handle 100s of players on the same screen simultaneously without being an MMO?

+1

From the point of view of optimization, stick men would be even better 

I played both EQ2 and WOW at release but EQ2 just never grabbed me and I stuck with WOW. It was a lot of fun, especially vanilla WOW. WOW was the perfect storm: based on the wildly popular Warcraft series, released at a time when fast internet was really taking off and with modest HW requirements. Best ever? Not by a long shot and it has gotten over-simplified over the years.

I've recently gone back to Rift and it's so nice to have the deep character development options like pre-cata WOW used to have. Sure it can be daunting for noobs and it's entirely possible to gimp yourself. But oh, so much more rewarding when you figure out the synergies and create a good build.

My son (the computer game programmer who just took a couple of years off to get his masters in CompSci with an emphasis on AI) and I have totally different opinions about Asian MMOs. I chalk that up to the fact that he grew up with Nintendo and I didn't. I am really turned off by the over-the-top totally unreal mobs and damage numbers that hit for 23,000 when a western MMO would hits for 230---it's just scaling I know, but still... It's the exaggeration that's off-putting to me. it's like the difference between horror flicks from the 50's and 60's: we had Frankenstine, the Wolfman and the Night of the Living Dead. In the east they had Godzilla... but he grew up with Link, Zelda and Final Fantasy on consoles so it doesn't bother him.

MMO developers have, for years, been drooling about tapping the console market. It has the potential to, just maybe, if they do it right and all things align properly, to possibly dwarf WOW concurrent player numbers. i think it's actually pretty exciting that AAA MMOs are going there. I would be shocked if EQN isn't also a PS4 game--just ikje ESO will be. There are even hints and rumors that it will play on the PS3 also. I guess we'll know in 3 weeks.

Kuanshu

Novice Member

7/07/13 10:51:19 PM#30
Originally posted by Iselin

+1

From the point of view of optimization, stick men would be even better 

I played both EQ2 and WOW at release but EQ2 just never grabbed me and I stuck with WOW. It was a lot of fun, especially vanilla WOW. WOW was the perfect storm: based on the wildly popular Warcraft series, released at a time when fast internet was really taking off and with modest HW requirements. Best ever? Not by a long shot and it has gotten over-simplified over the years.

I've recently gone back to Rift and it's so nice to have the deep character development options like pre-cata WOW used to have. Sure it can be daunting for noobs and it's entirely possible to gimp yourself. But oh, so much more rewarding when you figure out the synergies and create a good build.

My son (the computer game programmer who just took a couple of years off to get his masters in CompSci with an emphasis on AI) and I have totally different opinions about Asian MMOs. I chalk that up to the fact that he grew up with Nintendo and I didn't. I am really turned off by the over-the-top totally unreal mobs and damage numbers that hit for 23,000 when a western MMO would hits for 230---it's just scaling I know, but still... It's the exaggeration that's off-putting to me. it's like the difference between horror flicks from the 50's and 60's: we had Frankenstine, the Wolfman and the Night of the Living Dead. In the east they had Godzilla... but he grew up with Link, Zelda and Final Fantasy on consoles so it doesn't bother him.

MMO developers have, for years, been drooling about tapping the console market. It has the potential to, just maybe, if they do it right and all things align properly, to possibly dwarf WOW concurrent player numbers. i think it's actually pretty exciting that AAA MMOs are going there. I would be shocked if EQN isn't also a PS4 game--just ikje ESO will be. There are even hints and rumors that it will play on the PS3 also. I guess we'll know in 3 weeks.

I really hope ESO doesn't release for ps3 and they really introduce something worthy of the Elder Scrolls name for people to enjoy within a community, even if it turns out to be more multiplayer feel with MMO aspects for portions of the game; I am good with that if runs without a hitch. Im all for playing it on a PS4 as its simply the no brainer option over Xbox at this point unless they drop the price and do something about xbox live costs as the unit isn't as tech savvy as the PS4.

Ya I cannot bring myself to watch anime nor play anything that even remotely resembles it...sorry to my asian brothers in the land of the rising sun...just can't.  They sure got the hype mechanism figured out however...I mean look at YuGiOh and Pinkachu and Dragonball Z and so on. They know exactly how to market something yet for the western world to really cater to it the secret lies in the fact it has to have alot more immersion, community, and healthy competition that isn't too unrealistic and time consuming, in regards to an MMORPG.

Once development teams start unleashing 64 bit clients that can run and operate to the fullest potential, effectively utilized and implimented, then we are going to really see something. Next Generation Consoles are both 64bit platforms so this is why I see MMOs really coming to the forefront on console in the coming years. Technolgy is really ramping up more and more as time goes on as its like a ship gaining speed, sorta makes ya wonder wasup with that...

I haven't played a MMO since 2009 as I was so disappointed in the MMO market and how certain games like WoW were still running strong after 5 years without much competition. Its good however to take a few years off from play MMOs especially when you can powergame with the best of em. This is another thing that really got to me as well. In order to stay competitive in MMORPGs you had to game alot of hours as it was the nature of older MMOs. Ive been hoping something comes along for a loyal dedicated fanbase where a player is rewarded moreso for being part of a team over time, as a part of a guild in a long lasting community of sorts without having to personally log over 40 hours a week in order to be effective and still be considered a worthwhile member of the guild and gaming community of a particular MMORPG.

When I played WoW at launch I was on a PvP server and I was a member of well known PvP guild (formed in UO) and they required everyone to be logged in every weekend. The competition between guildmates was utterly insane and I was working alot at the time so it really starting causing issues. I went away for a weekend getaway only to be booted from the guild. Shoulda joined Horde side and brought some real contention as at the time they were so vastly inferior on the server it was pathetic. Well I remember this one player who was a female irl and she worked so hard for the rest of the guild gathering alchemy potions for raids and all..bless her heart. I heard they moved to Darkfall and the poor gal ended up dying irl (pushed herself too hard) because of how harsh the grind was in the game as she was not there for herself she was there for her guildmates and had been since they formed in Ultima Online. Its stuff like this that really gets to me and why we need to really consider alot more when developing these games as it affects a great many peoples lives....

Iselin

The Listener

OP  7/07/13 11:25:06 PM#31
I didn't mean that ESO is rumored to be also coming out for the PS3, EQN is. ESO will only be in the nextgen consoles + PC & Mac.
  GroovyFlower

Apprentice Member

Skyrim

7/08/13 4:24:09 AM#32

ESO= MMO for big mass its a themepark nuff said(not realy related to elder scrolls solo series)

EQN= MMO for big mass sandbox but clearly will be made so all can play so will be the WoW of themeparks every pc/console can play it and will have fluff-ezmode-no timesink instant grab.

Don't think both won't change much with this dying genre.

Betaguy

Elite Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

7/08/13 4:29:04 AM#33
Originally posted by SavageHorizon
Pretty boring vid imo and just goes to show how lack the devs are for this game, fans have to rely on themselves to make these vids.

You didn't watch the video then or you wouldn't had said that.  Some awesome info in this vid. Thanks OP for the link.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search