Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,859,959 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,245,237
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Weapons in TESO and RNG'd

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
46 posts found
  JackMack

Apprentice Member

5/09/13 6:41:38 AM#21
     In most titles I would agree with you, but this game is supposed to be (from what I've read) set up to where your weapon type does not define your class. So if every sword dropped by boss X has the same DPS beneficial stats, and every staff dropped has same ranged DPS and every Relic has the same Healer  stats, then you have every DPS, RDPS and Healer running around with the same weapons, which defeats the stated intention of letting characters use what weapons they want. If you want to be a healer who carries a sword, this would let you...of course this is just my interpretation of the potential upside of this system, where in reality the downside may well be as you say grinding boss x 24654654894 times to get the stats you are looking for.
  hMJem

Apprentice Member

5/09/13 7:51:19 AM#22
Originally posted by Manolios
i hate randomized gear. i don't want to grind for a single sword, even more i don't want to grind about the same sword with 24654654894 random stats. i just hate it

Usually in ARPG's that do the complete RNG, the weapon is RNG'd too. As in, there wont be a specific zone to farm it in, you'll just have to hope the weapon comes and then comes with the good stats. Developers think its a good tool so that "You dont get bored of a zone, we want you to just play through everywhere and hope for it" Not realizing we dont mind grinding for it, and if we get bored of a zone we'll grind somewhere else. History repeats itself in games that way..

What it becomes is, you just farm the most effecient spots. It's been done in games for all of eternity, and MMOs in Raids. Grind what becomes the most effecient spot to do so at the most value. Min/Maxing your time

azarhal

Elite Member

5/09/13 1:40:36 PM#23

I hope they keep that itemization system. I like it, give more of an exploration feel to killing thing, as opposed to know exactly that Bandit #3 might drop the exact same copy of Sword of Agony as Bandit #2 did.

Punk999

Novice Member

5/09/13 4:22:57 PM#24
Originally posted by azarhal

I hope they keep that itemization system. I like it, give more of an exploration feel to killing thing, as opposed to know exactly that Bandit #3 might drop the exact same copy of Sword of Agony as Bandit #2 did.

^this

I like this system as well.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
^MMORPG.com

Caliburn101

Novice Member

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

5/10/13 3:54:38 AM#25

With a sensible level of randomisation and a decent player to player trading system this will be fine.

You will have the choice to grind for your best fit set (but not for too long), or to grind for the money to buy it from the auction house (or whatever).

If they overcook it though (at either end), it will not be good for the game...

baphamet

Hard Core Member

5/10/13 10:07:33 AM#26

Originally posted by Deivos
So you need to farm for a specific version of specific loot drops for multiple sets of gear.

Swanky.

I know I'm generally just doomsaying, but it's just a concern that each of these elements is contributing more to players OCD behaviors than it is anything else.

If we just kept gear that was functionally the same, the same, we could instead dump all this variety into a secondary element like the other TES games do by enhancing and enchanting the gear we value most.

how you can see this as a bad thing really amazes me lol

i mean sure, if you assume that there will be no enchanting or further customization to the weapons and armor because they are random, i could see your point.

but why exactly do you assume that there wont be that kind of customization? especially considering the fact that they have confirmed skills such as enchanting will be in the game and that multiple different professions can enhance weapons and armor.

enchanters can enchant weapon and armor and weapon smiths can make weapons better in TESO.

http://youtu.be/Ed2VZXMJo8Y

Seilan

Apprentice Member

"Blue, blue."

5/12/13 8:00:11 AM#27

Sign me up as another immensely in favor of this system. I've often wondered why only a very small number of mmos ever opted to use a RNG system for loot generation (heck, I can only think of two and they're both Asheron's Call games...). It adds an extra element of excitement when out hunting, as there's always a chance of finding something unique and powerful.

I was on the fence about this game before, but if they stay the course with this loot system, I'll definitely be getting it.

Dogblaster

Advanced Member

5/12/13 8:05:28 AM#28
Originally posted by tazarconan
Thats very good news.

agreed.

hMJem

Apprentice Member

5/12/13 4:35:52 PM#29

I took this from the Elder Scrolls Online Redditt. Someone posted a thread about this, and someone whose played the game a lot replied breaking his NDA

"This is a 100% fabrication. An iron axe will always be an iron axe with the same dps values. I played extensively at PAX East and have participated in the last two beta events.

I will tell you from the 4ish hours I played at PAX, all of the items with the same name shared the same DPS numbers. This also extends to beta tests thus far.

The only random factor is the enchant that can be rolled on a weapon; ie frost damage or fire damage. This means you can find an iron axe of fire that does three extra fire damage or an iron axe of frost that does 3 extra frost damage.

I ran the first instanced dungeon enough times to get every loot drop multiple times, and the stats were the same on every single one.

