Trending Games | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online | Neverwinter

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,639,396 Users Online:0
Games:678  Posts:6,074,002
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Is All PVP Still Restricted To Cyrodiil? If It Is Im Not Buying This Game

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search
165 posts found
  azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

5/08/13 6:14:28 PM#121
Originally posted by Shadanwolf
I'm glade you found out early....you're not going to play the game.

Yup, wish more people would actually read a game's F.A.Q. and core features, would save a lot of heart ache in the long run.  Its like buying Darkfall and bitching because of FFA Full Loot PvP and complaining about it ad-naseum on the forums.  Then again I do not put much stock in the average gamer, especially MMO gamer since the majority of them refuse to do a modicum of research of a game.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

richarddoyle

Advanced Member

5/15/13 6:05:00 PM#122

The fact of the matter is that having specific PvP zones gives everyone a chance to do what they want.

People who like to do PvE content can play without getting ganked.

People who like PvP can go do PvP with other people who actually want to do PvP rather than ganking people who don't feel like doing it.

By making the game completely open-world PvP you take away the PvE player's ability to choose not to participate and therefore drive them away.

Making PvP separate is the only way to set up the game that's fair to both groups.  Deal with it.

Personally I remember playing back in the day on the Kul Tiras PvP server in WoW, and the only PvP experiences I had were getting ganked while mining or doing quests.  It wasn't PvP, it was just people being asshats and killing lowbies who would subsequently give up and go log until the person was gone.  When I want PvP I want a fight, not a slaughter as one person who's fighting three mobs gets dotted up by a Lock.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/15/13 7:25:02 PM#123
Nan

Well said, people forget, not only is daoc in the best 3 mmos for pvp of all time (with eve and planetside)

It's also a bloody good pve game, only EQ, ac, swg, coh & wow beat it that regard.
  Tyvolus4

Novice Member

5/15/13 7:29:13 PM#124
Originally posted by Saxonblade
Originally posted by superconducting

Open world PVP sounds good on paper but in practice is a bad idea. There are a whole host of problems associated with it:

- PVP would be way too scattered and less focused. Small groups or individual players would be haphazardly fighting rather than having larger-scale battles between armies.

- People would not easily know where to go to join up with their groups.

- PVE content (which is most of the game) would not be safe to do. You could never feel safe questing.

- It would be a lore-breaker (at least initially before 50+) if factions are not restricted to the races the comprise them.

I remember when runescape decided to open up the whole world to PVP, instead of just limiting it to the wilderness. The amount of backlash they received was mind-numbing. PvP was ruined so much that they eventually they restored the wilderness to the way it was before.

Tell the people at blizz that, it was in fact the removal of meaningful OW PVP that cost blizz many subs. OW PvP in Vanilla WoW was some of the best OW PvP in any game.

yep, you nailed it.  I didn't last a year in wow, and that is pretty much the main reason why.

SavageHorizon

Hard Core Member

5/15/13 7:32:19 PM#125
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Nan

Well said, people forget, not only is daoc in the best 3 mmos for pvp of all time (with eve and planetside)

It's also a bloody good pve game, only EQ, ac, swg, coh & wow beat it that regard.

EQ2 and Vanguard beat DAOC for PVE, thought I would help you with that.

Coolermaster Cosmos II Case
Corsair AX1200W Modular PSU
Intel Core i7 3970X OC 4.50GHz
Asus P9X79 PRO Intel X7
16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-1866MHz
840 Series 250GB SSDs
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs
EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5 SLi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs

Sovrath

Elite Member

5/15/13 7:33:22 PM#126
Originally posted by Neherun
Originally posted by Total_Hunt

Anyone considered that the average TES player won't enjoy being ganked and teabagged all the time by you 'l33t' MMO PvPers while they're trying to explore.

This isn't Darkfall

And did you consider that the average TES player may not be neither a carebear who questions the basic legitemacy of PvP and does not enjoy challenges such as being ambushed by another player at a dire situtation?

This isn't Hello Kitty Online.

And neither is it a hardcore pvp game with heavy loss of xp or items.

so let's not pretend we are all "bad ass" with cute little quips in a RvR game that is aimed at getting as many players as possible.

SavageHorizon

Hard Core Member

5/15/13 7:38:05 PM#127
Originally posted by Sovrath
Originally posted by Neherun
Originally posted by Total_Hunt

Anyone considered that the average TES player won't enjoy being ganked and teabagged all the time by you 'l33t' MMO PvPers while they're trying to explore.

This isn't Darkfall

And did you consider that the average TES player may not be neither a carebear who questions the basic legitemacy of PvP and does not enjoy challenges such as being ambushed by another player at a dire situtation?

This isn't Hello Kitty Online.

And neither is it a hardcore pvp game with heavy loss of xp or items.

so let's not pretend we are all "bad ass" with cute little quips in a RvR game that is aimed at getting as many players as possible.

Yeah lol, if you go to there forums that's what you will find. They seem to think it's the hardest PvP out there. ESO is light and fluffy PvP.

Coolermaster Cosmos II Case
Corsair AX1200W Modular PSU
Intel Core i7 3970X OC 4.50GHz
Asus P9X79 PRO Intel X7
16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-1866MHz
840 Series 250GB SSDs
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs
EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5 SLi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs

Aparthesis

Apprentice Member

5/15/13 7:59:51 PM#128

Wow, I'm honestly not even sure where to begin after only reading the first few pages. It seems like greed is talking more then sense for the most of it. Open world PvP is about as annoying as most of the self center egotistical people that make un-constructive comments. I played on a pvp server in WOW for the first few years I played it and the "FUN" that has been posted about was being ganked by a group of players or much higher lvl chars while you where alone.

It almost sounds like that main reason people would want open world PvP is so that they don't have to challenge themselves as much. It is harder  to go into a battleground type area and fight people expecting to fight other players then trying to kill a monster to only find out someone was waiting for the monster to get you below half health so they could kill you with ease; then prance around like they did some extraordinary feat that only their mad skill could have accomplished.

As for sacking towns or anything of the like. It would be better served if it was a special event and not something that you just did on a whim. This is not even to mention that if you lose a town what happens to all the quests you would receive in it or the stores you would need etc..By saying this would be a good idea means that your willing to put a lot of gamers out of something to play just so in your selfish desires you can sack a town? Does anyone remember in WOW returning from a hard quest just to find out that your quest giver was dead, someone killed the griffin master and all you could do was die and die and die and die until the people decided to leave the town. WHAT FUN THAT WAS!

Making a world that allows that means that the largest faction will always be the dominant and will punish everyone that chooses another faction. You ruin so many people's games by doing that just for the simple fact that they wanted a different faction other then what is popular. How does any of that sound appeasing?

tazarconan

Apprentice Member

5/15/13 8:06:12 PM#129

Open world PVP sounds good on paper but in practice is a bad idea. There are a whole host of problems associated with it:

- PVP would be way too scattered and less focused. Small groups or individual players would be haphazardly fighting rather than having larger-scale battles between armies.

- PVE content (which is most of the game) would not be safe to do. You could never feel safe questing.

- It would be a lore-breaker (at least initially before 50+) if factions are not restricted to the races the comprise them.

I remember when runescape decided to open up the whole world to PVP, instead of just limiting it to the wilderness. The amount of backlash they received was mind-numbing. PvP was ruined so much that they eventually they restored the wilderness to the way it was before.

I dont know about Runescape but number 1 mmorpg in the world (wow) doesnt restirct you if u want to take some friends from the guild and pay a.... visit  to enemy cities. Meaningless? Maybe but i ensure you it was the salt of the game for lots of players.Not to emntion the fun watching 200 enemy trying to kill 20 guys in front of undercity and those 20 are still there...heh fun times. But the point is there is absolutely no reason to restrict pvp in specific places. As the op said if you want pure pve ther eis skyrim oblivion etc etc. Where the human paragon is in presence (mmo) the interactivity beetween the players should be in encouraged in all its forms coop or pvp.That way u make a fluid realistic and rp game.

tazarconan

Apprentice Member

5/15/13 8:22:42 PM#130
Originally posted by Aparthesis

Wow, I'm honestly not even sure where to begin after only reading the first few pages. It seems like greed is talking more then sense for the most of it. Open world PvP is about as annoying as most of the self center egotistical people that make un-constructive comments. I played on a pvp server in WOW for the first few years I played it and the "FUN" that has been posted about was being ganked by a group of players or much higher lvl chars while you where alone.