I will reiterate, random stat rolling has not effected base stats on an item and currently the only thing that is rolled on an item is the enchant if it has one!"

baphamet

Hard Core Member

5/12/13 7:47:24 PM#30

Originally posted by hMJem
I took this from the Elder Scrolls Online Redditt. Someone posted a thread about this, and someone whose played the game a lot replied breaking his NDA

"This is a 100% fabrication. An iron axe will always be an iron axe with the same dps values. I played extensively at PAX East and have participated in the last two beta events. I will tell you from the 4ish hours I played at PAX, all of the items with the same name shared the same DPS numbers. This also extends to beta tests thus far. The only random factor is the enchant that can be rolled on a weapon; ie frost damage or fire damage. This means you can find an iron axe of fire that does three extra fire damage or an iron axe of frost that does 3 extra frost damage. I ran the first instanced dungeon enough times to get every loot drop multiple times, and the stats were the same on every single one. I will reiterate, random stat rolling has not effected base stats on an item and currently the only thing that is rolled on an item is the enchant if it has one!"  

so somebody is lying is what you are saying? and why do you take the "NDA breaker's" word over the writer of the article's? just curious because i would like to have accurate info and a lot of false garbage gets spread here about this game.

hMJem

Apprentice Member

5/13/13 2:01:28 AM#31

You're taking an article of speculation over someones word whose played the game enough to see every item drop multiple times in the same instance and not see a difference in DPS/armor values but only enchantments?

This isnt Zenimax's word. This is a random article

nilden

Advanced Member

5/13/13 2:20:49 AM#32

The item system needs to be more than RNG* Diablo 3 or Epic Purples. It needs to take Elder Scrolls artifact items and crafting into consideration. I wonder what the final in game economy will be like. If it ends up being another auction house mudflation that's not very inspiring.

*Random Number Generator

How to post links. Check it Archeage
LoveMinecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

baphamet

Hard Core Member

5/13/13 9:40:57 AM#33

You're taking an article of speculation over someones word whose played the game enough to see every item drop multiple times in the same instance and not see a difference in DPS/armor values but only enchantments?

i am not taking anyone's word for it, but obviously you are.

according to you this "NDA breaker" played it at pax and in beta and says the guy in the article who claimed he played it at pax as well is lying.

During my game play at PAX East, I got to experience this feature for myself. During my session I had the same weapon drop for me three times and each time the weapon had a different DPS stat on it. My first weapon had 12.5 DPS, the second had 11.8 DPS and the final one had 12.8 DPS. As you can see the range is not very large but enough to keep my eyes on the loot as I got it. A lot of times in other MMOs I have played, I tend to ignore loot that I pick up unless it is a quest reward or a chest. Normally items from random creatures tend to be what we call “vendor trash.” I’m glad Elder Scrolls Online went with this type of gear system. It kept me engaged and looking at every piece of gear I acquired. It was like Christmas every time the loot window popped up. I am glad that an MMORPG has finally adopted this type of system.

that doesn't seem to be speculation to me so i am not sure where you are getting that assumption from.

i would honestly like to know who is lying because somebody definitely is.

i just would like to know why you chose to take this random persons word for it over the person in the article, is there a reason? i am starting to have my doubts.

i mean, at least with an article like that one would assume that if someone was spreading misinformation zenimax would likely have them take it down.

but maybe not, i just would like to know either way.

tombis

Advanced Member

5/13/13 11:13:10 AM#34

A loot system like old school RO, where the special stat (like %move speed % atak speed) is dropped by the npc ur killing (with a extremely low % rate like 0.01%) in form of an item that take 1 slot in a base gear with X amount of slots is a system that i would like to see again.  This way u can have 1000 different npcs and 1000 different effects spread across the entire world and each of those npcs will have a specific type of special stat item.

Im not saying that TESO should have this, i prefer that rather than just RNG on the drops.

And i know every system has a bad look when you look it from certain angle. So i guess it depends form which angle you look at games, that you´ll like this idea or not.

Hope this game is as gd as the hype :)

Iselin

The Listener

5/13/13 11:23:02 AM#35

Comparing two AAA MMOs that are at similar stage in their development, ESO and Wildstar, the contrast between the two companies' policies about release of official information and in-game footage is remarkable.

ESO's closed-mouth approach and occasional reveals is very annoying, leads to silly debates and causes ESO to fade in and out of gamers' consciousness.

Wildstar, otoh, has a policy of constant reveals of entertaining and humorous videos that keeps the interest constant...like this one released last Thursday: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/devspeak.php

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

5/13/13 12:33:59 PM#36
Originally posted by Iselin

Comparing two AAA MMOs that are at similar stage in their development, ESO and Wildstar, the contrast between the two companies' policies about release of official information and in-game footage is remarkable.

ESO's closed-mouth approach and occasional reveals is very annoying, leads to silly debates and causes ESO to fade in and out of gamers' consciousness.