To you maybe open world pvp is annoying but to many other ppl its fun. For me it adds exitement and thrill even when i am th eone that is hunted down.Dont forget that these actions characterise the players in that server. In the server i was playing in wow there were many kos players (kill on sight inside the forums and the guild chats..heh and trust me many gangers payed for their...crimes many times over during their game time with the same coin.

It almost sounds like that main reason people would want open world PvP is so that they don't have to challenge themselves as much. It is harder  to go into a battleground type area and fight people expecting to fight other players then trying to kill a monster to only find out someone was waiting for the monster to get you below half health so they could kill you with ease; then prance around like they did some extraordinary feat that only their mad skill could have accomplished.

When u refer to many vs one it is not an issue cause the gangers simply get a bad name in their server even beetween their allies. When it comes to 1vs 1 or 1 vs 2 in the wilds though thats another story.Thats lots of fun.Battlegrounds areans etc its a diferent type of pvp and i like it.That doesnt mean though world random pvp shouldnt be there...

As for sacking towns or anything of the like. It would be better served if it was a special event and not something that you just did on a whim. This is not even to mention that if you lose a town what happens to all the quests you would receive in it or the stores you would need etc..By saying this would be a good idea means that your willing to put a lot of gamers out of something to play just so in your selfish desires you can sack a town? Does anyone remember in WOW returning from a hard quest just to find out that your quest giver was dead, someone killed the griffin master and all you could do was die and die and die and die until the people decided to leave the town. WHAT FUN THAT WAS!

It s not fun the guy that did the quest but it was fun for the guys that did the raid..Non organised events are realistic and less generic and add to the depth of realism of the game world

Making a world that allows that means that the largest faction will always be the dominant and will punish everyone that chooses another faction. You ruin so many people's games by doing that just for the simple fact that they wanted a different faction other then what is popular. How does any of that sound appeasing?

In ESO there are 3 factions its not r v r its r v r v r... and apart that if a faction has more players it doesnt mean neceserilly that are pvp fans

olepi

Apprentice Member

5/15/13 8:35:24 PM#131

Far more people would like the choice of when to PvP, rather than be forced into PvP against their will. ESO would lose many more players if it went full-world PvP. So I don't think there is any chance it will go that way.

Taking an area the size of Skyrim, and making THAT full PvP is the best idea. One of the best things about DAOC, widely called one of the best PvP games, was that you could choose what you wanted to do, because it was divided.

------------
RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

Aparthesis

Apprentice Member

5/15/13 8:59:57 PM#132

Well you did prove my point. Making an mmo to just cater to one class of gamer and more so to the class that is far less considerate is not only a bad idea but a bad business decision. People don't seem to realize that others effect people by their game play. One might have had fun sacking a town and killing the person from the quest but the thought would never cross their mind that they are doing something that is not only hurting other gamers but hurting the reputation of the the gamer and the game itself. A note about WoW is that the actual PVP turned out to rank second when it came to actual role play and an adventure. Not many ever did any kind of role playing and don't know how big of an impact it made of the game.

One major fact of this whole argument is how much do you want to ruin what Elder Scrolls has always been about? I want an extension of the game I love. Not some heavily tweaked game that doesn't even base itself off what made it popular in the first place. Turning Elder Scrolls into a huge mess of PvP will most likely do nothing but ruin the pride and joy that has been gained by their previous game. Its up to the Devs not to betray the gamers as much as it is for the gamers to give constructive critism and not pure stupidy.

Anyone can make a game with PvP and call it good. Its about mixing PvE and PvP together in the right amount that makes a great game. People also have to consider that the Devs aren't going to create a game just for PvP people and ruin what is the foundation of their previous games and betray the millions of gamers that have fallen in love with the lore and PvE.

In the end, if someone enjoys being the dick that just goes around killing people with no other reason other then to teabag someone and make yourself feel superior then this game is most likely not going to be for you. For once I wish someone would think about this as a business sense.

One should remember that Most of the people that are wronged by open world PvP rarely get retribution or realize that there is no real point in getting it in the first place. Your not going to get ganked by some high level write their name down and while whispering to that voice in their head that they will get them when they get higher. If that is what your gameplay is based off of, I really can only feel sadness for the person and hope they open there mind to the true joy of games.

bcbully

Elite Member

5/15/13 9:48:37 PM#133
1 game world.
  Incomparable

Hard Core Member

5/15/13 10:07:54 PM#134

It depends on several factors on how to have open world pvp.