Wildstar, otoh, has a policy of constant reveals of entertaining and humorous videos that keeps the interest constant...like this one released last Thursday: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/devspeak.php

ESO and Wildstar are on tops of my keep update on games this year. EQN will be on that list as of Aug when we gets some real info. But as for Wildstar, they have a way of saying a lot without saying anything. Like their latest video, "WE HAVE MOVEMENT! WASD is in the game and JUMP!!!" lol... Ooooo Ahhhhhh lol. Maybe ESO needs to release a video letting us know they have WASD as well =) I get there was a little bit more in Wildstar video, but not much more. Does help with that silly hype but IMO ESO and EQN have it right. If I made a game it would be in a blackbox till it was 90% done. I would only let people know there is a game and thats about it. Fans get to rabid when they get into.

baphamet

Hard Core Member

5/13/13 2:35:25 PM#37

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Originally posted by Iselin Comparing two AAA MMOs that are at similar stage in their development, ESO and Wildstar, the contrast between the two companies' policies about release of official information and in-game footage is remarkable. ESO's closed-mouth approach and occasional reveals is very annoying, leads to silly debates and causes ESO to fade in and out of gamers' consciousness. Wildstar, otoh, has a policy of constant reveals of entertaining and humorous videos that keeps the interest constant...like this one released last Thursday: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/devspeak.php  
ESO and Wildstar are on tops of my keep update on games this year. EQN will be on that list as of Aug when we gets some real info. But as for Wildstar, they have a way of saying a lot without saying anything. Like their latest video, "WE HAVE MOVEMENT! WASD is in the game and JUMP!!!" lol... Ooooo Ahhhhhh lol. Maybe ESO needs to release a video letting us know they have WASD as well =) I get there was a little bit more in Wildstar video, but not much more. Does help with that silly hype but IMO ESO and EQN have it right. If I made a game it would be in a blackbox till it was 90% done. I would only let people know there is a game and thats about it. Fans get to rabid when they get into.

right, because EQnext and TESO already have an established IP and fan following.

when they release info it gets dissected and ripped apart, they also will have no problem marketing their product when the time is right.

wildstar does not have that luxury. they need to get the word out about their game, releasing more information early only helps them in the long run.

releasing too much info early doesn't really help games like TESO, especially when they know that negativity will inevitably be spread about that info no matter what it is.

although, i do understand the frustration as it is frustrating to me as well.

a lot of mmo devs have taken the hush hush approach far into development as of late.

they are all following blizzards lead who seemed to have started that trend.

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

5/13/13 2:39:59 PM#38
Originally posted by Punk999
Originally posted by azarhal

^this

I like this system as well.

Same loved it in SWG pre-cu, looking for those rare high dot weapons always kept me busy.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Seilan

Apprentice Member

"Blue, blue."

5/14/13 5:13:03 AM#39
Originally posted by baphamet

i am not taking anyone's word for it, but obviously you are.

according to you this "NDA breaker" played it at pax and in beta and says the guy in the article who claimed he played it at pax as well is lying.

During my game play at PAX East, I got to experience this feature for myself. During my session I had the same weapon drop for me three times and each time the weapon had a different DPS stat on it. My first weapon had 12.5 DPS, the second had 11.8 DPS and the final one had 12.8 DPS. As you can see the range is not very large but enough to keep my eyes on the loot as I got it. A lot of times in other MMOs I have played, I tend to ignore loot that I pick up unless it is a quest reward or a chest. Normally items from random creatures tend to be what we call “vendor trash.” I’m glad Elder Scrolls Online went with this type of gear system. It kept me engaged and looking at every piece of gear I acquired. It was like Christmas every time the loot window popped up. I am glad that an MMORPG has finally adopted this type of system.

that doesn't seem to be speculation to me so i am not sure where you are getting that assumption from.

i would honestly like to know who is lying because somebody definitely is.

i just would like to know why you chose to take this random persons word for it over the person in the article, is there a reason? i am starting to have my doubts.

i mean, at least with an article like that one would assume that if someone was spreading misinformation zenimax would likely have them take it down.

but maybe not, i just would like to know either way.

Yeah, I thought that was funny too. I read it like, "You'd rather take some random guy on the internet's word for it, over some other random guy on the internet that I didn't even bother to give a name of or even a link to the statement he allegedly made to the contrary?"

At this point, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the loot system ended up being generic like so many others, but we can still hope the guy who wrote that article was possibly correct in his assumption. I'd really love a RNG loot system.

azarhal

Elite Member

5/14/13 6:48:43 AM#40
Originally posted by Seilan

At this point, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the loot system ended up being generic like so many others, but we can still hope the guy who wrote that article was possibly correct in his assumption. I'd really love a RNG loot system.

Well, it can't be like in other MMOs without them destroying the loot system that shows up in the single player games. If they got inspired by the single player TES games, we can expect very few enchantments per items and not that many stats to deal with...

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search