1) class abilities. Can a class or all classes escape ganks.  All have invis or a blink jump for others etc.

2) res points. Have a lot of them, and scattered.

3) design pve to be playable in a open world environment. Including open world pvp while questing as a reward and exp gain.

4) have npc alignment. So ealy stages our faction protects us in the capital, but our questng builds alliances in various places allowing people to quest with protection of npcs in that area.

5) design game so open world pvp is fun, and pve content is also fun and challenging. This allows people to do content for the joy of it rather than just trying to farm exp to get to end game. So npc alignment, early game pvp, faction/class story etc 

6) ofc a large end game which draws people to certain end game activities. Then it becomes focused. They can still have more than one end game zone, and time it with npc activities or random events like a volcano erupts  and leaves a lot of resources for other end game possibilities and rewards like housing etc.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Jemcrystal

Hard Core Member

Let em put a slave ring thru u're nose u're prob not going to like where they're taking you. Think.

5/16/13 1:09:04 PM#135
I'm pro pvp and pve on separate servers ONLY if my rogue / archer / mage stats do not get nerfed on my pve server.  You know pvp'ers do NOTHING but WHINE and THREAT to quit and spend money elsewhere if all classes except the one they picked don't get nerfed so they can win every battle.  You let PvP'ers get their way and there will be nothing left but piles of jello for player characters before anyone got a chance to fire off one shot.

Playing FFXIV-ARR NA:Faerie. Guild Mytical Mourning - Rhett.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/16/13 1:57:02 PM#136
Originally posted by Jemcrystal
I'm pro pvp and pve on separate servers ONLY if my rogue / archer / mage stats do not get nerfed on my pve server.  You know pvp'ers do NOTHING but WHINE and THREAT to quit and spend money elsewhere if all classes except the one they picked don't get nerfed so they can win every battle.  You let PvP'ers get their way and there will be nothing left but piles of jello for player characters before anyone got a chance to fire off one shot.

in wow

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/16/13 1:58:57 PM#137
Originally posted by tazarconan
Originally posted by Aparthesis

To you maybe open world pvp is annoying but to many other ppl its fun. For me it adds exitement and thrill even when i am th eone that is hunted down.Dont forget that these actions characterise the players in that server. In the server i was playing in wow there were many kos players (kill on sight inside the forums and the guild chats..heh and trust me many gangers payed for their...crimes many times over during their game time with the same coin.

When u refer to many vs one it is not an issue cause the gangers simply get a bad name in their server even beetween their allies. When it comes to 1vs 1 or 1 vs 2 in the wilds though thats another story.Thats lots of fun.Battlegrounds areans etc its a diferent type of pvp and i like it.That doesnt mean though world random pvp shouldnt be there...

It s not fun the guy that did the quest but it was fun for the guys that did the raid..Non organised events are realistic and less generic and add to the depth of realism of the game world

In ESO there are 3 factions its not r v r its r v r v r... and apart that if a faction has more players it doesnt mean neceserilly that are pvp fans

no its always been called rvr

jimdandy26

Apprentice Member

5/16/13 1:59:34 PM#138

in wow

You are getting almost as bad as Davis. You see that very whining in any competitive game forum. Did you miss the piles of it in Ps2?

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/16/13 2:15:37 PM#139
Originally posted by jimdandy26

in wow

You are getting almost as bad as Davis. You see that very whining in any competitive game forum. Did you miss the piles of it in Ps2?

no theres feck all class whine in ps2.

because there aren't any classes.

All you pveers bang on about pvp class whine.  But thats because you are coming from games like wow where all the PVP is in a little box.  Of course class imbalance shows up more when your in a 5 vs 5 match, than it does in FFA PVP or RVR PVP games.

jimdandy26

Apprentice Member

5/16/13 2:19:41 PM#140

no theres feck all class whine in ps2.

because there aren't any classes.

All you pveers bang on about pvp class whine.  But thats because you are coming from games like wow where all the PVP is in a little box.  Of course class imbalance shows up more when your in a 5 vs 5 match, than it does in FFA PVP or RVR PVP games.

Yes, instead of whining about classes they whine about which faction is more over/under powered. And do not even attempt to imply its all on "pve'ers". Pvpers do it just as much. Look at any high level game where there is a meta.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search